Feelings on how a Deaf child should be taught

LOML, Cheri, and Shel...to answer your question: I was referring to Deborah's comment about Deaf families should expose their children to spoken English...;). That was the inspiration of the "norm" comment I made. You're right...it is pretty hard to isolate a hearing child from spoken language as it is all around the child (we hope anyways)...but I was more so emphasizing the viewpoint. So many comments are made innocently and with good intentions but in reality those comments implies that English is superior to ASL, which is in my view - unfair and untrue. That was the point I was trying to get across. Hope this makes more sense.

Also wanted to clarify that it was NEVER my intention to say one is better than the other--although, there HAVE been people who have implied that ASL is better than English for ALL deaf and hard of hearing people--the reverse of what you are saying was implied. Here's the thing--for MANY "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people, with hearing aids and CIs, the statement made about "hearing people" CAN be true for them, too--it IS hard to isolate a child who HEARS with hearing aids or CI from spoken language if they are surrounded by the hearing/speaking world around them. The impression I have received from some has been that ALL children with hearing loss are "blocked" from that access--that is not true for all. I just know that, with my daughter, and with other people we have met, there are a LOT of people who feel like they belong in the category of "deaf" or "hard of hearing" even though they CAN hear quite well with hearing aids or CIs. Yes, some, maybe many, "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people do NOT have access to sound--but to assume that ALL do not is assuming too much. MANY children who have hearing aids early in life--and those who have CIs early in life--ARE exposed to spoken language if they are in a spoken language environment--MANY develop spoken language through listening, just as hearing kids do. It just feels that people who do NOT have that access assume that ALL "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people don't either. When people tell hearing families that they are wrong for hoping their child with hearing loss will speak, they often are doing exactly what you were saying--some Deaf people are implying to hearing families that ASL is superior to spoken English. Some Deaf people are implying that hearing families should ALL learn ASL if someone in their family is diagnosed with a hearing loss. Some Deaf people treat "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people as "inferior" if they prefer to "use their voice"--that is definitely implying that ASL is superior to English. I am just saying that, when EITHER side seems to think that THEY are right and the OTHER is wrong, it comes across as biased. I simply took some of the statements that some have made and reversed it--Deaf people who judge hearing families for not exposing their deaf child to ASL--and applied it the opposite direction--hearing people who judge Deaf families for not exposing their hearing children to spoken English. Also, the statements about hearing kids getting exposed no matter what and not being able to avoid it--well, many "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people ALSO get the same exposure if their hearing aids or CIs are REALLY working for them. Not everyone gets that access, but MANY do. ASL is good--English is good--other languages are good--none are superior or inferior. Some who think the hearing world is claiming English is better maybe should look and see if they had implied that ASL is better--neither is better--they are both equally valuable. Hearing families that use English(with a deaf child) have been told that ASL is better--Deaf families that use ASL(with a hearing child) have been told that English is better--neither statement is true. Once again, communication is the superior goal--first, communication with the parents and family, then communication with the larger world outside the family. Whichever language or languages are used to do this isn't the factor--as long as people are communicating and not limited in their daily interaction with the world around them, then communication is happening. No one language is superior or inferior over another--once again, that goes BOTH ways.

Upon having a hearing child, my Deaf parents were worried. Like all parents, they'd wanted to make sure that their child had all the needed resources for a good life.

So, they sent the hearing child to live with hearing relatives. All signs, many years later, point toward a satisfactory result: he speaks well and passes as hearing amongst his own peers.

I find Deaf parents more concerned about fitting the language needs of hearing children - more than Hearing parents are about their Deaf children. Obviously, "majority" perception is much different from "minority" perception.

"The impression I have received from some has been that ALL children with hearing loss are "blocked" from that access--that is not true for all. I just know that, with my daughter, and with other people we have met, there are a LOT of people who feel like they belong in the category of "deaf" or "hard of hearing" even though they CAN hear quite well with hearing aids or CIs. Yes, some, maybe many, "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people do NOT have access to sound--but to assume that ALL do not is assuming too much. MANY children who have hearing aids early in life--and those who have CIs early in life--ARE exposed to spoken language if they are in a spoken language environment--MANY develop spoken language through listening, just as hearing kids do. It just feels that people who do NOT have that access assume that ALL "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people don't either. "

If those children had good access to sound and speech, then they would be able to develop speech without therapy and intervention.

"The impression I have received from some has been that ALL children with hearing loss are "blocked" from that access--that is not true for all. I just know that, with my daughter, and with other people we have met, there are a LOT of people who feel like they belong in the category of "deaf" or "hard of hearing" even though they CAN hear quite well with hearing aids or CIs. Yes, some, maybe many, "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people do NOT have access to sound--but to assume that ALL do not is assuming too much. MANY children who have hearing aids early in life--and those who have CIs early in life--ARE exposed to spoken language if they are in a spoken language environment--MANY develop spoken language through listening, just as hearing kids do. It just feels that people who do NOT have that access assume that ALL "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people don't either. "

If those children had good access to sound and speech, then they would be able to develop speech without therapy and intervention.

Maybe the key here is the perception about WHAT is done once they DO hear with hearing aids or CIs. I also have a hearing son--if I had not talked a lot to him, played a lot with him, read to him, and "bathed" him in the English language, he would not have developed such great English either. I pretty much did the SAME things with my hearing son and hard of hearing daughter--I had LOTS and LOTS of interaction with BOTH of them. Since I was a preschool and elementary teacher before having children, I had the BEST time with them in those early years! Picture the "average" hearing child--how do they develop their language skills? If they just sit around, watch some tv, and not realy have a lot of age-appropriate interaction, they won't develop excellent langage skills either. Kids who go to the zoo and talk about the animals, make fun things in the kitchen and talk about what they are doing every step of the way, play creatively with toys and participate in role playing, etc.--kids who have LOTS of FUN FUN FUN interaction when they are young develop MUCH richer vocabularies and fluent language than kids who have little to no interaction on a daily basis. There are kids in tough situations who do not have this daily interaction--inevitably their langauge development and other skills suffer. My point--language enrichment builds a strong language base and can be done in many many ways that are lots of fun for children. Hearing kids, deaf kids, kids with other disabilities--they ALL need a language rich environment in order to develop a broad and fluent language base. All in all, I did MANY of the same things with both my hearing son and hard of hearing daughter--I just enjoyed being their Mommy, took them lots of fun places, did lots of fun things with them, read lots and lots of books to them, and talked to them nearly every minute of the day. If others have not had that kind of language rich environment in their early years, they were cheated out of a very important part of early childhood. It is a critical base to build later skills--those who were "language deprived" in the early years--and that can apply to hearing/deaf/all kids--will probably enter their school years behind peers who DID have that rich language base--and they may never catch up. And yes, that rich language base can apply to English, ASL, French, Spanish, Chinese, etc.--all languages of the world. Children who have a great language base and can communicate well with others have a big advantage over kids whose language is lacking, no matter what language they use. So "therapy and intervention" is really just providing that rich language base--ALL kids need that, hearing and deaf alike. All I know is that both my son and daughter had FUN learning language, and I had a WONDERFUL time sharing it with them! :)

I hope to high heaven that is not how the average child learns their language!
Research shows that (hearing) children learn most of their language by overhearing it being used. HOH or oral deaf children do not have this opportunity. They learn language that is taught to them. That is why they often have the problem of "swiss cheese language", which means that there are gasps in education, especially with figures of speech or idioms. Also, that is why so many deaf kids in the mainstream work with a teacher of the deaf. They "preteach" the vocabulary and concepts that will be taught in the classroom before the teacher does because the child can not just pick them up in the mainstream setting, not because of intellegence, but because of their hearing loss.
I suppose that if a deaf child has 100% access to spoken language (which they don't by the nature of a hearing loss) and they learn language without therapy and intervention, and are given deaf peers and role models everyday, then I have no problem with them being "oral only". But those are impossible "if's" in my head.

Where is the negative in a language-rich environment?!

I hope to high heaven that is not how the average child learns their language! Research shows that (hearing) children learn most of their language by overhearing it being used.

Umm...yes, they DO learn by listening and hearing--umm...what do you think is so negative about having fun with children, playing with children, reading to children, and talking to children? Have you ever met any hearing kids who are living in a bad home environment or are in some other kind of "disadvantaged" situation? I have met kids in programs such as Head Start--the purpose of programs like that is to try to help kids who are "at risk" to catch up and be ready for school. Sadly, there are kids who do NOT have home lives like I described above--they are not getting "bathed" in a language rich environment. There are a lot of hearing kids who are not exposed to this--and many are exposed to many negative things instead of that wonderfully positive language rich environment that I described. When you say, "You hope to high heaven that (what I described) is not how hearing kids learn language"...umm...please indicate the NEGATIVE things about loving, caring, interacting, playing with, talking to, reading with, etc. children to give them lots and lots of language exposure. Many hearing kids are NOT getting this interaction--many hearing kids are learning "to talk" by listening to the language that they are exposed to, but being able "to talk" is a far cry from having a broad and diverse language base. There are kids who are in "language deprived" environments--yes, they "pick up" things, but not enough and not a lot of positive things--and often more negative things instead. You know, all I am saying is that kids need LOTS of love and attention--and all of the fun things I did with my kids to teach them about the world were all positive experiences that helped them learn language through interacting with the world. Hopefully, you did the same things with your child/children--if ASL is your language then that is great!--hopefully you "bathed" your child/children in ASL by doing many fun things with them! To tell a hearing mother that it is in some way negative to have such fun and loving interaction with her children--to infer that the best way to teach a hearing child to learn the language is to basically leave them alone and not do fun things with them to teach them about the world--to infer that all they need to do is sit around and listen/overhear the language around them to develop a rich language base--umm...yes, they will pick up SOME language that way, but I have met many kids who, sadly, picked up NEGATIVE language and also were missing A LOT about life because they did not get out and interact with the world through a loving parent or caregiver. For a moment, we can set aside the issue of which language kids should learn--but for you to somehow infer that wonderful, positive, interaction between a mother and her children is somehow negative...that just seems strange. Sorry, but I am trying to express positive thoughts about how much I love my children and how much fun I had with them as I exposed them to the world through language--it was FUN for both my children and I to do many fun things when they were young, and in doing so, they both built a very fluent and broad English language base on which to build further skills. Both of my children had a rich language based environment that served them well as they grew. They quickly built on that base and expanded it to reading and writing, then later in learning about the world through listening to and reading the English language. This positive language base can be applied to ANY language--if ASL is your language, then surely you did the same thing with YOUR language. I am trying to understand why, every time I write something positive, you seem to always counter with something negative. Disagreeng about methods of deaf education is one thing, but to somehow imply that positive interaction with my children is a negative thing? That just seems like, no matter what positive things someone might say, you will find a way to say something negative in response. We BOTH love our kids and want to build a happy and positive environment for them, right? I have a feeling that, no matter how many times I would smile at you and wish you a happy day, that you might always continue to respond with a frown and a complaint. ALL of the fun and positive things I said I did with my children to build a broad language base--to me, that is what ALL kids deserve..why the negative reponse about that? Surely you did the same thing with ASL as I did with English? I will continue to smile and project positive energy your way--maybe one day you will smile back and we can agree to disagree while still remaining positive when it comes to our children. We both love our kids--we both want to give them the best--please don't insinuate that the wonderfully positive attention that I gave both of my children is negative in some way. I just meant that we had lots of fun times and they learned language through those fun times--without those fun times(lots of interaction and lots of language), even hearing kids can be "language deprived"--it's all good, you know! And, once again, whatever language is used is a GOOD thing--English, ASL, Spanish, Chinese, French, Russian, Italian, etc.---ALL languages are good and all children need this language rich environment--without it, they are at a disadvantage. With it, they can build other skills. Even though my kids are growing up rapidly and are almost grown, I have thoroughly enjoyed being their mother--and teaching them about the world through language is a big part of mothering. This mother enjoyed every minute of mothering..and I'm still smiling! :)

AHH...now I see what you were saying!

I meant by sitting at home watching TV!

Sorry for the miscommunication!

Ahh--you meant that you hope kids aren't learning English simply by watching tv, right? Oh...ummm...sorry! I totlally agree with that--hopefully kids aren't learning language only from tv!! BIG SMILE! It felt like you were saying the things I did to help my kids learn language was negative--now I get it. BLUSH! You know how us "mama hens" can be! I am sure that you are a wonderful mother and I feel that I am a wonderful mother, too--I was just trying to explain what I meant. You know, written words can DEFINITELY be misinterpreted easily, can't they? OK-so I am smiling and hopefully you are, too! :) Have a great day! :)

Research shows that (hearing) children learn most of their language by overhearing it being used. HOH or oral deaf children do not have this opportunity. They learn language that is taught to them. That is why they often have the problem of "swiss cheese language", which means that there are gasps in education, especially with figures of speech or idioms. Also, that is why so many deaf kids in the mainstream work with a teacher of the deaf. They "preteach" the vocabulary and concepts that will be taught in the classroom before the teacher does because the child can not just pick them up in the mainstream setting, not because of intellegence, but because of their hearing loss.
I suppose that if a deaf child has 100% access to spoken language (which they don't by the nature of a hearing loss) and they learn language without therapy and intervention, and are given deaf peers and role models everyday, then I have no problem with them being "oral only". But those are impossible "if's" in my head.

First, I want to say that my daughter DOES hear wonderfully with her hearing aids--so much so that she is NOT a candidate for a CI (too much hearing). She DID learn English by listening to it--and I sure did have fun interacting with her as she learned! :) I realize that not all kids with a hearing loss have that access--if hearing aids don't work and if they do not get a CI, then yes, we get it--they cannot learn auditorily. But please try also understand that many DO gain access--and WONDERFUL access at that--to speech and hearing through either hearing aids that give them EXCELLENT hearing or through CIs that also give them EXCELLENT hearing. Once again, not ALL deaf children gain that access--just as not ALL deaf children are blocked from that access. I have met many children whose loss is not profound and DO gain EXCELLENT access to oral language through listening and speaking(with hearing aids). I also have met many children with CIs who gain EXCELLENT access to oral language through listening and speaking.

Let's not paint a broad brush and assume that a large majority of deaf kids don't have that access--from what I have seen, MANY deaf kids today DO get that access because of modern technology (digital hearing aids or CIs). For the kids that do not, then yes, it IS asking them to do something they cannot do--if a child does NOT have access to spoken language through hearing it with hearing aids of CIs, then it DOES seem cruel to try to get them to speak when they cannot hear. I get that, too!! Apparently, many Deaf adults who were children before today's technology are coming from that perspective--hearing aids from THEIR childhood didn't work and there was no such thing as a CI--they grew up NOT having access to sound--if they were "forced" (and it sounds like some Deaf adults were cruelly treated during this process) to try to learn to speak even though they couldn't hear, then yes, that is BAD!! I get it!! But these Deaf adults need to realize something--first of all, not all kids today who are labeled "deaf" or "hard of hearing" are profoundly deaf--many have quite a bit of hearing even without hearing aids--second, MANY kids who are labeled as "deaf" or "hard of hearing" wear powerful hearing aids that bring their loss up to mild (and some seem to hear better than "hearing people" when they wear their hearing aids!)--third, MANY kids are getting CIs at young ages--whether or not a person thinks this is right or wrong, it is still happening--there are a LOT of kids who hear AMAZINGLY well with CIs(Deaf adults who cannot hear anything would probably be amazed at what these kids CAN hear!)--and last, many "deaf" and "hard of hearing" kids are learning spoken English in FUN ways with lots and lots of fun, positive interaction that hopefully parents would be giving to them anyway(with OR without a hearing loss!).

I haven't seen a lot of evidence of the cold, cruel, unsympathetic, uncaring therapy that some Deaf people described from their childhood--I am sure that it DOES exist, just as ALL abuse DOES exist, but every "orally educated" kid that I have met has had a FUN and ENJOYABLE language foundation. Parents usually ENJOY taking their kids to the zoo and talking all about the animals, playing creatively with toys and talking to their children while playing, making crafts with their kids or cooking in the kitchen while talking to their kids, etc.--and the kids usually seem to LOVE it when their parents and other adults are playing with them on their level and interacting with them in loving ways. If that "cruel and heartless therapy" still exists somewhere, then bless the hearts of those kids and bless the hearts of the adults who suffered through that--I just know that today's "play therapy" just seems to be all about having fun with kids and talking while you are doing fun things with them--simple, fun, no pressure, no cruelty at all--nothing but love and happiness! :)

So, there are different perspectives--we should try to see things from "the other person's shoes." If someone grew up NOT hearing, if someone did not have access to sound, if someone was treated cruelly and told that they have to do something a certain way no matter what--their perspective is unique. Those who have not been where they have been need to try to understand where they are coming from. AND, those who came from that background also should try to see things from a different perspective--not everyone has the same background or circumstances. For Deaf adults who never were able to hear as kids, they should try to understand that this is not always the case for today's kids. Once again, the CI debate is one issue, but what about the other issues--there are a LOT of kids with hearing loss that DO hear WONDERFULLY with today's digital hearing aids--a lot of people with hearing loss of mild to moderate to severe degrees may consider themselves "deaf" or "hard of hearing" but hear VERY well with modern technology. Just because a person who is profoundly deaf never was able to hear does not mean that a person with moderate to severe loss cannot hear--maybe the other person CAN hear VERY well with hearing aids. One person cannot speak for another--one person cannot assume that, since they are Deaf and cannot hear, that ALL "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people cannot hear-some do, some don't. That also can apply to speech--just because one Deaf person does not use speech, they shouldn't assume that another person cannot. Too many broad statements are being made--too many people saying ALL deaf and hard of hearing this or that...once again, each person is completely different and should be looked at as a unique individual--while one person may not hear anything and does not want to use speech, another person may hear great with hearing aids or CIs and may enjoy using speech. Too many people have been saying things that overgeneralize...try to see things from another person's perspective--and the same courtesy should be returned, too.

My daughter loves hearing with her hearing aids and she loves speaking in fluent English--she also would like to become fluent in ASL. She is trying to see things from BOTH perspectives. She learned English from listening to it and being immersed in it. I hope that she will learn ASL (or maybe SEE?) by observing it and being exposed to it often.

How did she learn English? From the moment she was born, I talked to her and interacted with her. We developed a "mother-daughter" language from the beginning--as an infant, she cried and cooed, smiled and frowned, etc. in response to my interactions with her. As she grew, we used words and gestures--she was beginning to say things like "hey" and "bye bye" (with wave included) as she reached her first birthday. It was around this time that we began to worry--she didn't have as many first words as her brother had by his first birthday, but she had been a premie so perhaps there was a slight delay due to that(we thought). She also had not taken her first steps by then--also a "premie delay" so we were told. Once her hearing loss was diagnosed, she was immediately fitted with hearing aids and we began researching options. We started with a TC program--focused on signs and words equally. Her first words and first signs began almost right away. We just played together, read books, and talked talked talked to her--and we presented some simple signs, too (eat, drink, sleep, etc.). Soon, she had about 30 signs and 30 words. Then, she began having more words than signs--soon she was talking and not using signs. As we looked ahead to her school years, we wanted her to have a good preschool experience to help her get ready for school. She spent two years in an oral preschool--I have to say that the preschool program was one of the BEST preschools that I have ever seen!! I was wishing that my hearing son had been able to go to such a wonderful preschool!! It was great! At home, I was "bathing her in language" and at preschool they were doing the same thing--lots of fun activities that all preschool children enjoy. Her language developed naturally through normal activities--we did many fun things to enrich her learning. When she started school, she was ready and on par with her same age peers. She tackled phonics and basic skills in kindergarten--she learned the pre-reading and pre-math skills required. In first grade, she learned to read and to do simple math. As she grew, she learned more and more skills. She reads and writes well and does fine with grade level work. Her biggest struggle is math--it isn't her strong suit, but it isn't mine, either! She likes to use closed captioning on tv--she often asks me what a certain word means or asks me what someone meant when they said this or that--she is still learning--I hope she remains a lifelong learner and continues to build her skills. She is most definitely fluent in spoken and written English--it is her first language.

How will she learn ASL? So far, she has learned some from books and videos, some from watching an interpreter at school (for one school year so far), and she even remembers some from her toddler days. If she can go to FSDB, I think that she will learn mostly by watching others, but I hope that she can take some ASL classes, too. However, I do wonder if she will actually be able to learn ASL, or will she learn SEE? Since English is her first language, would it be easier for her to learn SEE? Basically, she says that she wants to learn "sign language"--for those who learned later in life, were you able to develop fluent ASL, or did you learn something that is more aligned with English, such as SEE? I hope she can accomplish her goal--it isn't always as easy as you would think! AND--I would like to learn with her, too--we'll see if we can do that, but she may be boarding at FSDB so I would have to learn on my own. Maybe she can teach me some things on the weekends that she learned each week, and by the end of each year, maybe we will have a larger and larger sign language vocabulary. We are both ready, willing, and able to learn--hopefully we can succeed! :)

Use ASL and it is a failure solely cuz of ASL? I brought 2 of my students from 2nd grade reading level to 4th grade reading level by the BiBi approach. So if ASL was to blame, then why were they able to be so successful with literacy if I used ASL? It probably was due to other factors why that TC program wasnt working. Research has showed a majority of TC programs have failed which is why many programs are starting to drop TC programs. It is more appropriate for an one-on-one basis but not for a classroom setting. No offense or anything.

Chances are the program being discussed is a failure not because of the use of ASL signs, but because the ASL signs are being used in English word order....more of a PSE. That means the kids are getting a disotrted model of both English and ASL. Of course they dopn't excel in either language. They haven't been provided a proper language model.

Chances are the program being discussed is a failure not because of the use of ASL signs, but because the ASL signs are being used in English word order....more of a PSE. That means the kids are getting a disotrted model of both English and ASL. Of course they dopn't excel in either language. They haven't been provided a proper language model.

Yeah, what she said!

Another great post!

First, I want to say that my daughter DOES hear wonderfully with her hearing aids--so much so that she is NOT a candidate for a CI (too much hearing). She DID learn English by listening to it--and I sure did have fun interacting with her as she learned! :) I realize that not all kids with a hearing loss have that access--if hearing aids don't work and if they do not get a CI, then yes, we get it--they cannot learn auditorily. But please try also understand that many DO gain access--and WONDERFUL access at that--to speech and hearing through either hearing aids that give them EXCELLENT hearing or through CIs that also give them EXCELLENT hearing. Once again, not ALL deaf children gain that access--just as not ALL deaf children are blocked from that access. I have met many children whose loss is not profound and DO gain EXCELLENT access to oral language through listening and speaking(with hearing aids). I also have met many children with CIs who gain EXCELLENT access to oral language through listening and speaking.

Let's not paint a broad brush and assume that a large majority of deaf kids don't have that access--from what I have seen, MANY deaf kids today DO get that access because of modern technology (digital hearing aids or CIs). For the kids that do not, then yes, it IS asking them to do something they cannot do--if a child does NOT have access to spoken language through hearing it with hearing aids of CIs, then it DOES seem cruel to try to get them to speak when they cannot hear. I get that, too!! Apparently, many Deaf adults who were children before today's technology are coming from that perspective--hearing aids from THEIR childhood didn't work and there was no such thing as a CI--they grew up NOT having access to sound--if they were "forced" (and it sounds like some Deaf adults were cruelly treated during this process) to try to learn to speak even though they couldn't hear, then yes, that is BAD!! I get it!! But these Deaf adults need to realize something--first of all, not all kids today who are labeled "deaf" or "hard of hearing" are profoundly deaf--many have quite a bit of hearing even without hearing aids--second, MANY kids who are labeled as "deaf" or "hard of hearing" wear powerful hearing aids that bring their loss up to mild (and some seem to hear better than "hearing people" when they wear their hearing aids!)--third, MANY kids are getting CIs at young ages--whether or not a person thinks this is right or wrong, it is still happening--there are a LOT of kids who hear AMAZINGLY well with CIs(Deaf adults who cannot hear anything would probably be amazed at what these kids CAN hear!)--and last, many "deaf" and "hard of hearing" kids are learning spoken English in FUN ways with lots and lots of fun, positive interaction that hopefully parents would be giving to them anyway(with OR without a hearing loss!).

I haven't seen a lot of evidence of the cold, cruel, unsympathetic, uncaring therapy that some Deaf people described from their childhood--I am sure that it DOES exist, just as ALL abuse DOES exist, but every "orally educated" kid that I have met has had a FUN and ENJOYABLE language foundation. Parents usually ENJOY taking their kids to the zoo and talking all about the animals, playing creatively with toys and talking to their children while playing, making crafts with their kids or cooking in the kitchen while talking to their kids, etc.--and the kids usually seem to LOVE it when their parents and other adults are playing with them on their level and interacting with them in loving ways. If that "cruel and heartless therapy" still exists somewhere, then bless the hearts of those kids and bless the hearts of the adults who suffered through that--I just know that today's "play therapy" just seems to be all about having fun with kids and talking while you are doing fun things with them--simple, fun, no pressure, no cruelty at all--nothing but love and happiness! :)

So, there are different perspectives--we should try to see things from "the other person's shoes." If someone grew up NOT hearing, if someone did not have access to sound, if someone was treated cruelly and told that they have to do something a certain way no matter what--their perspective is unique. Those who have not been where they have been need to try to understand where they are coming from. AND, those who came from that background also should try to see things from a different perspective--not everyone has the same background or circumstances. For Deaf adults who never were able to hear as kids, they should try to understand that this is not always the case for today's kids. Once again, the CI debate is one issue, but what about the other issues--there are a LOT of kids with hearing loss that DO hear WONDERFULLY with today's digital hearing aids--a lot of people with hearing loss of mild to moderate to severe degrees may consider themselves "deaf" or "hard of hearing" but hear VERY well with modern technology. Just because a person who is profoundly deaf never was able to hear does not mean that a person with moderate to severe loss cannot hear--maybe the other person CAN hear VERY well with hearing aids. One person cannot speak for another--one person cannot assume that, since they are Deaf and cannot hear, that ALL "deaf" and "hard of hearing" people cannot hear-some do, some don't. That also can apply to speech--just because one Deaf person does not use speech, they shouldn't assume that another person cannot. Too many broad statements are being made--too many people saying ALL deaf and hard of hearing this or that...once again, each person is completely different and should be looked at as a unique individual--while one person may not hear anything and does not want to use speech, another person may hear great with hearing aids or CIs and may enjoy using speech. Too many people have been saying things that overgeneralize...try to see things from another person's perspective--and the same courtesy should be returned, too.

My daughter loves hearing with her hearing aids and she loves speaking in fluent English--she also would like to become fluent in ASL. She is trying to see things from BOTH perspectives. She learned English from listening to it and being immersed in it. I hope that she will learn ASL (or maybe SEE?) by observing it and being exposed to it often.

How did she learn English? From the moment she was born, I talked to her and interacted with her. We developed a "mother-daughter" language from the beginning--as an infant, she cried and cooed, smiled and frowned, etc. in response to my interactions with her. As she grew, we used words and gestures--she was beginning to say things like "hey" and "bye bye" (with wave included) as she reached her first birthday. It was around this time that we began to worry--she didn't have as many first words as her brother had by his first birthday, but she had been a premie so perhaps there was a slight delay due to that(we thought). She also had not taken her first steps by then--also a "premie delay" so we were told. Once her hearing loss was diagnosed, she was immediately fitted with hearing aids and we began researching options. We started with a TC program--focused on signs and words equally. Her first words and first signs began almost right away. We just played together, read books, and talked talked talked to her--and we presented some simple signs, too (eat, drink, sleep, etc.). Soon, she had about 30 signs and 30 words. Then, she began having more words than signs--soon she was talking and not using signs. As we looked ahead to her school years, we wanted her to have a good preschool experience to help her get ready for school. She spent two years in an oral preschool--I have to say that the preschool program was one of the BEST preschools that I have ever seen!! I was wishing that my hearing son had been able to go to such a wonderful preschool!! It was great! At home, I was "bathing her in language" and at preschool they were doing the same thing--lots of fun activities that all preschool children enjoy. Her language developed naturally through normal activities--we did many fun things to enrich her learning. When she started school, she was ready and on par with her same age peers. She tackled phonics and basic skills in kindergarten--she learned the pre-reading and pre-math skills required. In first grade, she learned to read and to do simple math. As she grew, she learned more and more skills. She reads and writes well and does fine with grade level work. Her biggest struggle is math--it isn't her strong suit, but it isn't mine, either! She likes to use closed captioning on tv--she often asks me what a certain word means or asks me what someone meant when they said this or that--she is still learning--I hope she remains a lifelong learner and continues to build her skills. She is most definitely fluent in spoken and written English--it is her first language.

How will she learn ASL? So far, she has learned some from books and videos, some from watching an interpreter at school (for one school year so far), and she even remembers some from her toddler days. If she can go to FSDB, I think that she will learn mostly by watching others, but I hope that she can take some ASL classes, too. However, I do wonder if she will actually be able to learn ASL, or will she learn SEE? Since English is her first language, would it be easier for her to learn SEE? Basically, she says that she wants to learn "sign language"--for those who learned later in life, were you able to develop fluent ASL, or did you learn something that is more aligned with English, such as SEE? I hope she can accomplish her goal--it isn't always as easy as you would think! AND--I would like to learn with her, too--we'll see if we can do that, but she may be boarding at FSDB so I would have to learn on my own. Maybe she can teach me some things on the weekends that she learned each week, and by the end of each year, maybe we will have a larger and larger sign language vocabulary. We are both ready, willing, and able to learn--hopefully we can succeed! :)

Deborah,

I only chose this one because it was your last, but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy all your posts. The relationship you have with your daughter comes through loud and clear and there is no doubt that she is lucky to have you as her MOM.
Rick

Yeah, what she said!

Yea, I am so sick and tired of people blaming ASL for low literacy rates and so forth. If ASL was the culprit, then none of my students would be reading on grade level. duh!! LOL!

Upon having a hearing child, my Deaf parents were worried. Like all parents, they'd wanted to make sure that their child had all the needed resources for a good life.

So, they sent the hearing child to live with hearing relatives. All signs, many years later, point toward a satisfactory result: he speaks well and passes as hearing amongst his own peers.

I find Deaf parents more concerned about fitting the language needs of hearing children - more than Hearing parents are about their Deaf children. Obviously, "majority" perception is much different from "minority" perception.

Excellent point.

BINGO! Even children with mild losses miss auditory cues that they could easily be getting visually.

Exactly! Language acquisition is a passive, periphreal learning experience. And only through acquisition does one acquire native skills in any language. Language learning is a directed, active learning experience, and does not produce the nativity in usage that acquisition does.

Maybe I am mising something but you previously stated that you are hearing and that your child was born hearing but that she just picked up ASL from exposure to it. How was she exposed to it? In what kind of setting(s)? How did you and your husband learn ASL after she became deaf? At what age did she become deaf? Are you saying that she has never had any formalized training and/or therapy in ASL?

It is my understanding that deaf children of hearing parents who do not know sign are usually placed into some kind of formal or structured program and/or therapy so that they can be taught ASL from fluent signers which their parents are not. Thus, they usually are engaged in similar number of hours of language therapy as kids in an oral program.
Rick

Actually, that is an incorrect assumption. Exposure to ASL in a natural environment will allow a deaf child to acquire the language. It is not necessary to conduct formalized learning sessions. And, play therapy is, by definition, a formalized learning session.

Actually, that is an incorrect assumption. Exposure to ASL in a natural environment will allow a deaf child to acquire the language. It is not necessary to conduct formalized learning sessions. And, play therapy is, by definition, a formalized learning session.

People who arent fluent in ASL shouldnt make assumptions nor form opinions about ASL. When they do, incorrect assumptions are too often made.

So was my daughter and yes, children were taught to speak long before HAs and CIs and ask anyone of them who has a CI and they will tell you, as they told us, how much easier their lives would have been growing up if the CI had been available to them when they were children.
Still waiting for you to enlighten us as to those many options that allow for profoundly deaf children who do not benefit from HAs to acquire acess to sound and speech more easily and with more success than a cochlear implant.
Rick

That's quite an assumption to make, and horribly innacurate, as well.

Back