Feelings/frustrations.

I only know one solution that helps is using my phone. I have an iPhone and I use Note app. Text messages is not only popular in deaf world but also in hearing world. So if I'm in a large group, I will find a person I want to talk to and commuicate with them using Note app. It's like using text message, but in person. Most of them never hesitated to use it and the conversation won't be as slow as using pen and pad. Have you tried that? It's better to talk to one person at a time than just sitting and have no idea what the heck they're talking or laughing about or trying to read their lip.

MushyCookies, I know what you mean. I have a small circle of true friends who know and have the patience to communicate with me. Everyone else is strictly an acquaintance or not bothered with at all. Sometimes, I found some who really want to learn other ways to talk to me but can't, so I teach them the alphabet so they can spell-sign to me. i'm a CI user and still use this method to communicate with hearing friends when the need arises. If your friends don't want to take the time to learn how to talk to you, it's their loss. Be sweet, don't change for anyone! You have good potential friends here too. :hug:

I went through that millions times. I usually just brush off or put on I-don’t-care cap. It’s easier to put it aside and move on than taking it personally. I know it’s hard, but it’s the best way to do that.

I don't have much choice when it comes to friends in real life. The deaf community are not as nice as they were after they heard and started believing a rumor that was not true. So i am basically stuck with the Hearies.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I went through same thing on my side. I haven't hang out with any deaf people for more than 10 years now because of that. I know not all deaf are like that...

Now, you all know why Im'a big tv person...love reality tv shows b.c it feels like they are talkin to me with closed captions... :lol: It is important to watch yo surroundings..dont leave yourself in a bad place or environment. and dont even look at'em.

Here's what i posted on my facebook after a bad night with a couple of my friends.

"Ok, i have had enough. To everybody on my friend list that don't know ASL, Here's a few things deaf people absoultely hate having to deal with when they are hanging out with you..

1. When you get mad or frustrated that you can't talk to me. You don't think i feel the same? ( I have held back a lot of desire to punch people in the face whenever i see them SIGH in frustration)

2. When people ignore you. By ignoring, i mean whenever you try to talk to them and they brush it off as if it is nothing and keep doing whatever it is that they are doing. (this happen way too often)

3. When people give up trying to talk after a few attempts. (there are so many ways to talk to me, I am a person. I have feelings, It upsets me when you do this.)

4. I am not as naive as you may think i am. I can read lip pretty good and have seen people say many terrrible things about me right in front of my face. Show me some f***ing respect. To those who does this, One day, don't be surprised if my fist somehow accidentally land on your face.

5. Treat me as if i am like you all. Don't over do anything. I don't know why but a lot of hearing people likes to be extra touchy with me. I can understand a small tap on the shoulder to get my attention. But that is enough.

Mind some of the vuglar terms. I just needed to get that off my chest."

I would like to know if anybody have ever felt this way? I just sometimes feel like i am the only one here that feels this way. Anybody have any other things they don't like while socializing? This rant was a quickly written one, so i didnt really phrase a lot of things properly and in a nice manner. I was upset.[/QU

fb friends un-natral, not true friends,friend is someone you look in the eye good friends are sisters from different mothers
respect is something you going to loose if as you say'fucking fist in the face'you contradict yourself by saying these are some vulgar terms used on you .when you just used one....i realise you upset and rather pissed off but you got accept people are not going to know bsl/asl so show them some of the signs that be helpful to you and them if they dont want to know then stuff them move on...when i lived in london i had more than one deaf club i went to we use bsl but that did not make them friends just aquatinses and place to relax,i took hearing friends with me and they felt uncomfortable which was a shame .but they came into my world with different thinking set...i lived first 30yrs of life as hearing second 30yrs as deafi so experince both and realise people can be frightened of what they dont understand sadly that happens in every culture age group sexual orintation.it just the human condition so many facets.
i have a mother for want of better word she bitch never made any effort learn bsl same with rest of family but the worse most upsetting when i went deaf my accident also caused me to have epilepsey and she is ashamed of that my accident also left my daughter serverly brain damage my family turn their back on us that i think is evil.......back to your problem one things i do is get the 'nevermind' thing in first say it to them in such away they will want to know what the nevermind comment was for and do it in a patronizing way,also people never want make mistakes in lanage try understand from that perpective...now my eyes are poor tonight can i can't write what i wanted..but keep your pecker up and i try eplain it better later tomorrow my eyes to poor to read tonight good luckk hun

I don't have much choice when it comes to friends in real life. The deaf community are not as nice as they were after they heard and started believing a rumor that was not true. So i am basically stuck with the Hearies.

You shouldn't let that deprive you from being around the deaf community. Rumors will always be rumors regardless. Don't let them pull you down to their level. It won't matter a year from now or 5, 10 years from now too.

Are you 100% deaf or HoH or an ASL student?

75% deaf lol but I had a rough childhood where I was basically almost the only deaf kid in school and I constantly got picked on. Silly town I lived in but in the end, I ended up owning the town with my wits and extreme pranks. :O

You shouldn't let that deprive you from being around the deaf community. Rumors will always be rumors regardless. Don't let them pull you down to their level. It won't matter a year from now or 5, 10 years from now too.

Deaf communities are silly. Isolating themselves from the world. That's why when I host a party, I invite EVERYONE and manage them like a good host would do. :)

Deaf communities are silly. Isolating themselves from the world. That's why when I host a party, I invite EVERYONE and manage them like a good host would do. :)

It's no different from both deaf and hearing communities. There's always gonna be some good/bad people out there. Isolation isn't the answer. It just gives you an excuse to avoid the problem. But, as a good host, It's great you're thinking of throwing a balance in the mix. :)

Only being HoH, I haven't run into most of these problems... The heavy sigh/ giving up after a couple tries is pretty frustrating though; it's not my fault I can't hear, and they can't enunciate their words. >.<;

Back