Encourage Rosetta Stone to make ASL product

Another possibility would be if someone at RIT or Gallaudet that is working with software design could show them how to do it. Then release the language pack as a class project using a Open license for anyone that already has the RS client. Also send it to RS themselves to show them how to do it.

I am sure the instructors at both of these High ed locations would love to help spread the language of ASL. And besides, I know of schools in my area that uses RS for as study guides and teachers of the language that use it in the classrooms as interactive tools. I do not see why it could not be used to help the Deaf community to teach as a aid to the general public or used as a home school tool.

Just a thought.

i'm pretty sure an ASL course would be cheaper than rosetta stone!

Checked out the ASL classes at the local community college and they run about $450 a semester plus books. Get's pretty pricey.

There's a ton of demand for ASL.

It's a no brainer since ASL is rocketing up to the top few most popular languages in the USA.

Checked out the ASL classes at the local community college and they run about $450 a semester plus books. Get's pretty pricey.

The ASL course at the local Community College here in town: ASL 1 - $168.68 plus book. ASL 2 - $168.68 plus books (plural) and ASL 3 - $168.68 plus books and additional fee if you want a certificate that you took course. That's per semester.

The ASL course at the local Community College here in town: ASL 1 - $168.68 plus book. ASL 2 - $168.68 plus books (plural) and ASL 3 - $168.68 plus books and additional fee if you want a certificate that you took course. That's per semester.

It's too high. I want to take the classes because it's better to learn in a group but I can't afford all that. Sheesh!!!

It's too high. I want to take the classes because it's better to learn in a group but I can't afford all that. Sheesh!!!

I too want to take classes and I can't afford those prices either. Luckily I will be getting help through the deaf social club and am on a waiting list with a local agency for classes for no cost.

I too want to take classes and I can't afford those prices either. Luckily I will be getting help through the deaf social club and am on a waiting list with a local agency for classes for no cost.

Glenn's teaching me and I have books and flash cards to help. My step-monster never wanted to learn ASL so we had our own homespeak but it doesn't translate well.

For me, ASL1 is 246 plus a $20 fee, ASL2 the same. My local Community college caps out at ASL 2 so any more then that I would have to look elsewhere. I have also read in the local paper that both are under review to be removed. Yes, it costs a bit, but the chance to work with a pro would seem worth it. Sadly the times that the have for classes do not mix well with my work schedule, but I hope that I can work something out. For now, it is lifeprint.com and video chat. I am going to a meet & Greet with the local signing club on Saturday, hope to meet some local people in the Deaf community. I have also looked into the local school for the deaf, and other nearby groups like the Deaf History Museum in a nearby town. I would say the avg cost is about $70-$300..

Back