Easter story (positive CI story warning)

neecy

Reaction score
Easter story (removed, sorry)

happy CI story removed.

Last edited:
neecy said:
Last night, my boyfriend's mother (whom I have never met, and who is in New York) called me to wish me Happy Easter. It was the first time I'd spoken to her on the phone and it was an amazing experince. After we chatted for half an hour, I hung up and just sat quietly for a few minutes. This kind of event wouldn't have been possible a year ago, before my CI...and yet here I am using the phone, really understanding and being able to share an Easter greeting with somebody I've never MET yet, and have never even had the chance to "get to know" their voice.

It was wonderful.

I'm glad that you are happy. But the way you said in your post can hurt other deaf people because some people can not get the CI because of not qualify for that, I know few of my friends had CI but it failed them. So, I think it is for the best if you would just be quiet and not to post it here. Just humble rather than bragging. Anyhow, I'm glad it worked for you. Good luck with your CI.

Momoftwo said:
I'm glad that you are happy. But the way you said in your post can hurt other deaf people because some people can not get the CI because of not qualify for that, I know few of my friends had CI but it failed them. So, I think it is for the best if you would just be quiet and not to post it here. Just humble rather than bragging. Anyhow, I'm glad it worked for you. Good luck with your CI.

So I'm getting the impression (repeatedly) that this forum is only for those who are against CI's or those who have CI's but they aren't allowed to talk about their experiences with them? I can't afford to buy a sidekick but I'm not going to tell those who have great experiences using them that they can't talk about it cuz it might hurt my feelings.

*sigh* never mind. I get it. I'll remove my story and my positive-type posts on the board so not to offend any anti CI members here. (Which I tried- apparently you can't remove old post as I tried removing my CI experience story and several other "positive" type posts but the edit function is gone from older posts. I'll simply keep happy experiences to myself)

So much for free speech huh?

neecy said:
So I'm getting the impression (repeatedly) that this forum is only for those who are against CI's or those who have CI's but they aren't allowed to talk about their experiences with them? I can't afford to buy a sidekick but I'm not going to tell those who have great experiences using them that they can't talk about it cuz it might hurt my feelings.

*sigh* never mind. I get it. I'll remove my story so not to offend any anti CI members here.

I can understand what you mean but you know talking about how well their CIs can hurt their feelings. My friend almost died from CI in 4 years ago and when she hears other people who are successful with their CIs and how well they can hear on the phone and so forth, it really hurts her badly. Those people simply bragged and have high prides.

It's a very sensitive issue.

By the way, I am not against CI. I have no interest in getting a CI - too much work - seeing a doctor, arrange, making appt, operation, pain, hearing test, practice on listening and speech skills, and so forth. I don't have time for that. I have a husband and two children. If I go thru this, it will be all over again like since I was little. All I want is to focus on my family, enjoy, etc. For you, it is your choice and you have a big interest on hearing the sounds which is a very important part of your life and that's fine with me. I have nothing to against the CI. CI simply isn't for me.

neecy said:

*sigh* never mind. I get it. I'll remove my story and my positive-type posts on the board so not to offend any anti CI members here. (Which I tried- apparently you can't remove old post as I tried removing my CI experience story and several other "positive" type posts but the edit function is gone from older posts. I'll simply keep happy experiences to myself)

Remember, you cannot please anyone. I have a CI and I know that some people are going to take offense if I tell them my positive stories so I remain mum about my experiences. But do remember that you have a right to post away so other people (who wouldnt be offended by your good news) can read and learn from your experiences. You will need a thick skin if you want to share your news. I guess I dont have thick skin :/

Hang in there :)

thanks Gemtum. I needed that. I guess I will have to grow a thicker skin too.

neecy said:

Well you can always post it on other sites! :)

And the Category IS Cochlear Implant - so I don't see why you should have to withdraw your statement regardless if it hurt someone or not. It would be like someone saying "I'm PREGNANT! I'm PREGNANT" And saying Oh you shouldnt say that because there might be some ladies out there who want to have babies but can't. I'm sorry LIFE ISNT FAIR! Get OVER IT!

DefLord said:
Well you can always post it on other sites! :)

And the Category IS Cochlear Implant - so I don't see why you should have to withdraw your statement regardless if it hurt someone or not. It would be like someone saying "I'm PREGNANT! I'm PREGNANT" And saying Oh you shouldnt say that because there might be some ladies out there who want to have babies but can't. I'm sorry LIFE ISNT FAIR! Get OVER IT!

Great analogy! And a very good point.

momoftwo then don't participate in this thread! Neecy can post whatever she wants. it is up to admin and moderator to find it deem worthy or not. it is not your problem.

Momoftwo said:
But the way you said in your post can hurt other deaf people because some people can not get the CI because of not qualify for that, I know few of my friends had CI but it failed them. So, I think it is for the best if you would just be quiet and not to post it here. Just humble rather than bragging. Anyhow, I'm glad it worked for you. Good luck with your CI.

Are you kidding me?...

I don't understand why is it so wrong for someone to express their feelings out what it like to be able to hear their children's voices...I'll tell you about me, when my first son was born, I couldn't hear his cry, then when he made his first sounds or his first laughs, I wasn't able to hear that either, I watch my family and my friends laughing along with my son, telling me how cute it sounds and saying I wish you could hear him, my ex husband kept rubbing things in my face over and over telling me you should hear him etc, do you have any clue how hard it is for me? I feel like an outsider because of my own deafness, and the hardest part of being a mom is pretending that it didn't bother me but deep down I feel so lost and sad cause for once I wanted more than anything just to hear my own son, why is it soo wrong for a mother to feel that way and it's not that I'm not accepting my own deafness, which I am, but it would be nice for once to be able to hear him because my children means the world to me, and one of my wishes were that one day I shall hear them and I know I will...

Now with Neecy, she's pouring her heart out by expressing her feelings what it like to hear her children for the first time on the phone and what they really sounds like she wasn't able to hear them before, that's a wonderful gift that every parents would want from their children is to be able to hear them, hear their laughters, their cry, their voices, I would have cried if I've had finally was able to hear my children's voices that would be a dream come true for me because I'm being a mom, and that something that every parents would want from their children....

I don't feel is right for someone to tell others to keep quiet about it, that must have hurt her feelings as a mother...

Neecy, I'm very happy for you , I bet this has been a great experience for you as a mother by being able to hear your children's voices on the phone, that something I haven't gone through yet, but I'm glad you got a second chance in life by being able to hear again, it must have been a wonderful feelings too..:hug:

Thank you Angel - though I want to clear one thing up - I'm not a Mom. I was talking to my boyfriend's mother on the phone. Though I have talked about listening to my niece (6 months) and nephew(2 1/2 years.) They are the light of my life!. I have, however learned a hard lesson, and realized that some people still prefer to stick their heads in the sand. I pray that one day, there will be a middle ground, as stated in the new quote I'm using on my signature :)

neecy said:
Thank you Angel - though I want to clear one thing up - I'm not a Mom. I was talking to my boyfriend's mother on the phone. Though I have talked about listening to my niece (6 months) and nephew(2 1/2 years.) They are the light of my life!. I have, however learned a hard lesson, and realized that some people still prefer to stick their heads in the sand. I pray that one day, there will be a middle ground, as stated in the new quote I'm using on my signature :)

Opps I'm sorry I couldn't read your post on top cause it was already been removed so I read only little bit from one of the member who quote your first post....

Next time I'll read it ALL, sorry about that :Oops:

Ok, that's fine with me but becareful with other people for feeling hurt. Good luck....

Momoftwo said:
Ok, that's fine with me but becareful with other people for feeling hurt. Good luck....

Everything we say is going to hurt anyone anyway - we cannot tiptoe out of fear that we would hurt someone if we have something to celebrate about.

Neecy has every right to discuss her happiness.

Gemtun said:
Everything we say is going to hurt anyone anyway - we cannot tiptoe out of fear that we would hurt someone if we have something to celebrate about.

Ok, that's your opinion. That's fine with me. Good luck!

Gemtun said:

With this Forum, everyone has the rights to be able to express an opinion, thoughts, feelings and experiences as long as it doesn't crosses the line per rules outlined here in AD. What was done here was an expression of joy within an experience and sharing those moments with others here in AD is something most of us may be able to smile and 'feel' the warmness of those moments also. ;)

It's understandable from time to time, some things that are expressed here may hurt the feelings of a few or bring up some bad memories, etc., and nothing can really be done to prevent those, but hopefully it may help strengthen someone's own miseries, hurts, etc., and help create an air of positiveness by being able to 'move forward'.

Thanks mod.

Neecy I missed your original story. Would it be possible for you to repost it or perhaps you could e-mail it to me if you are reluctant to post it again?

R2D2 said:
Thanks mod.

Neecy I missed your original story. Would it be possible for you to repost it or perhaps you could e-mail it to me if you are reluctant to post it again?

Here it is:

Last night, my boyfriend's mother (whom I have never met, and who is in New York) called me to wish me Happy Easter. It was the first time I'd spoken to her on the phone and it was an amazing experince. After we chatted for half an hour, I hung up and just sat quietly for a few minutes. This kind of event wouldn't have been possible a year ago, before my CI...and yet here I am using the phone, really understanding and being able to share an Easter greeting with somebody I've never MET yet, and have never even had the chance to "get to know" their voice.

It was wonderful.

Back