feeling lonely+ wanting to go to gallaudet university

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
So, I've been having a hard time with dealing how my really close friends moved away to college. It seems like I'm the only one that is staying at home for college. It sucks. I go to Sinclair Community College. And I don't really feel that comfortable making friends over at sinclair because there is also a lot of older adults that goes there as a student that I don't really know. I rather be friends with people that are close to my age.

If its not about my friends moving away for college, then its them moving away with their family to another state. Half of my friends are doing that too. One of my best friends that I have been hanging out with for 4 years in high school moved away to Pennsylvania because her mom's boyfriend lives there. I'm trying to be positive about going to Sinclair Community College, I like all of my classes there, But I just don't seem to like being there. Plus the tuition at Sinclair is cheaper. So if i wanted to transfer to a four year university, I can have my associate's degree and tuition would be cheaper as well. Well, kind of. But I really rather go to Gallaudet University where I would feel like I'm in a more comfortable environment with people my age that's wanting to start their future. It's really hard to try and be positive with how i'm feeling about Sinclair community college. My parents say that they can't really afford to send me to Gallaudet right now. Which is why i'm saying maybe in two years I can go. Just as long as I have a solid GPA and working really hard in school. I wish I can just transfer to Gallaudet next year instead of in two years. I want to be around my deaf family more, And learn more about my deaf culture. And I also want to be able to take the amazing opportunities that Gallaudet has to offer there.

My parents kept saying that there will be times when I feel sick and that I will want my mom and dad to take care of me. And that there will be times when I need to talk to my mom and go into her bedroom and talk to her about how i'm feeling. And how I will feel homesick, etc. All of those things that my parents might be true. I may be homesick but it doesn't mean I'll be in college away from them forever. And If i need to talk to somebody I can always talk to my friends or just VP my parents and talk to my mom through that. And I know how to take care of myself when I'm sick. My parents also believe that I'm too young to be going to college on my own. I'm 19 now. I know how to take care of myself. It's time for me to be an adult, I'm not a little kid anymore. So I don't understand why my parents are saying that.

Right now I have mixed emotions about everything. I miss my friends, I'm worried if I will do good in college, Will I even meet new people in college?, Will I be able to get a job part-time? I'm trying to bury myself in homework and my studyings and trying to keep myself distracted without having to feel lonely without my friends and my boyfriend not being here. This will be kind of a hard year. I really do hope I'll meet somebody at sinclair that I can become friends with. I'm counting down the days though of when I'll see my best friends and my boyfriend again. I'll never understand why people invented the word "goodbye".

Have you considered to talk to an VR about the paying the tution for gally and consider an transfer to Gally, is it you 18 now right?

Transfer to Gally or NTID.........See if you can't get more financial aid.
I experianced the exact same thing.....community colleges are just.....not great for social life. They don't give you the real college experiance.

Have you considered to talk to an VR about the paying the tution for gally and consider an transfer to Gally, is it you 18 now right?

I just turned 19 this past sunday. And I emailed Gally's Admission Counselor..twice. but I haven't heard from them yet. My parents wants me to go to sinclair for two years to get my associate's degree so i can make money ahead of time. Plus when i was growing up i moved a lot to different schools to see what was better for me and I lost a lot of basic skills because of that and because of losing my hearing at a young age. And so They want me to catch up and get better grades so I can be able to transfer to a four year university and also to get my general education classes out of the way so I can also start on my major at the 4 year university so I don't have to wait any longer. Another reason is because of the tuition, If i do a two year at sinclair then i would save a lot of money when i go to a four year school. But my heart isn't set onto going to sinclair. I rather go to Gallaudet.

Transfer to Gally or NTID.........See if you can't get more financial aid.
I experianced the exact same thing.....community colleges are just.....not great for social life. They don't give you the real college experiance.

I would but My parents wants me to stay at sinclair for 2 years to get my associate's degree. I mean I'm willing to do that, but, I just don't want to do the 2 years for my associate's. I wish they made a one year program to get your associate's degree, to me that would be much faster.

you are 19, you are practically an adult, and you can make your own decisions. Go and do your research, speak with a VR about finaical aid and speak with gallaudet admission office (call them via VP) and get all these details and get yourself transferred there. I have a friend who is a student there this fall. (She's from indianapolis)

you are 19, you are practically an adult, and you can make your own decisions. Go and do your research, speak with a VR about finaical aid and speak with gallaudet admission office (call them via VP) and get all these details and get yourself transferred there. I have a friend who is a student there this fall. (She's from indianapolis)

The problem is, My parents is paying for my tuition. and they want me to keep me out of debt by going to sinclair. I feel like if i go there and do it myself with the transferring process, my parents will get mad. I need to work more on my grades because I always struggled in high school with dropping my grades down to a D and trying to raise it back up to a solid D. I'm suprised i managed to graduate high school.

weell, what's in to lose?

It is your decision, tell them if the college is not to your liking, your parents can stop paying for the tution, therefore you could show them that you can graduate like a boss in 4 years time from Gallaudet because Gally has everything that would fit for your own benefit, they teach in full ASL.

If your parents pay, of course they get to decide.

If you feel strongly, see what help you could get from VR and take student loans and then you are in charge as you are the one paying for it.

Good luck in acheiving your dream.

The problem is, My parents is paying for my tuition. and they want me to keep me out of debt by going to sinclair. I feel like if i go there and do it myself with the transferring process, my parents will get mad. I need to work more on my grades because I always struggled in high school with dropping my grades down to a D and trying to raise it back up to a solid D. I'm suprised i managed to graduate high school.

Hmmmmm..........does Sinclair have a good dhh support program? Are there any community colleges near you that have a regional dhh program? You really do sound like me......only got a minimal accomondations IEP during high school, so you didn't do as well as you could have. If only you'd gone to a dhh regional program......I wonder if you could strike a compromise with them. Say that you're really really lonely and you don't feel like Sinclair is all that great. Point out if you're unhappy there it could have a huge effect on your academic acheivement. Ask if maybe if you did really well at Sinclair for a year, if you could transfer.......look into VR and other sources of financial aid.

Ye gods girl, why consider gally?? You would fit in better at ntid since you can cross register at rit wand the tuition would be half as much or more than hearing students py. I am more than sure ntid admission would be glad to help you out. The tuition at rit thru ntid is about the same as a community college anyways.
Send them an email and you will be happy you did

From my own experience, when i was in gallaudet at this time. There were tooooooo many deaf kids who came to the gallaudet for the first time due to deaf culture or learn about their identify about deaf etc. That is very overwhelming for them. They end up being partied or socialized with friends too excessive and their grades become suffer then they were forced to leave because VR stopped paying when VR see their grades went down. So i think you could give yourself a try to do well with your current for a year if you do great then show your parents and show your own VR then they may consider of letting you to go to gallaudet if you really mean it. So you can contact VR on your own and explains to your own VR. but my opinion is to give yourself a year at other college to get a better grade to give less worry for your parents about the tuitions. they are not that cheap. just a thoughgt,

you still can visit gallaudet during year on your free time from your own money. That is what other deafies did it and they loved it there then they did work hard to get good grades from community colleges then transfer to gallaudet then they did very well. not all of them but most of them.

good luck

Last edited:
So, I've been having a hard time with dealing how my really close friends moved away to college. It seems like I'm the only one that is staying at home for college. It sucks. I go to Sinclair Community College. And I don't really feel that comfortable making friends over at sinclair because there is also a lot of older adults that goes there as a student that I don't really know. I rather be friends with people that are close to my age.

If its not about my friends moving away for college, then its them moving away with their family to another state. Half of my friends are doing that too. One of my best friends that I have been hanging out with for 4 years in high school moved away to Pennsylvania because her mom's boyfriend lives there. I'm trying to be positive about going to Sinclair Community College, I like all of my classes there, But I just don't seem to like being there. Plus the tuition at Sinclair is cheaper. So if i wanted to transfer to a four year university, I can have my associate's degree and tuition would be cheaper as well. Well, kind of. But I really rather go to Gallaudet University where I would feel like I'm in a more comfortable environment with people my age that's wanting to start their future. It's really hard to try and be positive with how i'm feeling about Sinclair community college. My parents say that they can't really afford to send me to Gallaudet right now. Which is why i'm saying maybe in two years I can go. Just as long as I have a solid GPA and working really hard in school. I wish I can just transfer to Gallaudet next year instead of in two years. I want to be around my deaf family more, And learn more about my deaf culture. And I also want to be able to take the amazing opportunities that Gallaudet has to offer there.

My parents kept saying that there will be times when I feel sick and that I will want my mom and dad to take care of me. And that there will be times when I need to talk to my mom and go into her bedroom and talk to her about how i'm feeling. And how I will feel homesick, etc. All of those things that my parents might be true. I may be homesick but it doesn't mean I'll be in college away from them forever. And If i need to talk to somebody I can always talk to my friends or just VP my parents and talk to my mom through that. And I know how to take care of myself when I'm sick. My parents also believe that I'm too young to be going to college on my own. I'm 19 now. I know how to take care of myself. It's time for me to be an adult, I'm not a little kid anymore. So I don't understand why my parents are saying that.

Right now I have mixed emotions about everything. I miss my friends, I'm worried if I will do good in college, Will I even meet new people in college?, Will I be able to get a job part-time? I'm trying to bury myself in homework and my studyings and trying to keep myself distracted without having to feel lonely without my friends and my boyfriend not being here. This will be kind of a hard year. I really do hope I'll meet somebody at sinclair that I can become friends with. I'm counting down the days though of when I'll see my best friends and my boyfriend again. I'll never understand why people invented the word "goodbye".

Yea that's part of growing up. First day away to college - completely away from what you're comfortable with. It's basically like starting all over again - making new friends, yada yada yada. The best part about college is that it's so much easier to make friends than in high school. You'll quickly see that it'll be good in a week or so. I'm assuming that Sinclair Community College is a good school. you'll see that it doesn't have silly drama and cruel kids judging you, picking on you. You will easily make all kinds of friends because of common interest. the only negative is... Classes/course works are harder lol

When you say "older adults", I'm guessing they're like late 20s or more. You shouldn't worry much about it cuz most older adults (including me) go to community colleges at evening cuz they work in daytime.

Its hard thing to decide on since its your folks money. in todays society, its a great thing to be debt free, but if things are handed to you on a silver platter and you dont work hard to keep it (ie parents money means nothing to you as you have shown), then make a decision to go to gally or NTID and pay for it when you get out. Just do what make sense to you and your heart. Iff you go to a college you are not happy at, then how do you expect to graduate with decent grades if are not happy and do terrible worse then high school?!

Either be happy with your folks paying or be happy making a sacrifice in life (angry folks and looming debt). We cant tell you what to do, but just be aware of possibilities in life.

Most colleges whether they be community/state/or university tend to have a wide range of students- from those who just graduated and are quite young- to those who are older and better established. In college, most students begin to realize that the age of the person isn't as important as who they actually are as a person.

As to your parents paying for school, then they certainly have the right to say where they want their money to go. You may not be aware as you are still young, but college is insanely expensive. It makes sense for most people to get their undergraduate work done at a CC rather than a four year university or state school. You can still get a good education, get your GE units done, and save your parents (and yourself) tens of thousands of dollars (if not more).

I agree with others suggestions to keep up where you're at, do well, be open to meeting people, and transfer to Gally in a couple years. I'm sure school just started for you- give yourself some time to meet people.

Last edited:
Its hard thing to decide on since its your folks money. in todays society, its a great thing to be debt free, but if things are handed to you on a silver platter and you dont work hard to keep it (ie parents money means nothing to you as you have shown), then make a decision to go to gally or NTID and pay for it when you get out. Just do what make sense to you and your heart. Iff you go to a college you are not happy at, then how do you expect to graduate with decent grades if are not happy and do terrible worse then high school?!

Either be happy with your folks paying or be happy making a sacrifice in life (angry folks and looming debt). We cant tell you what to do, but just be aware of possibilities in life.

:gpost:

x2 but then again, she should decide for herself, she seems not to enjoy what she would want at the local community college. She would better off have the best experience at gally, I would be there in a heartbeat but the money stops me from doing it. :S

Actually guys, I 100% understand CGS when she's complaining about the demographics of Sinclair Community College.......I mean most community colleges are a bunch of parking lots, with a heavy load of older people.......and while I have a lot of "actual adult" friends, CGS is still at the age where she wants young adult friends.
Yes, transfer to either NTID (which would be AWESOME) or Gally.
NTID would be AWESOME beyond belief....but transfer ASAP to a school that has a strong signing/dhh population.

Actually guys, I 100% understand CGS when she's complaining about the demographics of Sinclair Community College.......I mean most community colleges are a bunch of parking lots, with a heavy load of older people.......and while I have a lot of "actual adult" friends, CGS is still at the age where she wants young adult friends.
Yes, transfer to either NTID (which would be AWESOME) or Gally.
NTID would be AWESOME beyond belief....but transfer ASAP to a school that has a strong signing/dhh population.

You are overlooking the fact that her parents are paying and can't pay for Gally or NTID.

The only obstacle is that she needs to resolve to fund it herself.

What you are talking about doesn't really matter at all. She already knows what she wants.

She just needs to find a way to fund it on her own and not be a burden to her parents.

Back