EVIDENCE of being deaf with Hearing Aid device

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do, I accept myself as deaf- as I just don't see why can't I be deaf and have CI if I want to .. :dunno:

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
I do, I accept myself as deaf- as I just don't see why can't I be deaf and have CI if I want to .. :dunno:

Fuzzy

I don't know who you are. You are deaf or hearing? I thought you are hearing because of your username "audio". I thought you are an audiologist and are hearing.

CI is NOT man-made. CI is free-will - it is your choice and you figure it out if CI is a good or bad idea.

Unfortunately, CI is a bad idea because CI really hurts so many deaf people's feelings and identities.

CI is MUCH WORSE than hearing aid. CI is like magic because it makes you hearing extremely well like hearing people's hearing levels - CI is like a dream for profoundly deaf people. Hearing aids are not like CI and it won't make you like hearing people's hearing levels. Hearing aids help many deaf people hear but not fully and it amplifies. CI is stunned and magical so that's why it really hurts many deaf people's feelings because CI really took their identities away a great deal.

I must tell you that my deaf friend who had CI for a few years and it didn't work for her and her deaf husband met her and he told his wife that CI really hurted her feelings so it made her to have CI and she realized she made a big mistake. She realized that CI really hurted her soul very, very much. That's why she said, "CI is so evil!". I totally agree with her.

I know some deaf people who have the CI. It's their choice - not mine - it's their free will and if they are happy, then I'm happy for them but it's risky due to feeling hurt and having problem with acceptances.

That's why CI isn't a very good idea after all.

I thought you are hearing because of your username "audio".

audio - FUZZY - got it :) ?

I am technically deaf- severe to profund HA loss, two HAs.. grew up in hearing world.. :fly:

Fuzzy

Momoftwo said:
Yes, I do have a hearing aid but I don't wear it anymore.

CI is way too invasive procedure. CI is a man-made tool which MEANS that God has to do NOTHING with this CI - that was NOT his plans. Look at so many so awful comments like CI debating war and it doesn't stop right there and what's more it really HURTS many deaf people's feelings because many hearing people really want deaf people hear and that hurts their feelings. God made people deaf and LEAVE it alone - don't fix their hearings but doctors fixed deaf people to hear which is CI. CI makes you like hearing person but when u take the CI off, then you'll be deaf but it hurts people's feelings because they really care about their hearings rather than their own identities.

I don't care if CI is the tool to help them hear better.

CI is simply a TERRIBLE idea - it hurts to your soul.

OK, Angel?

Too bad!

Please kindly show me in the bible where it say CI is evil or is it HOW you see it? It's all about the process of living your life with purpose, passion, and allowing it to be easy just because some deaf people may be implanted with CI it doesn't mean they're going to be completely hearing but it means they will have a better chance to success in both worlds and cochlear implants can help deaf children learn spoken language and overcome the educational, and social barriers that they often face in this world.Deaf people should be able to freely choose the kind of device tools they want whether it may be cochlear implant or hearing aids and parents of deaf children have that right to choose by supporting on behalf of their children.I'm soo tired of the Deaf community thinking they know all about raising deaf children and it's not easy for parents to make these decisions but it's easy for some deaf people to criticize those parents for how they choose to raise their own deaf children...

:stepping off the heavenly clouds:

Momoftwo said:
EVERYTHING IS man-made!

God made people deaf and LEAVE deaf people alone - don't need them to be fixed!

Computer doesn't belong to your body. Deaf is in your body.

You don't get it.

What about those who can not walk, should we leave them alone and let them crawl?

I dont think God made the plans for us to be deaf? Certain diseases like Rubella, and menegitis are caused by germs.

ci are not evil! they are a tool to help us hear? i know u dont like the idea... but why cant u just be openminded for once? just like protesthis for a person who had his leg amputed due to war? What about my mom having cataract? she was almost blind but had the laser surgery and now she can see better again? is laser surgery evil? NO! jmo...

Y said:
This looks like that anyone with CI
do NOT accept his/her deafness.

Simple.

Actually no. The problem is more that there are people here who won't accept all deaf people for who we are and the choices we make. These people set a rigid definition of deafness and then judge deaf people upon that arbitrary criteria and those that fail to meet the definition get the label "does not accept deafness".

daffy93 said:
I am hard of hearing person. I am fine me being as hard of hearing. I wear hearing aids to help me hear and I don't need the CI.

Snort! You're lucky you can wear hearing aids. I can no longer do so. When i put my hearing aid in it physically hurts. The sounds are very loud and they leave me with the worst tinnitus afterwards. I have a condition called recruitment, which developed after I lost my residual hearing last year and having a CI will bypass the part of the ear that causes this problem.

Sorry but hearing aids are not an option for many people with CIs. It's nothing to do with not accepting oneself as being hard of hearing or deaf. We are still deaf.

Momoftwo said:
Yes, I do have a hearing aid but I don't wear it anymore.

CI is way too invasive procedure. CI is a man-made tool which MEANS that God has to do NOTHING with this CI - that was NOT his plans. Look at so many so awful comments like CI debating war and it doesn't stop right there and what's more it really HURTS many deaf people's feelings because many hearing people really want deaf people hear and that hurts their feelings. God made people deaf and LEAVE it alone - don't fix their hearings but doctors fixed deaf people to hear which is CI. CI makes you like hearing person but when u take the CI off, then you'll be deaf but it hurts people's feelings because they really care about their hearings rather than their own identities.

I don't care if CI is the tool to help them hear better.

CI is simply a TERRIBLE idea - it hurts to your soul.

OK, Angel?

Too bad!

Hi momoftwo,

I think you are being consistent by not wearing your hearing aid. It makes me angry when I see posts from people wearing hearing aids telling us that CIs are evil and we don't accept our deafness. This is hyprocrisy to me.

I am a Christian too and try to read the Bible on a regular basis. I don't see a God that condemns people for using devices to facilitate ease of access to the hearing world. Can you show me some verses that indicate this? I do agree with your sentiment that in whatever situation we are we should seek contentment but this doesn't mean that you cannot take advantage of devices or medicines that may make your situation easier. Imagine how far we could take this? We could tell cancer patients not to take treatment and accept their conditions. We could tell mentally unbalanced people not to take anti-depressants.

How do you feel about the verses that talk about deaf people being healed by miracles? Cheri said that this is a true miracle (as opposed to CIs which some silly people tout as a cure) and that is fine. But it suggests to me that God sees deafness as something that can be healed.

By the way I read about your history in another post and I can understand your strong feelings about this issue. However we weren't raised in the same way and I for one really love the independence that hearing gives to me. I do respect your feelings but I think you also need to respect that other people are different.

Y said:

Simple.

This is a general blanket statement that broadly "tars" every CIer without any justification. It is categorically not a true statement by any stretch of the imagination. Most of us CIers know we are deaf and do not deny it one iota (I cannot speak for some who like to pretend they are hearing). We also like being a part of the hearing world too. There is a lot out there and it is where 98% of world exists. It is nice to hear the environmental noises that some indicated as worthless but it is rather priceless such as birds chirping during the springtime. Better yet for those who can understand speech, it gives us another tool in communication with the people around us who are primarily hearing. This is what I most love about my CI (after my HA could no longer do the job)...the ability to function in the hearing world.

By no means does this imply we reject being deaf or the deaf. Each to their own. Life is far too short to get all tangled up over who is correct or how it might be ruining the deaf community. It will exist and continue to exist in some form. Fighting to the last man will not bring about acceptance. Acceptance mean accepting what choices others make whether to hear with HA or a CI or not. If some don't want to hear, that is fine and the same is true for those who want to hear.

These running battles in various threads have not resolved the basic problem. It may be quite some time before it gets to the point of easy acceptance for all choices that people make for their life. When will it happen? Who knows but in the meanwhile, let be mindful there are no absolutes with choices (in respect how one percieves being deaf).

Let and let live...(knowing full well that the battle is still enjoined).

Hey SR171soars a thought has occured to me. What are we doing here on Alldeaf.com? It's ruining our image! We're supposed to be pretending to be hearing people. Oh, the shame. What are we going to do when people find out what we really are....deaf?

R2D2 said:
Hey SR171soars a thought has occured to me. What are we doing here on Alldeaf.com? It's ruining our image! We're supposed to be pretending to be hearing people. Oh, the shame. What are we going to do when people find out what we really are....deaf?

Simply shocking isn't it... :D

hello all,

This post is in reply to Neecy.

I have just one question for you. You state that you dont need to sign anymore because all your family is hearing and all your friends are hearing and with your CI you can hear them and not have to use sign.

Ok, fine I buy that. Here is my question. What happens if your CI works no more? Think about it there may come a time in your life when y our CI wont help you at all anymore.

I speak from some experience here. I never wore a CI, but I have worn hearing aids. My whole family was hearing and my deaf friends were scattered just like yours. All my friends were also hearing just like yours. So I didnt sign either with any of them..

Guess what? I recently lost ALL hearing I had even the HA's dont work for me no more. I was left in a world that doesnt know how to communicate with me.
Luckily, for me they are learning. But it is still rough.

NOw you may say awww that wont happen to me. But, think about it I said that too.

Thanks,

Bear

R2D2 said:

sr171soars said:
Simply shocking isn't it... :D

LOL :lol: Both of you R2D2 and sr171soars certainly have
a Great sense of humor :)

I think perhaps the real issue is more of
their own interests rather than acceptance.

Some deaf people have their own interests
in music/listening etc...

Some other deaf people absolutely have
no interest in hearing these music including
chirping birds etc

Momoftwo said:
EVERYTHING IS man-made!

God made people deaf and LEAVE deaf people alone - don't need them to be fixed!

Computer doesn't belong to your body. Deaf is in your body.

You don't get it.

So by your philosophy- if a child is born with no legs, the parents should say to them "Sorry we can't get you artificial legs or a wheelchair because God wants you to have no legs - You'll have to learn to deal with it on your own" (justa as Angel stated). Or a child who is born with spina bifida should be denied the surgery to close the spinal column and allowed to die because "God meant for their spinal cord to be exposed"

Sorry - this doesn't make ANY sense to me. And even moreso because not evebody in the world believe in God (I don't- and he sure as hell had no hand in my going deaf OR getting a CI )

Momoftwo said:
I don't know who you are. You are deaf or hearing? I thought you are hearing because of your username "audio". I thought you are an audiologist and are hearing.

CI is NOT man-made. CI is free-will - it is your choice and you figure it out if CI is a good or bad idea.

Unfortunately, CI is a bad idea because CI really hurts so many deaf people's feelings and identities.

CI is MUCH WORSE than hearing aid. CI is like magic because it makes you hearing extremely well like hearing people's hearing levels - CI is like a dream for profoundly deaf people. Hearing aids are not like CI and it won't make you like hearing people's hearing levels. Hearing aids help many deaf people hear but not fully and it amplifies. CI is stunned and magical so that's why it really hurts many deaf people's feelings because CI really took their identities away a great deal.

I must tell you that my deaf friend who had CI for a few years and it didn't work for her and her deaf husband met her and he told his wife that CI really hurted her feelings so it made her to have CI and she realized she made a big mistake. She realized that CI really hurted her soul very, very much. That's why she said, "CI is so evil!". I totally agree with her.

I know some deaf people who have the CI. It's their choice - not mine - it's their free will and if they are happy, then I'm happy for them but it's risky due to feeling hurt and having problem with acceptances.

That's why CI isn't a very good idea after all.

I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean everybody will have the same. I'm deaf. My soul is intact and fine. Its not hurting and I'm happier than I have ever been in my life, thanks to my CI.

The moral is there needs to be more tolerance.

R2D2 said:

LMAO!!! This totally cracked me up!!! I love your humor. Cheers!!! :cheers:

Bear said:
hello all,

This post is in reply to Neecy.

I have just one question for you. You state that you dont need to sign anymore because all your family is hearing and all your friends are hearing and with your CI you can hear them and not have to use sign.

Ok, fine I buy that. Here is my question. What happens if your CI works no more? Think about it there may come a time in your life when y our CI wont help you at all anymore.

I speak from some experience here. I never wore a CI, but I have worn hearing aids. My whole family was hearing and my deaf friends were scattered just like yours. All my friends were also hearing just like yours. So I didnt sign either with any of them..

Guess what? I recently lost ALL hearing I had even the HA's dont work for me no more. I was left in a world that doesnt know how to communicate with me.
Luckily, for me they are learning. But it is still rough.

NOw you may say awww that wont happen to me. But, think about it I said that too.

Thanks,

Bear

If my CI stops working I'll go back to communiating the way I did before I had a CI - lipreading and sign. Now that I have the CI I don't have the NEED to sign, but that doesn't mean I *can't*.

Y said:

Simple.

There are members in this forum who have CIs and are incredibly involved in Deaf culture. The one I think of off the top of my head (a personal friend of mine) has a deaf mother, uses ASL daily, attends monthly Deaf socials (we're going to one this weekend!) and has held a position in a Deaf organization in his state. And he has a CI. Now, please explain to me why someone would go out of their way to stay involved with Deaf culture if they didn't accept their deafness?

ayala920 said:
There are members in this forum who have CIs and are incredibly involved in Deaf culture. The one I think of off the top of my head (a personal friend of mine) has a deaf mother, uses ASL daily, attends monthly Deaf socials (we're going to one this weekend!) and has held a position in a Deaf organization in his state. And he has a CI. Now, please explain to me why someone would go out of their way to stay involved with Deaf culture if they didn't accept their deafness?

somebody here also mentioned that the principal of a deaf school somwhere in the States got a CI. They're still a principal of a deaf school, directly involved with the deaf community and deaf culture - I don't see how that's denying their own deafness either. Good point, ayala!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back