Earthquake in California

Oh yes I remember this poor guy. No one could believe he survived that long. May he RIP now. The other really sad story on that same Freeway collapsed structure was when they had to saw through the dead mother to get her child out. It made big time news of course. It was terribly sad. I have some vivid memories of that day.

For about a month when everyone was driving to work, no one would stop under any of the bridges. It took a few months then everyone was back to normal.

Ohhhh I remember that story! Horrifying!

Help me out here. I'm in New England so I have no idea. How close is Petaluma to Napa? On the map it looks fairly close, but I can't tell. My brother lives in Petaluma but i don't want to text him if it isn't as close as it looks.

Help me out here. I'm in New England so I have no idea. How close is Petaluma to Napa? On the map it looks fairly close, but I can't tell. My brother lives in Petaluma but i don't want to text him if it isn't as close as it looks.

It never hurt to check your brother. I did text my bro in law this am and will hear from him soon. I hope he's OK. so is your brother.

Napa, Calif., gets back to business after 6.0 quake

People look at some of the more than a dozen vehicles damaged when the carport

Craig, authentic and other users have carports who live in California? Carports are unsafe and can be damaged to cars.

Carport, ekkkk! I won't live in a condo or apartment that have carports, they are not safe, and favorite spots for thieves/vandalisms. I park my car in the garage every nights, thank you! :)

1408941825994_wps_10_Kids_skateboard_over_buck.jpg

|facepalm|

I played hockey with a guy who was on the Cypress when the 89, quake hit and when they found his car it was 6 inches high and he was still in it. The ironic part of the story was, he had been a helicopter pilot and his wife wanted him to go into something safer, so he went into electronic sales and was coming home from a sales call when the quake hit.
I too would not live anywhere with hurricanes and tornado's, they all ask "how can you live with earthquakes?" I always tell them I would rather live someplace that might get hit with a big quake once every 30-40 years than have to live with hurricanes or tornado threats every year.
Another thing about the Napa/Sonoma area: they are on top of a super volcano, much the same as Yellowstone is. If it goes off and it will someday, it won't just be affecting a small area but much of the western and central parts of the US.

Drone looking for damages

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhYbfIz0n4]Napa Earthquake 2014 Quadcopter Test Video - YouTube[/ame]

24 miles or a 30 minute drive, depending on traffic

Quake today again. Wow

USA today said: A magnitude-3.9 aftershock struck Northern California on Tuesday only miles from Napa, Calif, which was rocked by a magnitude-6.0 quake two days ago, the U.S. Geological Survey reports.

There were no immediate reports of injury of damage.

The USGS said the epicenter of the aftershock was 7 miles south of Napa, near American Canyon, Calif.

More quakes will be again???

I forgot about how active the CA area is, the experts insist the coast won't sink (at least for the short term), but they can expect ALOT of damage. Take care those of you in harm's way!

A 65-year-old woman who was struck by a falling television has become the first known fatality from the 6.0-magnitude earthquake in southern Napa County last month, authorities said Wednesday.

Laurie Anne Thompson, an artist and grandmother, died about 9:35 a.m. Friday at Queen of the Valley Medical Center in Napa, a hospital spokeswoman said. The county coroner listed the cause of death as an intracranial hemorrhage suffered in the Aug. 24 earthquake.

She had been hit on the head by a television at her home on Napa's Mayfair Drive during the 3:20 a.m. shaking that was centered south of Napa and northwest of American Canyon, according to the coroner's office.

Her daughter, Shannon Thompson, said she had fallen asleep on a recliner when the television fell from a stand and hit her in the face.

"She was knocked unconscious," her daughter said. "She had a large shiner and her eye was swollen quite a bit. She kept telling me she was fine, but I was worried."

Shannon Thompson, a Napa resident, was out of town during the earthquake and did not hear from her mother until almost two hours after the quake. She rushed to her house to check on her and found her functioning and conscious, despite the bruises.

"Cognitively, she was the same," Thompson said. "She was articulating well, she was speaking well, she was doing everything normal - walking, talking, breathing. There was no outward sign anything was wrong except for a dull headache that she had taken an aspirin for and felt better."

Thompson said she and other family members continuously checked on her mother in the hours that followed. Her brother, Aaron Thompson, arrived in Napa the next day to help their mother with the cleanup and found her "disoriented and slow to speak," Shannon Thompson said.

They persuaded her to get treatment, and she went to take a shower before leaving for the hospital. Then she collapsed. While Shannon Thompson was calling for an ambulance, her mother suffered a seizure.

Doctors at Queen of the Valley discovered that Laurie Anne Thompson had a subdural hematoma and inserted a tube to drain the area of blood and fluid buildup, her daughter said.

For seven days, she improved and was able to communicate with her family with hand gestures when she was awake. But after her tube was removed, her health declined.

Shannon Thompson described her mother as "the favorite aunt and the life of the party, the person who always made everybody laugh." Her grandchildren called her "Nana T."

She had moved back to Napa 3 1/2 months ago after spending her life taking care of her children, grandchildren and elderly parents, her daughter said.

Shannon Thompson said she hoped that members of the public will learn from her mother's death and immediately seek treatment following a head injury.

More than 200 people were treated at Queen of the Valley following the earthquake, including 17 for serious injuries, authorities said. In Vallejo, 49 people were treated for quake-related injuries, authorities said.

Woman hit on head by TV is 1st Napa earthquake death

Just added information about quakes in the US and those in the east who feel safe from there effects. It is believed that the largest earthquake in US history happened in New Madrid, Missouri in 1811, and would of registered at least a 7.5 if a richter scale had been around. Geologist also have found a history of quakes measuring in the 7- 8.0 range over the last 4,500 years. The 1811, quake had no reported deaths, but the quake knocked people out of bed in Boston, MA. The fault ruptures about every 200 years, so it's due. So, California is not the only one to get large quakes.

There is minor Earthquake in Dallas. We barely feel it. Oh wait, we were asleep! :lol:

Back