Gallaudet President Announced!!

First of all - ONE can't be FIRED for no reason. And if a person wants to know why they are fired they are always given grounds why they are let go. You can't FIRE people just because you feel like it. You have to have grounds and you have to inform the person the reason for their dismissal. My wife works in the educational world and I work in the corporate world and and both ways it works the same you CAN'T fire someone just because otherwise the person would have grounds for a lawsuit. If the person really doesn't know and if all those people feel that their firing is wrong then get them up with a LAWSUIT and SUE her and Gallaudet.

DefLord said:
First of all - ONE can't be FIRED for no reason. And if a person wants to know why they are fired they are always given grounds why they are let go. You can't FIRE people just because you feel like it. You have to have grounds and you have to inform the person the reason for their dismissal. My wife works in the educational world and I work in the corporate world and and both ways it works the same you CAN'T fire someone just because otherwise the person would have grounds for a lawsuit. If the person really doesn't know and if all those people feel that their firing is wrong then get them up with a LAWSUIT and SUE her and Gallaudet.

People are being fired because their bosses dont like them, if you fall out of favor at work and your boss has a notation of firing you, he/she will try their best to find a little slip-up such as late paperwork, or if he/she can't find anything he/she can cause a "missed memo" of an upcoming meeting that was mandatory... get my drift? its all about politics and it's everywhere where we go... and it's included in educational field too as there is always politics at schools between the faculty. People can just claim that the worker was not up to their standards etc if the person tries to sue they'll just fall on their arse.

NPR report: 5-6-06

Howard Berkes: This was supposed to be a week of celebration for Gallaudet University, here in Washington, the world’s only university for the deaf students. A new president was named. Jane Fernandes is set to become only the second deaf president in the school’s 140 year history. But instead of celebrating, some students blocked the main entrance to Gallaudet, passed out petitions and held rallies, all protesting the appointment of Fernandes. NPR’s Joseph Shapiro has been covering the protest this week, and he says they are having an impact.

Joseph Shapiro: A few students walked out when Jane Fernandes’ name was announced on Monday. Now alumni have flown in from around the country to join them in their protest, and faculty as well.

HB: Now, this is not the first time that students at Gallaudet have been rallying like this. In fact, you covered a protest like this at Gallaudet 18 years ago.

JS: That’s right, and that was a historic moment for deaf people. Students shut down the school the last time they tried to pick a president. At first the Board of Trustees passed over all the deaf candidates and picked a hearing woman, someone who had no experience with deaf education. After they shut down the school, the Board of Trustees reversed itself, then picked a very popular dean, a deaf man, I. King Jordan. Many of the students who are leading this protest weren’t even born back then, or they were just babies. But they’ve all heard of that moment, when deaf people stood up to demand that the president of the world’s only university for the deaf be someone that was deaf.

HB: Well, Jane Fernandes, the newly appointed president of Gallaudet, is deaf, so what’s the problem this time around?

JS: Jane Fernandes is deaf, but she didn’t learn how to sign until she was 23. Some students have cited that she’s not “deaf enough.” But it’s hard to say exactly what the students are objecting to. They cite all sorts of things: The say the selection process was flawed; there were no minority candidates in the final round. And by the way, many people who object to her say she’s very well qualified. But they often raise objections that are based on her personality: She’s not warm enough, she doesn’t say “hi” to people when she passes them on the campus, she’s not inspirational enough.

HB: So some people may just simply not like her style.

JS: I think that’s right. Some of it, by the way, goes back to Gallaudet’s winning football season this year. Gallaudet’s played football since 1883. Some historians of football give them credit for developing the football huddle. That was a way to prevent people from stealing their signs. And they’ve had a lousy football team, I should say, for a long time, but they got a new football coach this year and went 9-0. And they celebrated after the last game, tore down the goalposts; some students were also celebrating at a hotel nearby and set off fire alarms. Jane Fernandes is the Provost of the school; she’s been Provost for 6 years. And she disciplined the students, and a lot of students felt like she was acting like she thought that she was their mother. It was her job as Provost to discipline them, but some people felt that she was too strict.

HB: So what’s the school doing to try to get past these protests this time?

JS: Jane Fernandes herself has started meeting everyday at noon with the students. They’re trying to explain how the choice was made, they’re trying to be open, and they’re hoping that they can heal this anger and try to come to some understanding of why she was appointed and what she can do for the school.
HB: I wonder if you could help me understand something. You covered this situation, a similar situation, 18 years ago that you’ve been covering again now. What do these protests at Gallaudet tell you about the evolution of Deaf Culture and sense of identity that Deaf people have?

JS: I think it shows that Gallaudet really matters to Deaf people. The protests 18 years ago changed the way that deaf people think about themselves; it changed the way hearing people look at Deaf people. One result was that deaf people have more choices now, they have more opportunities. They can go to any university now, they don’t have to go to Gallaudet. Interpreters are required by law to be provided at other schools and that protest 18 years ago helped that happen. So deaf people these days are trying to negotiate choices, trying to find out when to be part of the deaf world, when to be part of the hearing world; they’re struggling to define what it means to be “deaf,” and I think part of that means, “What qualities do we want in this person who’s sort of our number 1 representative to the world and to the deaf world. What qualities do we want in a president at Gallaudet?”

Mookie said:
Dear Gally Students,

If you do not like Jane Fernandes as your Gally President, you need to inform your academic advisor about arrangment in transfering your credits to another university. It would wake up Board of Trustees.....

transfer to where? I'd be surprised if there are colleges out there that accept gallaudet credits.

kalboy said:
transfer to where? I'd be surprised if there are colleges out there that accept gallaudet credits.

The University I attended before did.

I checked the NPR web site and can't find the transcript for the below. How did you find it? I would like to put a link to my blog, please. Thanks.

ayala920 said:
Howard Berkes: This was supposed to be a week of celebration for Gallaudet University, here in Washington, the world’s only university for the deaf students. A new president was named. Jane Fernandes is set to become only the second deaf president in the school’s 140 year history. But instead of celebrating, some students blocked the main entrance to Gallaudet, passed out petitions and held rallies, all protesting the appointment of Fernandes. NPR’s Joseph Shapiro has been covering the protest this week, and he says they are having an impact.

Joseph Shapiro: A few students walked out when Jane Fernandes’ name was announced on Monday. Now alumni have flown in from around the country to join them in their protest, and faculty as well.

HB: Now, this is not the first time that students at Gallaudet have been rallying like this. In fact, you covered a protest like this at Gallaudet 18 years ago.

JS: That’s right, and that was a historic moment for deaf people. Students shut down the school the last time they tried to pick a president. At first the Board of Trustees passed over all the deaf candidates and picked a hearing woman, someone who had no experience with deaf education. After they shut down the school, the Board of Trustees reversed itself, then picked a very popular dean, a deaf man, I. King Jordan. Many of the students who are leading this protest weren’t even born back then, or they were just babies. But they’ve all heard of that moment, when deaf people stood up to demand that the president of the world’s only university for the deaf be someone that was deaf.

HB: Well, Jane Fernandes, the newly appointed president of Gallaudet, is deaf, so what’s the problem this time around?

JS: Jane Fernandes is deaf, but she didn’t learn how to sign until she was 23. Some students have cited that she’s not “deaf enough.” But it’s hard to say exactly what the students are objecting to. They cite all sorts of things: The say the selection process was flawed; there were no minority candidates in the final round. And by the way, many people who object to her say she’s very well qualified. But they often raise objections that are based on her personality: She’s not warm enough, she doesn’t say “hi” to people when she passes them on the campus, she’s not inspirational enough.

HB: So some people may just simply not like her style.

JS: I think that’s right. Some of it, by the way, goes back to Gallaudet’s winning football season this year. Gallaudet’s played football since 1883. Some historians of football give them credit for developing the football huddle. That was a way to prevent people from stealing their signs. And they’ve had a lousy football team, I should say, for a long time, but they got a new football coach this year and went 9-0. And they celebrated after the last game, tore down the goalposts; some students were also celebrating at a hotel nearby and set off fire alarms. Jane Fernandes is the Provost of the school; she’s been Provost for 6 years. And she disciplined the students, and a lot of students felt like she was acting like she thought that she was their mother. It was her job as Provost to discipline them, but some people felt that she was too strict.

HB: So what’s the school doing to try to get past these protests this time?

JS: Jane Fernandes herself has started meeting everyday at noon with the students. They’re trying to explain how the choice was made, they’re trying to be open, and they’re hoping that they can heal this anger and try to come to some understanding of why she was appointed and what she can do for the school.
HB: I wonder if you could help me understand something. You covered this situation, a similar situation, 18 years ago that you’ve been covering again now. What do these protests at Gallaudet tell you about the evolution of Deaf Culture and sense of identity that Deaf people have?

JS: I think it shows that Gallaudet really matters to Deaf people. The protests 18 years ago changed the way that deaf people think about themselves; it changed the way hearing people look at Deaf people. One result was that deaf people have more choices now, they have more opportunities. They can go to any university now, they don’t have to go to Gallaudet. Interpreters are required by law to be provided at other schools and that protest 18 years ago helped that happen. So deaf people these days are trying to negotiate choices, trying to find out when to be part of the deaf world, when to be part of the hearing world; they’re struggling to define what it means to be “deaf,” and I think part of that means, “What qualities do we want in this person who’s sort of our number 1 representative to the world and to the deaf world. What qualities do we want in a president at Gallaudet?”

No, I do NOT want to look at these Blogs....

I prefer HERE. Thanks.

intresting, they posted links and yet 2 aren't working.... don't trust links and don't trust vlinks either ( viedo links) sorry i dont click i go to well known sites and check them there.. rememver the worlds full of viruses...

now im going to bluntly flat out say this i support galludet BUT i do not support the way they are protesting, anyone with half a mind would do much better and think of the welfare of others... if you want to protest fine go for it, but pls use common sense tenting out on the property of galludet, and making it a * tent* city? oh pls! and ur suppose to be living in a day by day survial and yet ur using high tech to communicate what happened to unity??? thier scattered by the high tech thats why we dont see national news about galludet's protest on the news. cuz from the way im seeing it, its little by little,,,

David Eberwein Im amazed you would go to the length and yet use the SFCDs money when it could have gone towards CSDF wheres ur pride for the eagles? wheres ur pride for the respect of california, and u call yourself a leader? u used other poeple's money to go support a protest! these kids have NO concept of what orginzation is and yet NO concept of using peacefullness, and blocking the gate was downright wrong! u should have thought of other poeple's health and the publicity of embarrasment! if the emergecy vechiles cld not pass thru u all would be in jail right now on obstruction of justice and they won't need a warrant for that, they have proable cause for the safety matters of all.

HELLO GALLY u don't like ur president u shld have prepared yourself a lot better! have things more orginzed and u would be reconized on the news right now ur just merely high tech news and the local city's news thats it how embarrassing and u all are mad because u dont like JKF??? Ladies and Gentleman we don't like Bush but we're living thru this! hello ladies and gentleman, we ALSO have the right to displine Gally Football teams they EMBARRASSED me when they ripped the goalpost and damn near hurt alot of poeple and made embarrassment of themselevs in hotels now we can't use those hotels. think of other poeple u all still have ALOT of growing up to do! use common sense and think of other people who don't need to be hearing the whining. she had every right to protect the college kids! common sense prevailed, she displined and suspended the kids cuz they damaged the property! therefore theres no 2 ways about it u should have accepted the fact u messed up and party the wrong way to celebrate ur streak, so what goes ard comes ard! welcome to reality! theres no my way or the highway for you!

you want to go to gally to get an education then please do it, the buck stops here! yr party days are over! time for you to stop wasting your parents money and DVR's money!

Hey Javapride :applause:

Thats why I have to avoid some
of these links !!! Sigh...

Yeah, I mentioned at
another thread "Gallaudet Protests"
that this Tent City looks more something like the
Deaf Timberfest is taking over Gallaudet University :)

Photos shown at Another thread "Gallaudet Protests"
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=521856&postcount=79

Hmm, it looks like they're having the Ball.

Last edited:
There isn't an NPR transcript on their site, I typed it up for my friends.

As for what's going on... the links I provided are fine, but if you don't want to use them, that's your prerogative. I'm not inclined to retype what others have reported.

I am a Gallaudet student. From my observations, it seems that the students are almost, almost using the protest as an excuse to party or have a huge social event out front. Almost. That's what it looks like every night.

Batou said:
I am a Gallaudet student. From my observations, it seems that the students are almost, almost using the protest as an excuse to party or have a huge social event out front. Almost. That's what it looks like every night.

So are you with the protest or against it or neutral? :dunno:

Batou said:
from what the pictures shows it shurely does show that... now call that an embarrassment of sorts!

well, I'm with and aganist the protest. I personally don't think Fernandes has a good track record. I support the protest because Fernandes doesn't look out for the best interests and has too much of a corporate type feel to her. I am disgareeing somewhat with the protest because of one statement Noah Beckman, SBG president made. He stated at Tuesday or wednesday's rally in the gym that diversity meant every one. That statement right then and there made me wonder about the protest. Doesn't every one include Dr. Jane Fernandes? All week during the protest, I discussed with various students their views and wishes. I believe Fernandes is not a people person and is/will not be popular at Gallaudet for a long time. What I think Fernandes maybe will do well is get grants and money to Gallaudet. Picture this, Dr. Fernandes is meeting with various hearing people with money. They will surely appireciate her use of her voice and use of SimCom (Simulateous Communication).
I have also heard that in '88, the students copromised with the Board of Trustee's selection of I. King Jordan. Jordan is not Deaf, but deaf. This '06 protest wants a fully Deaf person, and Dr. Fernandes obivously isn't it. Ask yourself, does Fernandes even look like a happy person? I don't think I v ever seen her smile, not even in a picture. How can someone like that represent Gallaudet and the Deaf community?
Part of it may be that just being clinically or partly deaf isn't enough of a qualification to be University President any more in the eyes of the Deaf community and Gallaudet students. Dr. Fernandes also seems to have an egostical streak. She states that she wants the best for Gallaudet and its students, yet she refuses to step down from her new position(Note that Fernandes still is provost and will not become President offically until Jordan offically retires). Dr. Fernandes also seems naive as to why students are protesting her. Either she is naive, or she is refusing to admit it, much like the story where The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

I thought I'd copy and paste a open letter to the community from Jane Norman of Gallaudet University. This letter shows a different perspective of the protest and points out the early disorganization.

May 4, 2006

Greetings,

My name is Jane Norman, I am a professor with the Communication Studies department and am a diversity fellow with Academic Affairs. I just came from witnessing a terrorized student who broke down, crying. Someone did not let her off campus and was trying to force her to sign a paper. She did not want any part of it and was being pressured. All she wanted was to go off campus. She has the right to leave campus. This was a student of color, an international student.* This is not acceptable.

I do not support the protest.

I teach about demonstration. I believe in free speech but there is a limit. The protest originally focused on personal attacks on Dr. Fernandes and the real issues are not being addressed. Is it possible that some of us are afraid that in becoming inclusive we will lose the powerful focus on our language, ASL and Deaf culture? This is a myth. In inclusiveness, there is strength.* Utilizing terror tactics is self-defeating; they do not encourage communication. These tactics promote fear and misunderstanding and fuels oppression. There is a line. It is being crossed. It is not acceptable. I appeal to everyone to be reasonable, respectful and civil.

A hearing mother brought her deaf child on campus yesterday. The child was terrified seeing all the angry faces and started crying and could not be pacified. This is not acceptable.

I was just shown a TTY paper. A deaf person called and asked, “is Fernandes a Latino name? I have experience with Latino people and do not want them on campus. Keep them off.” This is not acceptable.

The days of exclusivity are over. Pushing people out right and left. These days are gone. Long gone, over. I do not support this protest.

The white deaf yardstick has to go. We cannot measure who is deafer than others. We are deaf in many different ways. No one is deafer than others.* Our language, ASL and Deaf culture are the core and it is being expanded to include all deaf students and all Deaf cultures. All.

It must be made known that not all faculty; staff and students support the protest. There are many of us but it is risky and at times dangerous to speak out. We know to do so is to be threatened with lost friendship, relationships and all associated with this. Some of us are going through difficulties, there are many Deaf people not taking a stand, and this fact must not be ignored. Many of us are being pressured to join the protest. This is not the way to do it. Just as some students have the right to protest, we have the right to not protest. We have the right to support Dr. Jane Fernandes. This does not mean that we do not hold ASL and Deaf culture dear to our hearts. It is important to know that Deaf culture does not mean white deaf culture only. Deaf culture includes all kinds of Deaf people who are different from each other--in race, nationalities, cultures, languages, gender, age, sexual orientation, disabilities, class—the same as in the world.* All must be recognized and included.

Dr. Fernandes is leading us into the 21st century. We at Gallaudet are working to become inclusive and we will grow. The growth is painful but necessary. Gallaudet must include all students, no matter how we became deaf; what color we are; when we learned sign language; whether our parents are Deaf or not. Gallaudet belongs to all. The days of exclusivity are over. We must all be in the boat together. We cannot row with one oar. We must all pull the oars of the boat together and pull, pull and pull.* We are going through a very difficult time but we will emerge as an inclusive university. Everyone has a place no matter what part of the Deaf culture you belong to or how you became deaf. In my view, Hearing people, too belong on this campus. We are in the midst of change and there are many layers of resistance. We must all make an effort to communicate. Gallaudet is for all.

Dr. Jane Fernandes has worked long and hard on diversity. Dr. Fernandes is our 9th president and will lead us into the 21st century. We are focusing on diversity. Gallaudet is struggling to become a place for all Deaf people.

Jane Norman, Ph.D.

Professor

Communication Studies

Gallaudet University

800 Florida Ave., N.E.

Washington, DC 20002

Back