For those with hearing aids, I have 7 questions. Please help!

Thank you all for your responses!! Yes, this survey is part of an online course with many students whose professor requires this as an assignment. I will pass along your feelings about this in my reaction to the assignment. One of the students in my class recommended this site as a place to meet people who may be using hearing aids, so that's why you've seen similar postings. Thank you for your help even though we have bombarded you with these questions! Thanks for sharing and thanks for a lesson in whale :)

Do you realize some people are born deaf or HOH and that it was their parents or a doctor realize this?

Yes, thank you. I assume you are referring to question #2 about suspecting hearing loss. I'd assume my professor included this question for those who may have post-lingual acquired hearing loss.

do they still sell analog??? just wonder

Analog aids are still made, yes. I ordered one cheap-ass Starkey clone from a Hong Kong supplier for $200 for my wife after her $1500 aid crapped out, and surprisingly it is top-notch quality, and still going strong 4 years now. It is for profoundly deaf (something like 153dB max), only has 2 adjustments, and sounds much better than her Beltone ever did.

No audiologist needed...just keep your old analog aid and match the setting buttons.

I suspect Starkey shipped their factory overseas years ago, and now that company makes the same aids under a different name.

ok... this is the 3rd person I've seen post on here with the exact same set of questions..... in less than 2 weeks!

True, but the thing is............WHY are they the exact same questions? I wish instructors would get more creative with the questions. Maybe too have a separate set of questions for someone who would be the Typical HLAA member vs. someone who's always had hearing loss etc etc etc.

I FINALLY get my new hearing aids tomorrow. I've been waiting a few months now. Anyway, I wore them when I was a kid but that was over 20 years ago. I'm now 36 and have a hearing 3 year old that I really would like to hear. SOOOOOOO... I'm getting hearing aids.

My audiologist warned me of this but she still stood by the digital ones being better. She explained it pretty well... they just SOUND different. We are trained to the old inconsistent and over-amplified analogs. The digitals are more correct.

I was offered the Widex Super 440 and the Phonak Naida V. I reclutantly chose the Widex because I want accuracy as opposed to overampflication. The audiologist warned me that I will need to have an open mind and try to "train" myself to hear those sounds.

ARRRRRGHHHH! I'm nervous. I am probably going to hate these hearing aids and will probably never consistently wear them but I gotta try 'em for my kid. I'm tired of seeing people melt when he talks to them. I wanna melt too!

You might be surprised....I know a deep profounder (wore a body worn in the early 80's) who got digitals and she was getting SPEECH?!?!?!?

Hi! I'm a student studying hearing sciences and as part of my school work, I am required to interview three people who wear/have worn hearing aids about their history and feelings toward the devices. If you would be so kind to answer the following 7 questions regarding your experience with hearing aids, I'd greatly appreciate it! The questions are:

1) How long have you worn hearing aids?
2) How long did you suspect you had hearing loss before getting the hearing aids?
3) How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?
4) Do you feel like you are benefitting from your hearing aids?
5) What complaints do you have about your hearings aids?
6) Do you feel like the hearing aids have been what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would be?
7) Did you get the hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?

Again, I appreciate your help. Please answer these questions as candid as you'd like!

You're the best! - Jordan

1) My parents realized I could not hear well when I was 3.
2) -
3) I don't wear them unless I'm in school or with friends. So that would be about 8-12 hours a day. I just finished school so I tend to not put them in all day.
4) My listening comprehension improves when I wear them, so yes.
5) They are a little too loud for me, a little too sharp. It is not something that I've ever really gotten used to after wearing them for 22 years.
6) I felt like my audiologist "played" them up too much, she expected them to "change" my life. I did improve in terms of listening comprehension when switching to newer digital hearing aids, but my "enjoyment" of sound did not increase, nor did the stress of trying to understand people.
7) Audiologist

1) Not counting the set up period at the audiologists... about seven minutes.
2) Actually, I didn't realize there was such a thing as hearing until it was pointed out to me.
3) Setting records as we speak... Going on 8 minutes now.
4) So far so good!
5) Things are awfully loud and grotesque. I already want to take them off but I am determined to try them.
6) I think they were much more than what the audiologist made them out to be. 120+ dB loss and now I hear 20% speech. The audiologist seemed to be really impressed with that.
7) Audiologist.

2) How long did you suspect you had hearing loss before getting the hearing aids?
6) Do you feel like the hearing aids have been what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would be?

Hi Jordan,

1. Worn hearing aids from the age of six years old to the present.
2. Mother had German Measles, they long suspected but thought I was mildly mentally retarded in the beginning. They were surprised later to learn I was fine but just couldn't hear.
3. I wear hearing aids from the moment my feet hit the ground getting out of bed until I'm lying in bed and remove them at night.
4. Yes, it keeps me connected to people and all the sounds I love, my music, my movies, languages, etc.
5. I hate the costs, the conditions insurance companies place on coverage, and the fact that the battery life is so short.
6. Yes, my audiologist was honest and I'm delighted with my current model. They're amazing.
7. They're both actually; they sell hearing aids but they have audiologists on staff too. Although freuqently they're just dealers at most businesses without the medical background.

Good luck with your paper....:wave:

Laura

Hey, the poor kid is doing homework, at least spice up the answers a little bit for entertainment. :)

All of my answers were honest.

Since before your mother was born. (Probably)
It never crossed my mind. (Refer to whatdidyousay?'s response)
Whenever there are people around.
Considering the cost and inconvenience, I had better be.
Cost, and I would like vibrant interchangeable colors. But Ear Gear suffices for that.
Yes indeed. In fact so intelligent, they surpass some humans I know.
Audiologist
Again, I appreciate your help. Please answer these questions as candid as you'd like!

There you go Tx

Cost, and I would like vibrant interchangeable colors. But Ear Gear suffices for that.
Audiologist

There you go Tx

Thank you! :thumb: I owe ya one.

1) Not counting the set up period at the audiologists... about seven minutes.
2) Actually, I didn't realize there was such a thing as hearing until it was pointed out to me.
3) Setting records as we speak... Going on 8 minutes now.
4) So far so good!
5) Things are awfully loud and grotesque. I already want to take them off but I am determined to try them.
6) I think they were much more than what the audiologist made them out to be. 120+ dB loss and now I hear 20% speech. The audiologist seemed to be really impressed with that.
7) Audiologist.

lol... I wonder what was your reaction when you heard your kid talking? I remember my dad giving my old hearing aids to someone who never heard before. He was part of a group of guys he hired to do some remodeling on our old house. He was smiling so hard when he put them on and it was contagious. Ill never forget that day. But there were sounds that were too loud for him and he would take them off lol.

haha I was afraid you wouldn't get the Nemo reference, I <3 that movie, I'm 37 and I am not ashamed!!

My fiancé proposed to me while watching Finding Nemo and we are 26 (he is 27 now but proposed a year ago) and I won't be "old" aka 27 until next week....

My fiancé proposed to me while watching Finding Nemo and we are 26 (he is 27 now but proposed a year ago) and I won't be "old" aka 27 until next week....

I've turned 27 every year for the past 10 years, maybe when it's my birthday in a few weeks i'll turn "28" ;)

1) How long have you worn hearing aids? 2 1/2 years
2) How long did you suspect you had hearing loss before getting the hearing aids? I had instant hearing loss at 8 years old, so 14 years.
3) How long do you wear your hearing aids each day? From when I get ready (put my aids in when I put my jewelry in), to when I lay in bed at night.
4) Do you feel like you are benefitting from your hearing aids? Somewhat. I hear a sound here and there. I never know what it is.
5) What complaints do you have about your hearings aids? Nothing, I love them other than my loss is too great for them now!
6) Do you feel like the hearing aids have been what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would be? Yes.
7) Did you get the hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer? Audiologist.

Audiologist

There you go Tx

I love your answer to # 2 !! I had no idea I was HOH , I was born HOH and had nothing to compare my hearing to. The OP did not think these questions though very good. He/she is generalization way too much.

I love your answer to # 2 !! I had no idea I was HOH , I was born HOH and had nothing to compare my hearing to. The OP did not think these questions though very good. He/she is generalization way too much.

It was the teacher, not the OP....

Laura

Back