EVIDENCE of being deaf with Hearing Aid device

Status
Not open for further replies.
jag said:
Sweetmind has the ablitliy to communicate with 'oralists' and whether she likes it or not that is a gift her parents gave her by not sending her away to a deaf school. The same for your fienace, she can communicate with a speaking person if she so chooses. That is a gift they were given, but it's a gift they'd choose to deny to deaf children with thier asl only, non-oralist, anti-device lectures.

TrippLA/Volcoumskaz,

That, my friend, is "ownage". SM wasn't anywhere close to owning Cloggy. Seriously, man.

jag said:
I work with a woman from mexico, her first language is spanish, she's been her for years her english is good but the way she describes it is when she hears something in english she translates it to spanish then answers in english. You see most adultls and older kids do run into that problem, your gift in different languages is not how the majority of teens and adults learn and conprehend a new language.

Studies have shown that the best time to learn new languages is early childhood. 14 yrs ago when one of my kids was interested in german they were saying around 8 it becomes more difficult. I know I researched it, she did try but since her german friend had moved back to germany she never really learned it.
True, so why do so many people say deaf children can't learn both English and ASL very well? :dunno: Why educate these children in English only if their best time for learning both is childhood?

PS: Yes, I realize I am not like most people, and I do plan on learning more languages.

Sweetmind has the ablitliy to communicate with 'oralists' and whether she likes it or not that is a gift her parents gave her by not sending her away to a deaf school. The same for your fienace, she can communicate with a speaking person if she so chooses. That is a gift they were given, but it's a gift they'd choose to deny to deaf children with thier asl only, non-oralist, anti-device lectures.

Eh? she has an ability to communicate with the oralists?? Yet, pray, tell me why she cannot communicate with me, an oralist??? So youre saying that my parents gave me a gift by not sending me away to a deaf school? So tell me why we do not see anything on same page? She may grew up that way but she does not speak for me or many others :ugh2:

Does children that who get CI when under 6 years old then they can learn to use ASL or just use oral only?

Gemtun said:
So tell me why we do not see anything on same page? She may grew up that way but she does not speak for me or many others :ugh2:

I think you took her comments the wrong way :dunno:

Gemtun said:

Eh? she has an ability to communicate with the oralists?? Yet, pray, tell me why she cannot communicate with me, an oralist??? So youre saying that my parents gave me a gift by not sending me away to a deaf school? So tell me why we do not see anything on same page? She may grew up that way but she does not speak for me or many others :ugh2:

Good point... Experiences differ and there's so much pain in her history that I would imagine she can't speak for the majority that had a normal upbringing.

I would say - she writes, perhaps even speak to people.
But communication...That implies more.... I haven't seen that in the last 2 years since I have been on messageboards with her.

volcomskatz said:
Does children that who get CI when under 6 years old then they can learn to use ASL or just use oral only?
ASL can be learned at any age even though I'm sure that like speech the best time is before age 6. Apart from that, why would a hearing child (with or without CI) not be able to learn sign.

If they want to is something else. Depends on the environment I guess.

Looking at my daughter.. she still uses sign but will nowadays start with speech. When she's tired or when she notices that the message doesn't come across, she'll use sign.

Actually, sometimes that's a "problem" since we can really use the signs when she's telling stories... but she leaves them out often...

Cloggy said:
ASL can be learned at any age even though I'm sure that like speech the best time is before age 6. Apart from that, why would a hearing child (with or without CI) not be able to learn sign.

If they want to is something else. Depends on the environment I guess.

Looking at my daughter.. she still uses sign but will nowadays start with speech. When she's tired or when she notices that the message doesn't come across, she'll use sign.

Actually, sometimes that's a "problem" since we can really use the signs when she's telling stories... but she leaves them out often...

I understand about your daughter that got 2nd CI. Why does need get 2nd CI? Please explain how can work with 2nd CI or 1st CI?

In USA, almost all Health insurance are not cover to get 2nd CI but you got universal health center.

volcomskatz said:
I understand about your daughter that got 2nd CI. Why does need get 2nd CI? Please explain how can work with 2nd CI or 1st CI?

In USA, almost all Health insurance are not cover to get 2nd CI but you got universal health center.
She got 2 CI's because we were offered. But even before we were offered, we decided that we would go that way.
Reason:
* Knowing where sounds come from
* Better hearing/understanding in noisy environment
* When one fails, she still has a working one

They work separately, hevaing each their own processor. This way the brain will be able to use the phase difference of sound entering the processors to eliminate noise... just like it does with working ears.

The benefit of the second CI is not as huge as the first one, but there is still a real benefit. We noticed when comparing her with other children that have only 1 CI, and there is a difference.

Cloggy said:
She got 2 CI's because we were offered. But even before we were offered, we decided that we would go that way.
Reason:
* Knowing where sounds come from
* Better hearing/understanding in noisy environment
* When one fails, she still has a working one

They work separately, hevaing each their own processor. This way the brain will be able to use the phase difference of sound entering the processors to eliminate noise... just like it does with working ears.

The benefit of the second CI is not as huge as the first one, but there is still a real benefit. We noticed when comparing her with other children that have only 1 CI, and there is a difference.

After both are implanted then she is unable to wear HA in future because nerves are dead and infested with CI. I'm lucky because HA is work on left ear and right ear isn't work because of CI.

It only takes one.....

Why educate these children in English only if their best time for learning both is childhood?

I do not think it should be presumed that deaf children will/can learn only one language. A child must have a complete language first in order to learn a second. Once the first language is grasped then they can learn a second, but it must be from someone who is fluent/literate and accurate in the chosen language. Providing a child with the same language at home and school is the opportune model. I cannot stress enough that it must be a clear concise accurate language model. Language delay for deaf or hearing children, is lost time, that is often very difficult to over come.

It is not unreasonable for deaf children to learn the familial language first, supporting the philosophy of complete inclusion in the family unit. Something that dod have the opportunity to experience.

English is a difficult language to learn, even harder to learn as an adult.

ASL is difficult to learn for the majority of people, the result more often that not is a poor language model to a child who a needs a complete language.There is no denying that this is indeed true. You cannot make people learn something that they cannot do, for whatever the reason.

To insist that parents learn a foreign language at a time when inclusion in the family is paramount, simply is unfair to the child.

Cloggy said:
ASL can be learned at any age even though I'm sure that like speech the best time is before age 6.

:) I'm thrilled to inform you that you are wrong.

I have two friends who floored me when they revealed to me that they learned ASL in college.

I thought they went to a residental deaf school all their lives but they sign better than I do!

Speech and hearing has to be taught as soon as possible for best results. You can worry about sign language later on because it is proven you can learn to sign ASL fluently even after high school!

Strange, huh?

Do you see what I see

I have two friends who floored me when they revealed to me that they learned ASL in college.

Fragmenter,

Some people are very strong visual learners, I wonder if that may be the case here. *just curious* I am not saying this with regard to hearing loss, but more to the fact that that is what kind of learner they are.

volcomskatz said:
After both are implanted then she is unable to wear HA in future because nerves are dead and infested with CI. I'm lucky because HA is work on left ear and right ear isn't work because of CI.
Interesting assumption and totally wrong..

First: She couldn't hear with a hearing aid, so there's nothing lost in the future.

Second: Nerves are not dead. They function, otherwise CI would not function.

Third: Nerves are not infested. The electrode is inside the cochlea, not in contact with the nerve..

So, I hope you appreciate me correcting you. Have a look at the links in my signature...

Feel free to ask more.

Fragmenter said:
:) I'm thrilled to inform you that you are wrong.

I thought they went to a residental deaf school all their lives but they sign better than I do!

Speech and hearing has to be taught as soon as possible for best results. You can worry about sign language later on because it is proven you can learn to sign ASL fluently even after high school!

Strange, huh?
Interesting... could have something to do with ASL being visual... different part of the brain..

Cloggy said:
Interesting assumption and totally wrong..

First: She couldn't hear with a hearing aid, so there's nothing lost in the future.

Second: Nerves are not dead. They function, otherwise CI would not function.

Third: Nerves are not infested. The electrode is inside the cochlea, not in contact with the nerve..

So, I hope you appreciate me correcting you. Have a look at the links in my signature...

Feel free to ask more.

Well, I can hear so well with HA on left ear, but right ear is used good until got implanted.

greema said:
LinuxGold -- I'm sorry BUT:

EXACTLY, Neecy, exactly! Now she should understand what a ghostwriter means! I cannot believe she would come up that wording by herself. :eek2:

:bowlol:
What is your point? This is derailing this thread, nothing having to do with Cochlear Implant. Like I said before, I could be a dog, with cat on my tail, turning around to take a turn to say things that my heads want to say. We could come up against an audience of 100 lawyers behind that user, but this thread HAS to stay on a TOPIC, regardless on who's behind the monitor.

Please STAY on topic and continue the conversation.

(this post might've been ghostwritten by my wife, who knows?)

LinuxGold said:
Like I said before, I could be a dog, with cat on my tail, turning around to take a turn to say things that my heads want to say.

(this post might've been ghostwritten by my wife, who knows?)

Had to bring cat-dog into this huh? Actually it was a pretty good cartoon once you got used to it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back