Dumb access denial excuses for your service dog

Reba said:
Don't worry; he is in big trouble in our community. There are other complaints against him, and he is being investigated. It is "hot" news here.

Hope this goes on National news.

Mookie said:
I bet Reba and Pek1 never thought of the lawsuit case: ADA person vs. ADA person. how will the judge make a decision?
Actually, I have thought about that before. I'm afraid it will come to a point when litigants will be arguing, "my disability is worse than your disability". Whose "disability" will take precidence?

I think some people may have to learn the meaning of some "C" words:

communication
compromise
consideration of others
common sense

I really do not mean to make light of the situation, but I couldn't help but laugh at these two:

4. Door greeters watching me park my car in the handicapped spot and
then ask me upon entering the store if I was blind.
5. See me reading labels and ask me if I was blind, if not I needed to leave.

What the heck happened to common sense?

Curious

EyesBlueDeaf said:
Umm.. for number 4 - you parked in the handicapped space because you are deaf? or is it because you have walking difficulities. JUST CURIOUS.

I have mobility problems as well. My service dog doesn't just alert me. He keeps me from falling down and helps me get up if I do. The handicapped plaque is for the walking problems.

ADA vs ADA

Mookie said:
I was going to post. But yes, I wonder about it.

Deaf individual may have another disablities, such as heart condition.

Why is the big deal if deaf customer walks around in the big "Walmart" shopping zone. I am sure that it is a bit farther than the distance between handicapped parking zone and front door. Oh boy...

Any person have right to refuse any service dog into the private/commerical office becasue of allegeric, phobias, etc. If a person with service dog sues against the doctor, the doctor can easily win in court room because of panic attack disorder. Moreover, the plaintiff would have to pay to defendant(s) the cleaning bill plus attonery fee and court fee.

Can you imagine ADA person vs. ADA person....

Where did you get this information from? If someone states they have an allergy the allergy has to be life threatening and documented by a doctor. If someone states they have phobia, which also has to be documented, then I can be asked to enter by a different door and I should and would be happy to enter via a different door. Otherwise just anyone could use those as excuses to deny access. As to cleaning bill, I have no idea what you mean by that. I am responsible for any mess my service dog makes but my dog is well trained. But even the best of trained service dogs can have an accident and I carry with me at all times items to remedy that should it occur. Any medical excuse that anyone uses has to be documented just like mine should it end up in court, which it wouldn't if they can't prove it.

I don't see a problem with people who bring their service dogs everywhere they go....

If they need those service dogs to help them, then let them take them, I don't think its right for someone to say why or how come?....It's printed very clearly in the ADA laws and they have a right to bring their service dogs with them period....

Second, if someone has a handicapped sticker or sign on their mirror, then that's their business, I dont believe it someone's place to ask such a question of why.....As long they have a sticker to prove they are allow to park on the handicapped spot then it shouldn't matter what you see or think of that person....

I don't even ask such a question when it's none of my business....

^Angel^ said:
I don't see a problem with people who bring their service dogs everywhere they go....

If they need those service dogs to help them, then let them take them, I don't think its right for someone to say why or how come?....It's printed very clearly in the ADA laws and they have a right to bring their service dogs with them period....

Second, if someone has a handicapped sticker or sign on their mirror, then that's their business, I dont believe it someone's place to ask such a question of why.....As long they have a sticker to prove they are allow to park on the handicapped spot then it shouldn't matter what you see or think of that person....

I don't even ask such a question when it's none of my business....
What about the hearing dog - I still don't see why Deaf people have to drag them along everywhere they go.

EyesBlueDeaf said:
What about the hearing dog - I still don't see why Deaf people have to drag them along everywhere they go.

Yeah, Everyone does that. Even my old deaf roommate always brought his dog to public as long as it had good manners. He ordered a Hearing Dog vest. Yeah, it is also deaf...

LuvsInk said:
Where did you get this information from? If someone states they have an allergy the allergy has to be life threatening and documented by a doctor. If someone states they have phobia, which also has to be documented, then I can be asked to enter by a different door and I should and would be happy to enter via a different door. Otherwise just anyone could use those as excuses to deny access. As to cleaning bill, I have no idea what you mean by that. I am responsible for any mess my service dog makes but my dog is well trained. But even the best of trained service dogs can have an accident and I carry with me at all times items to remedy that should it occur. Any medical excuse that anyone uses has to be documented just like mine should it end up in court, which it wouldn't if they can't prove it.

Just my theory.

Give me you location and I will search a business owner who has a phobia to dog or panic attack disorder. Would you be first volunteer to be ready for real ADA vs. ADA case in court?

EyesBlueDeaf said:

I don't have a problem with deaf people bringing their hearing dog where ever they go, if they have a documented to allow them to take the dog anywhere they go, then, what's the problem?....

I'm sorry I'm only speaking my own view on this, yet I don't see a problem with anyone bringing their service dog whether the dog is to help them hear, see, or lift them up etc etc....

I don't understand why make a big fuss about it, I heard some deaf people complaint to me why some deaf have a hanicapped sticker or sign in their car, if they are able to walk....It's like so what big deal, if they have forms from the doctor saying they're allow to have one, then leave it alone.....I'm tired of people complain over something so little...it's not going to hurt anyone and beside I don't think it's anyone's business really....

If she feel she wants to bring her service dog with her so the dog can help her hear, then let her :dunno:

^Angel^ said:
I generally agree with you. However, its the 'abuse' that concerns me. For example a couple of posters already said:

• A Deaf actress always brings 3 service animals, when only 1 is required.
  • A poster says that a Deaf person is bringing his service animal, who is also Deaf?!?

If a lot of people bring service animals for no discernible reason or apparent utility, it could lead to legislation that will curtail the service animal provision of Title III of the ADA.

Thankfully, due to low incidence of Deaf people, and the fact not a lot of them choose to utilize their service animals in public, this perception of abuse largely has never materialized.

Eyeth said:
I generally agree with you. However, its the 'abuse' that concerns me. For example a couple of posters already said:

• A Deaf actress always brings 3 service animals, when only 1 is required.
  • A poster says that a Deaf person is bringing his service animal, who is also Deaf?!?

However I do agree with you on taking 3 service dogs is not required, I don't see why need 3 when 1 is enough....

But I don't see the poster saying her service dog is deaf, where did she said that?...

Mookie said:

I didn't read your post, I was replying to this thread that LuvsInk created which she has a service dog who takes it with her everywhere she goes, it seem some people have a problem with that when I don't see it as a problem

Second, I don't understand why your room mate who happen to be deaf is taking his service dog with him who is also deaf.....How is his service dog helping him?....

^Angel^ said:
I didn't read your post, I was replying to this thread that LuvsInk created which she has a service dog who takes it with her everywhere she goes, it seem some people have a problem with that when I don't see it as a problem

Second, I don't understand why your room mate who happen to be deaf is taking his service dog with him who is also deaf.....How is his service dog helping him?....

No body dares to ask a deafie about his deaf dog...

According to ADA Business BRIEF: Service Animals, Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

Mookie said:
No body dares to ask a deafie about his deaf dog...

According to ADA Business BRIEF: Service Animals, Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

Okay fair enough.... :-/

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section

ADA Business BRIEF: Service Animals

Service animals are animals that are individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities such as guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling wheelchairs, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, or performing other special tasks. Service animals are working animals, not pets.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), businesses and organizations that serve the public must allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals into all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. This federal law applies to all businesses open to the public, including restaurants, hotels, taxis and shuttles, grocery and department stores, hospitals and medical offices, theaters, health clubs, parks, and zoos.

Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be charged extra fees, isolated from other patrons, or treated less favorably than other patrons. However, if a business such as a hotel normally charges guests for damage that they cause, a customer with a disability may be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal.

A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the animal is out of control and the animal's owner does not take effective action to control it (for example, a dog that barks repeatedly during a movie) or (2) the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.

In these cases, the business should give the person with the disability the option to obtain goods and services without having the animal on the premises.

Businesses that sell or prepare food must allow service animals in public areas even if state or local health codes prohibit animals on the premises.

A business is not required to provide care or food for a service animal or provide a special location for it to relieve itself.

Allergies and fear of animals are generally not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people with service animals.

Violators of the ADA can be required to pay money damages and penalties.

If you see a "healthy" deaf person walking with a service dog, it's more likely that person has limited vision issues.. Usher syndrome? A trained dog is very useful. If she or he did not have the dog everywhere... would have had problems bumping into people and into chairs, and knock over some supermarket displays. The little things count in a big way that some people don't realize. :)

Dumb Access Denials

When I started this thread it was to be a fun place to talk about all the dumb excuses that people have used to deny access with your service dog. I should not have to defend my "right" to have one or feel that I need to explain why I have a handicapped plaque. I need my dog and that is that. For those that don't use a service dog, I don't mind, so why should you mind if I do? So, can we please get back on topic and make this fun and not a war on ADA vs. ADA. I have already stated that I am a responsible handler and if someone has a "real problem" then I will accomodate them as I expect to be accomodated for my disabilities. What I won't tolerate is someone trying to use lame excuses to get their way because they are ignorant of the law and my civil rights. I stand up for what I believe in and know to be my right. I may be handicapped but I will use every means available to me to be as independent as I can and I will not allow anyone to take from me anything that allows me this independence.

Back