Ever been insulted for being deaf?

Oh come on DaddyBill! You can have a thicker skin than that (you'll need it around here anyhow). Apologies are much appreciated, especially when enlightenment follows. Go forth and sin no more! :giggle:

My Apologies to all for using a term that was deemed insensitive. I might suggest that such comebacks, be relayed through private messages instead of in public. Now, I find myself embarrassed by having a member correct me in public .. and another comment back to him... also in public.

I am a girl. :lol: And I only private message my best friends. Also even if someone kinder wanted to message you, you don't have enough posts for PM.

And usually, for things like that, I don't even say anything to the offender. I just message the mods and demand they be banned.

Since I see a little potential in you, I went for the kinder gentler way of just suggesting alternatives to slurs.

TY mb

TY for the advice ... "that I will need thicker skin around here.... ".

Guess I thought that my "thick skin" was something that I needed for the part of the world that doesn't get it.

So as a Newbie ... to both this forum, as well as dealing with Hearing Loss ... i will say thank you to all, and again my apologies.

Best wishes !!

Relay calls

"huh? What is this? Why do I have to talk to this?" "I dont need to talk to those people" and "Geez another one of those deaf mute people who cant talk..my gosh" and then hang up on me. I actually drove to one pizza place to confront the employees for making fun of me on the phone (thanks for the relay operator who relayed everything) and reported them to the manager. The manager suspended them without pay for a month. Lost wages, what a sweet revenge!

same thing happen to me when I call order pizza and delivery but somehow hang up. I said why hang up? Relay admit to me that they are make fun deaf people. I said what the fuck?. After that I drive there and I demand need talk to supervisor. I explained what happen. He said will take care of everything. In about two weeks later I going call again to see if improved or not. It is good enough it was much better. DAMN IT I hate peeps make fun on deaf or HOH.

Wait... they're make fun during their job? Not even make money? Hmm... Need to call to the high depart than just the manager itself.

TY for the advice ... "that I will need thicker skin around here.... ".

Guess I thought that my "thick skin" was something that I needed for the part of the world that doesn't get it.

So as a Newbie ... to both this forum, as well as dealing with Hearing Loss ... i will say thank you to all, and again my apologies.

Best wishes !!

That sounded like a departure.

Many people that come into AD without any exposure to Deaf culture do not realize that we have a culture that is very different form the hearing culture that we all live in. This is just culture shock. If DaddyBill sticks around for a while, he will start to see just how different our culture is and why we are proud to be a part of this unique culture. He too may come to be proud of this culture.

Of course, the choice is his.

My Apologies to all for using a term that was deemed insensitive. I might suggest that such comebacks, be relayed through private messages instead of in public. Now, I find myself embarrassed by having a member correct me in public .. and another comment back to him... also in public.

Don't take it so personally - you will find, if you stick around, that AD is very much like family. We call each other out when something inappropriate was said just like family members would do. It's not meant to be a personal attack against you or your character , just giving you heads up when something you say could be considered very offensive to some people here on AD.

That asides, the experiences you're having, we can relate! Welcome and stick around, you'll find that we're generally a friendly bunch.

He is not the only one that needs to grow a thick skin. People get offended all the time by certain words or post. :shrug:

I still have difficulty pronouncing some words such as Scaffolding, Dynamics, and Breakfast including amazon. And everytime i say those words, hearing people would laugh at me and ask me to say it again. I didn't want to and my friend kept pushing me to say it again and i said why, and he goes; "because i said so." and I refused and walked away.

Another thing i hate is when hearing people goes: CANNNNNNNN YOUUUUUUUUUUU HEARRRRRRRRR MEEEEEEEEE? my dad does that alot when he is in an bad mood. When he does that, I would do the same thing back and storm off in my room. Or i would just turn off my ears, because I refuse to be treated that way. In elementary school, kids would call me the girl with the weird ears, kids didn't want to come anywhere near me because of my HAs. I'm not an alien, i'm a human being with feelings for god sakes!

I still have difficulty pronouncing some words such as Scaffolding, Dynamics, and Breakfast including amazon. And everytime i say those words, hearing people would laugh at me and ask me to say it again. I didn't want to and my friend kept pushing me to say it again and i said why, and he goes; "because i said so." and I refused and walked away.

I have an awkward sense for perfect grammar. On one occasion as a child, a friend told me: "speak Swedish!" (I am Swedish). It is the weirdest joke I have ever heard and means something like "speak like we do", but I did not take any offense.

Another thing i hate is when hearing people goes: CANNNNNNNN YOUUUUUUUUUUU HEARRRRRRRRR MEEEEEEEEE? my dad does that alot when he is in an bad mood. When he does that, I would do the same thing back and storm off in my room. Or i would just turn off my ears, because I refuse to be treated that way. In elementary school, kids would call me the girl with the weird ears, kids didn't want to come anywhere near me because of my HAs. I'm not an alien, i'm a human being with feelings for god sakes!

Sometimes I wore ear plugs when my dad was driving. It is irritating to make an impression of listening when you cannot hear. He got angry sometimes but it was a personality streak and that justified my action.

Even though I was deaf, they still made me wear ear plugs when I worked at the Chicken plant.

so you can hear some therefore putting the earplugs would solve your time to deal with your dad. sorry.

I cannot hear if people are speaking words at the rate of a machine gun. Either I am taking in a discussion, or I am not. Having the entire family doing like that is quite tiring. I was referring to situations when going to our summer cottage by car (6h drive). It is so nice and 'comfy' with ear plugs in such cases. My dad first got angry, and then he got used to it. It was a win-win situation.

Even though I was deaf, they still made me wear ear plugs when I worked at the Chicken plant.

Same thing happened to me when I went to the shooting range. I said, look, no CI!!! didn't matter to them. sigh.

OH it happen to me many times when I was young. Moving from England to Biloxi MS was more of cultural shock, but not only that, it far worse than I can imagine.. segregation. I get poked, name calling, ripping my HA box out of my chest, and so on. Then I finally met a African American guy who was deaf. We get along very well but the biggest problem with southern state, I get beated up (brutal..yes) cuz I was hanging out with "black boy". I'm suppose to stay away from black friend and they gave me all the name calling shit.. since they know I'm too dumb to hang out with him. I was alone again... so we found a way that we can hanged out together in a secluded place, out deep in the forest, near the river where we can go fishing together, playing robots and such. We kept our secret for long time, and we keep our distance in school, acting as we are not friend. It was a tough time for me. Then when my family finally move again to MD, it gotten better. After 4 years living there, I decided to go visit Biloxi MS again and try to find my good friend. Then I discover one of my female friend told me that he died of drug overdose. I know that he also have difficult time of him being deaf, and along with segregation on top of it.
Now there's a good research paper right there, two minority groups, one boy is unlucky enough to have to deal with both. I'm sorry to hear your friend passed away, I wish you two could still be friends, I am sure that would have been a lifelong friendship for the both of you.

Same thing happened to me when I went to the shooting range. I said, look, no CI!!! didn't matter to them. sigh.

I told them.. and they said they did not want to be responsible for damaging any hearing I had left. So that is why they still made me wear ear plugs.

Back