Foreign country sign names--help, please.

Interpretrator said:
Great video, thanks for sharing!

In my area, I have seen the sign for IRAQ as the same as IRAN only using a Q instead of the thumb pushing into the left palm. That sign for IRAQ is I believe British Sign Language's sign for ENGLAND (which I believe I saw gnarlydorkette mention, but my video quality was kind of choppy).
Yes, I've seen that used for ENGLAND (I don't remember where; I haven't seen anyone locally use it).

To confuse matters further:

The United Kingdom (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
U-K in British fingerspelling2&3, that is, [1] touches pinky of [5], PO > DS, FO up, then knuckle of [X], PO > signer, touches index finger of [1], PO > DS, FO up. To see a discussion of the differences between "Britain", "England", and "the United Kingdom", go to Indigenous signs: United Kingdom and see "Webmaster's note."
Britain (Great Britain)
(1) (2h)[5], POs down, FOs away, are held at waist level and move up and down. For an animated gif of this sign, see BristishSignLanguage.com - Britain. (2) G-B in British fingerspelling2, that is, (2h), DH strikes NDH on thumb side from above with little finger side.

England (England)
(2h)[1], POs > signer, but forming right angles so that FTs can point outward diagonally. DH slides its index finger along NDH's index several times.4 (< the index finger is an "E" in British fingerspelling.) For an animated gif of this sign, see BritishSignLanguage.com - England. Please note: The sign [bC] or [bC dot], PO towards, FO > NDS, strikes chin is not used in BSL. This is sometimes shown as such, but in error.2
http://theinterpretersfriend.com/indj/cntry/westerneurope.html

The sentence in bold refers to the ENGLAND sign that looks similar to the IRAQ sign. According to this site, it's incorrect. :dunno:

Also in my area, many people sign MUSLIM as though they are signing WONDERFUL, only closer to the chest and smaller, as though indicating double bowing (because of the prayer rituals).
Yes, I've seen that too (on a website, I think) but I haven't seen any locals use it.

I read a note on the IRAQ sign that said to do that sign (on the chin) but move it downward. I wonder if that is an iconic sign indicating a beard?

Great video, Gnarly! I can see you cleearly. Now I know what signs for those countries.

I know sign of Iran is thumb on hand like you do, turkey- sign like animal turkey, muslium- hands as if they are praying.

Back