English GRAMMAR

In my state, the prospective student has to have either passing SAT scores, a college transcript, or take the placement exam. There is no other way in.

From the college website:

"Submit the following in addition to your Application:
- Qualifying ACT, SAT, transcripts of previous college coursework or [college name] COMPASS Placement Test"

Hubby had to take the placement test, and he's 59 years old. What do you call a "certain" age?

That is interesting, I would think the community college schools would also have some non credit classes to get students up to bring people up to speed instead of barring them so perhaps placement test just means, "you need to take these courses first"?

I know people who had to go through algebra before taking college classes, but they were still enrolled.

Certain age would be, I imagine, "not in the SAT pool" so they don't compete with kids coming out high school. I'm not sure, but perhaps one or two years out of high school? I went to college after five years of non-schooling and didn't have to take SATs. However, I did have to take basic courses to get up to speed.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Again, I've had the same experience in the USA and Canada. You either take the SAT (21and under) or take the placement test.

In fact even if you already have a degree, if it's been more than 10years, they make you retake a placement test.
When I first started attending college, if a student enrolled part time without a designated major, one could get in without taking an SAT or placement test. Of course, that was 1970, so I'm sure things have changed since then. :lol:

I got my AA (liberal arts) in 1978, my BS (political science) in 1982, and my associate's degree in interpreting in 2000. I'm now working on an AAS in computer technology. My current college so far has accepted 91 of my transcript hours but only 9 can be applied to my current degree requirements. Obviously, my transcript credits are all over 10 years old.

I think it depends on the type of credits that are accepted over certain time limits. That is, computer course credits would "expire" quicker than English comp ones. For example, my English, math, and humanities courses transferred but my computer courses did not.

People seem to think that post secondary education is a "right" just like K-12 education.
I've noticed that, too. Some students act like college is just a couple extra years of high school.

...you have to meet certain academic standards to attend post secondary education and not everyone is able to meet those standards.
What's sad is when they finally realize that their high school didn't prepare them for a college education . . . and I mean even students who had all A's and B's in high school.

You wouldn't believe the whining that goes on. "You mean, you actually expect me to read the text book assignments and do the homework? Just because I missed half the classes you're giving me a zero for class participation? What, we can't use Wiki for our research papers? Unfair!"

In my state, the prospective student has to have either passing SAT scores, a college transcript, or take the placement exam. There is no other way in.

From the college website:

"Submit the following in addition to your Application:
- Qualifying ACT, SAT, transcripts of previous college coursework or [college name] COMPASS Placement Test"

That's quite interesting. Perhaps it works in my state differently. The community colleges, at least the ones I'm aware of don't require SAT/ACT to be taken or any of that at all. All (many) of them participate in a joint assist program for eligibilty of transfer to higher institutions in the state.
The only major, or minor depending on how you see it, requirement is that you at least completed high school or have a GED diploma.

For the entrance exams, you take the assessment and if one scores poorly, they end up starting at a remedial level such as "Math 1", "English 1" instead of the traditional 100/101/200 etc. The remedial courses don't transfer for higher institution or other school credit, but they are part of the GPA of that school if you plan on getting a degree from the college.

In order to attend college, one would have a good grammar skill. Am I wrong?

I know that deaf students (who have a poor grammar skill) are admitted by NTID but I don't know about other colleges.

no you don't need a good grammar skill to get in. just a minimum.

That is interesting, I would think the community college schools would also have some non credit classes to get students up to bring people up to speed instead of barring them so perhaps placement test just means, "you need to take these courses first"?
Yes, they can take non-credit "developmental" courses in math and English, at their own expense, in order to meet the requirements. (I mentioned that in a previous post.)

Certain age would be, I imagine, "not in the SAT pool" so they don't compete with kids coming out high school. I'm not sure, but perhaps one or two years out of high school? I went to college after five years of non-schooling and didn't have to take SATs. However, I did have to take basic courses to get up to speed.
If you didn't take any tests, SAT or placement, how did they or you know that you had to "take basic courses to get up to speed?" That is, what did they base that on?

Hubby graduated from high school in 1970, had taken a few college courses over the years, and he still had to take the placement exam (not SAT) this year.

If anyone wants to know for sure what the requirements are, the best thing to do is to look on the college's website. There's no need to guess. :)

CaliforniaColleges.edu - Admission Requirements

Admission Requirements - California Residents
Admission to any of California's 112 community colleges is simple. You will be admitted to the community college of your choice if you meet at least one of the following conditions:

You are 18 years of age or older, with or without a high school diploma
You are a high school graduate
You have the equivalent of a high school diploma

I guess that's how it works for my home state, is this not the same for the others?

Wait, are we still talking about community colleges?

I was under the impression that many CC's would grant acceptance to anyone without provisional conditions. If an applicant scored poorly (or very well) on the placement examinations, they would be moved to the equivalent course the admissions would decide on.

I think you might have confused between non-degree and degree students. Anybody can sign up for CC course as part of continuing ed or non-credit or similar. But to apply for CC to get a degree... yea that's a different story.

I think you might have confused between non-degree and degree students. Anybody can sign up for CC course as part of continuing ed or non-credit or similar. But to apply for CC to get a degree... yea that's a different story.

Does NJ accept students if they haven't taken the SAT/ACT or score poorly on the entrance exams?

It looks like NJ has the same requirements as CA when I just looked up Atlantic Cape CC:
Admission to Atlantic Cape - Atlantic Cape
Who Can Be Admitted?

Atlantic Cape Community College accepts all students who meet the following admission requirements, regardless of gender, race, creed or national origin.

Students who are 18 years of age and older
Students who hold a high school diploma or equivalency certificate (GED) from an accredited secondary school

CaliforniaColleges.edu - Admission Requirements

I guess that's how it works for my home state, is this not the same for the others?

I clicked on random California community college

Admissions Procedure
Prospective students who desire to attend Allan Hancock College must meet academic requirements. Allan Hancock College will admit any individual possessing a high school diploma or the equivalent or any individual who is at least 18 years of age and capable of profiting from the instruction offered. Individuals under eighteen years of age who do not have a high school diploma or the equivalent may be admitted to the college under the College Now! program. The College Now! program is available for concurrently enrolled high school juniors and seniors who have met specific eligibility requirements. Concurrent enrollment is limited to students who are enrolled in Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo county high schools and who reside in Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo county.

HOW TO APPLY and ENROLL: Los Angeles City College
3. ASSESSMENT TESTING:
Assessment testing is required for all students who wish to enroll in English and/or math classes but have not completed a college English or math placement exam or course. Students can schedule an assessment test appointment through the Assessment Center website or in person in room AD 103. Please see the Assessment Center website for more information.

4. PREREQUISITE CLEARANCE:
A prerequisite is a course you are required to pass with a grade of C or better before you will be allowed to enroll in the next level. You may clear prerequisites through the English and Math Assessment exam or by showing proof of prerequisites completed at other colleges. Prerequisites completed at another college must be approved by the Counseling Office. An official or unofficial transcript is required for this purpose. Please see the class schedule for a listing of prerequisites.

yea that is a typical requirement for all accredited colleges.

Yes, they can take non-credit "developmental" courses in math and English, at their own expense, in order to meet the requirements. (I mentioned that in a previous post.)

If you didn't take any tests, SAT or placement, how did they or you know that you had to "take basic courses to get up to speed?" That is, what did they base that on?

Hubby graduated from high school in 1970, had taken a few college courses over the years, and he still had to take the placement exam (not SAT) this year.

If anyone wants to know for sure what the requirements are, the best thing to do is to look on the college's website. There's no need to guess. :)

In my case, I actually took those courses before starting my degree because I knew I needed them. So, at that point, perhaps the placement test was moot. I don't think I took a test, but I can't remember now as it has been almost 20 years. I do know that I did not take any SATs.

That's quite interesting. Perhaps it works in my state differently. The community colleges, at least the ones I'm aware of don't require SAT/ACT to be taken or any of that at all. All (many) of them participate in a joint assist program for eligibilty of transfer to higher institutions in the state.
The only major, or minor depending on how you see it, requirement is that you at least completed high school or have a GED diploma.
Yes, our colleges also require a high school diploma or GED. But they still also require either SAT/ACT or placement exam.

The only exception is that some high school students can begin taking college classes while they're still in high school. I don't know all the details of eligibility for that program.

For the entrance exams, you take the assessment and if one scores poorly, they end up starting at a remedial level such as "Math 1", "English 1" instead of the traditional 100/101/200 etc. The remedial courses don't transfer or higher institution for other school credit, but they are part of the GPA of that school if you plan on getting a degree from the college.
At our colleges, they're no longer called "remedial" but "developmental."

Here, they don't get college credit for them. They get a pass or fail grade, which doesn't count on the GPA.

In order to attend college, one would have a good grammar skill. Am I wrong?

I know that deaf students (who have a poor grammar skill) are admitted by NTID but I don't know about other colleges.

And HOH students.

yup. if they can't get into "good schools", they'll just end up at Community College :aw:
"End up" at community college?

There are plenty of good 2-year colleges. They aren't dumping grounds for people who don't go to Ivy League or top tier universities. Not every career requires a graduate degree or "name" college for success.

There are plenty of good 2-year colleges. They aren't dumping grounds for people who don't go to Ivy League or top tier universities. Not every career requires a graduate degree or "name" college for success.

Not just that, but it can save students a lot if money if they did their general education units at a community college.

There are plenty of hearing students who also need help with their English reading and writing skills.

Apparently, even with all the journal writing that high schoolers do now :)roll:), they still lack critical reading skills, and logical, comprehensible composition skills.

that's if they got rejected from state colleges or lower tier colleges like Rowan University. that's why lot of Rutgers University students are furious at Governor Christie for wanting to merge Rutgers University with Rowan University :ugh:

Recall a shouting match between former Navy SEAL and Governor Christie? Gov. Chris Christie Calls Veteran An 'Idiot' In Shouting Match

anyway... around here, rejects go to community college to take courses for a semester or two and then try again to better colleges. works well that way. but as I have gotten older and I've taken several courses at CC, I find its education quality quite a high at low cost.

that's if they got rejected from state colleges or lower tier colleges like Rowan University. that's why lot of Rutgers University students are furious at Governor Christie for wanting to merge Rutgers University with Rowan University :ugh:
Not everyone attends a 2-year college just because they were rejected by another college. That's a fable. Many students specifically prefer a 2-year college, for a variety of reasons. On the other hand, some students pick colleges and universities that have snob appeal or help them delay growing up and living in the real world. There are all kinds of reasons for school choices, good and bad.

Recall a shouting match between former Navy SEAL and Governor Christie? Gov. Chris Christie Calls Veteran An 'Idiot' In Shouting Match
Yes. So?

anyway... rejects go to community college to take courses for a semester or two and then try again to better colleges. works well that way.
A few might do that. Most don't.

Honestly, if they weren't good enough for a "better" college the first time around, how is going to a lesser (in your opinion) college for a couple semesters going to improve their chances?

Back