First appointment

Whoo hoo, Lucia! Looks like you are getting all the information you are asking for and you have great support on here! :hug:

I know that.....and it wasn't my intention to change her mind. She does sound like a perfect canidate. I totally support her....and she's got realistic expectations etc......I'm not bashing her. I think this is a great choice for her!
Lucia.......did you have any speech perception with hearing aids when you were younger? Or was it mostly enviormental sounds etc?

With these latest posts, I would not say, DD, that Lucia's the perfect candidate pre- op, that is. But hey, at least she knows this and perfection for her at this point is, as she says, environmental sounds and if that's good enough for her, that's good enough for me. And if she acquires speech, well, hey, that'll be gravy!

I don't wanna sound stupid, but what are spacers?

Nope, I am not straddling on the fence. :)

Thanks! :)

Lucia,

I didn't know what spacers were when I had my first surgery in 2002....they are also known as positioners and they are inserted in order to help hold in the electrodes...

It has been determined that the use of one is no longer mandatory...so they very rarely, if at all, use them anymore...but it does not hurt to check because when one is used, somewhat of a "pocket" is created, and you'd be susceptible to infection should you ever end up with a strep throat, etc. I contracted meningitis in January 2004 and they believe the reason for that was because I had strep and because of the open space created by the positioner used in my initial surgery, the infection was more easily spread...

After my recovery, the surgeon scheduled me for a re-implanting in March 2004, where they did NOT use one.

Sooo....no spaces, and you should be fine! ;) Good luck.

Lucia,

I didn't know what spacers were when I had my first surgery in 2002....they are also known as positioners and they are inserted in order to help hold in the electrodes...

It has been determined that the use of one is no longer mandatory...so they very rarely, if at all, use them anymore...but it does not hurt to check because when one is used, somewhat of a "pocket" is created, and you'd be susceptible to infection should you ever end up with a strep throat, etc. I contracted meningitis in January 2004 and they believe the reason for that was because I had strep and because of the open space created by the positioner used in my initial surgery, the infection was more easily spread...

After my recovery, the surgeon scheduled me for a re-implanting in March 2004, where they did NOT use one.

Sooo....no spaces, and you should be fine! ;) Good luck.

Okay, thanks for explaining. I'll make sure they don't use spacers. Thanks!

With these latest posts, I would not say, DD, that Lucia's the perfect candidate pre- op, that is.
Well, what I meant is that she is a better canidate then oh.....a prelingally deaf adult who never really got benifit from hearing aids. I know that the "perfect" canidate is usually someone who heard normally at one time,
But hey, at least she knows this and perfection for her at this point is, as she says, environmental sounds and if that's good enough for her, that's good enough for me. And if she acquires speech, well, hey, that'll be gravy!
Oh agreed,.......it is nice to have an implant canidate have relatively low expectations. I see a lot of "I heard my poop plop in the toilet today! I could never have heard that with hearing aids!" or " I can hear without speechreading!" or "I wanna upgrade b/c I can only hear 80% with hearing aids in perfect conditions"

Well, what I meant is that she is a better canidate then oh.....a prelingally deaf adult who never really got benifit from hearing aids. I know that the "perfect" canidate is usually someone who heard normally at one time.

prelingally deaf adult who never got benifit from hearing aids... thats me.. i cant hear shyt on HA or those old box thing when i was very young... and yet im using CI and it has allowed me to hear enviromental sounds and even gotten to a point where i can understand my own name and once in a while a word from radio. So CI is a hope for all deaf adults however... some requires even more training than others. I certainly did a lot of training to get to that point so those deaf people who doesnt benifit from HA will have to have moviation to do the training or its a waste of time.

however... you are correct those who already have benifits of HA ... CI will help more... MOST of time. especially with those who had normal hearing before.

Sorry DD but i just want to correct u on this one because im one of those fully deaf person heh.

Lucia sorry i didnt help much i only can remember so much from age 9 lol i only can remember lot of tests, lot of hospital visits and most of all i remember the surgery night that one i never forget because i remember how i tried to communicate with a nurse in surgery room and that time i was already using gas to make me sleep and i tried to write something and feel asleep in middle of it LOL. then i remember at a point where i was still sleeping, i gagged on something and later i found out they inserted this tube to help keep me breath just in case i stopped for any reason (one of common risks for any surgery) then when i woke up i got sick from that damn gas and there was banages all over my head and it took me 2 weeks before i can get those stitches out (i expected pain but its very little and feel weird) then abt 2 more weeks or so i cant remember exactly how long before i can finally put my CI on. and more tests with that.

so yea u will have to expect a lot of tests lot of trips to be made heh. i wish u good luck and sorry i really cant remmeber much abt first visit or 2nd or even 5th visit :(

Lucia sorry i didnt help much i only can remember so much from age 9 lol i only can remember lot of tests, lot of hospital visits and most of all i remember the surgery night that one i never forget because i remember how i tried to communicate with a nurse in surgery room and that time i was already using gas to make me sleep and i tried to write something and feel asleep in middle of it LOL. then i remember at a point where i was still sleeping, i gagged on something and later i found out they inserted this tube to help keep me breath just in case i stopped for any reason (one of common risks for any surgery) then when i woke up i got sick from that damn gas and there was banages all over my head and it took me 2 weeks before i can get those stitches out (i expected pain but its very little and feel weird) then abt 2 more weeks or so i cant remember exactly how long before i can finally put my CI on. and more tests with that.

so yea u will have to expect a lot of tests lot of trips to be made heh. i wish u good luck and sorry i really cant remmeber much abt first visit or 2nd or even 5th visit :(

Thanks, you are still a big help. Others have been a big help too. :)

Spice, I know........I'm just saying that results from prelingally deaf adults who didn't really get good benifits from hearing aids, has been VERY VERY mixed. Like very few are functionally hoh with CI. They do get some improvement, but not as much as people who had some hearing, or who heard normally at one time. Research has shown that even adults who heard normally when they were babies, even for a few months, tend to do better then folks who never had that abilty in the first place.

Spice, I know........I'm just saying that results from prelingally deaf adults who didn't really get good benifits from hearing aids, has been VERY VERY mixed. Like very few are functionally hoh with CI. They do get some improvement, but not as much as people who had some hearing, or who heard normally at one time. Research has shown that even adults who heard normally when they were babies, even for a few months, tend to do better then folks who never had that abilty in the first place.

Yes, but does it really matter what the research says? If a person is happy with his or her results, who gives a crap what the research shows.

Who cares, DD? You.

I want a CI just because I want to experience it before I get buried 6'-0" under ground. Like you say, mixed results... I want to see what it is like. No harm no foul.

go easy... DD didnt want Lucia to make a mistake and she had to make sure... now that DD knows Lucia have done her homework... lets support her and give her questions she need to ask before her appt comes alright?

No I don't care in general. I think it rocks that people are opting for it even thou results are mixed in prelingal folks.

September 5th IS next Tuesday!!!! :hyper:

I can see you :run: !!

Anyways have a great Labor Day weekend!

We will be visiting with Fragmenter and family... cannot wait!

:bump:

I'm planning to print this thread out at the library tomorrow - I want to refer to the thread when I ask my doc questions on Tuesday. I don't wanna leave anything out when I speak to the doc! If y'all have some more stuff you want to say, feel free to do so.

:hyper: :run:

Hey, I wanna wish you luck with your appointment!
The question that made feel better when I asked my doc were some of these.
How long have this doctor performed this kind of surgery?
How often this this doctor do this surgery?
How long will the surgery last?
How much hair will they shaved? lol since I didn't know what to expect hearing-wise, I was more concerned for awhile about my hair lol.
How long you will have to wait to be activated?
Be sure to talk with the doctor about future ear infections, not from surgery, just general ear infecton. Some like to treat it aggressive right away.
Be sure to ask what you should stay away from before surgery, at least
2 weeks beforehand. Like aspirin and other related over the counter medicine.

If I think of more, I'll post it before tomorrow.
Good Luck!
Stacie

:bump:

I'm planning to print this thread out at the library tomorrow - I want to refer to the thread when I ask my doc questions on Tuesday. I don't wanna leave anything out when I speak to the doc! If y'all have some more stuff you want to say, feel free to do so.

:hyper: :run:

Back