Gallaudet Protests

ayala920 said:
Seeing as I wasn't making any personal attacks on him, or being offensive in any way, I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for the warning anyway.
Don't worry about pushing my buttons.

I have nothing against freedom of speech, but there is also respect.

You can say whatever you want, but if it offends anyone in an inappropriate manner... then that's a problem.

hootster said:
Again Rockdrummer,

This was the post I was agreeing to. Notice he did the same thing you got on to me for? He didnt put SOME deaf people.

Yet, for some reason, you decided to focus on mine and ignore his. ummm.
Hooster, Please know that I am not singling you out. I don't get to read every single post in a thread. As much as I try, I just don't have the time. Had I read that post I would have responded to it in the same way I have many times on that subject. Just go to my profile and look at my posts and you will find many to various people saying the same thing, I am not singling you out so please don't take it that way.

rockdrummer said:
Hooster, Please know that I am not singling you out. I don't get to read every single post in a thread. As much as I try, I just don't have the time. Had I read that post I would have responded to it in the same way I have many times on that subject. Just go to my profile and look at my posts and you will find many to various people saying the same thing, I am not singling you out so please don't take it that way.

Hey, dont worry about it. I m not holding that against you anymore.

I posted that before we resolved our misunderstandings in another thread. I was trying to make a point before.

VamPyroX said:
Oh boy, here we go again!

First, deaf people bitch and complain that hearing people won't accept them. Yet, deaf people bitch and complain that they don't want a hearing person (or a hard-of-hearing person) to work for them. :roll:

SEE, I DONT UNDERSTAND...Why cant I cuss? Look at Vampy...he cussed and said bitch!

coloravalanche said:
SEE, I DONT UNDERSTAND...Why cant I cuss? Look at Vampy...he cussed and said bitch!

I have to be careful when I used my middle finger. The thunderstorm light sparking on my middle finger. I got burn my beautiful nail. I cant use my middle finger anymore. :fu:

j/k I try very hard to be :angel: 98% in my life. No more cuss

coloravalanche said:

VamPyroX said:
You can say whatever you want, but if it offends anyone in an inappropriate manner... then that's a problem.

What part of this don't you understand? When using profanity in the form of a direct comment to another member constitutes a problem here in AD. Does that make it more clear now? If not, 'pm' me and I'll be happy to explain further. ;)

hootster said:
Hey, dont worry about it. I m not holding that against you anymore. I posted that before we resolved our misunderstandings in another thread. I was trying to make a point before.
Ahhh... Cool.. Cheers brutha! :cheers:

what Dr. E. Lynn Jacobowitz said at the open forum with the BoT members
The following English translation of an inspirational and confrontational personal statement made using American Sign Language has been approved and accepted for release by Dr. E. Lynn Jacobowitz, a Gallaudet professor. Her comments were made in a recent open forum Friday evening, May 5, 2006) where Gallaudet Board of Trustee members Celia May Baldwin Interim Chair) and Tom Humphries were in attendance.

To see a video of her comments, go to www.bisontv.com Click on "Forum (Part Three, 38.9 MB)". She appears 8 minutes and 35 seconds into the clip, wearing a brown shirt. Another (blurry) video can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/ofkxf, which starts in the middle of her comments.

[Professor Jacobowitz came onto the stage and the audience waved their hands as a show of respect.]

DR. LYNN JACOBOWITZ: [to the audience]: Thank you, thank you...

[Jacobowitz turns to the two Gallaudet Board of Trustee members, Interim Chairperson Celia May Baldwin and Dr. Thomas Humphries]: I thank you for giving up your time to come here and meet with us...

[Facing the audience] I also thank all of you for coming here. I am going to explain to you why we believe strongly that the presidential search process was totally and completely flawed.

First of all, a while back when [current] President King Jordan announced his retirement, he committed a Freudian slip by referring to Provost Fernandes as being the "next president [of Gallaudet]", and then he immediately corrected himself.

[Baldwin and Humphries appear stunned.]

JACOBOWITZ [continuing]: You can look on the DVD [to see it for yourselves]... Secondly, did you know that King Jordan sent out an e-mail announcing that his office had hired the consulting firm that was to work with the presidential search committee?

[Baldwin and Humphries shake their heads "no." Humphries interjects, claiming that the Board itself interviewed a few consulting firms and selected one.]

JACOBOWITZ [continuing]: It really was announced in a memo sent out by King Jordan that he was the one that had hired the consulting firm...[asking audience]... Am I correct?...

AUDIENCE [signing nearly in unison]: Yes, yes, yes!

JACOBOWITZ [continuing]: Thirdly, on the first night of the protest at the front of the campus [at Gallaudet]--

JACOBOWITZ [to Baldwin and Humphries]: You weren't there--

JACOBOWITZ [continuing]: King Jordan said to everyone--And I quote King Jordan verbatim--Quote: "I have a very [stressed], very [stressed] positive relationship with the Board of Trustees."--And then he said: "I represent the Board of Trustees."

[To the audience:] Do you all remember him saying that?

AUDIENCE [nearly in unison]: Yes, yes, yes!

JACOBOWITZ [to Baldwin and Humphries]: How can you say that King Jordan was neutral and then also say that he was not involved in the hiring process?

JACOBOWITZ [continuing]: I don't trust you two [pointing to Baldwin and Humphries]. I don't trust the Board of Trustees. I don't trust King Jordan. I'm very, very sorry. I used to think the world of him. I loved him. I loved him to death, because he was my professor, my academic adviser, and our dean [and president]... I used to look up to King Jordan, but now after what has happened, my trust in him and confidence in him as a person has completely collapsed and hit rock bottom. On top of that, what's worse is that you, the Board, did not listen to any of us. You didn't listen to the world. King has been twisting your arms all along.

[Jacobowitz bows her head and quietly walks off stage to a standing ovation from a full house.]

Translated by Brian Riley, Ben Bahan, Chris Heuer, E. Lynn Jacobowitz, Patti Raswant. The voice interpreter at the open forum was Bobby Loeffler, who also has verified the accuracy of this translation.

DeafLinux said:
The solution for this Presidency problem is to nominate Richard Rohem for President of Gallaudet University. Jane Fernandes will run away for sure. :bump:

:deal: ?
:shock: :shock: uh huh...yeah right..you must be on something tonight! :ugh2: :ugh2:

DeafLinux said:
The solution for this Presidency problem is to nominate Richard Rohem for President of Gallaudet University. Jane Fernandes will run away for sure. :bump:

:deal: ?

I can handle the deaf elitist demonstrators and I can handle the school! Thanks I accept. If Jane runs away, I can find another dog for the dog house on my side.

Richard

FERNANDES SAYS IT’S ALL ABOUT ‘DEAF ENOUGH’

Jane Fernandes has no intention of withdrawing, reported The Washington Post, and she believes she is caught in a cultural debate over what it means to be “deaf enough.” Fernandes was born deaf but went to mainstream public schools and did not learn sign language until she was 23. “We’re in a little bit of an identity politics struggle on campus regarding who speaks for deaf people,” she told the Post. In the National Examiner, she said, “I’m not the right kind of deaf person.” But opponents said the issues are more complex. For some, it’s about race; for others, it concerns an out-of-touch board and a search process that seemed rigged from the start; and for still others, it’s about personality. On Friday, nine professors with backgrounds similar to Fernandes wrote in an open letter that she misunderstood her opposition; the real issues, they said, are a flawed search process and ineffective leadership

FACULTY IN NO-CONFIDENCE VOTE AGAINST FERNANDES

Jane Fernandes received a no-confidence vote from faculty members on Monday, reported The Associated Press. The non-binding 93-43 vote was cheered by dozens of students and alumni waiting outside during the voting. “If the board ignores the faculty, they ignore the entire university,” said senior Anthony Mowl, a senior from Fishers, Ind. who graduates this week. Fernandes, who has been provost since 2000, is set to become president in January at the 1,900-student school. I. King Jordan, who became Gallaudet’s president during the 1988 Deaf President Now protest, told the AP, “We are squabbling about what it means to be deaf.” But selecting a president is not a “popularity contest,” he said, and the current protest should not be compared to the one that swept him into office.

Jeez!!!!! Nesmuth is the wrong person to be the president for Gallaudet.. Scoffs! after all he harrassed me. Thats stupid to bring this up.. :crazy:

I dont find this is funny at all. :crazy:

It looks like they're just following the recent US trend of picking people with Latin-American last names. :crazy:

I King Jordan have been deaf for 39 yrs.. and Jane have been deaf for what how long? i dont know.. but she didnt learn sign languge till she was 23 yrs old?

so whats wrong with this picture? why did I King Jordan was elected as Prez ..but he knew ASL and is fluent in it.. yet Jane was elected but no one accepted her just cuz shes not deaf enough? just cuz she is hearing imparied and know sign language? i just want to undy?? sighs..

Luckysmile23 said:
I King Jordan have been deaf for 39 yrs.. and Jane have been deaf for what how long? i dont know.. but she didnt learn sign languge till she was 23 yrs old?

so whats wrong with this picture? why did I King Jordan was elected as Prez ..but he knew ASL and is fluent in it.. yet Jane was elected but no one accepted her just cuz shes not deaf enough? just cuz she is hearing imparied and know sign language? i just want to undy?? sighs..
Among the reasons for the protest are that she is too paternalistic and that they discriminated racially.

For more information and some letters that explain this in great detail, see http://www.gallyfssa.org/

Back