Gallaudet University's Hearing Undergraduate program

guido

Reaction score
I was conversing with a friend recently about my prospective future, and the suggestion came up that I should look into attending Gallaudet's HUG program. I was reading about it on Gallaudet's website, and the requirements and standards don't seem too untangible for me. For awhile, I have not known what I want to do with my future. I haven't known what I want to go to school for or to do for a career. I've considered interpretting, sociology, audiology, etc. I just haven't completely settled on an idea. I was wanting to get everyone's thoughts on the program. Are there any HUG attendees here? How has your experience been? Any and all input will be considered useful in helping me to reach a decision in whether this is something I should pursue.

I'm entering this fall as a HUG, and I absolutely cannot wait!

I can't answer several of your questions, obviously, since I'm not there yet. However, I have been to the campus for visits more than a handful of times, and I have quite a few friends who go there/have gone there, so I can tell you a lot about it. Ask away!

I'm just interested in a general description of experience, such as interaction with other students, what classes are life, what majors are open to hearing undergraduates. Anything you're willing to share, please do.

guido said:
I'm just interested in a general description of experience, such as interaction with other students, what classes are life, what majors are open to hearing undergraduates. Anything you're willing to share, please do.

Maybe you could contact Gallaudet University's admissions office and ask to get in touch with a few HUG students. A campus visit would be the ideal way of gathering information about the HUG program by talking to the students, visiting classes and observing the scene.

Good luck!

I definetely intend on a campus visit, but if I were to attend, it would not be until at least Fall 2008.

Well, I can't tell you exactly what classes are like (ask me in a few months!), but I might be able to help with the other things.

Any majors are open to hearing students, technically. The idea behind the HUG program was to let in hearing students who wanted to work in a deaf-related field. So one could major in, say, English, but it probably wouldn't be viewed favorably unless that person was planning on teaching English to deaf kids. So majors like interpreting and education are really popular for the hearing kids. Personally, I'm doing psychology as a minor, since I currently work as an interpreter in a treatment facility and would like to do something related when I leave. I'm undecided on my major, but it's between education and deaf studies. I've time. :)

Interactions: I hear a lot of bitching about whether or not Gally is open to non-DEAF (you get what I mean by the capitalization?), non-ASL using students, whether they're hard-of-hearing, implanted, mainstream, whatever. I think the majority of it depends on the attitude of the person in question. I'm going to Gallaudet knowing some pretty popular students on campus (with both faculty and students), so I have a good foot in the door because they already know me and my personality. The people who have problems are the ones who go in there with egos the size of Texas, with holier-than-thou attitudes. If you're laid back and open-minded, most people aren't going to give you much crap.

The only major gripe I've heard about the HUG students is regarding the ones who don't sign well or who speak without signing. I've personally witnessed hearing students walking across campus to class, chatting away with other hearing students and not signing. In those situations, yeah, deaf people get pissed, but I do too because it's just rude.

me_punctured said:
Maybe you could contact Gallaudet University's admissions office and ask to get in touch with a few HUG students. A campus visit would be the ideal way of gathering information about the HUG program by talking to the students, visiting classes and observing the scene.

Good luck!

Agreed. They're really good with setting up tours and meetings with representatives from different departments/offices.

I think everyone should go there for a visit, especially those with friends entering in the fall. :whistle:

Nother question: Is it mandatory that you seek a degree for deaf-related work? I'm very interested in sociology, but I'm not entirely sure what sort of careers opportunities that would provide me with.

ayala920 said:
Agreed. They're really good with setting up tours and meetings with representatives from different departments/offices.

I think everyone should go there for a visit, especially those with friends entering in the fall. :whistle:

Lady, you don't have to be so subtle about it! ;)

guido said:
Nother question: Is it mandatory that you seek a degree for deaf-related work? I'm very interested in sociology, but I'm not entirely sure what sort of careers opportunities that would provide me with.

I don't think you have to, necessarily, but people would certainly questions your motives for choosing Gallaudet. Why go to Gallaudet if you don't plan in working in a deaf-related field? You can major in sociology anywhere. Admissions would probably give you a hard time.

I see. My ultimate motivation for considering attending is to finally give me the full immersion in deaf culture that I would need to help my ASL skills. I haven't ruled out a deaf-related career, but at this point in my life, I'm keeping all my options open.

guido said:
I see. My ultimate motivation for considering attending is to finally give me the full immersion in deaf culture that I would need to help my ASL skills. I haven't ruled out a deaf-related career, but at this point in my life, I'm keeping all my options open.

Personally, I'd find a better way to spend $24,000/year. It's AWESOME that you want to learn ASL, but if you aren't planning on using it daily, there really isn't much of a reason to spend that much money.

Eyeth said:
I'll say! Me_punctured- Does that imply you'll be pursuing (I'm assuming, graduate-level) studies at Gally?

Yes, yes it does!

*runs and hides*

ayala920 said:
Personally, I'd find a better way to spend $24,000/year. It's AWESOME that you want to learn ASL, but if you aren't planning on using it daily, there really isn't much of a reason to spend that much money.

Well, don't think that is my only reason. Like I said, this is only something I am considering and I'm not go on it yet, but I haven't ruled anything out.

guido said:
Well, don't think that is my only reason. Like I said, this is only something I am considering and I'm not go on it yet, but I haven't ruled anything out.

I know. :) I'm just pointing out that it's a very pricey university.

I have a friend who is going to Gallaudet for graduate school... she's hearing too.

Back