"Fixing" the child or not?

I have never ever ever felt attacked or threatened or offended by a Deaf person without a CI, or a parent who chooses not to implant their child, or a parent who chooses not to use ASL, or chooses not to use spoken language. Those are their choices, it has nothing to do with my child. What does bother me is when people start assigning motives to MY choices, or saying that we don't have the right to make the choices, or saying that our choices somehow negativly affect their life.

On the contrary, I do feel threatened by the hearing people in general. This case (News: September 2002 - e-Michigan Deaf and Hard of Hearing) clearly tells me that hearing people don’t care about the deaf parents’ rights and they would try to erode the deaf parents’ rights any way they could. This also tells me that the hearing people don’t care about the deaf child’s life. I feel that the hearing people really do steamrolled over deaf people‘s rights. I heard this loud and clear. I often tell myself why should I respect the hearing parents for their choice of implanting their deaf kid when I feel that I am not being respected for my choices. Respect should be a two way street, not an one way street that I often see.

Let me flip that around. Suppose we complained that the hearing people don’t really have a language because they don’t sign and we can’t understand them. We couldn’t understand their ugly habit of moving their mouth - all that spitting! It has to be genetic and this got to be stopped. We can have them sterilized so we don’t have so many of them as they are burden to us. If they don’t have a real language then how can we communicate with them at work? We don’t let them work in good jobs but in menial jobs as it is fitting for them to have those kind of jobs. Now they are living off of us on social security and now they are really being a heavy burden to us. Finally, years later, one of us invent this ASL implant where we can implant the hearing people with. Better start with babies to give them a head start. Never mind that it will raise the chance of meningitis and death. We want to be able to communicate with them. No, the implant didn’t cause their death… it is meningitis and the hearing people can’t prove that the implant caused meningitis. I don’t care about the cost of implant and that it could break down and require re-implant. It is worth every penny to me. We are helping them to be like us - never mind that their peculiar way of life will be gone. I don’t care about their filthy habit of moving their lips. I would be very happy if that habit disappear for good.
I’d bet the hearing people would feel threatened constantly like the deaf people are now.

On the contrary, I do feel threatened by the hearing people in general. This case (News: September 2002 - e-Michigan Deaf and Hard of Hearing) clearly tells me that hearing people don’t care about the deaf parents’ rights and they would try to erode the deaf parents’ rights any way they could. This also tells me that the hearing people don’t care about the deaf child’s life. I feel that the hearing people really do steamrolled over deaf people‘s rights. I heard this loud and clear. I often tell myself why should I respect the hearing parents for their choice of implanting their deaf kid when I feel that I am not being respected for my choices. Respect should be a two way street, not an one way street that I often see.

Let me flip that around. Suppose we complained that the hearing people don’t really have a language because they don’t sign and we can’t understand them. We couldn’t understand their ugly habit of moving their mouth - all that spitting! It has to be genetic and this got to be stopped. We can have them sterilized so we don’t have so many of them as they are burden to us. If they don’t have a real language then how can we communicate with them at work? We don’t let them work in good jobs but in menial jobs as it is fitting for them to have those kind of jobs. Now they are living off of us on social security and now they are really being a heavy burden to us. Finally, years later, one of us invent this ASL implant where we can implant the hearing people with. Better start with babies to give them a head start. Never mind that it will raise the chance of meningitis and death. We want to be able to communicate with them. No, the implant didn’t cause their death… it is meningitis and the hearing people can’t prove that the implant caused meningitis. I don’t care about the cost of implant and that it could break down and require re-implant. It is worth every penny to me. We are helping them to be like us - never mind that their peculiar way of life will be gone. I don’t care about their filthy habit of moving their lips. I would be very happy if that habit disappear for good.
I’d bet the hearing people would feel threatened constantly like the deaf people are now.

To hearing people who dont understand deaf people's feelings or perspectives, when you read the bolded, how did you feel or think? Did you feel negative feelings inside?

If so, that's how many Deaf people feel about hearing society's views on us.

Wonderful way to reverse the situation, Buffalo!

:gpost: :gpost: :D

Seriously, if hearing people are that ignorant towards the deaf community. Why would I want to be hearing just like them?

Yiz

VERY SIMPLE WORDS

If they Deaf , THEY ARE DEAF FOR LIFE

If they Hearing , THEY ARE HEARING FOR LIFE

CI WILL NOT MAKE YOU HEARING AT ALL ! DEAF IS DEAF NO BUT !

Seriously, if hearing people are that ignorant towards the deaf community. Why would I want to be hearing just like them?

Yiz

Exactly! I realized why I don't want to get CI because of all that attitudes from the hearing community. It is all because they refused to learn sign language and don't accept Deaf people the way as we are. I realized that I don't want to risk my life undergoing a surgery just to get down to their level. (I am not talking about hearing people who signs and accept us the way we are, ok?)

Excellent post.

We ought to print that out and hand it to anyone who questions why we don't "Get that surgery to hear like everyone else."

I can understand where the parents are coming from, (those of Li-Li, MissKat--I hope I got those names right) but the implant is just not right for me personally.

Last edited:
Excellent post.

We ought to print that out and hand it to anyone who questions why we don't "Get that surgery to hear like everyone else."

I can understand where the parents are coming from, (those of Li-Li, MissKat--I hope I got those names right) but the implant is just not right for me personally.

And I think that all parents would agree that you shouldn't get a CI if you don"t want one!

This is a case where a mother lost custody of her kids because she either abused or neglected them. While I don't think it is a good idea for the court order any child to be implanted, why should this mother still get a say? Who should decide if the child should get a CI if they don't have capable parents?

If there's one thing I learned, do not accuse others of neglecting their kids or pets, even if if it's already legally-proven; or you will have fingers pointing back at you. Leave it to the lawyers to sort that out. The parents' rights are not terminated, but merely limited if you've read the article.

This is a case where a mother lost custody of her kids because she either abused or neglected them. While I don't think it is a good idea for the court order any child to be implanted, why should this mother still get a say? Who should decide if the child should get a CI if they don't have capable parents?

unless they consider not implanting is neglecting is the reason why she lost custody.

the child still have the rights to be raise in her family culture rather she is taken away from her family or not. when a child get taken away from her muslim family, They still suppose to raise her muslim. Therefore, if the mother does not want the implant, they should accept it because ASL and deaf is her culture. It is VERY hard to take permanent custody away from the parents even if they are abusive. They will take them away temporary while the mother get help.

Back