Elderly women forced to live in garage

That's so sad. And with two spare bedrooms. :(

I was thinking she might have Alzheimer's and they thought she would mess up their home. Plus the money too of course.

Elder abuse is rampant....my own choice, whenever I become too old to care for myself, is Assisted Living, in an apartment. Not saying that I would not trust my children to "take care of me"....I just feel they deserve their own lives.

When my mother had her won apartment and my brother and his family (wife and 2 children) moved in with her, they did not allow her to use any room except for the kitchen (only when they were not using it which wasn't often and her bedroom and the bathroom). That's why she moved out and moved in with me and my hubby. She contacted her landlord and cancelled the rental agreement. My brother is still angry with her about that. My other brother agreed that he would not be good at helping my mother since he is so busy and his wife and kids don't really like my mother. She has lived with me for the last 17.5 years. We have had good and bad times and still things are okay. We now live with my MIL, but that will change soon. It does take a special kind of person to take care of their parents and still make them feel like decent human beings. I know that I was brought up to be caring and that at some point I would need to help both my parents. Sadly, my father died too soon and on the day of his funeral, my brother (the younger of the 2) told my mother, "Now that dad is gone, we need to put you in a nursing home for your own good." Mom had no problems then excepts for her Hep C. It was a new problem. She was working full time and very active and social. She drover herself everywhere. She was only 51 at the time.

Something like this article really ticks me off and I don't understand people like that. I mean, for G*d's sake, they are parents of one of them.

Elder abuse is rampant....my own choice, whenever I become too old to care for myself, is Assisted Living, in an apartment. Not saying that I would not trust my children to "take care of me"....I just feel they deserve their own lives.

I was a health aid and I rather be dead before I go into any Assisted Living or nursing home! The government is cutting back on benefits for the elderly
and this mean you will not get all the care you will need in Assisted Living housing. When I first became a health aid my clients got 2 hours of help , the time was cut down to one and a half hour for some clients and I had one client that was allowed 15 minutes of my time! WTF can you do in 15 minutes ! By the time you did your paper work you had 13 minutes! I had to work in an Assisted Living house for one day and I can see the heath aids getting burned out real fast. I had to bathe, dress and bring my 4 clients to the table to eat. Then set the table then go made their bed! I do not want some burned out person taking care of me

most likely to collect $$$$

it still is considered as a revenage. Either the mom wasn't nice to the boy for years now the boy become a man to revenage her. That was wrong. The boy needs to grow up yet he's a man already. He should send her to the home nurse and let them handle her, and forget her without visiting. Simple as that! the wife definintely have heartless.

When my mother had her won apartment and my brother and his family (wife and 2 children) moved in with her, they did not allow her to use any room except for the kitchen (only when they were not using it which wasn't often and her bedroom and the bathroom). That's why she moved out and moved in with me and my hubby. She contacted her landlord and cancelled the rental agreement. My brother is still angry with her about that. My other brother agreed that he would not be good at helping my mother since he is so busy and his wife and kids don't really like my mother. She has lived with me for the last 17.5 years. We have had good and bad times and still things are okay. We now live with my MIL, but that will change soon. It does take a special kind of person to take care of their parents and still make them feel like decent human beings. I know that I was brought up to be caring and that at some point I would need to help both my parents. Sadly, my father died too soon and on the day of his funeral, my brother (the younger of the 2) told my mother, "Now that dad is gone, we need to put you in a nursing home for your own good." Mom had no problems then excepts for her Hep C. It was a new problem. She was working full time and very active and social. She drover herself everywhere. She was only 51 at the time.

Something like this article really ticks me off and I don't understand people like that. I mean, for G*d's sake, they are parents of one of them.

Sorry to say this Kristina...but ur brother sounds heartless...actually, I would disown my brother if he said something like this! And to think ur mother was only 51 years old at the time....still many more good years to live.

"Young" people do not think about ageing themselves....but believe me, it's just around the cornor....time flies so fast, even I am amazed at it....I've never had to care for my elderly parents, (both of them are deceased, when I was young)....I have 2 friends, both in their 70's, who do well taking care of each other....and I'm right across the street if I'm needed....Have a brother that is in his 70's also, lives alone, and will not accept any help whatsoever.

There comes a time, when everyone needs a little help. The elderly are reluctant to "ask" for anything or very much, it's up to us to offer that help, regardless, even give it, from our hearts, knowing that one day, we (ourselves) are gonna need the same thing!....Bless you for taking care of ur mother!

This is obscenely disgusting. I do not like my mother, she has not treated me well, but if she needed care I would no more put her in a basement than I would put my children in one in the middle of winter!! That poor woman deserved at least the minimum of human care, a warm home, food, clean water, a toilet, clothes and access to medical care. No matter what we may do, everyone deserves the basics.

Your brother has to be a friend of my ex brother! He is an ASSHOLE too! What your brother done was elderly abuse and he could gone to jail for it! If I will written up and anyone did that to me their name would be taken out of my will! I would had called the cops and had the jerk removed from my home!

:shock: 51? Nursing Home? For goodness sake! I'm a bit older than that and I don't anticipage needed "assistive" living for quite some time. Then again, my youngest is still in high school, so not likely she'll kick me out yet. :lol: Both of my girls are already "pledging" to take care of me in my "old" age since my husband passed away a little over a year ago.

:shock: 51? Nursing Home? For goodness sake! I'm a bit older than that and I don't anticipage needed "assistive" living for quite some time. Then again, my youngest is still in high school, so not likely she'll kick me out yet. :lol: Both of my girls are already "pledging" to take care of me in my "old" age since my husband passed away a little over a year ago.
Yeah, 51 for a nursing home shocked me, too. I passed that age a long time ago, and I'm nowhere near needing assisted living. :cool2:

Yeah, 51 for a nursing home shocked me, too. I passed that age a long time ago, and I'm nowhere near needing assisted living. :cool2:

I am almost there (3 more years) and am in worse shape than she was then. My brother was heartless and still can be. I do know that at the time he had a severe alcohol problem. He has now been dry (or so he claims) for 6 years. I will believe that when I can see proof. He has gone dry and relapsed more times than I can count. Mt MIL has said that while she appreciates all we have done for the last 2 years and will do this next year, she does not plan on having us take care of her. She already has a paid plan for nursing home care and will make sure my kids and hubby get some of her income as well. She has said that I have too much to do now with my mother's care and my daughter's issues.

I was a health aid and I rather be dead before I go into any Assisted Living or nursing home! The government is cutting back on benefits for the elderly
and this mean you will not get all the care you will need in Assisted Living housing. When I first became a health aid my clients got 2 hours of help , the time was cut down to one and a half hour for some clients and I had one client that was allowed 15 minutes of my time! WTF can you do in 15 minutes ! By the time you did your paper work you had 13 minutes! I had to work in an Assisted Living house for one day and I can see the heath aids getting burned out real fast. I had to bathe, dress and bring my 4 clients to the table to eat. Then set the table then go made their bed! I do not want some burned out person taking care of me

My parents live in an assisted living center, and though I agree about the frequent lack of quality care, they do not use health aides or volunteers. The staff are licensed professionals and they still cringe when they see me. :lol:

My dad and his wife did not treat me good when I was young, but I wouldn't be doing to them what the couple in the OP's article did to their mother. That is horrible! I don't even want to be around them due to the abuse from them when I was younger and because I can't stand to be around them, so I will simply opt out of taking care of them when they are older and need it. I will leave the care up to my stepsisters. They can decide what is the best for our parents.

I have no plans to go into a nursing home or an assisted live apartment when I become elderly, no way! I plan to live on my own until the day I die! I would rather die than live in a nursing home or an assisted living apartment - I don't trust the staff that are supposed to care for elderly people at all. I hear about abuse in nursing homes and assisted living centers all the time and that scares me! Besides, I cherish my independence and freedom!

Last edited:

I agree - 51 is quite rather too young to go into a nursing home. My dad is in his early 50s and he is still working as a firefighter! He still has many good golden years left! I don't know about his wife though - she has a brain tumor and Chiari's Malformation - but I assume he will be taking care of her and has been doing that for a few years now.

That's horrible what this couple did to their mother. It is heartbreaking. Just as heartbreaking as parents abusing children.

I know that someday my two brothers and I will be responsible for the care of my mom sometime within the next 30 years or so. I hope my kids will not do this to me when I am unable to take care of myself.

I agree, this breaks my heart. I can't even begin to imagine a child that would do that to their own parent! Not to mention a child had to watch their own grandparent suffer!

Back