Gallaudet is perfect

Reaction score
I got accepted to Gallaudet and I was so happy to get in. I'm set for Fall 2012 and have the leadership scholarship, Vesid paying for Room and Board, and I'm now down to figure out how to pay $2,000 left. I'm already filling out ISSA form for more scholarship in need. I plan on taking work study program.

I love the school, all it has to offer, and feels like what's best for myself.

Problem is...my parents are being ridiculous. They're hearing and being ignorant about it. They really don't have much knowledge about college, they don't want me to go off, and they think I need their help? I flat out refused any of that. I tried persuading them, but they won't budge it.

I had my budget plan set out, plans to work it out, and somehow, two things holding me out. One, transportation to get there and two, I need a job now.

I have been denied twice with SSI because I didn't meet their requirement. So, that went down the tube for part of the plan. I didn't really care much for SSI in the beginning, I was more interested in having a job where I'm getting paid to do the work.

So, currently, I'm seeking out of a job and hoping to get it by now to the end of June or July just to earn up to at least $5,000.

I really do plan on going and I want to.

So, tell me, should I be concern about the money? I do plan on taking off behind my parents back and convinced them I am capable of being independent. I speak well, sign okay, and currently using more ASL and studying them on my own.

And I don't want to plan on taking out a loan. I want to make it possible to pay off by hard work and it would be almost free college for me. I did include basic needs, food, and others. I even plan on using my ereader, laptop, and tracfone - Which I find them all useful to have and mostly money saving in some part of it.

I want to convince my parents that I'm capable of handling this all on my own.

If it's just $2,000 that you need, it's not so bad to apply for a loan for it would be a very small debt to pay off.

Yeah, that would be a pretty small loan and if you are careful about how you manage your money it would be easy to pay off. If there are no other options, it would be silly to give all that up for a mere two thousand dollars, just to avoid taking out a loan.

Congratulations, by the way. Sounds like you are very driven and motivated. That is very admirable. :)

I got accepted to Gallaudet and I was so happy to get in. I'm set for Fall 2012 and have the leadership scholarship, Vesid paying for Room and Board, and I'm now down to figure out how to pay $2,000 left. I'm already filling out ISSA form for more scholarship in need. I plan on taking work study program.

I love the school, all it has to offer, and feels like what's best for myself.

Problem is...my parents are being ridiculous. They're hearing and being ignorant about it. They really don't have much knowledge about college, they don't want me to go off, and they think I need their help? I flat out refused any of that. I tried persuading them, but they won't budge it.

I had my budget plan set out, plans to work it out, and somehow, two things holding me out. One, transportation to get there and two, I need a job now.

I have been denied twice with SSI because I didn't meet their requirement. So, that went down the tube for part of the plan. I didn't really care much for SSI in the beginning, I was more interested in having a job where I'm getting paid to do the work.

So, currently, I'm seeking out of a job and hoping to get it by now to the end of June or July just to earn up to at least $5,000.

I really do plan on going and I want to.

So, tell me, should I be concern about the money? I do plan on taking off behind my parents back and convinced them I am capable of being independent. I speak well, sign okay, and currently using more ASL and studying them on my own.

And I don't want to plan on taking out a loan. I want to make it possible to pay off by hard work and it would be almost free college for me. I did include basic needs, food, and others. I even plan on using my ereader, laptop, and tracfone - Which I find them all useful to have and mostly money saving in some part of it.

I want to convince my parents that I'm capable of handling this all on my own.

It's hard for parents for let go of their children, especially if they have any doubts or questions about where their child is going. Add that to the idea of you taking off behind their backs and the conflicts are just going to get bigger and more complicated. Have you sat down with them and given them information about the school? Shown them a variety of resources concerning where you would be staying, what classes you want to take there, what the campus is like, what your goals are (and why these are best reached by attending Gallaudet), etc.? Perhaps, the more information they receive, the more comfortable they will become with the idea.

High five for being so independent! I have seen that parents tend to really shelter their disabled kids immensely!

did you find out why your ssi has not approved your case? you did not say what requirement that did not meet you?

either your hearing level that you can hear a little or you are on your parents income taxes that is too high?

If it's just $2,000 that you need, it's not so bad to apply for a loan for it would be a very small debt to pay off.

Hm, yeah, but each year I would owe $2,000, I handle my money budget pretty well. Just how can I handle good loans deal? I hear students loan tends to increase percentage pretty fast for certain amount of time and I have no knowledge about loans.

Yeah, that would be a pretty small loan and if you are careful about how you manage your money it would be easy to pay off. If there are no other options, it would be silly to give all that up for a mere two thousand dollars, just to avoid taking out a loan.

Congratulations, by the way. Sounds like you are very driven and motivated. That is very admirable. :)

:) First off, thanks. I've been driven and motivated since 11th grade and fell in love with it since I read, "Friend of the Deaf" <3

Anyway, I'm not sure about loans. Is it that small? I do manage my money pretty well - considering the fact I watch how much I spent and manage to spend much less than the budget is given.

I don't want to give up just because of two thousands, but from growing up in a family that don't have much money. I'm quite stubborn at times to either sacrifice things I really don't have to have or really look out for coupons like crazy.

It's hard for parents for let go of their children, especially if they have any doubts or questions about where their child is going. Add that to the idea of you taking off behind their backs and the conflicts are just going to get bigger and more complicated. Have you sat down with them and given them information about the school? Shown them a variety of resources concerning where you would be staying, what classes you want to take there, what the campus is like, what your goals are (and why these are best reached by attending Gallaudet), etc.? Perhaps, the more information they receive, the more comfortable they will become with the idea.

I have heard that it's hard for my parents. They'd let me go if my entire college is already free, but they want me to be in range. Gallaudet is about seven hours away from where I live.

I have sat down and talked to them about things, the things that are actually offered, what I can really expect over there, showed them my plans, and everything.
They don't really care for what classes I plan to take as long I'm getting my education and all. They already know my goals.

So far, nothing seemed to work. Well, my dad always keep saying that I'm old enough to make decision and I'm going to take advantage of that. I'm taking my decision and take action.

did you find out why your ssi has not approved your case? you did not say what requirement that did not meet you?

either your hearing level that you can hear a little or you are on your parents income taxes that is too high?

They disapproved it because my hearing level wasn't matching the level. I was .2 off to be required. My parents' income taxes isn't high at all, not with a family of six. =\

High five for being so independent! I have seen that parents tend to really shelter their disabled kids immensely!

Thanks! ^_^ Well, my parents aren't exactly into that. They just want me to do things their way all the time and I'm kind of tired of it. They're a bit too worried about me and extremely overly protected like any other parents.

Anyway, I'm not sure about loans. Is it that small? I do manage my money pretty well - considering the fact I watch how much I spent and manage to spend much less than the budget is given.

Relative to the average amount of the student loan, and loans in general, it is very small. Since you've got a good majority of things lined up to be paid for already, especially room and board, you might even be able to pay off that 2k just with a part time job. Minimum wage is 7.25 an hour, so you'll get at least that much. Say you work 20 hours a week, that's 145 dollars before taxes. After taxes I'm guessing you'll have 110 or 120 dollars or so (I could be wrong, bad at math). If you put every dime you made towards paying off the loan, it would only take you about 4 or 5 months to pay it off. Of course if you need some of your wages for other stuff it will take longer, but if you've got room and board and a scholarship, how much other stuff will you really need?

Then again, I've never boarded at college (I already had my own house when I went to college) so I could be totally off the mark here.

?

Then again, I've never boarded at college (I already had my own house when I went to college) so I could be totally off the mark here.

But boarding at college ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a big reason why I support res school, at least for teens and older kids.....boarding makes school "home"

I didn't board at college either and wish I had. I don't have anything to add, except...

Congratulations!!!!:applause:

Relative to the average amount of the student loan, and loans in general, it is very small. Since you've got a good majority of things lined up to be paid for already, especially room and board, you might even be able to pay off that 2k just with a part time job. Minimum wage is 7.25 an hour, so you'll get at least that much. Say you work 20 hours a week, that's 145 dollars before taxes. After taxes I'm guessing you'll have 110 or 120 dollars or so (I could be wrong, bad at math). If you put every dime you made towards paying off the loan, it would only take you about 4 or 5 months to pay it off. Of course if you need some of your wages for other stuff it will take longer, but if you've got room and board and a scholarship, how much other stuff will you really need?

Well, the minimum wages over at Gallaudet is actually $8.25, so that'll be more money this time and I do plan on taking part time.

Hm, I guess it sounds easy enough to pay it all back soon. For the other stuff can be worked out differently and basic needs are always covered by me.

But, since I have an ereader and do plan on using for classes to buy books. Would that mean I save much more money? Like how many percentage? I'm trying to figure out how much it would reduced me down to. It has to be less than $2,000 if I use the ereader - which I will. I know ereader saves a lot of money, I even heard that two books cost about $300 and I figured that nothing is cheap. But, the good sales that ereaders can really offer.

I didn't board at college either and wish I had. I don't have anything to add, except...

Congratulations!!!!:applause:

LOL, I plan on it so I wouldn't have to worry too much with a place to go to or much distraction from my family.

Thanks! ^_^

Do you know anyone locally or close to your town that is going to Gallaudet? Maybe you can join that person (it would be better if that person is a woman). Good luck!

Edit: Maybe you can call Gallaudet to see if there is a woman who lives close by that you can join for the trip. You are going to bring lots of things like clothes, bed spread/sheet, pillow, etc.

Yeah.

There are some college loans that you don't have to pay off until after you graduate.

Also, you could get a small part-time job while in college to help pay off some of that loan as you go along. That would certainly make it easier for when you graduate.

Back