Finances

same here. in my apt, I only had internet. just $20 a month. easy.

Wow, mine is $40 for slow DSL because Windstream is only one ISP that serve our neighborhood. :(

Get rid of cable and use an antenna for TV reception. The new stations are all in HD and the signal is better than it was so you don't need cable.

However, if you must get cable, don't pay the cable company to rent a router, modem or set top box(if you are not getting premium channels). You can buy your own and it pays for itself in about half a year, otherwise, you'll pay hundreds more to the cable company. This is the least you can do.

I saved about $800 a year by ditching cable and buying an antenna. I just pay for internet now. And, I don't rent their equipment.

Wise choice! Cable and Satellite dish companies charge customers so much to use their services. It'd be cheaper to just go over to someone else's house or use an antenna or even going to a restaurant and watch stuff on their crystal clear huge LCD (or plasma) TVs.

curious - what's your brief background?

Are you asking my background in finances or? Be specific please, Jiro.

for college students - if you have smartphone like iPhone or Android.... you must be in pain because of $$$$ monthly bills. ditch the plan (assuming that you're not locked in 2-years contract). colleges have wifi all over so all you need is emails + google voice and you're good to go. saves you at least $40-100 a month.

I have an iPhone and I am not complaining about my monthly bill because it is only $45. This is because I use a data only plan!

Actually, when people are locked in for a 2 year contract, they get the plan for a lower cost as opposed to being locked in for a 1 year contract.

Get rid of cable and use an antenna for TV reception. The new stations are all in HD and the signal is better than it was so you don't need cable.

However, if you must get cable, don't pay the cable company to rent a router, modem or set top box(if you are not getting premium channels). You can buy your own and it pays for itself in about half a year, otherwise, you'll pay hundreds more to the cable company. This is the least you can do.

I saved about $800 a year by ditching cable and buying an antenna. I just pay for internet now. And, I don't rent their equipment.

The antenna service is very terrible in our area and I hate local channels in my state, especially PBS isn't good as like one in NYC or LA.

I'm sticking with satellite TV as only option but I'm not charge to pay, though.

The antenna service is very terrible in our area and I hate local channels in my state, especially PBS isn't good as like one in NYC or LA.

I'm sticking with satellite TV as only option but I'm not charge to pay, though.

I see. Well, a lot of companies are moving towards putting the TV on the Internet. Yahoo has taken that step as they show live videos from TV feeds on the Internet. They did this recently with the show premiere of The Hunger Games.

anything.

ANYTHING?! What I'd have to mention would exceed the number of allowable words in a comment. Ha.

He is a little green dude with a lightsaber and is 900 years old. A brief background would consist of half the threads posted in AD - save the bandwidth and use the force :wave:

I see. Well, a lot of companies are moving towards putting the TV on the Internet. Yahoo has taken that step as they show live videos from TV feeds on the Internet. They did this recently with the show premiere of The Hunger Games.

Yup, it called IPTV.

Unfortunately, our DSL doesn't meet requirement to watch IPTV and we are dead end for internet upgrade, unless I move to somewhere.

Majority of rural communities have no broadband access so that why satellite TV is necessary for them.

Yup, it called IPTV.

Unfortunately, our DSL doesn't meet requirement to watch IPTV and we are dead end for internet upgrade, unless I move to somewhere.

Majority of rural communities have no broadband access so that why satellite TV is necessary for them.

Move closer to society, Foxrac! It is better to have humans as friends instead of animals. Haha.

You might need an outside antenna or if you must buy basic cable. Still, you can watch a lot of stuff by just hooking your computer to your TV and paying only for internet.

Move closer to society, Foxrac! It is better to have humans as friends instead of animals. Haha.
There's nothing wrong with rural life. One might say it's better to have contact with real life humans and animals and nature than to depend on virtual "friends."

Yeah, the economy really sucks these days.

It's difficult to adjust our spendings when the costs are constantly changing.

Gas prices keep going up.

We're buying store brand foods and keeping an eye out for super sales/discounts in weekly ads.

Gas prices, grrrrr!

They had been going down all summer, until recently. Then, just when TCS had to drive to Michigan, they zoomed up. So, his trip will probably cost a couple hundred more dollars than we planned on. :(

Of course, it really cuts into his business profits, too.

So, back to square one. Bleh!

Gas prices, grrrrr!

They had been going down all summer, until recently. Then, just when TCS had to drive to Michigan, they zoomed up. So, his trip will probably cost a couple hundred more dollars than we planned on. :(

yep.....

I'm slightly concerned about my upcoming trip to Rochester and Toronto. If Plan A falters out (carpooling together with my friend's car since it's a gas sipper), then Plan B is taking my truck which is not what I'm thrilled about to because of gas cost. My truck gas expense is estimated to be about $300 for roundtrip. Plan C is taking my brother's car and gas cost is around $150-200 roundtrip but I don't really want to take it because I don't think it can handle a long trip. Plan D is my friends getting bus ticket ($49) to Rochester and I meet up with them there by motorcycle since roundtrip on bike is estimated at around $40.

yep.....

I'm slightly concerned about my upcoming trip to Rochester and Toronto. If Plan A falters out (carpooling together with my friend's car since it's a gas sipper), then Plan B is taking my truck which is not what I'm thrilled about to because of gas cost. My truck gas expense is estimated to be about $300 for roundtrip. Plan C is taking my brother's car and gas cost is around $150-200 roundtrip but I don't really want to take it because I don't think it can handle a long trip. Plan D is my friends getting bus ticket ($49) to Rochester and I meet up with them there by motorcycle since roundtrip on bike is estimated at around $40.
TCS had to take his Jeep because:
1. His bike is still in the shop getting a new transmission.
2. It's a two-day trip, one way, and lots of rain.
3. He carries his camping gear in addition to his personal stuff because he camps along the way. If camping doesn't work out, he can sleep in the Jeep.

As you know, Jeeps have bad gas mileage numbers. :cool2:

Gas prices, grrrrr!

My dad drives a Ford Excursion... with a HUGE gas tank.

He can never fill it up due to the $100 limit on credit card purchases at gas stations. :(

My dad drives a Ford Excursion... with a HUGE gas tank.

He can never fill it up due to the $100 limit on credit card purchases at gas stations. :(
That must be annoying. I think TCS tries to keep his fill-ups to under $80 at a time with his work van. (He fills up more frequently, almost every working day.)

Our son-in-law has a Denali that we call "the bus," and it takes a lot of gas, too. It's not their only family car, so they get better mileage from their other vehicles.

Back