For us, old timers

Oh you guys will be so proud of me!

I grew up wearing only sparkly lip gloss. There were times I had to resort to mixing Vaseline with a wee bit of sparkle! :giggle:

Early this week I went to The Body Shop, a staple growing up and still is a staple of mine, I asked about the Hi-Shine Lip Treatment. I grew up wearing this just like I grew up wearing Tigress, anyone remember this beautiful musky perfume from Faberge?

I asked about this and Body Shop just informed me they discontinued this! :eek:

The manager, oh the very beautiful lady.. she checked the back for me and found 7 of them!! She was willing to part with them for only $1.00 each!! I grabbed all 7 of them for $7.00 and found out the regular price is $13.00!! They still continue making it, just not the sparkly lip gloss kind.
Good deal!

I'm glad I have this and I am conserving it carefully after all I only have 7 and I plan to make sure I die with this lip gloss on my lips!!
:lol:

I am so jealous!

I grew up very tomboyish!

Even if I had a Barbie, the first thing I chopped off would be her hair! :giggle:
My Barbies already had short hair!

I played with Barbies but I also played with GI Joe, and I would play "adventures" with my toy six-shooters and rifle (I loved the TV Westerns from the 50's). I never thought of classifying my play time as either girly or tomboyish. :lol:

Keep the unique set you have. If you could, take pictures. I am just so jealous, want to see pics.
Yes, I'm keeping them. I'll try to take some pictures later.

:hmm: Rubik's clock, I'll look that up...

wow, Bott, all those trolls, I am not very familiar with them, did you have a favorite? did u name them?

ok here's some more:

Slinky,

movie Jaws;

friendship bracelets/friendship bobby pins;

"Hot Wheels" little racing cars;

"punk" haircut styles:)

An oldie is making a comeback!!

Clogs!

I am just so happy for that; clogs were good for me & my posture. I was a very-late walker at 2 years old because of my Usher's. I'd finally start running before I was 5 years old. My aunt looked at clogs and tried them on me; they actually helped my posture and supported me while walking.

Between you and me, I just loved how much power I got from those clogs. *Pow pow pow pow* from each step.

Clogs and cork shoes are coming back and I'm thrilled.

Even at my beautiful weight; you bet I will be getting the cork shoes with the lace-ups.

I'll try my darndest to tie up the laces on my beautiful thick legs!!

:laugh2:

I always did that to my cousin's best Barbies.

My sisters and I grew up with no Barbies. My mom knew better than to buy us Barbies, she's seen us hacking off their hair & mutilate Barbie's faces, etc.

My cousin would hide her Barbies and give us her plastic ones! :eek3:

We always asked for scissors, safety pins and sewing pins.

Yes, we were sadistic and we made sure both Barbie and Ken were PC correct. We'd draw their bodies in. :giggle:

I'm laughing here because we'd shock our parents!

My sister and I never had barbies and dolls, we was never interested in them. My mum was disappointed because she was excited when she knew she was having girls since she wanted to buy us all dolls and barbies and dress us up in girly clothes. We was tomboyish kids, we loved to run around and climb up trees etc

Ice skating on the pond, the music, cheap to buy candy. Love the styles of the clothes. and not so much of the new technology!!! LOL and love climbing up the tree that was across the street from my mom but now it is gone. :(

I had one Barbie and lots books and stuffed animals and toy cars/trucks and things like Legos. I was into MTV and liked being outside and climbing trees and riding my Big Wheels or bike as a young kid...never got into makeup or hair or clothes.

My sister and I never had barbies and dolls, we was never interested in them. My mum was disappointed because she was excited when she knew she was having girls since she wanted to buy us all dolls and barbies and dress us up in girly clothes. We was tomboyish kids, we loved to run around and climb up trees etc

You and me!

To their friends, my parents were always mistaken for having two girls and a boy. :laugh2:

Yes, I've always been mistaken as a boy!

:hmm: Rubik's clock, I'll look that up...

wow, Bott, all those trolls, I am not very familiar with them, did you have a favorite? did u name them?

)

That is just a picture and not my personal trolls. :)

But I don't think I named them. More like, orange troll, green troll, etc.

My Barbies, from the early 60's.

My mom made most of these outfits.

I crocheted the green slippers.

The "BBQ" outfit with utensils, and the jammies, were store bought.

The plaid poncho--my mom made a full-size matching one with a hood for me.

The red bathing suit is the original suit that the Barbies came in.

I'm afraid the outfits that my mom made are worse for wear. They are starting to disintegrate. :(

Those are amazing Reba. Your mother had a lot of talent.

I LOVE DOLLS!!!! Love those green slippers, too!

I have my Barbies, which are about a decade newer than Reba's Barbies. The clothes are groovy! lol The clothes are starting to get in bad shape. I framed the dolls, clothes and shoes in display frames to protect them. I also like looking at them on the wall. I'll take some pics later and post them.

I also have my mother's dolls which are older than Reba's Barbies. They are hard material with wired limbs. An experienced friend rewired the limbs for me. Their clothes are long gone but I bought them some appropriate period clothes at a special doll shop.

Those are amazing Reba. Your mother had a lot of talent.
And a lot of patience!

You can't see it in the photos but the black dress has sequins sewn on it, the backs of the dresses and slacks have tiny snaps and hooks, the coats are fully lined, the bridesmaid gown used to have rhinestones on the bodice, and the skirt is lined with blue taffeta. Also, the red head doll is wearing a blue three-piece swim outfit; underneath the cover-up shirt was a strapless bikini top. Under the bridal gown, Barbie is wearing lace "pantaloons". Everything is very tiny and detailed. The red "Asian" cocktail dress has a mandarin collar, and slits on the sides of the skirt.

Also, she did all her sewing late at night after I went to bed. These outfits were surprise Christmas gifts to me. She worked during the day, and sewed at night. We were poor after my parents divorced, so it was a lot for her to do. She was a wonderful mom.

I'll try to dig up some older pictures. She also sewed school clothes for me when I was in early elementary school, and she used the scraps to make matching outfits for my baby dolls. She also sewed overalls for my teddy bear so he wouldn't be naked, ha, ha.

LOL!!! @ reba's post about naked teddy bear

I LOVE DOLLS!!!! Love those green slippers, too!
Heh, heh, that's the limit to my skill. :lol:

I have my Barbies, which are about a decade newer than Reba's Barbies. The clothes are groovy! lol The clothes are starting to get in bad shape. I framed the dolls, clothes and shoes in display frames to protect them. I also like looking at them on the wall. I'll take some pics later and post them.
That's a cool idea, to frame and display them.

I have a few "new" Barbies. I have the one that looks like Queen Elizabeth I, Colonial and Pioneer Barbies, and Sailor Barbie. I have one of my daughter's Barbies, from the 80's, which has big, long hair and "Dynasty" style outfits.

I had a Skipper and some really cute outfits for her. I liked the outfits that came with accessories like skates and skis.

I also have my mother's dolls which are older than Reba's Barbies. They are hard material with wired limbs. An experienced friend rewired the limbs for me. Their clothes are long gone but I bought them some appropriate period clothes at a special doll shop.
I'd like to see pictures of those, too. :)

LOL!!! @ reba's post about naked teddy bear
Yeah, poor Teddy (very original name, huh?). :lol:

He wore one of my baby brother's old t-shirts, red and black stripes, tucked into purple overalls that my mom made. The squeeker quit working in his tail, and he lost his glass eyes. My mom made him new "eyes" with a couple of black buttons. He was very snuggly. :aw:

I never had a Skipper. My grandmother was the one who sewed for me. She made Barbie clothes, too, and it took so much patience! Even the seams had to be small because of the size of the clothes! My grandma also made my Easter dress every year. I liked white gloves to go with the dress. Of course, white shoes and a small white purse, too! Good memories. I stayed with my grandma a lot and she was my mother figure. I sure do miss her.

Dynasty outfits sound very elegant! Please post pics if you have time.

My favorite Barbie outfit when I was a little girl was a wedding dress. It wasn't very fancy but it had silver sparkles and I thought it was beautiful.

3492jj6.jpg

Besides trolls, I had a stuffed monkey like this one.

Not always "girly". :lol:

My 8th birthday. My favorite t-shirts were from Western TV shows. I think I'm wearing "Restless Gun" in this picture.

I loved my cap-firing six-shooters.

Back