Foreign country sign names--help, please.

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Much of my interpreting is about current news topics. There is so much happening in the world, especially with wars. It's easier for me if I can use sign names for the countries involved instead of spelling them over, and over. For example, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia; too much spelling.

I found one site with Middle Eastern countries' sign names at www.theinterpretersfriend.com but the descriptions are a little hard to follow, and I'm not sure if they are commonly known within the Deaf community.

My question is--what signs do you use for the following countries:

Afghanistan

Iran

Iraq

Jordan

Kuwait

Lebanon

Palestine

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Syria

Turkey

Yemen

I know the signs for some of them but I wanted to know if there are other commonly used signs for these.

Also, what signs do you use for:

Islam (Muslim)

mosque

Koran (Qu'ran)

I found some indigenous signs at:

http://www.d2000.4mg.com/

http://turkisaretdili.ku.edu.tr/en/wordlist/sozluk.aspx?Cat=7#

http://www.needsoutreach.org/Pages/sign-cntry.html

http://www.theinterpretersfriend.com/indj/cntry/middleeast.html

I asked some local Deaf people for suggestions but they didn't have any.

:) Reba-- I was about to type you a long list of different signs I use with descriptions until my husband walked in and told me that he could just film and email you the video.

Score.

So PM me for your email address so I can forward you (2mb of 43 seconds worth of signs).

I only know Afghantisan, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, (and I threw in Pakistan), Muslim/Islam and mosque. The rest-- I spell out anyway.

(EDITED:
YAY! I found a place that will upload my movie for FREE so here is the link:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/6530131995602926/middleeast4/
and pardon my appearace!)

(EDITED 2:
For Saudia Arabia, I tend to just fingerspell "S-->A" in one sweep motion-- S...A, not (SA) in one place. And for Palestine-- I use "P" to replace the sign for Israel but I am sure they will be upset if they see me doing that.)

Last edited:
Reba said:

I sign Turkey as the same as I would sign for the thanksgiving turkey. I know, it's not the right sign, but it's the only sign I know. ::shrugs::

How about foreign country signs from the philippines &/or japan?? :confused:

Does any one know or have any links to that??

That would be so cool to learn it.

Take care. :)

gnarlydorkette said:
:) Reba-- I was about to type you a long list of different signs I use with descriptions until my husband walked in and told me that he could just film and email you the video.

Score.

So PM me for your email address so I can forward you (2mb of 43 seconds worth of signs).

I only know Afghantisan, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, (and I threw in Pakistan), Muslim/Islam and mosque. The rest-- I spell out anyway.

(EDITED:

(EDITED 2:
For Saudia Arabia, I tend to just fingerspell "S-->A" in one sweep motion-- S...A, not (SA) in one place. And for Palestine-- I use "P" to replace the sign for Israel but I am sure they will be upset if they see me doing that.)

Video link does not work ? Why is there green and pink scramble on the video :confused:

gnarlydorkette said:

(EDITED:

(EDITED 2:
Wow, that is a very clear, professional video! Your hubby is a very skilled videographer. :P Thank you very much.

BTW, your appearance looks fine. ;)

Thanks for throwing in Pakistan; I can use that one, too.

Iran, Iraq, and Turkey are the same that I use. Thanks for confirming those signs.

I understand what you mean about "S-A" for Saudi Arabia. I use similar abbreviation-signs for U-S-A, U-N (United Nations), and E-U (European Union). I also found one site that uses a bent "B" handshape that "wraps" a turban around the head for Saudi Arabia.

You're right about that Palestine sign maybe bothering people. The other sign that I found for Palestine uses a "5" handshape, palm facing the signer, begining at the top of the face, moving down to the chin, and closing into an "S" shape. It's supposed to look like a terrorist pulling on a ski mask. That's probably an offensive sign, too.

I understand your concept for "mosque" but I'm not sure about using that one. I saw a picture on the Kuwaiti signs site that I kind of like. The position is like signing "day", except the dominant hand uses a "C" crescent moon shape instead of a "1", and it doesn't move. I think it's supposed to look like a minaret tower with the Islamic moon on top.

I'm so glad that you demonstrated the sign for Afghanistan. I've read three totally different descriptions of signs for that country, and I couldn't figure them out. It's so much better to see someone actually do the sign.

Do you know anything about the sources for the three "Islam" signs? It looks like one of the signs is initialized, so that might be a SEE sign? Do you know if one way is more "widespread" or popular than the others? Which one do you prefer?

Again, thank you very much!

LuciaDisturbed said:
I sign Turkey as the same as I would sign for the thanksgiving turkey. I know, it's not the right sign, but it's the only sign I know. ::shrugs::
If you can view gnarlydorkette's video, you will see the sign for the country Turkey. :P

This is the mosque sign that I found:

Attachments

• mosque.jpg
    mosque.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 18
I was reading about different religious signs, and the book (don't recall which one) said that as you would sign JESUS BOOK for the Christian bible, you might sign MUSLIM BOOK or MUSLIM HOLY BOOK for the Qu'ran. Even if I'm not recalling correctly, and that's incorrect, it's at least understandable.

Great video, gnarly! I really like the sign for Afghanistan. Thanks for showing us the signs for those countries, I was always wondering about signs for those countries and am tired of fingerspelling the names of those countries.:D

JohnnyE said:
Video link does not work ? Why is there green and pink scramble on the video :confused:

Video looks fine to me here. There might be something wrong on your end, Johnny.

LuciaDisturbed said:
Video looks fine to me here. There might be something wrong on your end, Johnny.

Ok !!!! Thank you Lucia I will look into it and call Windows Media Player 800 toll free number on my VP to see what can be done.

JohnnyE said:
i did clicked video link.. it worked for me... it must be your computer..
SxyPorkie

LuciaDisturbed said:
Great video, gnarly! I really like the sign for Afghanistan. Thanks for showing us the signs for those countries, I was always wondering about signs for those countries and am tired of fingerspelling the names of those countries.:D

Yes it is great video.. gnarly is beautiful,,, her sign langauges are very clear,.
SxyPorkie

gnarlydorkette,

Thank you for sharing your video with us. It's very beneficial to the entire deaf community here at AD! :)

me_punctured said:
gnarlydorkette,

Thank you for sharing your video with us. It's very beneficial to the entire deaf community here at AD! :)

I second that!

Very rare for me to understand American ASL, I can practically follow yours quite well, - fanastic ideas to show in video than writing and explain for each countries.

Thank you.

Opal said:
I second that!

Very rare for me to understand American ASL, I can practically follow yours quite well, - fanastic ideas to show in video than writing and explain for each countries.

Thank you.

I am same with Opal that I understand the video quite clearly with some knowledge of ASL. The video is very good and clear.

Thanks gnarlydorkette for showing the signing of some country. :)

Great video, thanks for sharing!

In my area, I have seen the sign for IRAQ as the same as IRAN only using a Q instead of the thumb pushing into the left palm. That sign for IRAQ is I believe British Sign Language's sign for ENGLAND (which I believe I saw gnarlydorkette mention, but my video quality was kind of choppy).

Also in my area, many people sign MUSLIM as though they are signing WONDERFUL, only closer to the chest and smaller, as though indicating double bowing (because of the prayer rituals).

Interpretrator said:
Great video, thanks for sharing!

In my area, I have seen the sign for IRAQ as the same as IRAN only using a Q instead of the thumb pushing into the left palm. That sign for IRAQ is I believe British Sign Language's sign for ENGLAND (which I believe I saw gnarlydorkette mention, but my video quality was kind of choppy).

Also in my area, many people sign MUSLIM as though they are signing WONDERFUL, only closer to the chest and smaller, as though indicating double bowing (because of the prayer rituals).

The sign you described for "Muslim" sounds like the sign I use.

I haven't seen the other signs before, and due to my geographic area not many people know them anyway, so I've given up asking. THANK YOU for making that video.

Back