Finances

My dad drives a Ford Excursion... with a HUGE gas tank.

He can never fill it up due to the $100 limit on credit card purchases at gas stations. :(

I remember a congressman complained when the gas prices rose because he had to spend more money to fill up his Hummer!!!!

I remember a congressman complained when the gas prices rose because he had to spend more money to fill up his Hummer!!!!
Well, he probably didn't make a living with his Hummer. There are many people who need large vehicles to conduct their businesses and transport their families.

Well, he probably didn't make a living with his Hummer. There are many people who need large vehicles to conduct their businesses and transport their families.

He drives the Hummer to work. This is why many congressmen/women among civilians objected to his statement by saying that he can save fuel by driving a more fuel-efficient car.

He drives the Hummer to work. This is why many congressmen/women among civilians objected to his statement by saying that he can save fuel by driving a more fuel-efficient car.
If I worked in DC, I probably wouldn't want to drive at all. The traffic there is atrocious.

If I worked in DC, I probably wouldn't want to drive at all. The traffic there is atrocious.

When I lived in DC, I didn't have a car as I preferred to either take the shuttle bus or the subway.

That must be annoying. I think TCS tries to keep his fill-ups to under $80 at a time with his work van. (He fills up more frequently, almost every working day.)

Our son-in-law has a Denali that we call "the bus," and it takes a lot of gas, too. It's not their only family car, so they get better mileage from their other vehicles.
Ouch!

One way I save money is using GasBuddy app to tell me where the cheapest gas it. It's not 100% accurate, but is close.

I also go to places where I can get discount on gas. Walmart offers 3 cents off if you use a Walmart gift card. The same goes for Kroger and Tom Thumb.

Kroger and Tom Thumb offer more off per gallon depending on how much you spend at the store. One good way to earn extra points it to buy gift cards from the store for places you plan on going to. For instance, if you're planning on going to Red Lobster or Outback for dinner... stop by Kroger and see if they have gift cards for those restaurants. They usually have them in $25 gift cards. Since you bought it at Kroger, you get points added to your Kroger card. When you have enough points within a month, you can get 10 cents up to 2 dollars off a gallon! :)

I remember a guy at RIT who had a Hummer... the Hummer, not H2 or H3. He had to spend $80. Yikes!

Ouch!

One way I save money is using GasBuddy app to tell me where the cheapest gas it. It's not 100% accurate, but is close.
Our gas stations here are pretty consistent with their pricing; we know which ones are the hight priced ones, and which ones are the lower priced ones.

I also go to places where I can get discount on gas. Walmart offers 3 cents off if you use a Walmart gift card. The same goes for Kroger and Tom Thumb.

Kroger and Tom Thumb offer more off per gallon depending on how much you spend at the store. One good way to earn extra points it to buy gift cards from the store for places you plan on going to. For instance, if you're planning on going to Red Lobster or Outback for dinner... stop by Kroger and see if they have gift cards for those restaurants. They usually have them in $25 gift cards. Since you bought it at Kroger, you get points added to your Kroger card. When you have enough points within a month, you can get 10 cents up to 2 dollars off a gallon! :)
Cool! We don't have Krogers here anymore, and I've never seen a Tom Thumb.

Our gas stations here are pretty consistent with their pricing; we know which ones are the hight priced ones, and which ones are the lower priced ones.

Cool! We don't have Krogers here anymore, and I've never seen a Tom Thumb.
Kroger and Tom Thumb go under other names depending on location.

Tom Thumb is owned by Safeway. Tom Thumb also goes by Randall's, Flagship, Simon David, and Safeway.

Kroger also goes by Dillons, Ralphs, QFC, and Fred Meyer.

Perhaps, you've seen those?

Tom Thumb is owned by Safeway. Tom Thumb also goes by Randall's, Flagship, Simon David, and Safeway.

Not in our area.

You might need an outside antenna or if you must buy basic cable. Still, you can watch a lot of stuff by just hooking your computer to your TV and paying only for internet.
What about CC?

My son doesn't have a TV in his bedroom so he watches TV shows with no commercials on his PC monitor via internet. I asked him if those shows have CC. He said no.

That's why FCC made a law effective in 2013 regarding TV shows via internet to include CC as long as those shows are captioned on TV via OTA or cable/satellite services.

BTW, please don't mind my correction - outdoor, not outside.

Last edited:
What about CC?

My son doesn't have a TV in his bedroom so he watches TV shows with no commercials on his PC monitor via internet. I asked him if those shows have CC. He said no.

That's why FCC made a law effective in 2013 regarding TV shows via internet to include CC as long as those shows are captioned on TV via OTA or cable/satellite services.

BTW, please don't mind my correction - outdoor, not outside.
Yes, CC is required... but you have to have the equipment capable of enabling the CC.

Some computers can enable CC. Some computers can't.

What is he using to watch videos on his computer?

Yes, CC is required... but you have to have the equipment capable of enabling the CC.

Some computers can enable CC. Some computers can't.

What is he using to watch videos on his computer?
I told him about what you said. He said what kind of computer doesn't matter and CC doesn't come with downloaded TV shows via internet currently. Period. However, he said there are subtitles available for most of them. You also have to download subtitles from opensubtitles.org but not all of subtitles are captioning background sound. Subtitles are made by people in the community, not companies. So it's not the same as CC which are made by companies.

I told him about what you said. He said what kind of computer doesn't matter and CC doesn't come with downloaded TV shows via internet currently. Period. However, he said there are subtitles available for most of them. You also have to download subtitles from opensubtitles.org but not all of subtitles are captioning background sound. Subtitles are made by people in the community, not companies. So it's not the same as CC which are made by companies.
Yeah. Some subtitles don't have good timing (film is compressed poorly causing film to be 1% faster or 1% slower) or they were made for different versions of movies (director's cut, extended editions, dubbed versions, etc). I remember downloading subtitles for some videos I downloaded. I noticed subtitles for one movie would get behind 1 second after 5 minutes of movie time. For another movie, the subtitles ended up being way off because I was watching a dubbed version. Dubbed movies are usually cut tremendously compared to un-dubbed foreign films.

Yeah. Some subtitles don't have good timing (film is compressed poorly causing film to be 1% faster or 1% slower) or they were made for different versions of movies (director's cut, extended editions, dubbed versions, etc). I remember downloading subtitles for some videos I downloaded. I noticed subtitles for one movie would get behind 1 second after 5 minutes of movie time. For another movie, the subtitles ended up being way off because I was watching a dubbed version. Dubbed movies are usually cut tremendously compared to un-dubbed foreign films.
XBMC has subtitles offset adjustment. I don't know about other media players. Another way is to download other subtitles that's uploaded by a different person. It sometimes works better than others.

For more info, subtitles offset - Google Search

Not in our area.

Nor in mine. We at one time had Kroger and if you go 30-35 miles or so away there is one.

XBMC has subtitles offset adjustment. I don't know about other media players. Another way is to download other subtitles that's uploaded by a different person. It sometimes works better than others.

For more info, subtitles offset - Google Search
I've used several other video players that allowed me to adjust the subtitles. :)

Anyways, back to the topic...

Gas is now $3.62 around here in Texas! Argh!

Wish I could save that 10% into my bank savings. Reality is taxes, raising costs, medical expenses is curtailing my ability to do savings.

Sometimes I do truly wonder if its just better for me to throw in the towel and get on SSDI and not worry about, medical insurance, gas, food, car, car insurance. I did the math the other day, it costs me 8.50 roundtrip a day for commute alone in gas. And biking is not an option. This area does not have safe paths for bike riders or I would be riding my bike.

Wish I could save that 10% into my bank savings. Reality is taxes, raising costs, medical expenses is curtailing my ability to do savings.

Sometimes I do truly wonder if its just better for me to throw in the towel and get on SSDI and not worry about, medical insurance, gas, food, car, car insurance. I did the math the other day, it costs me 8.50 roundtrip a day for commute alone in gas. And biking is not an option. This area does not have safe paths for bike riders or I would be riding my bike.
I know the feeling. Gas prices are still going up. It's now $3.65 a gallon where I am.

I drive around as part of my job and my employer has been putting off with increasing the per-mile pay because they're "investigating" what they can increase the pay to. :roll:

rising gas cost? time to get a motorcycle/scooter!

or a bus pass....

Back