flipside Q about the CI!

oh, wow deafskeptic. that would have infuriated me. doesn't your mother realize how expensive our ci processors are?

no CI is water proof it is water resistant and it dont mean to swim nor shower with it . DeafSkeptic let me know when you get your Opus 2 .. I should get mine anytime now . woo hoo for the remote.

vivie,

it's interesting because when i was in the process of choosing a ci brand, my former ci audi (who has since left the field) immediatey ruled out med-el based on the fact that their processor was not accessible to me as a totally blind person. the only 2 other options i had were cochlear and advanced bionics. i was leaning towards ab, but changed my mind after having difficulty with their battery charger (not through a fault of product design but due to my blindness). another challenge i would have was the fact that i don't have anyone here who can take a look at the indicator light to tell me whether or not it is lit so that i can troubleshoot problems. ab had a really nice processor when it came to the auria, but the battery charger was one of my main reasons for selecting cochlear instead (among other reasons).

I chose Cochlear for having LCD and helping in troubleshooting..not to mention that u can lock it..seeing that I look after kids often..it was VERY useful! also for the ability to turn the light off..aack that annoys me! lol , but also it was the implant that my surgeon implanted the most , so he had more experience.And I'm pleased with my choice.

As for severe cts..I know how you feel..I don't have any problems with my hands but even I have sometimes problems to adjust it right.buttons on CI could be redesigned better.

As for the MED EL , I wasn't too pleased with OPUS 1 model , it was the only available in Greece when I got implanted , and didn't like the look of it! I could have the OPUS2 upgrade after a few months down the road( I was told that ) , but I was too worried what if I lost the remote.I've lost my keys lots of times , and have misplaced HA and cellphone quite a number of times.although that I do have to mention that MED EL here has excellent service and troubleshoot, Cochlear office isn't as good here..Can u believe that they don't have anything on stock?:shock:

SouthFella..I do know that u made the best choice u could see with your options , as everyone does.but it's too immature to plug all the time for MED EL , in every single bloody post.it starts to get tiring after a while.please refrain from it...:roll:

deafskeptic, I know how u feel..but my parents respect my own decisions.And for having the implant in the bathroom..that's a no-no for me.just have patience and maybe they'll understand.mine did after I've shown them the price of a CI proccessor ,so now they don't complain...much! lol! not to mention that I'm a good lipreader.so they don't need to pass notes , just rephrase or simplify their words.

I sure could had use the remote at Cheesecake factory last night !! It was dark and noisy to the max. I just popped off my CI magnet and enjoyed the sllence and so so food . Cheesecake was good though...

in a dark environment all i would have had to do was press the program button on my freedom, listen for the respective beeps and have known what setting i was on. no remote needed.

in a dark environment all i would have had to do was press the program button on my freedom, listen for the respective beeps and have known what setting i was on. no remote needed.

Exactly. I never look at my display anymore. I put the processor on in the morning and then I turn it on. Change programs by listening to the beeps.
I admit I can understand the excitement of a remote at first. I know I was excited with my remote for my Widex ha but after a while, it gets old. I quit using it after a month...$250 of wasted money, even more so now that I don't wear the darned ha anymore. :giggle:

Exactly. I never look at my display anymore. I put the processor on in the morning and then I turn it on. Change programs by listening to the beeps.
I admit I can understand the excitement of a remote at first. I know I was excited with my remote for my Widex ha but after a while, it gets old. I quit using it after a month...$250 of wasted money, even more so now that I don't wear the darned ha anymore. :giggle:

:giggle: in my case, all a remote would be is something extra for me to keep track of and i have enough ci accessories as it is.

All those wires and boots and cables .. no wonder CI cost so much !!!

that's just the "candy", the cost is in those tiny electrodes and the chip(s) in the processor...the hi tech stuff. Oh...and the inflation of the actual cost. really high markup on CI's

The markup is incredible though...they billed my military insurance over $40,000 for my implant and the amount they were paid, as agreed upon by accepting my insurance was just over $17,000. Now that is quite a profit....for those that have insurance that pays the full price.

since i have the CI surgery scheduled in less than 2 weeks as long as the pre op stuff goes well next week was wondering if those with CI's have any advice? what should i expect? any suprises? anything i should know prior to having them drill a hole in my head? ive read everything i could find online about it but all the medical reports in the world wont tell me what its like first hand to actually have it done. and dont sugar coat it.

since i have the CI surgery scheduled in less than 2 weeks as long as the pre op stuff goes well next week was wondering if those with CI's have any advice? what should i expect? any suprises? anything i should know prior to having them drill a hole in my head? ive read everything i could find online about it but all the medical reports in the world wont tell me what its like first hand to actually have it done. and dont sugar coat it.

This post is a must read....

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/57860-pre-post-ci-surgery-tips.html

just to clarify, during ci surgery no holes are drilled into the head. instead, a "well" is drilled into the mastoid bone where the internal implant is placed.

just to clarify, during ci surgery no holes are drilled into the head. instead, a "well" is drilled into the mastoid bone where the internal implant is placed.

yes my audi called it a well to make the implant flush but i thought a hole was drilled down into the cochlea to thread the electrodes into it?

yes my audi called it a well to make the implant flush but i thought a hole was drilled down into the cochlea to thread the electrodes into it?

you're right. sorry, ncff07. i guess i'm starting to become delusional after participating in the hugs thread that i can't think clearly. :giggle:

you're right. sorry, ncff07. i guess i'm starting to become delusional after participating in the hugs thread that i can't think clearly. :giggle:

no worries. at first i said that to my audiologist too. said they drilled a hole to put the implant in so it would be flush she quickly corrected me on that. said no its not a hole to put it in its called a well! she also corrected how i say "cochlear" too. before i heard her say it i thought it sounded like ummmm slang for part of a mans anatomy and lear. boy was i embarased!

Back