Fcc plan cut vrs

Have you thought or ask yourself this question, why in the history VRS companies except Sorenson have failed to develop new product from stratch that would result success? I am speaking of making their OWN equipment not buying from other companies that tried in the past. Here is another example VPAD, which Viable developed which lead them trying to cheat the system to revamp the losses? BUSTED!

Hey, don't you forget what happened to World Gate that designed Ojo, don't you remember they cut off the service? That is because SnapVRS is so broke they can't pay for the product (OjO) until the point where World Gate realize there is no profit in there decided to sell Ojo to smaller company at loss.

WAKE UP!, if snooze you lose!

Doesn't make sense to me. They simply made bad business decisions and in Viable's case they become too greedy once they see that the business is lurcative - if they had sizable market share like Sorenson they'll be making a lot of money. Sorenson had initial investment from Dr. Sorenson himself and they were already in business of licensing its video compression software. They saw there was a market for VRS so they decided to get involved. Along the line, they lost the sight and became greedy. Why sell bonds and promise investors they'll get significant return? Why can't it focus on its core business - providing quality VRS? FCC is revising the rates in an attempt to prevent any VRS providers from becoming too greedy. Doesn't history repeat itself - see what happened to Wall Street? Greedy. I don't think it's hard for anyone to grasp that.

Sorenson can afford to waste money by sending its drones to customers on regular basis. Rate cuts will probably cut that down so that'd be a good thing.

You surely realize that Walmart's profit margin is only 3.5%?

Well, I took one class at Gallaudet last year in business class. A teacher told us, Wal-Mart is only one company that could buy Africa's land. Um, that is alot of money to spend on Africa land.

Wal-Mart sells cheaper stuff to people. So, people go there because of "cheap price"

So, Sorenson provided a FREE Videophone but you better be happy when Sorenson release 3 new PRODUCTS that is coming VERY soon than you expected but sadly, if FCC decided to cute the RATES. Sorenson will have to throw all of 3 products which is not good news.

You know what their products will be?

One of my friend went to VRS open center in Blacksburg, Va for Sorenson. A man I forget name but he said it will be three new products which will be Cell Phone, software and ONE mobile VP that looks like IPAD.

So if Sorenson out of business, then another VRS providers could not afford to make a new products due to LOW rates.

Well, I took one class at Gallaudet last year in business class. A teacher told us, Wal-Mart is only one company that could buy Africa's land. Um, that is alot of money to spend on Africa land.

Wal-Mart sells cheaper stuff to people. So, people go there because of "cheap price"

So, Sorenson provided a FREE Videophone but you better be happy when Sorenson release 3 new PRODUCTS that is coming VERY soon than you expected but sadly, if FCC decided to cute the RATES. Sorenson will have to throw all of 3 products which is not good news.

You know what their products will be?

One of my friend went to VRS open center in Blacksburg, Va for Sorenson. A man I forget name but he said it will be three new products which will be Cell Phone, software and ONE mobile VP that looks like IPAD.

So if Sorenson out of business, then another VRS providers could not afford to make a new products due to LOW rates.

Seriously doubt that. Sorenson has cash reserves and they will roll out new products one way or another. They could sell new products if they can't afford to give them away like they did with VP200. Again, it seems that people don't get it. Even NAD said that FCC is not looking for ways to drive VRS providers out of business. They are merely adjusting rate that they think is fair. VRS providers will STILL make a profit. It's up to each one how to allocate funds. Reduce executives' salaries and bonuses, and cut back on sending drones, etc.

It's beyond me that people get ideas. Sorenson perpuated lies. I don't care if Sorenson has to suffer because of poor decisions it had made (selling bonds, etc) it has to face consequences but it will most certainly not be out business. FCC won't allow that to happen.

Hello Guys,

Many of you missed the point, I believe you all too focus on how much they make. It’s not about how many minutes they will be getting. It’s about how all the money flow into their business, their forecasting of what to pay next and such. Now, once the budget being cut, let say AcmeVRS company have about 40 VRS centers and leasing each space cost them about $10,000 per month, and leasing the internet lines cost them about $20,000 per months and such. They have to restructure the cost if what they are getting from FCC and AcmeVRS cash flow of going out to pay all the leasing is too much. So, they have to cut the lease. Now cutting the lease is going to be very expensive. Breaking the lease early going to be about $5,000 and they decided cut down to 20 VRS centers, that is about $100k total and breaking the internet line lease, let say $10,000 each and that is about $200k total and add it all up to $300,000 all together. They have to pay it up front to break the leases all at once. Secondly they already pay the current month leases which are about $600k plus breaking the leases of $300k, that is about $900k for that month to close everything down. You know, that is not the only thing about breaking the leases, but have to pay extra for moving the equipments, furnitures and so forth, all on top of that. Then they have to prepare to pay the next month leases for other 20 VRS centers.

I’m just giving you a basic idea of what going to happen to AcmeVRS company, restructuring the business is going to be very expensive and profit losses. Why, because AcmeVRS is getting much smaller incoming cash flow, and they have to pay bigger expenses going out. Cutting the VRS centers, will cause to have longer wait time for terp to answer and such. Also, sometime there are few VRS center have outage (because of bad winter storm, electrical outage and so forth) and will cause much longer waiting time for terp to answer.

You know it just the cost of what they make and have been stable for long time but if there’s a sudden change or sudden cut on cost..it’s going to be very painful. 45% cut is a lot. So, it’s not about greed, it’s about how it will hurt making the payments on thousand of leases out there.

Remember when you live in an apartments, and you decided to break the lease, and your money is very little cuz you already paid that month rent and you only have 100 dollars left in your banking account but breaking the lease agreement cost $300.00. How you gonna pay for that? Same concept.

Hey guys, if you really think running VRS a profitable, WHY NOT you start one and see for yourself. If you go ahead, let me know within couple years to see if you said it it is profitable.

Hello Guys,

Many of you missed the point, I believe you all too focus on how much they make. It’s not about how many minutes they will be getting. It’s about how all the money flow into their business, their forecasting of what to pay next and such. Now, once the budget being cut, let say AcmeVRS company have about 40 VRS centers and leasing each space cost them about $10,000 per month, and leasing the internet lines cost them about $20,000 per months and such. They have to restructure the cost if what they are getting from FCC and AcmeVRS cash flow of going out to pay all the leasing is too much. So, they have to cut the lease. Now cutting the lease is going to be very expensive. Breaking the lease early going to be about $5,000 and they decided cut down to 20 VRS centers, that is about $100k total and breaking the internet line lease, let say $10,000 each and that is about $200k total and add it all up to $300,000 all together. They have to pay it up front to break the leases all at once. Secondly they already pay the current month leases which are about $600k plus breaking the leases of $300k, that is about $900k for that month to close everything down. You know, that is not the only thing about breaking the leases, but have to pay extra for moving the equipments, furnitures and so forth, all on top of that. Then they have to prepare to pay the next month leases for other 20 VRS centers.

I’m just giving you a basic idea of what going to happen to AcmeVRS company, restructuring the business is going to be very expensive and profit losses. Why, because AcmeVRS is getting much smaller incoming cash flow, and they have to pay bigger expenses going out. Cutting the VRS centers, will cause to have longer wait time for terp to answer and such. Also, sometime there are few VRS center have outage (because of bad winter storm, electrical outage and so forth) and will cause much longer waiting time for terp to answer.

You know it just the cost of what they make and have been stable for long time but if there’s a sudden change or sudden cut on cost..it’s going to be very painful. 45% cut is a lot. So, it’s not about greed, it’s about how it will hurt making the payments on thousand of leases out there.

Remember when you live in an apartments, and you decided to break the lease, and your money is very little cuz you already paid that month rent and you only have 100 dollars left in your banking account but breaking the lease agreement cost $300.00. How you gonna pay for that? Same concept.

Sigh, it all boils down to how company manages its expenses. DO you think sending drones (trainers) to pester customers on regular basis is a good investment? I think not. Selling bonds promising investors significant return? It loses its focus on core business. I wouldn't be surprised if Sorenson executives bought bonds. NECA, an entity that is responsible for distribution to VRS providers, has accounted for ALL expenses and came up with the proposed rates that will STILL allow providers to make a profit.

Hey guys, if you really think running VRS a profitable, WHY NOT you start one and see for yourself. If you go ahead, let me know within couple years to see if you said it it is profitable.

Typical, you're obviously biased given that you're on Sorenson's payroll. Who said it's easy? The proposed rate cuts will simply force VRS providers to manage their funds more efficiently and I'm all for that.

You seems to be afraid to speak of who you are, your just anonymous person. This proves me that you know nothing about ropes on how to run a corporate.

Typical, you're obviously biased given that you're on Sorenson's payroll. Who said it's easy? The proposed rate cuts will simply force VRS providers to manage their funds more efficiently and I'm all for that.

It's the same concept with any of us. Suppose our incomes were cut by 40%. We would have to cut our spending. Maybe we have to cut our cell phone or internet service. Maybe we have to move to another smaller apartment.

Basically Sorenson will have to make the most changes, other smaller companies will have to make smaller changes.

You seems to be afraid to speak of who you are, your just anonymous person. This proves me that you know nothing about ropes on how to run a corporate.

To the contrary, you are anonymous as well. You certainly are not going to reveal your identity. So, what's your point?

Being anonymous person proves that one doesn't know anything about running a corporation? That's most absurd statement I've heard in a long time. Everything you've said in this thread has shown that you know nothing about running a business. I'm curious what do you do for living? We know for a fact you work for Sorenson. Probably one of the drones (trainers).

I used to work for a company partership with a CEO, my best friend was CEO. My best friend had to step down and shut down the corporation, sad!
I also personally did run my own business and I had to shut down because of expenses involved that many not realize. I was there and witness the cost and expenses and understood it clearly, however those who invest in my best friend's company got wrong idea and blamed him for being greedy, mind you he is BROKE! Yes, he was sued but it never went though so he walked away.

I also was RIT student and was in business courses back then and it was part of how I understand the picture of how to run the corporations. Of course there is alot to learn.

I am not going to repeat this.

Sure I work for Sorenson.

To the contrary, you are anonymous as well. You certainly are not going to reveal your identity. So, what's your point?

Being anonymous person proves that one doesn't know anything about running a corporation? That's most absurd statement I've heard in a long time. Everything you've said in this thread has shown that you know nothing about running a business. I'm curious what do you do for living? We know for a fact you work for Sorenson. Probably one of the drones (trainers).

YouTube - VP3D: The videophone of the future?

VRS got overpaid?

Wait, wait, ask yourself what happened to Purple MVP? Why they stopped improving it? Simple put, they can't afford research and development as they are VERY VERY VERY expensive

The cost of Terp is not enough, what about rents, Utilities, cost of people support if your VP is not working.

I hope you guys realize the bigger picture of true cost, I am sure you would think it is greedy, but what I witness my friend who tried and fail, he spent over 1/3 million dollars to try to develop a far out product for Deaf people. Unfortunatly it never goes out public, that is because investors thought my friend was greedy, they are dead wrong my friend is already broke and call him greedy? Don't believe me? Go ahead try to develop something and tell me how cheap it is? Yes, you got it right I saw it and it was awesome but too bad that you never saw it. The reason why he failed is because he needed another 1/3 million dollars down payment for manufacturer to start process and no one believe him and refused to invest in that product. Sad!

So back to purple, why they decided to go to software based? That is because it is alot cheaper to write a software which don't require patent, liablity insurance, does not require safety approval, does not require attorney to defend the idea of software itself like hardware does.

Check the Wiki explaining about Research and Development

Research and development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See, Drug companies can easily spent $200 million to do research on a drug itself!

Incorrect, I used to be contractor for Purple Comminicate Inc. They decided to stop MVP because it is TOO WAY complicated configurations for customer to understand how to use it. Also, it is Out to date device since Purple found a better way and even better quality video screen, its like upgraded from MVP to P3. :]

And yes, its expensive to funding on research and development. life goes on

Sigh, it all boils down to how company manages its expenses. DO you think sending drones (trainers) to pester customers on regular basis is a good investment? I think not.

The way I see it, since EVERYTHING IS PROFIT RELATED- sending drones is thier ONLY way to make sure the customer is USING SVRS for calls, with no equipment issues. They beleive every minute count.

same with call waiting- without call waiting if deaf is calling another deaf, SVRS cant get through therefore mins are lost. Vice versa if hearing person is in call with deaf and deaf calls- its a way to drag on the hearing call while deaf switch back and forth. more minutes! SEE!? profit related!!!

tech support, customer care, free vp's to make SVRS calls. They dont want to sell to hearing since they would lose money in tech support and customer care support. its all profit related!!!!!

they switched from vp100 to vp200 for better video to make it easier to make calls and STAY in the calls. same with the flasher- its doesnt cost much to add some leds, a little programming, and plastic to add the flasher to catch the deaf/hoh person to TAKE the SVRS calls and be IN the SVRS calls therfore racking up the minutes.

I can go on and on and on .....

If none of you didnt realize this, then wake up! I am sorry for the rude awaking, but everytime they say "we care" "new features" yadda yadda, I just roll my eyes and nothing they are doing is purely for the deaf/hoh community. Its all about making a profit themselves providing a service FOR the deaf/hoh.

We as deaf/hoh are still working on better equivolency and have same type of features a hearing person would have with cell phone or landline phones.

Selling bonds promising investors significant return?

Yeah!!! whats up with that ? WHO bought bonds from sorenson?! How are they feeling ? what is thier current opinion in the FCC proposal?

Incorrect, I used to be contractor for Purple Comminicate Inc. They decided to stop MVP because it is TOO WAY complicated configurations for customer to understand how to use it. Also, it is Out to date device since Purple found a better way and even better quality video screen, its like upgraded from MVP to P3. :]

yup- too complicated to for most people. even if a hearing person tried using it, they would be frustrated. too long to boot, short battery life, small portable screen. yadda yadda.

I used to work for a company partership with a CEO, my best friend was CEO. My best friend had to step down and shut down the corporation, sad!
I also personally did run my own business and I had to shut down because of expenses involved that many not realize. I was there and witness the cost and expenses and understood it clearly, however those who invest in my best friend's company got wrong idea and blamed him for being greedy, mind you he is BROKE! Yes, he was sued but it never went though so he walked away.

I also was RIT student and was in business courses back then and it was part of how I understand the picture of how to run the corporations. Of course there is alot to learn.

I am not going to repeat this.

Sure I work for Sorenson.

You failed to mention what you do for Sorenson. Being in college doesn't necessarily mean you are qualified to run a business. You didn't indicate what sort of business - failed companies are largely due to mis-management.

I work for a small consultancy firm and own a part time business so I have a pretty good picture of how a company is operated.

me said that one year ago!
MVP blunder

ZVRS from Sean Belanger - CEO

Re: FCC Rate

Most of you are well aware the FCC is proposing a rate cut. This cut would be bad for us. It would not be catastrophic to us and it would not bankrupt us. However the rate is very damaging to ZVRS. As all of you know, we have made huge progress over the last year and we have brought many new customers to the Z. We are company that is in the building mode. Our investors have taken no money out of our company. They have had 0 return on investment. We have been running the company at break even continuing to invest in new technology, better service and better awareness for the deaf community. The FCC proposes to drop our rate approximately 10%. You can imagine if we were at break even and had a 10% cut in revenue we would have to cut costs. We would also find ourselves in a position where we would have to cut back on new initiatives and the quality of service (interpreting) would suffer. We are going to fight the FCC on this rate cut and we believe that the FCC will listen to our argument and will move the rate up. The concept of a rate decrease when our expenses are going up is very hard to handle and we will fight. For our employees, keep doing your job and the great work you have been doing. Have faith in our ability to move the FCC to a logical rate and have faith in the FCC. I have seen Sorenson ask employees to send “recommended letters to the FCC. “ If you feel compelled to do so, send an email or letter feel free to do so. If you do not feel compelled please do not send anything. I hope you can speak from your heart about the great progress we have made at Z, the honest company we are and how we continue to change and improve deaf lives every day. It is very important that we not lose our momentum. We are about 4% of the size of Sorenson. We must insist that the FCC protect the small VRS providers like Z. In regard to Sorenson, they have been hit with a proposal for a potentially damaging rate that we believe is not fair to Sorenson. It does not provide for a fair rate of return or allow for all the costs of VRS. We support Sorenson in their fight at the same time we support the FCC and their effort to allow ALL providers a fair rate of return and not one provider a huge return while others struggle. We believe the FCC will increase the proposed rates in all tiers and the VRS services will continue to thrive. Feel free to share with anyone.

Sean Belanger, CEO - ZVRS

He supports Sorenson about Rate CUTE!

Former Gallaudet President sent his concerns to FCC

Dear Chairman Genachowski and Commissioners Copps, McDowell, Clyburn, and Baker:

I am I. King Jordan, former president of Gallaudet University and current advocate for the rights and abilities of people who are deaf and people who are disabled and I am writing to express my concern about the Federal Communications Commission's recent Public Notice that proposes to reduce the compensation rates for Video Relay Service.
Improvements in the ability to communicate as a result of the Americans with Disabilities Act have changed the lives of deaf people. Most notably, the advent of VRS has changed my life and the lives of many other deaf and hard of hearing individuals who have come to rely on this service. VRS is by far the most "functionally equivalent" form of TRS available today for those who communicate in American Sign Language, allowing us to communicate with rapidity and nuance that is not possible with other forms of relay. When I began my eighteen-year tenure as the President of Gallaudet University, I coined a phrase which has come to be my motto – “deaf people can do anything except hear.” VRS technology has enabled my words to ring truer and truer by allowing people who are deaf to become increasingly integrated into society.
VRS technology has improved rapidly in just the past three years. Because the Commission implemented a fair and predictable rate plan in November 2007, VRS providers have been able to set long-term goals and make investments that have benefited deaf users. There are more and better products available today than three years ago, VRS wait times have improved dramatically, and the skills of interpreters are noticeably better than in the past.
The progress of VRS is enormously beneficial to people who are deaf, and is a direct result of investments made in VRS. Still, VRS has a long way to go before functional equivalence is achieved. I was disheartened to see the Commission’s proposal to decrease the compensation VRS providers receive. If this proposal is implemented, recent advances will be eliminated because VRS providers will be unable to continue making the investments that are necessary to enhance VRS and reach more deaf individuals. I have serious concern that VRS will be degraded and perhaps even eliminated for large numbers of deaf users.
Chairman Genachowski, in June 2009, I attended your Senate confirmation hearing. You said in your opening statement that you came to the realization that “communication technology has the power to transform lives for the better” many years ago when your father showed you plans he had developed for a device to help blind people read. It is especially ironic that less than a year later, you and your fellow Commissioners appear poised to take actions that will irreparably harm the disability community by undoing the recent progress which has taken place with VRS.
The Commission must be vigilant in its support of VRS and equal communication access for people who are deaf. VRS rates should encourage, and the FCC should demand, improvements in VRS until we reach functional equivalence. I urge you to set rates for VRS which are adequate to assure continuation of the high level VRS service we have seen in the recent past as well as continued research and development, new product development, marketing and outreach to new consumers, and shortened wait times. The VRS rates proposed in your Public Notice will not do this and I urge you to reject them.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Respectfully submitted,
I. King Jordan

He wants to eliminate VRS rate cut.

That is because he understood how business works and runs. He nailed on every corners.

Of course profit exists and needed, if there is no profit, then what is the purpose of running business? Same with everybody of you that needs job. You work for a company, you sold your time to them, that is your profit. If you do great job, you will earn more money which equals more profit. If you dont do good job or not doing anything for company they will kick you out or won't give you pay raise, that is your loss of profit. So to speak, are you willing to work hard for somebody and gets little in return because your boss thinks your greedy?

Former Gallaudet President sent his concerns to FCC

He wants to eliminate VRS rate cut.

Back