'Duck Dynasty' star suspended for anti-gay remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
my friend -

I'm pretty amazed at the number of misinformed and asinine people chiming in about the Duck Dynasty thing. It's almost comical seeing people rant about how his freedom of speech was violated. Freedom of speech protects you from prosecution. Phil was not jailed or fined for what he said. He was fired from a job. I'm sure most people would get fired for saying the things he said. The second thing that really gets me, is that most of this is stemming from Christians. Christians, that regularly fire teachers that come out as gay. So, they believe Phil should not get fired for expressing his views, but then fire people for expressing their views. Really? Organized religion is the most hypocritical, judgmental, and hate-spreading entity in the world. Gandhi said it best: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Yes, there are many gay people got fired from job.

Should we give a special treatment to Phil Robertson but not poor gay people who got fired from job?

I find extremely ironic that Sarah Palin is crying "free speech" foul for this. Was she trying to get Martin Bashir back on the air for exercising his right to free speech a few weeks ago :D
She wasn't trying to get him fired. Bashir made his statement as part of his program, and directed it at someone specific. Also, it wasn't his first offense.

Is Phil in jail? Does he have charges brought against him? Nope, rights not violated. He could have said no comment, that's between them and god and none of my business, nobody made him say homosexual and bestiality in the same freaking sentence, lumping them in with drunkards and terrorists, and saying it's illogical. [/quote]
No terrorists in that quote.

But what really tickled me was saying at the end, but I wouldn't disrespect anyone.......so um what did you think you just did? Let's take homosexuality and just morph out from there, you know bestiality......wtf??? Oh did you just mean to their face Phil? Because that was pretty disrespectful.
Desensitizing to sexual sins starts in one area and leads to others.

Meh def not a freedom of speech issue, last I checked A&E is not the government. Freedom of Speech is not like a hall pass, it's not a free of all repercussions speech. Businesses get to choose who they're going to do business with, they have rights well.
I agree. If A&E chooses one group of viewers over another they have that right. Their ratings will prove whether or not that was a wise business decision.

Wondering how well anyone ever thinks it would go over if they said something like this at work. How long do you think you'd have your job if you said this to a customer?
I don't believe it was a customer who asked Phil his opinion, and Phil wasn't on the job at the time.

Somebody mentioned comedians. Stand up comedians, and actors, are free agents. People hiring comedians for a gig would know the content, and their venues can decide whether or not they're going to hire them.
Certainly the staff at A&E new who the Duck Dynasty family were when they created the program. They knew what they were getting, didn't they?

Celebrities do interviews and what not for publicity, if a company chooses not to do business with them in the future because of things they say, that's their prerogative. Gatorade and who knows who else stopped sponsoring Tiger Woods when his affairs became known. Again, that's their prerogative.
I believe that was because of Tiger's actions, not his words.

Companies don't HAVE to do business with anyone that they don't feel represents them well, or they don't want associated with them.
Which is why most of the big sponsors are sticking with the program.

Phil is free to say whatever he wants, and people that don't wasn't anything to do with him.....are also free to do so.
Yep. It seems more support Phil than otherwise.

Also A&E wasnt his employer, it was a business deal, he wasn't fired. DD was basically publicity for Phils Duck Commander business......making duck calls luring poor little ducks in with promise of sex :D and then killing them (lil bit of irony there)
His family was already rich from the Duck Commander business; they didn't need A&E.

Humans are like ducks too, lure them with sex and they get killed too ! LOL

...I just thought of something. You rarely hear of someone other faiths offending people like this, usually just Christians. What I find really interesting about that is when do you ever hear about Jewish people making statements like Phil? The "sins" were established in the Old Testament right? That's their book, it's what the Jewish people use, so why don't you ever see them doing things like this? No point their really, I just thought of it and found it interesting.
Maybe it's because other religions don't take sin seriously or don't care how it affects other people's lives.

Exposing sin is offensive because people don't like to confront their own shortcomings. It's painful and humbling. But sin is like cancer. It can't be healed until it's diagnosed, confronted as a reality, and then removed. Just ignoring it won't make it disappear.

...You know, the Westport Baptists threw Phil their support, I think if anything would give someone pause that would….
Do you mean Westboro? They'll take advantage of any opportunity to picket. Their opportunities at veteran funerals have been reduced so they are looking elsewhere. They also picket schools and churches.

Maybe it's because other religions don't take sin seriously or don't care how it affects other people's lives.

Exposing sin is offensive because people don't like to confront their own shortcomings. It's painful and humbling. But sin is like cancer. It can't be healed until it's diagnosed, confronted as a reality, and then removed. Just ignoring it won't make it disappear.

like the Islamics, bombers!!

Some of my comrades, who really should know better, wonder why, instead of insisting Robertson be defenestrated, GLAAD wouldn’t rather “start a conversation.” But, if you don’t need to, why bother? Most Christian opponents of gay marriage oppose gay marriage; they don’t oppose the right of gays to advocate it. Yet thug groups like GLAAD increasingly oppose the right of Christians even to argue their corner. It’s quicker and more effective to silence them.

The Age of Intolerance | National Review Online

First Amendment doesn't protect you from discrimination in private companies, but just protect you from the government, that all. EEOC created their rule, but not reflective to our constitution. That's not our opinion but it came from judges, lawyers and constitutionalists.

He was removed for offensive comment, especially comparative - compare to bestiality and use sexual term. That's less than religious belief and if he is suspended for praying or tell a bible verses so that will be religious discrimination.

Not all gay people committed sexual intercourse.

I don't think any cable companies receive federal funding, except for tax credits from IRS. I only know PBS receive federal funding, but not other channels.

I will say this one last time. Phil Robertson was asked what his religious views were and he answered.

He was suspended because he is religious. He was suspended because his religious views were offensive to some people. That is a violation of Federal Law.

my friend -

more people have signed petitions supporting Phil's 1st amendment rights (freedom of speech, and religion - something your friend entirely skipped right over) than signed up for Obamacare.

I will say this one last time. Phil Robertson was asked what his religious views were and he answered.

He was suspended because he is religious. He was suspended because his religious views were offensive to some people. That is a violation of Federal Law.

You think so? What are you doing if judge disagrees with you because they can't find an evidence to support Phil's claim in religious discrimination case? If Phil got turned away because of he's Christian so it could be violation of EEOC rule, but if he makes offensive comment, regardless on religious belief so he isn't covered under EEOC rule.

Phil could have other choice to turn away the interview if he believes that could put his position in jeopardy. I don't understand why people would accept the interview from moron organizations and leak into media.

I worked at Walmart for 4 years and we have few gay employees, and some employees made offensive comment about gay employees because they claim the religious belief, but our manager coached employees who insult to gay employees and told them that no federal, nor state law will protect your religious belief to make offensive comment. Walmart has right to fire any employees for make offensive comment, regardless on religious belief or not.

First Amendment doesn't protect you from private companies - that's fact.
“The First Amendment, like the constitution generally, only applies to the government, so if the government stops someone from talking or punishes them, that’s a First Amendment issue. If a private person says I won’t hire you or let you be on TV anymore, that’s not,” Roosevelt said.

Phil Robertson and A&E Fight Not About 1st Amendment, Expert Says - ABC News

Is it hard to understand about First Amendment doesn't protect you from private companies? If you think so, try make court case and if you don't win so we know why.

more people have signed petitions supporting Phil's 1st amendment rights (freedom of speech, and religion - something your friend entirely skipped right over) than signed up for Obamacare.

Petition? Just check this website out.
http://www.change.org/petitions/a-e-network-bring-phil-robertson-back

This petition got more than 110,000 signees, but it seem doesn't impress A&E because you need petition with over 1 million signees to make A&E to reconsider their decision.

See my post above about First Amendment.

I found Phil Robertson isn't only suspended about made an offensive comment to gay people, also he made offensive comment about black people and Shintoism, so combined made much worse for between Phil Robertson and A&E.

Phil Robertson, one of the stars of A&E's mega-hit series Duck Dynasty, was suspended indefinitely by the network for calling homosexuality "illogical" and comparing it to bestiality, for trivializing the harm Jim Crow inflicted on black Americans, and for saying that Shintoism (which he likened to Nazism, Communism and Islamism) leads inexorably to violence in a GQ interview. However, conservative political figures from Bobby Jindal to Ted Cruz to Sarah Palin have leapt to his defense, arguing that his right to free expression is being threatened.

9 questions you were too embarrassed to ask about ‘Duck Dynasty’

I found Phil Robertson isn't only suspended about made an offensive comment to gay people, also he made offensive comment about black people and Shintoism, so combined made much worse for between Phil Robertson and A&E.

9 questions you were too embarrassed to ask about ‘Duck Dynasty’

read what he actually said - there is a GQ article with what he actually said - I try to avoid articles out there that are putting words in his mouth.

I don't see any controversy. He was asked his opinion about the treatment of blacks in the 50's and 60's. He didn't say that mistreatment of blacks never happened or that blacks were better off during that time. He simply said that he never witnessed their mistreatment.

Leave it up to the NAACP to read supposed 'racist' words that aren't there. They, and the LGBT lynch mobs, also conveniently neglected to mention this part of the article:

999456_554607211293546_140093126_n.jpg

This may surprise you, but the Jim Crow Laws and Segregation were promulgated by the Democratic Party, not the Republicans. The KKK was also affiliated with the Democratic Party, not the Republican Party. Just like Phil said, there were dirt poor white southerners working the fields right alongside dirt poor black southerners. These white southerners who were attempting to end segregation and Jim Crow laws were members of the Republican Party. Robert Byrd, a staunch Democrat, and grand wizard of the KKK, and member of the Democratic party til the day he died, attempted to stop the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The longest filibuster in our Nation's history was when Strom Thurmond, a Democrat, attempted to block the Civil Rights Act of 1964 from passing. Even though JFK is lauded for helping pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he voted against an earlier version as a Senator. He also directed his brother, then director of the DoJ, to wiretap Dr. Martin Luther King's telephone conversations in an attempt to frame him. MLK was fighting alongside Republican leaders of the time, something the modern democrats vehemently deny in their revisionist account of history.

She wasn't trying to get him fired. Bashir made his statement as part of his program, and directed it at someone specific. Also, it wasn't his first offense.

Is Phil in jail? Does he have charges brought against him? Nope, rights not violated. He could have said no comment, that's between them and god and none of my business, nobody made him say homosexual and bestiality in the same freaking sentence, lumping them in with drunkards and terrorists, and saying it's illogical.
No terrorists in that quote.

Desensitizing to sexual sins starts in one area and leads to others.

I agree. If A&E chooses one group of viewers over another they have that right. Their ratings will prove whether or not that was a wise business decision.

I don't believe it was a customer who asked Phil his opinion, and Phil wasn't on the job at the time.

Certainly the staff at A&E new who the Duck Dynasty family were when they created the program. They knew what they were getting, didn't they?

I believe that was because of Tiger's actions, not his words.

Which is why most of the big sponsors are sticking with the program.

Yep. It seems more support Phil than otherwise.

His family was already rich from the Duck Commander business; they didn't need A&E.[/QUOTE]

you're splitting hairs all the place and purposedly missing the point, not able to see the forest for the trees. I really don't think you're this obtuse.

Maybe, just maybe other religions have a better understanding of what really religious freedom means, and more respect for their fellow man. Maybe they know it's not their place to judge. I don't know why I'm going to try to explain this, so I'm just going to do this once.

You have religious freedom. You can worship anyway you want in your church and in your home. You are not required to practice any one religion, there's your freedom. Being affiliated with one particular, or even any, religion is not required to hold public office, there again you will find religious freedom. Which is particularly funny with all the people complaining Obama is a Muslim. Even if he was it doesn't matter, he can be Muslim and president, because we have religious freedom. Keep it in your church. What other people do is none of your business, because they also have religious freedom. If you think they're sinning, just remember that's none of your business. That's between them and God.

If you can't see how that correlating a person making love with someone they love and ****ing a dog, well....I just can't help you. If you cant' see the lack of respect and how that is none of your business....I can't help you.

The part you're missing about freedom of speech, it's protecting you, and Phil, for the government. It doesn't protect you from you boss, your neighbors, you friends and family. Just because you say something, and have the right to say it, meaning it won't land you in jail, does not mean the rest of society HAS to accept it, or even find it acceptable. If you can't see how disrespectful to other people, how selfish and self centered that is....I can't help you. You will always feel wronged, picked on, you will never see the error of your ways, and you will never see the forest for the trees.

read what he actually said - there is a GQ article with what he actually said - I try to avoid articles out there that are putting words in his mouth.

The articles just copied from GQ, but some articles just summarized.

From GQ.
Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson Gives Drew Magary a Tour

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana
“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

“For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it,” Phil tells me. “All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I’ll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That’s eighty years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups.”

Prior to controversy, there are many gay people are fan of Duck Dynasty and I don't know about their status now, after controversy, some gay people expressed disapproved about Phil's stance.

I remember about this show has 8 millions to 11 millions viewers.

Despite about outcry on media, I'm concerned about controversy could hurt Duck Dynasty's brand and it could make not popular as before, and it take a year to find out about show's rating. I prefer Phil to be clean - just free away from offensive comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back