Ever been insulted for being deaf?

jasin

Reaction score
One guy on the bus called me deaf, dumb, and stupid, and another guy who I goto school with called me a fraud, a fake deaf.

I think maybe people call me those things because I am partialy deaf and not fully deaf. Anyone partialy deaf or fully deaf had a similar expierence? I'd like see what you all expierence or have gone through not being hearing.

OHHH I had PLENTY of times when I got called so many nasty names just because of my deafness growing up.

I got called

Deaf and Dumb

Deaf and Mute (I could speak well so who are the dumb ones? LOL)

Retard

Deaf Bitch

CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN UUUUUUUUUUUUUU REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDD MMMMMMYYYYYYY LLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPS?

The worst ones

" I am sorry u are not qualified for a promotion to a shift leader because of your inability to hear." I quit that job cuz that was discrimination right there.

Relay calls

"huh? What is this? Why do I have to talk to this?" "I dont need to talk to those people" and "Geez another one of those deaf mute people who cant talk..my gosh" and then hang up on me. I actually drove to one pizza place to confront the employees for making fun of me on the phone (thanks for the relay operator who relayed everything) and reported them to the manager. The manager suspended them without pay for a month. Lost wages, what a sweet revenge!

Guess there are so many dumb and ignorant people out there and those are the ones who usually calls us dumb. Kinda ironic cuz they are dumb themselves. :ugh3:

I don't remember too many hearing making fun of me or my speech other than two girls in middle school who laughed every time I misprounced the name of a local mall.

On the other hand, I hate making relay calls. Here are some recent examples:

One Chinese take out refused to take my order via relay. I'm not going back to it.

When some idiot in a SUV backed up into my car and took out the grille, I had to get in touch with my car insurance.

The guy who wanted to refer my case to another agent had trouble
believing me when I told him I didn't need to hear to email the agent. I found that bizarre. I told him that the agent only needed a computer and access to the internet and no special eq. He couldn't get past the fact that I can't use voice mail or the telephone.

*me banging my head against the wall.*

However my agent was very flexible about the whole thing. :)

Oh wow, I am so sorry. No one should have to be insulted because of something that is out of their control, not being able to hear or being hard of hearing.

I actually drove to one pizza place to confront the employees for making fun of me on the phone (thanks for the relay operator who relayed everything) and reported them to the manager. The manager suspended them without pay for a month. Lost wages, what a sweet revenge!

:rockon: Sooo glad you did that! And good on the relay operator for telling you what was said.

The worst ones

" I am sorry u are not qualified for a promotion to a shift leader because of your inability to hear." I quit that job cuz that was discrimination right there.

Relay calls

"huh? What is this? Why do I have to talk to this?" "I dont need to talk to those people" and "Geez another one of those deaf mute people who cant talk..my gosh" and then hang up on me. I actually drove to one pizza place to confront the employees for making fun of me on the phone (thanks for the relay operator who relayed everything) and reported them to the manager. The manager suspended them without pay for a month. Lost wages, what a sweet revenge!

hahaha, way to go girl!!

Relay calls

same thing happen to me when I call order pizza and delivery but somehow hang up. I said why hang up? Relay admit to me that they are make fun deaf people. I said what the fuck?. After that I drive there and I demand need talk to supervisor. I explained what happen. He said will take care of everything. In about two weeks later I going call again to see if improved or not. It is good enough it was much better. DAMN IT I hate peeps make fun on deaf or HOH.

Many hearing people would be very mean at me. I would ingore them. They are just loser!

I hate Relays because many people always say sorry I cannot take this call because I don't have time or I am not interesting in what you are trying sell. I had to ask Relay to redial to tell that I am not sale person. I don't use relay much because I use text message and emails very often. Relay not always tell you full story. My husband is hearing. He called Relay and contact with me at our own home with his cell phone phone. He watched what Relay typed. Relay oper didnt tell me what my husband was telling. My husband told relay that he is watching the oper typing and Relay oper was speechless and told her that we cannot trust you and you are so bad oper.

I remember all sorts of mean things said to and about my son growing up--many of them by people who should know better! For instnace, in the second grade, because my son was perceptive enough to know when someone was approaching him from the side and would turn to look and then lipread what they were saying, the teacher told me "He can hear more than you think he can!" :rl: When he was trying to use his voice, he would be called retarded. If he didn't understand, he was stupid, and if he did understand, he wasn't deaf. Couldn't win for loosing.

I am h/h and I have to endure the same snide remarks and jokes from my hearing co-workers. I just say " I have an I.Q. over 130, am bilingual and I can play guitar. What's YOUR excuse?" :cool:

I've been insulted several times before.

Once time, I was working at a local video rental store. I was a manager there. One day, a customer called and i answered the phone. It was a woman who started talking really fast and with a high pitched voice... it was hard for me to understand. So, I asked her to repeat slowly. She immediately said... "What are you... deaf!?" I calmly replied, "Yes, ma'am. I am." "Oh, umm..." and she hung up. ;)

I have been there when I talked with my 2nd sister with my Sign Language and someone saw us that we use Sign Language then make fun of us till my 2nd sister hear them and she yelled at them and I was all sudden shock didnt know that they make fun of us when we use Sign Language. My 2nd sister is hearing :).

I've been there, done that and got a lot of ugly remarks or being insulted just because I'm deaf.

My hearing cousin who is an interpreter was eating lunch with me one day at a restaurant and there were a group of people next to us laughing. They kept looking at us and something inside me told me that they were probably making some bad 'deaf' remarks.

So, I asked my cousin to see if she could overhear their conversation. By the look of her face while interpreting the conversation for me, She became infuriated and obviously I knew they were up to no good. She stood up and walked over to the table where they were sitting at and yelled at them. Of course the whole patrons at the restaurant turned their heads and that sure did put that group in line.

So, over through the years of seeing some 'signing' mocks from other people or getting insults, I've learned to approach it in a way where it usually makes them think and to realize that we are not dumb as they thought we are made to be.

I haven't insulted about being deaf since......when I was in 8th grade. A guy called me "three ears." Oh, boy, ain't I pissed off???? YES, I WAS. So, I walked up to him and about to punch him. But I didn't. He ran off. What a pussy, was he. Everybody saw me. They knew deaf guy know how to fight. So, no one insulted me since 2000.

I haven't insulted about being deaf since......when I was in 8th grade. A guy called me "three ears." Oh, boy, ain't I pissed off???? YES, I WAS. So, I walked up to him and about to punch him. But I didn't. He ran off. What a pussy, was he. Everybody saw me. They knew deaf guy know how to fight. So, no one insulted me since 2000.

LOL I did once happen. yeah right, what a wuss.

I am h/h and I have to endure the same snide remarks and jokes from my hearing co-workers. I just say " I have an I.Q. over 130, am bilingual and I can play guitar. What's YOUR excuse?" :cool:

LOVE THAT!!

I worked only with hearing until last year when I start work in my current job, I work closely with another HoH and we have a lot of fun talking about being Deafie/HoH.

She told me that one time she was shopping and lady behind her got real mad because my co-worker won't move. Came around the front and said "Are you retarded?" My co-worker replied "No I'm Deaf" answer back "Same thing".

OHHH I had PLENTY of times when I got called so many nasty names just because of my deafness growing up.

I got called

Deaf and Dumb

Deaf and Mute (I could speak well so who are the dumb ones? LOL)

Retard

Deaf Bitch

CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN UUUUUUUUUUUUUU REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDD MMMMMMYYYYYYY LLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPS?

The worst ones

Relay calls

Guess there are so many dumb and ignorant people out there and those are the ones who usually calls us dumb. Kinda ironic cuz they are dumb themselves. :ugh3:

The tidbit about: Cannn youuuuu readddd myyyy lipppsss has happen often, usually a person will talk normally and once they find out I'm HoH, that's when they shift gears in their voice box and slowlyyyyyy speak. Good grief.

In cases where I've made a relay call and the other person on the other end answers in ways like those described above and sometimes even screaming too, once they're done saying that and I'm able to catch them before they hang up (if hung up...I simply tell the relay operator to call back ;) ), I simply tell them that I'm just as human as they are, just basically have a 'special' need.....9 out 10 times, they'll be calmer and continue with the call. :)

~RR

Back