Gallaudet President Announced!!

Y said:
Hey Javapride :applause:

Thats why I have to avoid some
of these links !!! Sigh...

Yeah, I mentioned at
another thread "Gallaudet Protests"
that this Tent City looks more something like the
Deaf Timberfest is taking over Gallaudet University :)

Photos shown at Another thread "Gallaudet Protests"
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=521856&postcount=79

Hmm, it looks like they're having the Ball.

They forgot to bring a beer keg. :)

To be honest, I'm feeling overwhelmed by all of this. I can understand where everyone is coming from but I need to share this.

I grew up as "hearing", not learning ASL until I was 17 years old and I attended RIT, taking mainstreamed classes with a sign language interpreter BUT I was involved in a deaf sorority and I consider myself to be Deaf, not deaf. By seeing what people are saying about this, that they want a Deaf president, not a deaf president, it makes me feel like I cannot be involved in the Deaf community just because I didn't learn sign language until a later age. I didn't become immersed into Deaf culture until a later age so does that mean I won't be welcome in the Deaf community? What is wrong with me? Nothing!! I'm not sorry that my parents put me in a mainstreamed school and I am proud that I have the ability to interact in both worlds, hearing and Deaf.

I believe that this is sending out mixed messages to those who did not grow up in the Deaf community by saying we are not welcome. Does that mean in 20 years, if I had all the educational requirements, experience, I would not be selected to be a president just because of my background? That is so wrong. It makes me feel discouraged. I have a feeling that this can lead to a gap between those who are strongly Deaf and those who are not.

SilverPanda said:
To be honest, I'm feeling overwhelmed by all of this. I can understand where everyone is coming from but I need to share this.

I grew up as "hearing", not learning ASL until I was 17 years old and I attended RIT, taking mainstreamed classes with a sign language interpreter BUT I was involved in a deaf sorority and I consider myself to be Deaf, not deaf. By seeing what people are saying about this, that they want a Deaf president, not a deaf president, it makes me feel like I cannot be involved in the Deaf community just because I didn't learn sign language until a later age. I didn't become immersed into Deaf culture until a later age so does that mean I won't be welcome in the Deaf community? What is wrong with me? Nothing!! I'm not sorry that my parents put me in a mainstreamed school and I am proud that I have the ability to interact in both worlds, hearing and Deaf.

I believe that this is sending out mixed messages to those who did not grow up in the Deaf community by saying we are not welcome. Does that mean in 20 years, if I had all the educational requirements, experience, I would not be selected to be a president just because of my background? That is so wrong. It makes me feel discouraged. I have a feeling that this can lead to a gap between those who are strongly Deaf and those who are not.

:werd: Eloquently well posted-- ;)

Kalista said:
They forgot to bring a beer keg. :)

Uh, actually there were a few across the street on Florida Ave. They were located at various student's houses. There ain't no stopping a college student these days.

If this continue, then let's change the name
"Gallaudet University" to "Timberfest University"

Just to teach survival, where not to step over the
borderlines, how to respect, how to earn peace,
how to be more tactful, how to be financial independent,
how to catch or stop embezzlement etc.

SilverPanda said:

Well, I understand that, but isn't this protest all about another entire thing? I know there are things that have been mentioned about the fact she's not 100% deaf, culturally and spiritually. There is a letter by FSSA editoral team, claiming there's a misinterpretation about the purpose of this protest.

As a group of faculty with backgrounds very similar to your own – we grew up orally, in public or private schools, and did not learn sign language or become involved with the Deaf Community until later in life – we strongly object to your misrepresentation of our protest. Our protest is centered upon two issues: (1) a flawed search process, and (2) effective leadership. The Faculty, Staff, Students and Alumni (FSSA) Coalition, which we support, is perhaps the most diverse group to come together at Gallaudet University.

then,

Your misrepresentation of our protest clearly demonstrates that you have not heard us in the most meaningful sense. Our protest is about inclusiveness, and your apparent inability or unwillingness to understand our message further confirms our belief fabout your inability to lead; indeed, your response represents a missed opportunity to show strong leadership that can bring our community together.

I, myself, accept whoever regarding his/her background with his/her deafness, but we gotta look at what he/she has done for the school and the outcome of it. According to Gally students, they've disapproved her after 6 years as a provost.

Serendipity said:
Well, I understand that, but isn't this protest all about another entire thing? I know there are things that have been mentioned about the fact she's not 100% deaf, culturally and spiritually. There is a letter by FSSA editoral team, claiming there's a misinterpretation about the purpose of this protest.

then,

I, myself, accept whoever regarding his/her background with his/her deafness, but we gotta look at what he/she has done for the school and the outcome of it. According to Gally students, they've disapproved her after 6 years as a provost.

Yes there has been a lot of misrepresentation, especially in the media. But when I spoke with several friends (who are Gally students) and I asked them why they were against JK, and most of their responses were that she was not Deaf enough. That is what really made me feel overwhelmed and VERY unwelcome.

I agree that if the students and staff were unsatisified with her performance the past 6 years then they have the right to have her removed. It's like if you work for someone who does not do a good job, you won't feel motivated to keep up your good work. There will be a lower sense of belonging and lower morale at Gallaudet especially among the faculty.

I'm just afraid that people from allover the world are getting the wrong message from the misrepresentation in the media because the hearing parents are probably thinking that they won't send their deaf children to Gallaudet. This could be a major problem in the long run.

SilverPanda said:
Yes there has been a lot of misrepresentation, especially in the media. But when I spoke with several friends (who are Gally students) and I asked them why they were against JK, and most of their responses were that she was not Deaf enough. That is what really made me feel overwhelmed and VERY unwelcome.

I agree that if the students and staff were unsatisified with her performance the past 6 years then they have the right to have her removed. It's like if you work for someone who does not do a good job, you won't feel motivated to keep up your good work. There will be a lower sense of belonging and lower morale at Gallaudet especially among the faculty.

I'm just afraid that people from allover the world are getting the wrong message from the misrepresentation in the media because the hearing parents are probably thinking that they won't send their deaf children to Gallaudet. This could be a major problem in the long run.

What can you say about media hype? They're the problem. They're overrated. They send wrong signs to people all over the world,"Oh, Gallaudet isn't accepting someone who isn't fully deaf, so get the hell out of here". I'm not bit surprised there's a media hype about it. But look at the bright side, there are several websites, (mostly blogs), and FSSA website giving out more accurate informations. It's pretty accessible to deaf people and people who are exposed to deaf culture than it is to rest of the population. That's the problem. The entire world is yet find the actual information.

Why I’m Protesting
By Anthony Mowl

My younger brother celebrated his first birthday at a campus protest. It was 1988, and my Mom, a Gallaudet University graduate, had been following the growing student movement to demand a deaf president at her alma mater. She couldn’t stand being 400 miles away, in Rochester, N.Y. So never mind that my youngest brother was still nursing. She took him with her, and joined the Deaf President Now movement.

I’m not sure when I first learned of the movement. But I can’t remember not knowing I. King Jordan — the president whose appointment was the result of that movement — as a symbol of what was possible for me. My mother told me stories, and I grew up with Gallaudet. There was no other university for me. I’m the fourth generation in my family to be born deaf, and the third to attend Gallaudet.

I’m a senior so I should have been spending this week celebrating (when not studying for my last round of finals). Instead I’ve been protesting, with hundreds of my fellow students, over the appointment of Jordan’s successor. It’s difficult to explain to the outside world just what we’re doing, and granted it’s difficult to understand. After all, the trustees picked a deaf woman, who has spent much of her career at Gallaudet. What’s all the fuss about?

o best understand what’s happening now, you need to know that the Gallaudet I grew up with is not the Gallaudet I am graduating from. Whereas going to Gallaudet and demanding a deaf president were once part of simply affirming our pride in ourselves and our right to basic human needs, students want more today. In fact, some deaf students don’t even want to attend Gallaudet or the deaf high schools most of us attended because a range of opportunities are now available elsewhere. Many of those opportunities exist because of civil rights laws for people with disabilities — laws the Deaf President Now movement had a hand in getting enacted.

But that doesn’t mean Gallaudet’s historic role isn’t part of why people care so much.
The university matters to the millions of deaf people around the world who have never visited it, who can only dream of enrolling in what is widely considered the “Deaf Mecca.” That’s no surprise when you consider that more than 80 percent of all deaf people in the world who have college degrees earned them at Gallaudet. Because of the hereditary link to some forms of deafness, many deaf people are like me, from deaf families, allowing us to share a passion that comes when so many of those you are closest to grew up with the same experience.

Jordan isn’t just a college president, but is a spokesman for deaf men and women around the world. The board that needed to be pressured into promoting him never assigned him that role, but it came about naturally because of the Deaf President Now movement. When he announced his retirement after 18 years, word shot around the globe in minutes. Everybody wanted a say in who is going to replace King, the man who lived up to his name.

There’s no doubt that with the departure of Jordan, Gallaudet will assume a new direction. In the 18 years since Deaf President Now, we’ve shown the world that deaf people are in fact capable of doing anything except hearing. That’s the Catch-22. DPN made it possible for deaf students to go to any college in the United States and be successful. Gallaudet has stayed symbolic, inspiring those who go to Princeton, but not always attracting those same students. We have always been the best deaf university in the world, because competition is so thin. But we’re not satisfied with that. We want the best and brightest students, the ones who now have educational opportunities that were never available before. And that’s why we need a president with all the right qualities, not just someone who shares our deafness.

When the board selected Jordan in 1988, students were thrilled that a deaf educator got the job. But the reality is that they didn’t know what kind of president he’d become. My mother took his psychology class in 1973, and could never fathom him becoming president some day. Fortunately, Jordan did just the kinds of things that presidents are expected to do (and that people previously assumed deaf people couldn’t do): He raised money, he oversaw huge endowment growth, he presided over the planning of new facilities, he dealt with campus controversies — making both popular and unpopular decisions. In the end though, he was as good as advertised. Jordan’s tenure as president will always be marked by the history made with his appointment, but it also is marked by normalcy – by Jordan doing what presidents do.

And that’s what people are missing about the protests this week. They aren’t about us reliving Deaf President Now, trying to get our 15 minutes. The protests are about concerns we have that are just like those of other students at other campuses. On many campuses these days, students feel disconnected from trustees and from decision-making, and that — in the end — is what’s going on here. Jane Fernandes, whom the board selected as president, has served as provost for the last six years. There are no doubt better candidates for the position in our eyes. But what truly is upsetting is that students weren’t listened to at all. We were stunned by the decision — and started the protests — because an extensive system had been set up to seek our views, and we provided them. Then we were ignored. Sadly, the trustees’ willingness to only pay lip service to student opinions is not at all unique to our university.

Part of what is unique to Gallaudet is the role of its president well beyond its campus. When Lawrence Summers said some foolish things about women, he didn’t bring down the reputation of all colleges and universities. People said Harvard had a bad president, they didn’t stop paying attention to academe. One of the reasons we are concerned about Fernandes (who is not a bad person) is that she’s an administrator, not a leader. We don’t have the luxury of just going with someone who knows how to balance a budget — we need more. We need someone who — like Jordan — knows everyone on campus and their families, and who can be eloquent with the media, politicians, and philanthropists. Someone who can navigate the tough issues we face – of how to attract students and define our institution’s mission in an ever changing world. In an era when people talk about “cures” for deafness, when deaf students can demand sign interpreters to go to any institution, when technology has created huge new opportunities for the deaf, Gallaudet is at a turning point.

And here too, what we want now is different from what Deaf President Now was pushing for. After 1988, we told ourselves that Gallaudet would never again see a hearing president, and only now are we able to affirm that sentiment. But with the advances of the last 18 years, deafness alone isn’t enough. We want the same kind of “good fit” that all colleges need in a president. And to say that we should be happy to have a deaf president is insulting. If Harvard makes a bad choice for president and students protest, you won’t see people saying, “Well they should just be happy that the president can hear.” Actually I’d like to see our provost considered for a presidency elsewhere, where her particular skill set would be a better fit. And I’d be proud of her for achieving such a high post in a hearing world.

Those still trying to make sense of our protests should understand that what is happening is part of a broader social movement. Gallaudet is a microcosm of colleges everywhere, where students are growing increasingly tired of being ignored. (Just witness students forcing change at the University of Miami over how their janitors are treated or at many institutions over investment in Sudan.) Keep in mind that this isn’t just Gallaudet. But the source of our passion?

It is Gallaudet.

Tears of Pamela Holmes

-----Original Message-----

Subject: Fw: [GallyNet-L] From the Observatory III: The Tears of Pamela
Holmes
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 16:05:32 -0700

From: GallyNet Administration <gallynet_admin@gallynet.org>
To: GallyNet-L Forum <gallynet-l@gallynet.org>
Subject: [GallyNet-L] From the Observatory III: The Tears of Pamela
Holmes
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 16:44:34 -0400

Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 13:29:33 -0700 (PDT)

Karen Kimmel, Dean of CLAST

Last Monday, Karen Kimmel summoned all CAPSS and CLAST “hands” to
her office to state the official position of the CLAST dean on the
protests. She wants all “hands” to educate the students in a certain
way. She invaded the Council on Undergraduate Education (CUE) meeting on
Wednesday*with the same drivel. Can someone tell Dr. Kimmel that she
needs to model the example of GSPP Dean Dr. Tom Allen and keep her snout
out of the politics if she can't be neutral?! Between Allen and Kimmel,
Allen has everybody’s respect --he's not abusing his position to call
meetings of the intelligent professionals under him*to make ugly
noises. By comparison, her behavior is showing us that the shoes she is
wearing are too big for her feet.

Kudos to Dr. Tom Allen.

The Tears of Pamela Holmes (Hardly “The Picture of Dorian Gray”)

One of the things Dr. Kimmel talked about when she parroted the “party
line” to her captive audiences was that Pamela Holmes, the Chair of
the PSC, was “reduced to tears” after JKF was selected. It is
likely, other sources say, that Pamela Holmes will resign from the BoT.

This is a mixture of two truths and a lie. The two truths are that
Pamela Holmes wept bitter tears when the result was announced; and that
Pamela Holmes may quit the BoT. The lie is that she cried because of the
community's reaction to the choice of Dr. Fernandes.

The truth actually is that Dr. Fernandes was never the choice of the
PSC. The PSC never recommended Dr. Fernandes to the BoT. The legitimate
choice of the PSC to be the 9th President of Gallaudet University was
one of the other 2 finalists, Dr. Stephen Weiner and Mr. Ron Stern.

Pamela Holmes cried because she understood that the BoT had perverted
the hard work and damaged the integrity of the members of the PSC.

Dr. Lynn Jacobowitz:

Kudos to Lynn Jacobowitz on her hard-hitting remarks to Celia Baldwin
and Tom Humphries.

> http://www.gallyfssa.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=27
>
> JACOBOWITZ [continuing]: I don't trust you two [pointing to Baldwin and
> Humphries].* I don't trust the Board of Trustees.*

A BoT that has perverted due process, perverted justice and is resolute
in its resolve not to resile from the incurably bad decision it has made
does not deserve the trust or respect of any sane person. FSSA needs to
ensure that the message that is going out now is consistent: the BoT
lacks credibility, the BoT has no legitimacy, it is a puppet, it follows
Irving like he was some Pied Piper.

How the Board got this way:

Vigilant Ally said:

> IKJ carefully screens and nominates candidates for Board membership to
> the Board, after a series of secret meetings with the Board Chair and
> key Board members. …. IKJ rejects the repeated requests of the
> students, faculty and alumni for elected representatives on the Board
> (as is the practice at some other colleges). IKJ sways the tainted
> Board with his thinking. With the Board thus stacked, our allies on the
> Board are outvoted. The Board then generally re-votes on key issues to
> make those decisions "unanimous". The Board is then locked into
> circling the wagons around IKJ and parroting party lines. IKJ even says
> he speaks for the Board!*

Precisely what we are seeing happening now. The choice of IKJ was
"unanimous"; and the BoT has now circled the wagons.

Deaf Throat:

Deafthroat’s ASL-syntax sendings light up the day! Keep them coming!

The Sage

--------------------

GallyNet-L Administration Team
www.gallynet.org/mailman/listinfo/gallynet-l
"NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM"

It is ok to be Deaf!

SilverPanda said:

One lesson to remember is do not be or act like an audist. I learned ASL later. I was in oral program and I tried to learn ASL only to be punished by audists for trying. This is not issue of being deaf or learning ASL. It is the matter of personality and principle.

Please do not feel out of place! We do accept you. It is the issue of who can lead Gallaudet University. We do know who is capable. It was the fact that the Board of Trustees seem out of tune and it needs to be worked out.

Hopefully everything will flow into one direction in near future!

It is ok to be Deaf!

Smiles

=^)

:cheers:

The feeling that it wasn't the BoT, but I. King Jordan all along sinks deeper and deeper. Note his "Freudian slip".

Batou said:
The feeling that it wasn't the BoT, but I. King Jordan all along sinks deeper and deeper. Note his "Freudian slip".

Freudian slip ?

javapride said:
intresting, they posted links and yet 2 aren't working.... don't trust links and don't trust vlinks either ( viedo links) sorry i dont click i go to well known sites and check them there.. rememver the worlds full of viruses...

now im going to bluntly flat out say this i support galludet BUT i do not support the way they are protesting, anyone with half a mind would do much better and think of the welfare of others... if you want to protest fine go for it, but pls use common sense tenting out on the property of galludet, and making it a * tent* city? oh pls! and ur suppose to be living in a day by day survial and yet ur using high tech to communicate what happened to unity??? thier scattered by the high tech thats why we dont see national news about galludet's protest on the news. cuz from the way im seeing it, its little by little,,,

David Eberwein Im amazed you would go to the length and yet use the SFCDs money when it could have gone towards CSDF wheres ur pride for the eagles? wheres ur pride for the respect of california, and u call yourself a leader? u used other poeple's money to go support a protest! these kids have NO concept of what orginzation is and yet NO concept of using peacefullness, and blocking the gate was downright wrong! u should have thought of other poeple's health and the publicity of embarrasment! if the emergecy vechiles cld not pass thru u all would be in jail right now on obstruction of justice and they won't need a warrant for that, they have proable cause for the safety matters of all.

HELLO GALLY u don't like ur president u shld have prepared yourself a lot better! have things more orginzed and u would be reconized on the news right now ur just merely high tech news and the local city's news thats it how embarrassing and u all are mad because u dont like JKF??? Ladies and Gentleman we don't like Bush but we're living thru this! hello ladies and gentleman, we ALSO have the right to displine Gally Football teams they EMBARRASSED me when they ripped the goalpost and damn near hurt alot of poeple and made embarrassment of themselevs in hotels now we can't use those hotels. think of other poeple u all still have ALOT of growing up to do! use common sense and think of other people who don't need to be hearing the whining. she had every right to protect the college kids! common sense prevailed, she displined and suspended the kids cuz they damaged the property! therefore theres no 2 ways about it u should have accepted the fact u messed up and party the wrong way to celebrate ur streak, so what goes ard comes ard! welcome to reality! theres no my way or the highway for you!

you want to go to gally to get an education then please do it, the buck stops here! yr party days are over! time for you to stop wasting your parents money and DVR's money!

Beautiful well-said ! :applause:

SilverPanda said:

Y U P!!! That is CORRECT! You will never feel welcome into deaf community fully...I mean 100%...but 50%..you are not alone...I am 38...When I was growing up, I learned SEE sign and never heard of deaf culture until age of 20 at Deaf College! I learned in ASL in 4 months! I learned very quickly...

I was forced by deaf students at College to reject hearing world with 100%...I was trapped and very much wanted to be accepted by deaf culture...I lost my identity for a long time...my family almost lost me for 3 years...thanks to this deaf college! I encourage you from now to near future to please PLEASE never NEVER ever EVER allow any deafies to drag you to become deaf minded and reject hearing world...otherwise you will lose your identity! Stand up strong and stick with your true identity...

There is NOTHING wrong with you...NOTHING! It is not your fault the way you were raised...I think it is stupid for deafies who has this kind of attitudes are immature...I personally think there is nothing wrong to interact with hearing and deaf world...yes it is sending out mixed messages to those who did not grow up in the Deaf community by saying we are not welcome.

Yes, I am deaf but not deaf...I am proud of it! There were lot of times that I wished I could have change my past and stick with my true identity by accepting both worlds...No matter how hard I tried to be deaf deaf...it never worked for me because of my background! I wish I was never involved in deaf deaf power...it never worked for me because I later discovered they were two faced and said that I am always deaf but not deaf! I was discouraged big time!

BUt..good news..if you live in south such as Missouri or Texas or else..they are more likely orally, asl. all mixed...they very much accepted me...it just depends on where you live...I lived in Minn and Illinois...

Let's hope that in 20 years later..there will be different time than today! ;)

It is an emotional issue as more people get cochlear implants, which allow them to hear and speak more easily, and go to mainstream public schools rather than schools for the deaf and hard of hearing. Some wonder what will happen to deaf culture, and to Gallaudet.

That is bothering me alot lately. From the perspective hearing people the Deaf person needs to get CI for a better job as promotion for hearing better. That is full of bull-shit !! That is totally disgusted me !!

There is more and more Deaf schools closed in this country due to mainstream schools. It is hurtful for our next generation Deaf children and also our job as teachers. We get a college degree to become a teacher or professor. The Deaf school does not need us because they hire an interpreter with hearing teacher at the mainstream schools. :pissed:

There are more down size numbers of people members at the Deaf Clubs. No money for the sports, awards, entertainment, etc... CI, Orals and mainstream Deaf people are scared to particular the Deaf community. Their parents send them to public school with hearing people and interpreter for years and years. Their roots grow are half way to Deaf culture and language.

Cochlear Implants would NEVER successful for the Deaf children. When they become older and turn their cochlear implants off and desire to removal their device. Unfortunately, their insurance would not coverage to remove their CI. They did not ask for it. It is the parents and doctors under pressure on their Deaf children because many hearing parents are very scared to learn ASL or particular Deaf Community. It is very hurtful for the Deaf society our next generation Deaf family, education and job. The doctors and parents are looking down at us !!

Back