English GRAMMAR

Our college provides free help with paper writing for all students. You might want to check on those resources. They are better than peer reviewers.
Yes, good advice here.

Not everyone attends a 2-year college just because they were rejected by another college. That's a fable. Many students specifically prefer a 2-year college, for a variety of reasons. On the other hand, some students pick colleges and universities that have snob appeal or help them delay growing up and living in the real world. There are all kinds of reasons for school choices, good and bad.

Yes. So?

A few might do that. Most don't.
that's how it is in here. we're a bunch of superficial snobby people :) because this is not a cheap state to live in. You'll need a college degree or professional certifications if you're gonna live decent around here or you'll be living in Newark crammed with 5+ people.

Honestly, if they weren't good enough for a "better" college the first time around, how is going to a lesser (in your opinion) college for a couple semesters going to improve their chances?
oh it does. it shows you have shown an improvement and seriousness. it's very common.

If people flunked out of school, then they go to CC to redeem themselves and they will get accepted to other school.
If people got rejected from handful of schools, then they go to CC to show a proof of improvement and willingness to study hard in order to get into school of their choice.
If people can't afford first 1-2 years of basic required courses, then they go to CC and have it transferred.

PolitiFact N.J.: Sheila Oliver claims NJ has the 'most educated' residents in the nation | NJ.com
For all those who may say New Jersey has a problem with adequately educating its residents, Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver has some news for you: the Garden State is home to the "most educated" people in the nation.

Oliver, the leading Democrat in the Assembly, made that claim during a Feb. 27 speech at the Rebovich Institute for New Jersey Politics at Rider University.

"And, I’m gonna get into the subject of education in a moment, but I want to tell you New Jersey has the most educated population of all the states in this country," Oliver told the audience. "And we need to stop this self-fulfilling efficacy that we’ve got a problem when it comes to adequately educating people in our state."

PolitiFact New Jersey found that Oliver's claim is not far off. According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, New Jersey ranked fifth among the states in recent years for the percentage of its population, 25 years old and over, with at least a bachelor's degree.

10146425-small.jpg

PolitiFact New Jersey | Sheila Oliver claims New Jerseyans are the
Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver is tired of hearing people suggest that New Jersey has a problem of adequately educating its residents.

In fact, according to Oliver, New Jerseyans are the "most educated" in the nation.

The Essex County Democrat extolled the virtues of the Garden State during a Feb. 27 speech at the Rebovich Institute for New Jersey Politics at Rider University.

"New Jersey is a great place. We probably have the best strategic position on the East Coast. We have so many natural assets," Oliver told the audience. "And, I’m gonna get into the subject of education in a moment, but I want to tell you New Jersey has the most educated population of all the states in this country. And we need to stop this self-fulfilling efficacy that we’ve got a problem when it comes to adequately educating people in our state."

Oliver’s claim about us having the "most educated population of all the states" is not far off, PolitiFact New Jersey found.

In recent years, New Jersey has stood in fifth place among the states for the percentage of its residents, 25 years old and over, who have at least a bachelor’s degree, according to data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

First, let’s explain the source of Oliver’s statement.

To back up the claim, Oliver spokesman Tom Hester Jr. cited various education statistics, including a 2009 news article by U.S. News & World Report about, in part, New Jersey having the highest high school graduation rate in 2006.

He also cited a Huffington Post article that claimed the state ranked sixth for the percentage of adults between 25 and 34 years old with college degrees.

"New Jersey has the nation’s highest high school graduation rate and ranks at the very top in student achievement and college graduation rates," Hester said in an email. "Quite simply, the Speaker believes that when you combine it all together, NJ has the most educated population."

But two experts told us the best measure to determine the "most educated" states is the educational attainment data compiled by the census bureau.

Through a spokesman, Thomas Snyder, director of Annual Reports for the National Center for Education Statistics at the U.S. Department of Education, said in an e-mail: "I believe the educational attainment data are the most relevant for this question."

David Bills, an associate professor at the University of Iowa’s College of Education, agreed that the educational attainment data is the "best available measure."

"I’d call it the best available measure, with the main problem being that many people complete their education after age 25, so this measure will underestimate how many people will eventually get degrees," Bills said in an e-mail. "Not everyone over age 25 has completed their schooling."

Now, let’s explain how many New Jersey residents have college degrees.

In 2009, 34.5 percent of New Jerseyans, 25 years old and over, had at least a bachelor’s degree, according to the census bureau. In 2010, 35.4 percent of state residents fit the same criteria, according to the census bureau.

In both years, New Jersey was in fifth place behind Massachusetts, Colorado, Maryland and Connecticut. Even after accounting for the margins of error attached to those statistics, New Jersey doesn’t place first.

So, New Jersey may not have the "most educated" population, but it certainly has one of them.

Our ruling

In a speech at Rider University, Oliver claimed "New Jersey has the most educated population of all the states in this country."

According to educational attainment data from the U.S. Census Bureau, her claim is pretty much on target. In 2009 and 2010, New Jersey ranked fifth for the percentage of its population, 25 years old and over, who have at least a bachelor’s degree.

We rate the statement Mostly True.

:hmm:

but yea - that's how it is in here. no college? no life. it's impossible to live decently in NJ unless you either have a college degree or professional certification. some gets lucky without those. it's a brutal pressure.

Wirelessly posted

You can get through college without grammar skills. Most students have someone proof read their papers. To be fair, it is hard enough to learn what college teaches without relearning or learning grammar, but, really, nobody is going to proof read for you after college so it is just going to bite you in the azz first job you get.

PolitiFact N.J.: Sheila Oliver claims NJ has the 'most educated' residents in the nation | NJ.com

PolitiFact New Jersey | Sheila Oliver claims New Jerseyans are the

:hmm:

but yea - that's how it is in here. no college? no life. it's impossible to live decently in NJ unless you either have a college degree or professional certification. some gets lucky without those. it's a brutal pressure.
Does this mean that NJ also has the lowest unemployment rate?

Do even the peons who serve those educated scions have degrees?

Yet, people in NJ can't pump their own gas? :lol:

Wirelessly posted

You can get through college without grammar skills. Most students have someone proof read their papers.
That's true but that doesn't help when you have in-class writing assignments.

To the OP:

I even noticed a number of grammatical errors in your post. If you do not brush up your writing skills, how else would the employers hire you?

I'm sorry to say this bluntly, but welcome to the real world already. Like what Reba said about deaf students whining about reading the textbook and doing the assignments, I have to say that is the most common and typical thing they do before AND after graduating HS at the state schools for the deaf. They get "pity" grades in HS and then enter NTID/RIT or Gally (or any college/uni) with the expectation of getting "pity" grades there. Well, tough shit. Hell, there are some deafies with reading and writing skills 2 to 6 or more YEARS behind their expected HS freshman level and the end result is them receiving only certificates and not real HS diplomas.

Another perfect example would be the job-searching sites. If you submit a resume and cover letter plagued with grammatical and spelling errors, the employers that look at your 2 papers would just skip yours and move on to the next potential employee. And, don't refute on that via coming up with a cop-out like the recruiter assistance with your errors - you can't rely on them for proofreading. Suppose that the employers see your resume and cover letter that's edited by your recruiter and then hire you but later on see your REAL work (the errors), they will probably either demote you or fire you.

By the way, when I did the case study for my capstone class (it's a college senior level class culminating all the skills or knowledge you have from your previous courses of your major and applying it to that capstone class, be it either psychology, sociology or whatever course that's available in the list of courses you pick - I picked Work, Employment and Society), I interviewed a friend that works at a large corporation. I asked him this question:

"As an employer (or imagining yourself as one), what are your expectations in communication competence – reading, writing, speaking, and listening?"

His answer is a very elaborative, well-thought one:

"I have a very high expectation of communication competency levels. An associate is a direct extension of the company, therefore high competencies in these areas allow an associate to best portray the professionalism and dedication expected of him/her, and are crucial in successfully addressing varied situations and tasks at hand. Listening (to others!) is a very underrated competence in the consulting genre when dealing with clients!"

You see? I'm sorry to tell you this, but I do NOT pity on deafies that get caught flat-footed. You have NO idea how extremely important the reading, writing and comprehension skills are.

(Sorry for being wordy, but I'm getting my point across.)

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

You can get through college without grammar skills. Most students have someone proof read their papers. To be fair, it is hard enough to learn what college teaches without relearning or learning grammar, but, really, nobody is going to proof read for you after college so it is just going to bite you in the azz first job you get.
Maybe. It depends on what you study. A lot of my professors would not let students get away with lousy grammar.

My personal opinion about CC/JC's vs State vs public universities:

- Community College consists of the most instructor-student interaction. TA's are generally nonexistent except mostly in science-based lab instruction. This greatly benefits students who are trying to get used to one instructor's style, such as a deaf person in the class. The upsides are low cost, better understanding of the material, real student and instructor interaction (people are really learning). The only downsides I can think of are less course choices and you might have some unfavorable classmates.

- State universities are the blend between CC's and prestigious universities, it offers more instruction in fields not available at a CC, at the expense of more student enrollment.

- Public/Private universities hold the highest prestige, as well as famous and reknown staff. But it's really hard to get in touch with them and the instructor-student interaction is nearly nonexistent. Professors treat you like you are invisible. Not surprised when the lectures consist of instructor:student ratio of 1:200+.
The greatest positive point is that they have all the specialized courses. It sucks when you realize you want to be a scientist and the CC and State schools don't offer that Molecular Virology or Soil Agriculture courses, some examples of classes you can't receive anywhere else. The downside is you're really on your own, nobody really cares about you and your progression (generally speaking) and you gotta get a scholarship or you're getting a hefty loan over your head.

Does this mean that NJ also has the lowest unemployment rate?

Do even the peons who serve those educated scions have degrees?

Yet, people in NJ can't pump their own gas? :lol:

That's a good question...

...I'm sorry to say this bluntly, but welcome to the real world already. Like what Reba said about deaf students whining about reading the textbook and doing the assignments....
Correction: I didn't say that deaf students whine; hearing students whine, too. :)

I guess it varies by state. In my state, you have to take SAT/ACT, or placement exam in addition to being a high school grad.

My husband has a bachelor's degree and is going back to college to become a special ed teacher. He is starting at the local community college, and he also had to take the placement exam.
He will have to take the 'special' math class, which doesn't count toward his GPA or his diploma.

I think if you have special needs you can ask for some concessions (if you are ADHD, for instance, I don't think you have to have a time limit for the test), but I am not 100% sure.

My husband has a bachelor's degree and is going back to college to become a special ed teacher. He is starting at the local community college, and he also had to take the placement exam.
He will have to take the 'special' math class, which doesn't count toward his GPA or his diploma.
I am surprised that someone with a degree has to take a placement exam. My Hubby had to take one because he didn't have a degree. I didn't have to take one because I do have a degree. Maybe it was an additional requirement due to his major? Some majors have stricter requirements.

I think if you have special needs you can ask for some concessions (if you are ADHD, for instance, I don't think you have to have a time limit for the test), but I am not 100% sure.
Yes, time limit accommodations are available for student with documented special needs. Another accommodation is allowing them to take tests in private soundproof rooms in the testing center, to reduce distractions.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If your degree is more than 10years old &/ or not in a "teachable" you often have to start from scratch.

For example, none of my theology/sem courses are considered "teachable" so if I wanted to go into Ed., I'd have to start from scratch taking 4years worth of study, rather than a 2 year post-degree program.

This is very old info and may well not apply anymore. But, when I decided to finish my General Studies AA degree in 1994 I got credit for 30 odd year old courses (such as accounting) because I had been using it in my job.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If your degree is more than 10years old &/ or not in a "teachable" you often have to start from scratch.

For example, none of my theology/sem courses are considered "teachable" so if I wanted to go into Ed., I'd have to start from scratch taking 4years worth of study, rather than a 2 year post-degree program.
Ah, I see. It's a requirement for the teaching field. My bachelor's (1982) is in political science (minor, religion), and I'm going back for an AAS in computer technology, so there was very little I could transfer, too. I get to transfer my English, math, and humanities credits but none of my computer or political science credits. My other associate degrees were liberal arts (1978) and ASL interpreting (2000), so nothing transferable there either.

The tech college accepted 91 credits from my transcripts but only 9 applied to my degree, so those are the ones that count. :lol:

I checked out various master's programs but none were in fields I was really interested in, as far as actually getting a job. Of course, a master's would have been more prestigious than another associate's but I'd rather be employed with a tech degree than unemployed with a master's. :giggle:

My interpreting degree kept me employed for 12 years but it's not steady enough. I love interpreting but I've got to be realistic about my finances. :(

Last edited:
My interpreting degree kept me employed for 12 years but it's not steady enough. I love interpreting but I've got to be realistic about my finances. :(

that's exactly what I told my friends wanting to be a terp :(

that's exactly what I told my friends wanting to be a terp :(
It does depend on where the terp lives. It's just in my area, I'm not getting much work.

A lot of my former freelance work has been taken over by a large, multi-state agency. When my contract at the college runs out next year, it won't be renewed. That agency offered to hire me but I have my reasons for not taking them up on that offer. Besides, it would be crazy to continue doing the same work for half the pay.

For younger terps starting out, there are more possibilities, especially if they're interested in VRS or traveling.

I'll continue interpreting for church and if something pops up but I'm not going to depend on it for a full-time career.

Back