Finding a right Church for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheri, Which faith do you want to go to church? Catholic, Baptist, or? What I would do is to search in the internet and put in subject...for example: deaf baptist (name of city) Ohio and there should be some information in there. That's how I found my current church. The priest signing with his back toward the congretion is very old fashioned. Most signing priest don't do that nowadays in catholic churches. The priest would sign in front instead of back.

Our church provides interpreters for all services. They're motivated and willing to be ready when deaf visitors or/and members are present in a service(s). Also, want to learn sign language very much so they'd be able to reach other deafies in any local.

Reba, you're funny! That reminds me of MIB, haha. BTW, you're terrific job for being a terp for deafies. I can see that you have a heart for deafies. :)

I have an interpreter ready at my church and she's a member of that church.

Peachy Lady said:
Cheri, Which faith do you want to go to church? Catholic, Baptist, or? What I would do is to search in the internet and put in subject...for example: deaf baptist (name of city) Ohio and there should be some information in there. That's how I found my current church. The priest signing with his back toward the congretion is very old fashioned. Most signing priest don't do that nowadays in catholic churches. The priest would sign in front instead of back.

Any Christian Church. I tried to search the Internet and made some calls through Ip Relay no luck for sign language interpreters. :(

My church has interpreters. . Oh yea. . It's all for hearing people! ;)

But other interpreters need such as low vision or SEE can be upon request. . :)

In Orlando area. . there's an professional interpreting organization willing to interpret in Orlando area for any religious events. . They're called "The Community Interpreters" and website is http://www.tciorlando.com/

There's also "The Holy Land Experience" that uses TCI & they're very good as I've been to HLE couple times seeing them. .

Remember ADA law doesnt really quite over non-profit organizations for interpreting services so that makes it almost as hard for Deafies who are interested in going to Christian colleges with hearies. . The same would apply for church who have a small number of Deafies and the interpreter services isnt exactly great. .

I even went to one Messianic Jewish synagogue with my husband who's a Messianic Jewish and another friend of ours who's also Messianci Jewish. . The interpreter had at one point just stand there and falling asleep. . She wasnt really ASL either. . Just very SEE. . But at least it was better than nothing and a way for us to be involved. .

So if anybody will ever go to Florida and consider going to "The Holy Land Experience" www.theholylandexperience.com -- I would suggest let them know 2 weeks in advance so they can make the arrangements with interpreters. . :)

I noticed that most deaf people in Cleveland area attend Catholic church, They do have an all deaf Catholic Church in Cleveland, but I rather to go to a Christian Church. :/

Cheri said:
babymakerdaddy,

Did you ask them to provide you an interpreter? Or they just offer you one? ;)

My wife is one of the 5 interpreters that our church has. She is teaching sign language to others in the church so that they can one day be interepreters for the church as well as communicate with other deaf people they meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back