feeling lonely+ wanting to go to gallaudet university

You are overlooking the fact that her parents are paying and can't pay for Gally or NTID.

The only obstacle is that she needs to resolve to fund it herself.

What you are talking about doesn't really matter at all. She already knows what she wants.

She just needs to find a way to fund it on her own and not be a burden to her parents.

Amen to that.

DD, Just read her originial post again. Sorry.

This is a story from what will seem as really way back to some but hopefully will provide some useful food for thought. It also is not a story involving hearing loss but life after CC.

I graduated from HS in 1960 with a hearing loss in only one ear and not using anything. My classmates did a variety of different things that next fall. I found a part time bookkeeping job that was a block away from the local CC and was able to, check out from work, pop down the alley any time to take a class and then go back to work. That job grew into full time, I loved the people I was working for & with and stayed for over 30 years. So did others. A coworker and I had a conversation about it at one point where the only ones (other than construction crew called in as needed through unions) that had not been there over 20 years were the ones that were not old enough to have been.

A classmate that took her first two years at CC has recently been our mayor and it was just in the newspaper this morning that she is going to be a delegate to the Democratic National Convention.

One of the guys started at the U of I but didn't like the very, very large classes and came back to complete his first two years. He said he would take shorthand for note taking before doing that again (remember this is 1960). I do not know where he went later but do know that he has been a lawyer for years.

Exactly 10 years later my boss's son went to the local CC for the first two years for the smaller class size before finishing an accounting degree. He is currently a CPA with his own practice.

Just some examples of people that I know personally and what they did following CC.

Last edited:
This is a story from what will seem as really way back to some but hopefully will provide some useful food for thought. It also is not a story involving hearing loss but life after CC.

I graduated from HS in 1960 with a hearing loss in only one ear and not using anything. My classmates did a variety of different things that next fall. I found a part time bookkeeping job that was a block away from the local CC and was able to, check out from work, pop down the alley any time to take a class and then go back to work. That job grew into full time, I loved the people I was working for & with and stayed for over 30 years. So did others. A coworker and I had a conversation about it at one point where the only ones (other than construction crew called in as needed through unions) that had not been there over 20 years were the ones that were not old enough to have been.

A classmate that took her first two years at CC has recently been our mayor and was it was just in the newspaper this morning that she is going to be a delegate to the Democratic National Convention.

One of the guys started at the U of I but didn't like the very, very large classes and came back to complete his first two years. He said he would take shorthand for note taking before doing that again (remember this is 1960). I do not know where he went later but do know that he has been a lawyer for years.

Exactly 10 years later my boss's son went to the local CC for the first two years for the smaller class size before finishing an accounting degree. He is currently a CPA with his own practice.

Just some examples of people that I know personally and what they did following CC.

Great post Jane.

So, I've been having a hard time with dealing how my really close friends moved away to college. It seems like I'm the only one that is staying at home for college. It sucks. I go to Sinclair Community College. And I don't really feel that comfortable making friends over at sinclair because there is also a lot of older adults that goes there as a student that I don't really know. I rather be friends with people that are close to my age.

If its not about my friends moving away for college, then its them moving away with their family to another state. Half of my friends are doing that too. One of my best friends that I have been hanging out with for 4 years in high school moved away to Pennsylvania because her mom's boyfriend lives there. I'm trying to be positive about going to Sinclair Community College, I like all of my classes there, But I just don't seem to like being there. Plus the tuition at Sinclair is cheaper. So if i wanted to transfer to a four year university, I can have my associate's degree and tuition would be cheaper as well. Well, kind of. But I really rather go to Gallaudet University where I would feel like I'm in a more comfortable environment with people my age that's wanting to start their future. It's really hard to try and be positive with how i'm feeling about Sinclair community college. My parents say that they can't really afford to send me to Gallaudet right now. Which is why i'm saying maybe in two years I can go. Just as long as I have a solid GPA and working really hard in school. I wish I can just transfer to Gallaudet next year instead of in two years. I want to be around my deaf family more, And learn more about my deaf culture. And I also want to be able to take the amazing opportunities that Gallaudet has to offer there.

My parents kept saying that there will be times when I feel sick and that I will want my mom and dad to take care of me. And that there will be times when I need to talk to my mom and go into her bedroom and talk to her about how i'm feeling. And how I will feel homesick, etc. All of those things that my parents might be true. I may be homesick but it doesn't mean I'll be in college away from them forever. And If i need to talk to somebody I can always talk to my friends or just VP my parents and talk to my mom through that. And I know how to take care of myself when I'm sick. My parents also believe that I'm too young to be going to college on my own. I'm 19 now. I know how to take care of myself. It's time for me to be an adult, I'm not a little kid anymore. So I don't understand why my parents are saying that.

Right now I have mixed emotions about everything. I miss my friends, I'm worried if I will do good in college, Will I even meet new people in college?, Will I be able to get a job part-time? I'm trying to bury myself in homework and my studyings and trying to keep myself distracted without having to feel lonely without my friends and my boyfriend not being here. This will be kind of a hard year. I really do hope I'll meet somebody at sinclair that I can become friends with. I'm counting down the days though of when I'll see my best friends and my boyfriend again. I'll never understand why people invented the word "goodbye".

It looks like you have similar problem as I did in 2006. I want go to Gallaudet in fall 2006 and my GPA from high school was 3.6. My VR won't pay me to go Gallaudet due to protest and my parent made too much money so my parent want me go to technical school, but I declined to accept their offer and moved out of parent's house to live with relative. I tried to attend Gallaudet in fall 2007, spring 2008 and fall 2008, all failed because I don't get much assistance and my family made too much money. I worked full time at Walmart for 4 years but had to resigned due to medical condition and limited vision activity became more problematic. I attended community college in spring 2010 and it was extremely overwhelmed but managed to passed all courses with good grade. I was in community college for 1.5 years before transferred to Gallaudet. I have agree with you about social life was terrible in community college and I didn't make any friends, even attempt to make friends failed.

When I transferred to Gallaudet and you know that I'm not party animal. I made some new friends, especially transfer students but had to deal with some immature underage freshmen who picked on me. Some underage freshmen begged me to buy alcoholic beverages but I refused and threaten them to report CRE and DPS so they got scared away. At end of semester, I got 4.0 GPA because I got A in all courses, including ASL. Some immature freshmen apologized to me for their stupid action and they want me to stay at Gallaudet in spring semester, but I can't due to medical condition and I didn't blame them. I decided to withdrew from Gallaudet and transferred to UAB that started this fall. UAB is pretty similar to Gallaudet due to 4 years college, but only difference about UAB is hearing university, no free tutoring for upperclassmen courses (Session Instructors, SI), some courses are more difficult than Gallaudet, somewhat challenge to make friend and half of balance must be paid by 10 days before class start (vs to due in November for Gallaudet).

I found first week of UAB is very overwhelmed but I started feel better now. I will return to Gallaudet in anytime when my medical condition improves. I don't have much chance to make friends at UAB.

You have to resolve both of your interest AND money. If your money isn't permitted you to attend Gallaudet so you have to deal with it like I did. I totally understand about your situation - that's not fun and I agree with you about situation on community colleges. I suggested you talk to VR about your interest and not sure if they will help to pay because I didn't ask any students who from Ohio that their VR pay for it or not.

IMPORTANT: You must have very good GPA to prove that you are good and please take courses that you took seriously. If you trash it so you will probably never touch Gallaudet until you improve on your own.

From my own experience, when i was in gallaudet at this time. There were tooooooo many deaf kids who came to the gallaudet for the first time due to deaf culture or learn about their identify about deaf etc. That is very overwhelming for them. They end up being partied or socialized with friends too excessive and their grades become suffer then they were forced to leave because VR stopped paying when VR see their grades went down. So i think you could give yourself a try to do well with your current for a year if you do great then show your parents and show your own VR then they may consider of letting you to go to gallaudet if you really mean it. So you can contact VR on your own and explains to your own VR. but my opinion is to give yourself a year at other college to get a better grade to give less worry for your parents about the tuitions. they are not that cheap. just a thoughgt,

you still can visit gallaudet during year on your free time from your own money. That is what other deafies did it and they loved it there then they did work hard to get good grades from community colleges then transfer to gallaudet then they did very well. not all of them but most of them.

good luck

That why financial aid, academic advisors and professors from First Year Seminar warned, warned, warned students about DO NOT TRASH YOUR EDUCATION and create a common sense about having a party.

I had seen some upperclassmen at Gally are heavily party but managed to get A in most courses, because they have common sense about between study and party.

That why financial aid, academic advisors and professors from First Year Seminar warned, warned, warned students about DO NOT TRASH YOUR EDUCATION and create a common sense about having a party.

I had seen some upperclassmen at Gally are heavily party but managed to get A in most courses, because they have common sense about between study and party.

yeah. if they want to have degrees then they have to find a way to learn how to control their time management, like i did.

From my own experience, when i was in gallaudet at this time. There were tooooooo many deaf kids who came to the gallaudet for the first time due to deaf culture or learn about their identify about deaf etc. That is very overwhelming for them. They end up being partied or socialized with friends too excessive and their grades become suffer then they were forced to leave because VR stopped paying when VR see their grades went down. So i think you could give yourself a try to do well with your current for a year if you do great then show your parents and show your own VR then they may consider of letting you to go to gallaudet if you really mean it. So you can contact VR on your own and explains to your own VR. but my opinion is to give yourself a year at other college to get a better grade to give less worry for your parents about the tuitions. they are not that cheap. just a thoughgt,

you still can visit gallaudet during year on your free time from your own money. That is what other deafies did it and they loved it there then they did work hard to get good grades from community colleges then transfer to gallaudet then they did very well. not all of them but most of them.

good luck

Agreed. It is a whole new other world for them, especially for the ones that has not had any kind of exposure to be among peers that are exactly like them.I think you've dished out an excellent advice by encouraging the OP to still attend community college and visit Gallaudet from time to time - giving herself the chance to sample the 'life' at Gally. It's a great way for one to get a taste and be prepared. Also, most of them experience a 'total freedom' to do just about almost everything on their own without having anyone to hover over their shoulders. That alone can be overwhelming too.

Good Luck, coolgirlspyder! :)

During my time at RIT, I would take the time to observe students attending SVP/SOAR. I could usually tell who would last long throughout the year and who wouldn't.

There was one girl who had already gotten wasted on alcohol during SVP. From that, I knew she wouldn't last 6 months. Well, she ended up getting suspended from school 5 months later. She slept through the fire alarm one night. Luckily, the RA woke her up for her to get dressed and leave the building.

There was another girl who was already drinking during SVP, but she never got wasted. She kept her drinking under moderation. She made it through the year. :)

The only problem about the money situation right now is that I've been looking for a job. And I've been having a hard time trying to find a job. I applied to a lot of different places, and no luck.

The only problem about the money situation right now is that I've been looking for a job. And I've been having a hard time trying to find a job. I applied to a lot of different places, and no luck.
Keep trying, and try these employment agencies that could help you out?

Keep trying, and try these employment agencies that could help you out?

Idk, Ohio is kind of sucky right now to find jobs due to the economy. Half of my friends are having a difficult time trying to find a job too.

Is St. Rita's hiring in the dorms maybe? Contact St. Rita's and see if they might be able to help you. Heck contact Ohio School for te Deaf and see if they might help you. They might even have a post high school program. (some Deaf schools have a gap year thing for kids who need to work on their academic/ASL skills)

Back