Gallaudet is perfect

I usually am opposed to student debt. It can quickly escalate and get out of hand and limit the choices you can make for your life for decades.

Is your major something that tends to lead to good employment options? Are you sure you will finish? I know many education majors with thousand of dollars in debt who are working as secretaries, working at craft stores, and one who has been working at a coffee shop for the last three years- all jobs they could have done without college, and they would have less stress without the huge debt load. I know engineer majors who are working in factories on the assembly line, not as managers, and their debt load is not a good fit for the work they could find.

That said 2,000 really isn't that big of a loan. I don't think it would be a terrible idea to take just that loan, get that year of college under your belt. Right now start looking hard for a job that you can do during school breaks, and whatever it is, make yourself indispensable. My husband manages a grocery store, and there are a couple of college employees that he holds positions for each summer and during spring breaks because they are that reliable.
Another way to find a good job is to volunteer somewhere and do such a good job they hire you on. Two of my daughters did that and they did such a great job, their employer chose to pay them retroactively for their volunteer time. Unfortunately, it turned out one of them was too young - the state wouldn't allow her to be a paid employee.

Back to college- I don't agree that residency is always the way to go- my eldest graduated from a university 40 miles from us, and she commuted throughout her entire four years, and she finished school with no loans. She was able to save enough of her scholarship money to pay for a trip to Europe for herself.

Our fifth daughter is also going to school now, and she will living at home as well. She is looking to save her scholarship and grant money for a trip to visit friends in Germany.

In your case, I can see why staying at the college might be better for you. Since you say your dad is saying it's up to you, I think it might be better not to go behind his back, though. Taking off behind your parent's backs doesn't prove your're independent. It proves something much different, and probably will prove to them exactly what they are worried about. Of course, as the mother of seven kids, I am sympathizing with your parents a lot when I think about how they will feel if you just leave behind their backs.

I also think you're mistaken about the ereader. You aren't going to find a lot of typical college texts on the e-reader, and when you do, they aren't going to cost that much less. You can find out for yourself, though. Contact the school and ask for a list of some of the books that were used in the classes you'd be taking and look them up on your ereader.

Best of luck.

I'm former student at Gallaudet University.

My experience with Gallaudet is somewhat mixed because I'm pleased with their education but not satisfied with dorm room and food at cafeteria, if you don't have GI problems so cafeteria at Gallaudet is perfect for you.

Unlike any bigger universities, Gallaudet University does not have much choice to make class selection so it is recommended to get class schedule before set the job schedule. You may not have much choice to stuck with evening classes due to limited class selection.

I prefer larger universities and be commuter student.

They disapproved it because my hearing level wasn't matching the level. I was .2 off to be required. My parents' income taxes isn't high at all, not with a family of six. =\

Next time you take a hearing test, don't press that button until its really loud! And be consistent. I'm sure with a little ingenuity you can get past that .2%. :D

I recommend federal loans, not private loans. You get more options with payments after graduation compared to private loans. You can always work during the summer to make extra money to go towards.

Someone mentioned FAFSA, and you definitely should sign up for it and fill in the information. Most schools these days go by FAFSA results to determine how much financial aid to give to their students and usually to help link students with federal loans so the students don't have to do all the legwork (though, you can opt to find on your own).

One thing about FAFSA you should know is that it will require your parents' financial information until you are 24 or married, whichever comes first.

And, only $2,000? You are extremely lucky...

I recommend federal loans, not private loans. You get more options with payments after graduation compared to private loans. You can always work during the summer to make extra money to go towards.

Someone mentioned FAFSA, and you definitely should sign up for it and fill in the information. Most schools these days go by FAFSA results to determine how much financial aid to give to their students and usually to help link students with federal loans so the students don't have to do all the legwork (though, you can opt to find on your own).

One thing about FAFSA you should know is that it will require your parents' financial information until you are 24 or married, whichever comes first.

And, only $2,000? You are extremely lucky...

Hm, so going by a federal loan is more recommended? I'll look into that then. Thanks and I do plan to make extra money over the summer time.

Well, I will be able to fill out FAFSA form in April, my dad hasn't done his taxes of the year yet. So, I'm glad to hear that for the support and all the legal work would be taken care of.

Yeah, that much left. Well, I got a good scholarship that covered 1/3, I got VESID covering room and board and covered it up pretty easily. So, that leaves me with $2,000 to pay the rest off. So, I'm not entirely sure if I'm that lucky, maybe because of leadership and my high school transcript records and all.

I had to take out student loans for College the first time (when I was 18) and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even though it took me a while to pay all of it off. For me, my education (funded by the loan) gave me a respectable, good paying career - something I've done now for 18+ years (so it's clearly paid for itself!!).

The most important thing is be responsible with the loan amount.

My loans I didn't have any interest or mandatory payments until 24months AFTER I graduated. I didn't use all the amount I got the loan for, so I was able to pay back about 15% of it as soon as I graduated, which reduced my payments. I also started paying the loan back as soon as I started working (right after I graduated) so that I was paying back my loan with before there was ANY interest on my loan amount AND I had no "mandatory payments" (those started 24months after grad). By the time that I was 24 months post graduation I'd paid off about 50% of my loan (for about $20,000.00).

I really believe that it is MUCH better to get a student loan to ensure that you have enough money to eat properly (healthy!!!), for books, tuition, unexpected expenses etc. However just because you have it doesn't need you need to spend it all, it's important to be frugal and cautious about how much you spend and stick to a budget - mostly because it's very very good practice for "real life", ie when you are working and paying for housing, food, clothes, medical/health & life insurance, transportation, savings, etc.

For example, if you got a loan for $8,000.00 (which would be $2k each for 4 years) and managed your money well, worked over the summer etc and ended up graduating with $3,000.00 of the $8,000.00 remaining in your bank account you could quickly apply $3,000.00 to your loan right away bringing your outstanding balance from $8k, to $5k.

Have you looked at ntid? From what I remember they bent over backeards in helping students get all the $$ they needed to get in the school. Most. Colleges are they same,they want the $$ no matter how it is attained. Getting into rit through ntid mans you get it dirt cheap too since you pay only a fraction of what hearing pay.

Well, the minimum wages over at Gallaudet is actually $8.25, so that'll be more money this time and I do plan on taking part time.

Hm, I guess it sounds easy enough to pay it all back soon. For the other stuff can be worked out differently and basic needs are always covered by me.

But, since I have an ereader and do plan on using for classes to buy books. Would that mean I save much more money? Like how many percentage? I'm trying to figure out how much it would reduced me down to. It has to be less than $2,000 if I use the ereader - which I will. I know ereader saves a lot of money, I even heard that two books cost about $300 and I figured that nothing is cheap. But, the good sales that ereaders can really offer.

I can't say anything specifically about Gallaudet... but if they use general textbooks, you can find some really great deals online. Amazon.com is good, but also cheaptextbooks.com is great. There are some other sites but I don't remember them. A lot of places let you rent books, and yeah e-books are sometimes cheaper even than the used books!

Good luck!

Hi there - I am current Gallaudet student.

RE: Book costs

Books usually cost $350 to $600 a semester. I have a friend here whose books cost 800$ this semester!!

RE: Jobs on campus

8.25$ ? That is the low end, not every job pays that. Even my job with the post office on campus paid better than that. Tutoring pays ~9$. If you manage to become an SI leader (not hard), that pays 14$ an hour starting.

There are plenty of jobs out there that are 12$/hr +. I think OA / RA jobs are around that rate as well. (RA's and OA's are dorm staff - RA's are more full time and get their own single room)

Hi there - I am current Gallaudet student.

RE: Book costs

Books usually cost $350 to $600 a semester. I have a friend here whose books cost 800$ this semester!!

RE: Jobs on campus

8.25$ ? That is the low end, not every job pays that. Even my job with the post office on campus paid better than that. Tutoring pays ~9$. If you manage to become an SI leader (not hard), that pays 14$ an hour starting.

There are plenty of jobs out there that are 12$/hr +. I think OA / RA jobs are around that rate as well. (RA's and OA's are dorm staff - RA's are more full time and get their own single room)

also RA could opt for free room or rather to take paycheck.

Back