Gallaudet Protests

Again, thank you VamPyroX. I 'm curious to see if this fall's protests will have any kind of impact.

After reading her commnents in that article, I can see that some of their complaints have merit.

I heard rumors that Jane K. Fernandes resigns but not sure if it is true. I have a personal conflict with Jane in the past and not a very friendly person. She have a strong tie with coclear implant and believes that every deaf person should get it.

For some reason I have not heard much about this in my area, even in the deaf community, but there's so much discussion about it here I've been out of the loop. So thanks for posting the article.

Actually, Jane Fernandes did resgin... from her position as Provost. She now will set up a search comitee with I. King Jordan to dins a successor at Provost.

Yes, more of the Deaf across the country are expected to come to join the protests to solidify the demands. J. K says that coming more produces useful issues for her position and it will help her focus on the issues brought by the protests. She seems interested in analyzing the cases and repairing the attitudes rather than resigning. What a woman she is! She may look not right for the president position on the view of us, the deaf, because of her late learning ASL, though that she keeps on struggling to complete her mission- to win and to become a Gallaudet president, she promises herself. For various info about Gallaudet brought by Google feeds, can see them in www.deafwiki.org

Since she stepped down from her position as a provost. Did Dr. Karen Kimmel take over?

Mookie said:
Are you aware that Karen Kimmel is deaf impaired?
Yes I know she isn't d/Deaf. Her position as provost is not permanent as expected. I am sure the next Provost will be someone, popular with the d/Deaf community.

Brian said:
Yes I know she isn't d/Deaf. Her position as provost is not permanent as expected. I am sure the next Provost will be someone, popular with the d/Deaf community.

I am sure that JF would trust KK to be a provost. Why can't she trust another deaf candidate for the provost position this year? JF does not have much patience.....whoa...does that mean there is something going on in Provost Office that shes does not want to let anyone finding out the serects? Probably, JF's new president position would not be ruined until Jan. 2007...

Aftermath of the protest was not necessarily positive; several faculty staffs at Gallaudet were wrongfully dismissed such as Dr. Zoltan. However, He was asked to leave Gallaudet before the protest begins. There was a scandal in Mathematics & Computer Science department where the professors were ordered to fail students regardless of their class performance. Dean/Chairperson of Mathematics & Computer Science, Karen Kimmel, sent out e-mails to the professors and asked them to fail the students. Even those who are actually passing the course…

05/17/06

Wow, I am in such a dilemma. I just finished my first year of school @ Gallaudet. I also plan to come back and pursue a degree. I am feeling less and less confident in Gallaudet as things unfold concerning Fernandes.

This is one big f-ed up in gallaudent right now. I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

Here is extra kerosene to the to the Gally bonfire!

NAD Announces I. King Jordan to Give 2006 Conference Keynote
http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=1682541

The "JKF syndrome" is probably spreading out already!

Maybe its high time someone starts paying attention to what's going on.

I need to see a rally soon if we're going to salvage the deaf communities!

I MEAN REAL SOON!

Richard

WhoKnows said:
From my understanding, Deaf people are trying to keep our deaf culture strong and would like to see more deaf employees becoming an executive officier in the high level management among the hearing employees. That way it will give a better role model for our deaf children. Actually, it is very rare for deaf person to have that high profile opportunity.

That is reason we are fighting about.

I see, but this isn't helping them. --

They went to deaf school and they graduated from deaf school. They went to deaf college and they graduated from deaf college. Now they're trying to find the deaf jobs, I don't think they have much chance at that. This world is not deaf world. This is hearing world. I hope they have a good luck finding them because they don't know how to deal with hearing people. They have to accept the fact that this is hearing world and blend with them.

The point is that they can keep their cultures at home and don't let their brain rust. Jane K. Fernandes might help deaf students so much than they'll ever realize... They need to LEARN and CHALLENGE themselves with HEARING WORLD. We all should go to college to get diplomas, not socializing or partying around or keep our cultures alive... That's not the reason why we are going to college for...

Demise said:
I see, but this isn't helping them. --

They went to deaf school and they graduated from deaf school. They went to deaf college and they graduated from deaf college. Now they're trying to find the deaf jobs, I don't think they have much chance at that. This world is not deaf world. This is hearing world. I hope they have a good luck finding them because they don't know how to deal with hearing people. They have to accept the fact that this is hearing world and blend with them.

The point is that they can keep their cultures at home and don't let their brain rust. Jane K. Fernandes might help deaf students so much than they'll ever realize... They need to LEARN and CHALLENGE themselves with HEARING WORLD. We all should go to college to get diplomas, not socializing or partying around or keep our cultures alive... That's not the reason why we are going to college for...
I agree.

Us deafies can't expect the world to revolve around us. It's time to move on. :)

Seemingly on the eve of NAD's conference, Gallaudet broadcasts out a message that could possibly light the fuse to a long string of fireworks in the deaf community.

Lets sit back and enjoy the string of fireworks that starts on the deaf grapevine.

You'll find it at Ridorlive.com

Richard

Back