Family Stone

M

Mookie

thefamilystone_bigearlyposter.jpg

THE FAMILY STONE Dermot Mulroney brings uptight fiancée Sarah Jessica Parker to meet his zany family: irascible mom Diane Keaton, peacemaker dad Craig T. Nelson, mean-spirited sister Rachel McAdams, wise pothead brother Luke Wilson, pregnant sister Elizabeth Reazer and, in an orgy of political correctness, brother Ty Giordano, who is deaf, gay and has a black boyfriend with whom he's adopting a child. Writer-director Thomas Bezucha has a deep understanding of family dynamics: how fear and loneliness turn into anger, how long familiarity lets siblings change moods in seconds while bewildering bystanders. Ultimately, though, characters couple and uncouple romantically with the ease of railroad cars, and a thought-provoking, potentially unique movie turns into a mushy blob of wish-fulfillment. 102 minutes.
• PG-13: Some sexual content including dialogue, and drug references.

I thought the film studio may have hired a fake deaf actor...but I just found a real deaf actor. Not need to boycott the film...

See Trailer

me sister and i are going to see that tommorrow. tell you how it is :lol:

Yes, please let us know what you think of the deaf actor especially ASL. I noticed that his sister fluent in ASL too from the trailer. What about his parent? His gay lover?

I am sure that the Family Stone is very hilarious.

Thanks. I will wait for DVD in five months....

Oh cool, I'll have to wait until it's on a DVD, then we'll watch it!

Thanks for letting us know ;)

the movie had funny parts ,but its sad which was what i at least expected from the movie. The deaf actor did very well, and his co -stars did signing especially when they all talked with eachother. theres this funny part when sarah jessica parkers character meets deaf actors character i forgot his name in the movie and she shouted to him " it's very nice to meet you" ,and he turns to rachel mcadams who plays amy his sister and hes like why is she shouting lol. i'd give the movie a B it wasn't awesome ,but it was an ok movie. Luke Wilson was real funny in the movie.

It was a cute movie. We loved the deaf guy who was signing..... we are beginning to learn sign and so it got us excited.

I just didn't like a certain message they were trying to PROMOTE. I get tired of that in every movie these days.

Anyway-

Heath said:
:crazy: :dizzy: :barf:
:ugh: :nono: :squint:Hollywood is becoming increasingly digusting. That is all I can say about it. Waste of my hard earned dollars. A better movie with Deaf excellent Deaf role model would be to rent or buy and keep... http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808610280&cf=info

Heath, they did not film this for you. Dramedies are supposed to be spotaneous and dysfunctional yet typical.

If you want more of the same, Mission: Impossible III is out now.

I didn't care how they portrayed the deaf character in the movie because families functions differently with handicaps.

Fragmenter said:
Heath, they did not film this for you. Dramedies are supposed to be spotaneous and dysfunctional yet typical.

If you want more of the same, Mission: Impossible III is out now.

I didn't care how they portrayed the deaf character in the movie because families functions differently with handicaps.
:cheers:

Mookie said:

Thanks. I enjoyed that glass of beer!

I just wanted to add my original post I created before knowing about this one. I'll search before starting similar threads next time LOL!

Original quote in my thread:

"This is the best movie I've seen this year.

After the movie ended, my life seemed easier to manage. After all, family is the most important thing you can have in your life.

I highly recommend you to watch the movie with NO expectations. Just pop the movie in and enjoy the show!"

:cheers:

Heath said:
:crazy: :dizzy: :barf:
:ugh: :nono: :squint:Hollywood is becoming increasingly digusting. That is all I can say about it. Waste of my hard earned dollars. A better movie with Deaf excellent Deaf role model would be to rent or buy and keep... http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808610280&cf=info

dude, you just :Owned: yourself. The link you posted was to another movie where Trevor had little to no effect on the storyline.

Just watch The Family Stone and I suspect you will be inspired by the film -- be it the storyline or Trevor's influence on the storyline.

In the end, I'm happy for Trevor's acting career but the point is I'm pleased with how this film touched my wife and I.

This was a beautiful movied. Rachel McAdams was excellent.

The Family Stone is a recommended rental, it is entertaining, funny, and dramatic at the same time. I think the characters were well cast, and the story was almost unexpected, which I enjoy. I hate predictiable movies.

Batou said:
The Family Stone is a recommended rental, it is entertaining, funny, and dramatic at the same time.

I enjoyed most of this movie. It was a bit of a guilty pleasure.

I did enjoy the treatment that was given to the 'deaf brother' character. He was shown as intelligent and 'fully functional' in society. His family was shown as an example of how a deaf person's family SHOULD behave. They were committed, respectful and protective. All good family traits.

People who have a deaf child/sibling and don't learn to effectively communicate with that person make me sick. :pissed:

The thing that I DIDN'T like was that all but two of the characters were ASSHOLES!! People who disagreed with their opinions or who came from different value positions were considered evil, ignorant, or somehow inferior. This was both from the family and from the guest's perspective.

The guest was a pampered, spoiled brat with no context for interacting with the family. The family were self-righteous assholes who had no sympathy for anyone who wasn't just like them.

I was left with the impression that 'the stoner and the sister' were the only people that I could tolerate for more than about 90 seconds in a social setting.

Just one redneck's opinion.

brianb

I seen it with my friends tonight and it was okay movie...

Back