For those who suport NCLB..take a hard look at this cartoon

The tests are modified depending on the mandates of the IEP. The Deaf children are being screwed because so few gives a damn!!!!!

2010/2011 SOL Results

We finally had the ability to require schools to educate Deaf children EQUALLY and they are now taking it away with waivers and Obama not wanting to making things so hard on school district that don't perform.

Slowly we turn......

The tests are modified depending on the mandates of the IEP. The Deaf children are being screwed because so few gives a damn!!!!!

2010/2011 SOL Results

We finally had the ability to require schools to educate Deaf children EQUALLY and they are now taking it away with waivers and Obama not wanting to making things so hard on school district that don't perform.

Slowly we turn......

They can't modify standardized testing based on the IEP. Only the test developers can do that, and it is a lengthy process.

Then you are saying that deaf people are fundamentally different from hearing people. When does that happen? Just deaf from birth? How about hard of hearing from birth? How about born hearing with a fast progressive loss? How about born hearing but deafened by illness before age 2? When does the hearing loss become the person?

Do you also refuse to use standardized testing on people from racial minorities?

wow...you got lots to learn about educating deaf children.

You are hearing. You are not Deaf. You can be a hearing ally to the Deaf community, but you aren't Deaf. I'm sorry that you can't accept who you are. That is simply not how is works.

She is Deaf but not deaf.

You know what I find ironic?

You said you grew up more involved with the hearing world because your parents didnt want to expose you to the Deaf community due to their lack of support towards them for implanting and mainstreaming you. Ok, we understand their feelings but from my understanding, your interaction with the Deaf community has been on a very minimal basis

Jillio, on the other hand, spent the last 20 plus years actively involved with the Deaf community and uses ASL in her daily life.

So, who is Deaf?

Actually, the test are modified given the mandates of the IEP. If they need to have instructions signed....they are signed. If the scale of the font needs to be 24....then it is 24. If the child is blind do you expect them to fill in the blank. No, of course not. They also have what is alternative testing. This is for the child who legitimately can not take the "standard" test, yet their scores are counted and the material required to learn remains the same.

And if I have so much to learn....please teach me.

I live in a community that could give a rats ...... whether or not the Deaf children are educated....and this would include the deaf.

Actually, the test are modified given the mandates of the IEP. If they need to have instructions signed....they are signed. If the scale of the font needs to be 24....then it is 24. If the child is blind do you expect them to fill in the blank. No, of course not. They also have what is alternative testing. This is for the child who legitimately can not take the "standard" test, yet their scores are counted and the material required to learn remains the same.

And if I have so much to learn....please teach me.

I live in a community that could give a rats ...... whether or not the Deaf children are educated....and this would include the deaf.

You are confused regarding the standardization of testing. Simply modifying a standardized test for a purpose for which it is not intended lacks just as much validity as using the original test for the purpose for which it is not intended. Just signing instructions does not increase the validity of scores obtained on subtests, the weight of the scoring, or the overall score.

That is the simple explanation. I can give you more details regarding the processses of constructing parallel forms of a test, different weightings according to different populations, and the standards that have to be met in doing that, but I need to know that you can at least understand the basics before I waste time with giving you a graduate level lecture in statistics and psychometrics.

Who said you had so much to learn? I think that was Shel talking to Deafguy. Forget who you were logged on as?

Actually did you know that they scam the system? They have 5% of kids "off limits" for test scores, so that low scorers don't drag the test scores down...and the low scorers tend to be sped kids....sigh.

Actually did you know that they scam the system? They have 5% of kids "off limits" for test scores, so that low scorers don't drag the test scores down...and the low scorers tend to be sped kids....sigh.

Yep.

at the mainstreamed schools? Where can I find it online?

And that is why "mainstream" kids appear to do better then those who attend deaf schools or programs.

Can you show us something to support your assertion?

Are you certain that includes mainstreamed DHH children, or does it include DHH kids who are in a self contained Sp Ed class?

Can you show us something to support your assertion?

Are you certain that includes mainstreamed DHH children, or does it include DHH kids who are in a self contained Sp Ed class?

It contains everyone that falls in that area.

Just to clarify PFH- you are saying that kids with IEP's in the mainstream don't count for their scores on state testing?

Back