Fuel Problem ... HELP!

TheXandieBoy

Reaction score
I have a real problem with Fuel.
I hope you can help me to tell what it is.

My car is a 1996 Honda Civic EX coupe.

I traveled with this car which is 150 miles.

Before I left, it's was on F. Then, 150 miles later, it's on E. It's used to be just 1/4. But, this time, it's just WHOLE to empty.

I don't know why is that. I looked at those fuel line, it's no leaking or anything.

Anyone know why it's does? Do it need be cleaning or what?

Sorry, I just got this car few months ago for my birthday.

I hope you can help me out, it's would be Great! :ty:

Well, when the temperature drops, your car uses more gas! In the winter time the gas mileages DO lower than during summer time. So expect that to happen. When the weather is warming up You'd see improvement with mileage.
BTW, if fuel DO leaks you'd know for sure because the "Service soon" lights will come on immediately when computer sense loss of fuel pressure, or leak. Only 1996 or later model have this feature. (VERY Limited 1994-1995 models have that too)

Check your air filter , sometimes air filter gets so clogged up that it uses more gas. You would be surprised how much a really serious dirty air filter can use so much gas, man !!!! That can be a real eye opener. People always forget about replacing the air filter. That is always overlooked. When you take off the dirty air filter. First, start your car and let the engine run idle for a few mintunes. Tap the gas a few times to blow all the dirty air out then wipe down with a rag then put on the new air filter.

Another simple reason is that you may need a tuneup on the engine. While engines are more tuneup free these days due to the microchip (computer) running it, engines still need one from time to time.

my friend tried to help with my honda civic bec i was struggling with the same thing but realized this part my friend bought to replace some kind of valve (spark plug) whatever can not be done because my car was 2002... u can buy those in auto parts store... for like 8 bucks...to save gas fuel. it only can be done for year 2000 or before. I can't really remmy.. was it valve or some kinda of spark plug.... sorry.. u can ask the store....

The another thing you need to think about is the car leaking at high speeds?

Go to a dollar store like Dollar General or Family Dollar and buy a white bedsheet then go under your car and tie on the bedsheet on non-moving parts on 4 corners under your car then get in your car and go 55 mph then come home and check the bedsheet then add on another new bedsheet on non-moving parts, this time get in your car and go at low speed like 25 mph then come home and check the bedsheet if none show up then your car is leaking at high speeds.

Not only that you will know exactly where it is leaking at.

downing said:
my friend tried to help with my honda civic bec i was struggling with the same thing but realized this part my friend bought to replace some kind of valve (spark plug) whatever can not be done because my car was 2002... u can buy those in auto parts store... for like 8 bucks...to save gas fuel. it only can be done for year 2000 or before. I can't really remmy.. was it valve or some kinda of spark plug.... sorry.. u can ask the store....

Maybe a hotter plug than the normal plug? I used to use a hotter plug when my vehicles aged....

Tousi said:
Maybe a hotter plug than the normal plug? I used to use a hotter plug when my vehicles aged....

what do u mean by "hotter plug" ? pls show me example, thanks !

You just bought the car.

hmm. Is a gas cap still there?

If not, then it's lemon for gas mileage. But, I am surprised to read this chart.
(Find a Car)

Last edited by a moderator:
Y said:
what do u mean by "hotter plug" ? pls show me example, thanks !

Y, good morning; read this:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/2002sparkplug/

Y, the reason I'm providing the above URL is because I am not an expert and I don't want for someone to go get a hotter plug just because I said so; it is a little more complicated than that. One has to do the right thing or suffer the consequences.

It sounds like a leak somewhere... or you've got a small gas tank. Some modified cars have smaller gas tanks to make up for the extra space needed for other things. It could probably be the fuel injector or something.

What's the mileage on your car? How many gallons does your car have?

I think that you should buy this special unusual spark plug. It's called a nuke spark plug. Here is the photo: (sorry off subject, just once.)

Last edited by a moderator:
ahaha webexplorer...u certainly have a wonderful humor !

hey, thanks to Tousi and Heath....

IMHO, i think that these spark plugs probably have
nothing to do with the gasoline consumption.
The purpose of spark plugs is to get the engine
started, thats all.

VamPyroX said:
It sounds like a leak somewhere... or you've got a small gas tank. Some modified cars have smaller gas tanks to make up for the extra space needed for other things. It could probably be the fuel injector or something.

What's the mileage on your car? How many gallons does your car have?

it's soon to be 130,000 and it's a 11.9 gallons tank.

my friend has a civic, same as mine, her car is great. she traveled 150 miles before. it's just take up to 1/4 or less. but, mine is WHOLE OF IT.

it's just seem that it's just LOST alot of gas while i'm on high speed on highway, but in city. it's no problem. weird? it's something WRONG with that.

\0\0\0\0;p\0HieBoy]it's soon to be 130,000 and it's a 11.9 gallons tank.

my friend has a civic, same as mine, her car is great. she traveled 150 miles before. it's just take up to 1/4 or less. but, mine is WHOLE OF IT.

it's just seem that it's just LOST alot of gas while i'm on high speed on highway, but in city. it's no problem. weird? it's something WRONG with that.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like roughly 12 MPG....hmmmmm, doesn't sound good

I also have a Honda. It's probably a major tune up, o2 sensor, very dirty air filter or something else. Usually in the winter gas mileage is worse, anyhow.

I get about 300 miles on a full tank of gas on my 1994 Honda Civic in the warmer months, in the winter I get about 250 to 280 ish.

Your car has almost 130,000 miles, it might need some TLC.

TheXandieBoy said:
it's soon to be 130,000 and it's a 11.9 gallons tank.

it's just seem that it's just LOST alot of gas while i'm on high speed on highway, but in city. it's no problem. weird? it's something WRONG with that.
Have you tried getting the VIN checked? Sometimes, you can find a history behind cars like that.

Problems may include, but are not limited to:

- O2 sensor
- Air filter
- Spark plugs
- Temperature sensor

Has your car taken an emissions test? That might give us some more hints.

Endymion said:
Problems may include, but are not limited to:

- O2 sensor
- Air filter
- Spark plugs
- Temperature sensor

Has your car taken an emissions test? That might give us some more hints.

Don't forget Fuel Filter too.

Back