Fertilizer Plant explodes in West, Texas -- 60-70 dead

Czech immigrants during 1880s came for new world and share Europe culture in Texas.

really i have no idea!! I need to check with my mom about it since my moms side that has already lost lots of relatives who moves to USA or Canada. Thanks.

My reaction is: HOLY SH*T!

sitting with his child as if it entertainment that near one most foolish things i seen..poor kid..
heart go out to people involved,hope questions are asked as to why something like this built in residential area

That crazy! my dad also born there he born in Waco,Texas im been went Texas numerous times as grewup to adult I love Texas for visit

sitting with his child as if it entertainment that near one most foolish things i seen..poor kid..
heart go out to people involved,hope questions are asked as to why something like this built in residential area

Or why a residential area was built close to it. I don't know which was built first.

really czechoslovkian lives there??

PowerON is correct. It is a very proud Czechoslovakian community. Even though the country is no longer there, they hold their heritage close to heart. They would have a problem with you calling them Slovakian.

Their kolaches are out of this world. I am blessed to have two outstanding Kolaches places in Texas, the first being the Little Czech Bakery off 35 going to Ft Worth and the other being Hruska's on 71 going to Houston. Here's how close the explosion was from the Little Czech Bakery.

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-17%20at%209.29.35%20PM.png

Oh wow, what's crazy explosion ever and they said that plant hadn't inspected for 5 years.

Yes thats right.

I used to say that i am czechoslovkian. Now they broke up in 1990. then I am slovakian. I m not czech. :lol:

same thinG!

I'm Slovakian, too. My grandparents were from Litmanova has been part of the Slovak Republic.

Being that he had a camera and not a gun he will probably not be charged with child endangerment. he should have been driving as fast as possible away from that location...

really i have no idea!! I need to check with my mom about it since my moms side that has already lost lots of relatives who moves to USA or Canada. Thanks.
I used to work with an older fella from Sugarland, Texas. He came from a large Czech family near there and said it was all Czechs where he lived some going way back.

We used to have a big fertilizer plant south of here- it is finally closed down although there is still political will to start it again. That thing used enough natural gas to power a large city every day and down wind of it was a wasteland. Same stuff probably ammonium nitrate. It was a large bulk moneymaker for the owners as long as the gas was cheap enough. So there was a lot of politics keeping the gas cheap for them while we paid through the nose for it.
For all of that it was not a comparably large employer. 60 people earning family wage jobs and a whole way bunch more behind the scenes working with money that went to an international corporation and an oil company.
I used to be an explosives handler among my many jobs. The fertilizer is not dangerous on is its own and is flammable rather than explosive. I am not a believer in putting how to make a bomb stuff on the internet discussing this stuff so bye bye.

Just got in from West. Made it there just in time for the 2nd was of evacs. It was absolutely the best organization I have ever seen at a tragedy like this. The emergency personnel were outstanding. The volunteer groups were actually having to turn away donations today because they were out of space with is amazing considering they were using the Waco rodeo arena complex (Heart of Texas). There were over 700 people waiting in line to give blood Thursday morning.

A few corrections. The picture in the OP is not from this blast. That is actually from the Big Spring blast in 2006 I believe. Also the last safety inspection was in 2011, this was stated at this evenings press briefing. The plant also filed a safety report as required in 2012.

I would just like to say, even though those of us in Boston have been pretty preoccupied the past week, we have been following Texas as well. It's really too bad what happened and it is a long road back for those people.

We're with you Texas...

Back