First appointment

That great! you are doing OK :) and take easy on urself and psstt did make you feel high?? :giggle: t'care :)

Oh yeah, I was VERY loopy from the morphine, as well as the meds for my nausea. I couldn't even think straight for the first 2 hours after I woke up!

Wow, that is quick! Best of success and rest up.

FYI - I had to wait 2 1/2 weeks before being hooked up. Realistically, I probably only needed 1 1/2 weeks but it worked out fine in the end. It is not to say I didn't go crazy not hearing anything for so long toward the end...:D

Oh yeah, I was VERY loopy from the morphine, as well as the meds for my nausea. I couldn't even think straight for the first 2 hours after I woke up!

Hey hon,

Glad everything went okay!

And, about being loopy from morphine, hehehe.. I was too!!! I hope the morphine worked for you, though. Didn't for me. Made me high, but I was still in pain after my surgery.

About activation...WOW!!!!!! That IS fast!!! My friend was implanted a few years back, and she had to wait 4-6 wks? before she was activated. I can't recall how long, but it was awhile after surgery. She was implanted with a different device, though...Advanced Bionics.

Good luck!!!! And feel better soon. :)

Wow Lucia about so much pains?! a plus 10? :Ohno: How do you feel now after seeing yourself in the mirror? I cannot believe how quick your CI goes than others I've read on here. Must be that you been chosen to be special? :giggle:

I have to get my buns starting here and get my hearing test done, and see if I'm a possible candidate for CI. :fingersx: I haven't done that yet, because I wanna see how you're doing first. Yes, You could say I'm still being chicken about it. :giggle: I cannot help it. I'm such a sissy.

Wow Lucia about so much pains?! a plus 10? :Ohno: How do you feel now after seeing yourself in the mirror? I cannot believe how quick your CI goes than others I've read on here. Must be that you been chosen to be special? :giggle:

I have to get my buns starting here and get my hearing test done, and see if I'm a possible candidate for CI. :fingersx: I haven't done that yet, because I wanna see how you're doing first. Yes, You could say I'm still being chicken about it. :giggle: I cannot help it. I'm such a sissy.

:lol: Cheri. I'll Lucia answer this more indepth, but it might be that through studies, they've learned that they can activate patients sooner? That'd be my guess, anyway.

As for pain...That's also differs from person to person. If you have a high threshhold, you may not have as much pain as someone else. If you're pain threshold is low, well..... You better HOPE the nurse has the shot loaded and ready to go! :lol:

And, get the process started, Cheri. You can always back out if you decide you don't want to have it done. But, you should at least find out of you're a candidate. :)

WOW! Ur so lucky ur getting activated soon! I thought everyone usually had to wait a while for you! You must be STOKED! I know personalyl i couldn't wait either length, i'd wake up from surgery and be like, "Turn in on now....and get me some meds to make me high while ur at it. thanx"

Again, congrats and i'm so psyched for u!!

WOW! Ur so lucky ur getting activated soon! I thought everyone usually had to wait a while for you! You must be STOKED! I know personalyl i couldn't wait either length, i'd wake up from surgery and be like, "Turn in on now....and get me some meds to make me high while ur at it. thanx"

Again, congrats and i'm so psyched for u!!

:lol:

That's too funny!

I'm pysched for her, too!!!

Lucia, I'm very glad that your surgery went well. I'm praying for your continued recovery, and for Monday's appointment to go well.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I appreciate that you have taken the effort to inform us despite your pain and meds. Here's a gentle :hug: for you.

As for pain...That's also differs from person to person. If you have a high threshhold, you may not have as much pain as someone else. If you're pain threshold is low, well..... You better HOPE the nurse has the shot loaded and ready to go! :lol:

:laugh2:

And, get the process started, Cheri. You can always back out if you decide you don't want to have it done. But, you should at least find out of you're a candidate. :)

You know what? You're so right, ;) Bear been telling me where I could get my hearing test done, So, I just have to call and make that appt. What am I waiting for?! :lol:

Thanks, everybody!

They took me into the operating room, asked me to scoot over to the operating table from my bed, and then I went *poof* I don't even remember being put to sleep at all, and next thing I knew, the nurses were waking me. I was like, damn, over already?! And the pain was AWFUL! They rushed to give me morpine and some meds for my nausea. I did ask for anti-nausea meds before the surgery, but I still got sick anyway. I threw up and I was was bleeding from my mouth and had a nosebleed too. They told me that this is normal because they had intubated me and when they did it the tube scratched my throat. I am not too surprised about the nosebleed, I get nosebleeds easily, they were frequent when I was a child, so I am not surprised. I was in ALOT of pain for about 2 hours, but getting better gradually. After the 2 hours the pain went down a LOT and localized to my left ear area and left side of my neck...I went home at about 8ish...

I only have pain in left ear area and left side of neck right now. Abel has gone to the pharmacy to get my prescriptions - Tylenol with codeine and antibotics that I'm to take 3x a day for 10 days. I prefer sitting up rather than laying dow because it seems to relieve some of the pressure and some of the pain in my ear area. I was actually sitting up right after surgery because laying down was making me sick! Sitting up helped me a LOT.

I had 2 interpreters for the surgery...the one I had right before my surgery SUCKED ASS! And get this....she is a CODA, but her signs are SO SLOPPY! But they said she was the only one available. She whined about how they did not tell her that she'd be at the hospital all day, that she thought she'd only be there for a couple hours. Whatever.

BUT...I got an excellent interpreter right after surgery, and he was wonderful and has great signing skills. I was very very very impressed with him. In fact, I'm extremely impressed with everybody involved in the surgery, the docs, the nurses, etc. Everyone was so nice.

Well I better go back to bed and rest, I'm waiting for Abel to get back with my meds because my neck is hurting.

Sorry you reacted to the pain / anesthesia - but hopefully you will be feeling like yourself in no time. Activated on MONDAY?? HOLY COW That is absolutely awesome! I am soooo excited for you!

...I prefer sitting up rather than laying dow because it seems to relieve some of the pressure and some of the pain in my ear area. I was actually sitting up right after surgery because laying down was making me sick! Sitting up helped me a LOT.
That's interesting. My friend had the surgery about 18 months ago, and has been sleeping sitting up ever since then. My friend told me that people with CIs aren't supposed to sleep flat. I didn't know that before.

I had 2 interpreters for the surgery...the one I had right before my surgery SUCKED ASS! And get this....she is a CODA, but her signs are SO SLOPPY! But they said she was the only one available. She whined about how they did not tell her that she'd be at the hospital all day, that she thought she'd only be there for a couple hours. Whatever.

BUT...I got an excellent interpreter right after surgery, and he was wonderful and has great signing skills. I was very very very impressed with him. In fact, I'm extremely impressed with everybody involved in the surgery, the docs, the nurses, etc. Everyone was so nice....
I'm sorry you didn't have a good terp for the entire time.

The hospital delayed requesting a terp for my friend. The terp was coming in the door of the hospital at the same time my friend was leaving! I was at the hospital with my friend's family member the whole time, before, during and after surgery, and after recovery. "Unofficially" I was interpreting until the "official" terp showed up (too late). I didn't mind, and my friend was comfortable with that but it irritates me that the hospitals pull this baloney.

WHOO! Good to see ya online!

I am sorry you are in a lot of pains but at least what medication for! :giggle: At least you got it done. ;)

I hate when an interperter did a lousy job! I would be crabby or bitchy if I don't get right information or what dr or anyone says.

Get some rest and we will hear from you when you feel up to it!

:hug:

Thanks, everybody!

They took me into the operating room, asked me to scoot over to the operating table from my bed, and then I went *poof* I don't even remember being put to sleep at all, and next thing I knew, the nurses were waking me. I was like, damn, over already?! And the pain was AWFUL! They rushed to give me morpine and some meds for my nausea. I did ask for anti-nausea meds before the surgery, but I still got sick anyway. I threw up and I was was bleeding from my mouth and had a nosebleed too. They told me that this is normal because they had intubated me and when they did it the tube scratched my throat. I am not too surprised about the nosebleed, I get nosebleeds easily, they were frequent when I was a child, so I am not surprised. I was in ALOT of pain for about 2 hours, but getting better gradually. After the 2 hours the pain went down a LOT and localized to my left ear area and left side of my neck...I went home at about 8ish...

I only have pain in left ear area and left side of neck right now. Abel has gone to the pharmacy to get my prescriptions - Tylenol with codeine and antibotics that I'm to take 3x a day for 10 days. I prefer sitting up rather than laying dow because it seems to relieve some of the pressure and some of the pain in my ear area. I was actually sitting up right after surgery because laying down was making me sick! Sitting up helped me a LOT.

BUT...I got an excellent interpreter right after surgery, and he was wonderful and has great signing skills. I was very very very impressed with him. In fact, I'm extremely impressed with everybody involved in the surgery, the docs, the nurses, etc. Everyone was so nice.

Well I better go back to bed and rest, I'm waiting for Abel to get back with my meds because my neck is hurting.

Back