Gallaudet University's Hearing Undergraduate program

VamPyroX said:
I have a friend who is going to Gallaudet for graduate school... she's hearing too.

The hearing people are taking over! Damn those audist hearing people who think they can go to Gallaudet... Oh wait...

At any rate, that's awesome for your friend! If I end up majoring in education I'm planning on their 5 year program. With that you get a bachelor's in regular education and a master's in deaf education.

me_punctured said:
Look what you've done! I never said anything of the sort.

I'm on a personal quest to up the enrollment. I'm doing what I can. :)

you know, I'd like to go to gally for their graudate social work program, and i'm hearing. anyone know what it's like for hearing grads (VamPyroX, your friend's experience maybe you might know about)? also, i know the rate is low for HUGs, whats it like for HGs?

Justin

---
"In the great journey of life, some how, some way, I always seem to end up taking the stairs..."

jhender said:
you know, I'd like to go to gally for their graudate social work program, and i'm hearing. anyone know what it's like for hearing grads (VamPyroX, your friend's experience maybe you might know about)? also, i know the rate is low for HUGs, whats it like for HGs?

Justin

---
"In the great journey of life, some how, some way, I always seem to end up taking the stairs..."

The graduate program actually has more hearing students than deaf students, according to their enrollment statistics for the last several years. Couldn't tell you much more than that. :)

ayala920 said:
The graduate program actually has more hearing students than deaf students, according to their enrollment statistics for the last several years. Couldn't tell you much more than that. :)

ah! thanks for that link, really really helpful! :D

Justin

-

I'm bumping this in hopes some new eyes may set on it. Its something I'm still heavily considering. I'm about 90% sure I want to try for admission. There's just several issues to work out, such as tuition, reccomendation letters, where to live, etc.

Anyone have any more input. What are the questions I should be asking myself?

It's grand that hearing students are going to Gallaudet. They will be more understandable and adaptive to the needs of deaf people. The hearing people who go to Gallaudet hopefully will serve as bridges between the deaf and hearing society.

Richard

I'm bumping this in hopes some new eyes may set on it. Its something I'm still heavily considering. I'm about 90% sure I want to try for admission. There's just several issues to work out, such as tuition, reccomendation letters, where to live, etc.

Anyone have any more input. What are the questions I should be asking myself?

Here are a few questions to chew on:
Why do you want to go to Gallaudet?
Will you be comfortable participating in the Gallaudet community?
Does Gallaudet offer what you are seeking? Academically and socially?

And again, allow me to reiterate, well, expand what ayala920 said about ASL immersion. You don't need to go to spend an inordinate amount of money to attend Gallaudet so you can learn ASL and use it everyday. There are several other places to accomplish this.

Does the HUG progra offer the degree you will need for your future?

No thanks about go to Gallaudet... I rather go to NTID because of web design and graphic design.

Hearing people will have a hard time to make friends with a "cool" deaf people at Gallaudet University. :afro:

Here are a few questions to chew on:

And again, allow me to reiterate, well, expand what ayala920 said about ASL immersion. You don't need to go to spend an inordinate amount of money to attend Gallaudet so you can learn ASL and use it everyday. There are several other places to accomplish this.

I understand where you're coming from concerning the concept of immersion, but I think Gallaudet would be the best setting for me to master ASL. My intentions, right now, are to get my Bachelor's in interpreting. There's a lot more reasons, but some are personal.

Hearing people will have a hard time to make friends with a "cool" deaf people at Gallaudet University. :afro:

Whaddaya mean? In general, breaking into "elite" cliques at any school is not easy for most people.

And nobody should get rejected in the Deaf world, just like how it happens too often to everyone in the REAL (read: hearing) world. But human creatures have a tendency to categorize each other for, perhaps, evolutionary purposes.

C'est la vie.

I understand where you're coming from concerning the concept of immersion, but I think Gallaudet would be the best setting for me to master ASL. My intentions, right now, are to get my Bachelor's in interpreting. There's a lot more reasons, but some are personal.

Good luck! Have you started filling out your application yet?

Whaddaya mean? In general, breaking into "elite" cliques at any school is not easy for most people.

And nobody should get rejected in the Deaf world, just like how it happens too often to everyone in the REAL (read: hearing) world. But human creatures have a tendency to categorize each other for, perhaps, evolutionary purposes.

C'est la vie.

It may be a clique, but my perspective is for those deaf people (including myself) do not have a interest to slow down for those hearing people, who tried to learn the ASL.

We, deaf, hearing, blind, doctors, policeman, lawyers, mental retarded people do have a clique, and most of them never learned about clique from parents, except school. (late)

Ponatno, sto protschent bolvan.

The "real" aspect of a preceived reality is highly debatable and very subjective to interpretion. It is just so that the more people hold a certain perception of reality, the more power it feeds the illusion of being a "real" reality. IMO. ;)

Aside from that, guido, just go for it if you think you can benefit from going to Gallaudet. As for insider info on HUG program, I'd look into contacting somebody named "G" - I believe he was one of the first ones to enroll as HUG at gally.

It may be a clique, but my perspective is for those deaf people (including myself) do not have a interest to slow down for those hearing people, who tried to learn the ASL.

We, deaf, hearing, blind, doctors, policeman, lawyers, mental retarded people do have a clique, and most of them never learned about clique from parents, except school. (late)

Ponatno, sto protschent bolvan.

The majority of the hearing students who come to Gallaudet are already ASL fluent and don't need anyone to "slow down." While I do occassionally ask people to repeat, the number of times which I do this seems about equal to how often I ask other hearing people to repeat.

Most people at Gallaudet are pretty open-minded and receptive to the HUG students. We are like any other students: People will like or dislike us based on our personalities, not our ability or inability to hear. Most of the people I've met who have an issue with me being hearing have been freshmen, as the older students are more accepting of diversity.

I'm a college student whos interested in the HUGS program. I know this thread is old but i thought i'd say something on it any way. I'm going to answer the questions that me_punctured asked and i still would like as much information from former or current H.U.G.S. students and Gallaudet students and the community in general.

My answer to that is for the longest time one of my good friends was deaf and it wasn't until i was a teenager that i realized. It made me want to know sign language so we could have talked with out her sisters being the medium. Not only that but as a teacher i should want to reach and include any student that walks through the door into my classroom deaf children included.
To be able to build a stronger bond with the Deaf.(hope i'm not offending anyone with the capitalization) Create strong ties in the community that I can rely on to help me grow as a person and educator. As well as create better understanding tolerance with the hearing world.

I would like to say Yes, to this question but, I'm not entirely sure as to what Is meant by the Gallaudet community.

Yes, there is one deaf education 5 year program in the college in my state and then i found that there the same thing for hearing students at Gallaudet, which to me would be like going to the Bently of colleges to learn to be a teacher of deaf education.

Back