'Duck Dynasty' star suspended for anti-gay remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again he didn't have to answer ;) usually when someone is asked a question by a journalist that they know will get them in hot water they say no comment, next question.

On one hand that's their belief, fine, more power to them. But what other people do is none of their business, had nothing to do with them. But when they also put what other people do in insulting derogatory ways......maybe they should just keep their mouth shut and just worry about themselves? Just not do the things they don't think people should do.

The Pope even thinks people need to lay off :)

From what I understand, Phil isn't Catholic. But the Pope is entitled to his opinion too. Maybe ... if he offended A&E, they would refuse to air anything he says too?

Foxrac asked me to check out this thread. I find a small spot that has internet reception (in the middle of a wilderness ATM on top of a mountain).

So .... Let's see ... We have a white, southern, patriotic, Christian, country family that make duck calls and suddenly GLAAD wants us to think they are quack heads?

Funny :lol:

:laugh2::laugh2:

From what I understand, Phil isn't Catholic. But the Pope is entitled to his opinion too. Maybe ... if he offended A&E, they would refuse to air anything he says too?

That would be their right, and the Pope was just an example, of a voice of reason. I didn't say Phil was Catholic. I'm not even saying Phil can't have his opinion, or that he shouldn't say it. I'm just saying what happened wasn't a violation if his rights. He is free to believe whatever he wants. He's free to say whatever he wants. He's still free right? Being a Christian is okay. Saying hurtful and derogatory things towards people who in no way affect your life is not okay. If people don't want to be associated with someone like that.....that's okay. Being all hunky dory with what he said, because well, he's Christian so they can say things like that....is not okay. Not in my opinion.

I just thought of something. You rarely hear of someone other faiths offending people like this, usually just Christians. What I find really interesting about that is when do you ever hear about Jewish people making statements like Phil? The "sins" were established in the Old Testament right? That's their book, it's what the Jewish people use, so why don't you ever see them doing things like this? No point their really, I just thought of it and found it interesting.

That would be their right, and the Pope was just an example, of a voice of reason. I didn't say Phil was Catholic. I'm not even saying Phil can't have his opinion, or that he shouldn't say it. I'm just saying what happened wasn't a violation if his rights. He is free to believe whatever he wants. He's free to say whatever he wants. He's still free right? Being a Christian is okay. Saying hurtful and derogatory things towards people who in no way affect your life is not okay. If people don't want to be associated with someone like that.....that's okay. Being all hunky dory with what he said, because well, he's Christian so they can say things like that....is not okay. Not in my opinion.

I just thought of something. You rarely hear of someone other faiths offending people like this, usually just Christians. What I find really interesting about that is when do you ever hear about Jewish people making statements like Phil? The "sins" were established in the Old Testament right? That's their book, it's what the Jewish people use, so why don't you ever see them doing things like this? No point their really, I just thought of it and found it interesting.

Apparently you are ok with a person claiming to be a Christian, except for when they express their christian beliefs when asked :lol:

okaaaaay .... basically, what you are saying is he is free, but just needs to keep his faith "in the closet".

yep, the agenda is crystal clear (and has been for quite some time). And it is pissing people off.

Just when they're preaching. I'm also okay with lesbians but that doesn't mean I want them kissing me.

No, there's no agenda. People are intolerant of intolerance. You want to live by your values that's fine, but keep it to yourself, not everybody believes the same. If they wanted to hear it they'd be sitting next to you at church. Religion should be a private thing. Unless I'm having sex on your dinner table, I don't need or want your opinion on my sex life. See other religions, they get that, they're respectful of other people beliefs.

You know, the Westport Baptists threw Phil their support, I think if anything would give someone pause that would.

"The Westport Baptists got me back?? Crap I must be doing something wrong"

Let's remember not to associate WBC with anything sane, please. I've seen nuttier criminals at my internship seem more likable than WBC...

Just when they're preaching. I'm also okay with lesbians but that doesn't mean I want them kissing me.

No, there's no agenda. People are intolerant of intolerance. You want to live by your values that's fine, but keep it to yourself, not everybody believes the same. If they wanted to hear it they'd be sitting next to you at church. Religion should be a private thing. Unless I'm having sex on your dinner table, I don't need or want your opinion on my sex life. See other religions, they get that, they're respectful of other people beliefs.

You know, the Westport Baptists threw Phil their support, I think if anything would give someone pause that would.

"The Westport Baptists got me back?? Crap I must be doing something wrong"

Exactly, not everyone believes the same.

Except, for some reason, the executives at A&E are somehow ... surprised that Phil is a Christian? Even more surprised that he expresses his beliefs, publicly?

Wow! What nerve!!

Please, spare me the crap about the Westboro Baptists. I can easily draw that same parallel to NAMBLA supporting GLAAD. Yep, NAMBLA has GLAAD's back with this one.

What you have kind of failed to address, is that Phil was asked what his religious views are, and your recommendation was that he keep it in the closet. He was not "preaching" he was answering a question. And I am pretty sure this may come as a complete shock to you - but nobody really cares about your sex life.

"Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

He was asked by GQ magazine, in the context of describing his former sinful life, God, repentance, and his belief that he is now "saved," what he believed to be sinful. He mentioned homosexual behavior and the above quote.

So what does the news link say?

The news comes after Robertson compared homosexuality to bestiality in an interview with the magazine.

He did not compare homosexuality with bestiality. He mentioned it is sinful in a list of other sexual sins, in which he included bestiality and heterosexual sex (presumably outside of marriage). It would have been just as accurate to say that he "compared homosexuality to heterosexuality in an interview with the magazine."

In context, he was describing his own sinful life, and repentance, and he was asked what is sinful. "Homosexual behavior" was one of the answers.

The homosexual activists do not want people even to be allowed to have their own religious beliefs or to be able to express them. We must all pretend even God wants people to engage in homosexual behavior.

Last edited:
Not only does Phil's family have his back ( http://duckcommander.com/news/robertson-family-offical-statement ) , but so does his local Sheriff.

http://www.douglascountysentinel.com/news/local/article_a2b03444-69ea-11e3-9c03-001a4bcf6878.html

In wake of 'Duck Dynasty' star suspension, Sheriff Miller tells A&E they are not welcome

The suspension of “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson by the A&E Network after making controversial remarks in GQ magazine regarding homosexuality has been called a business decision. But now Douglas County Sheriff Phil Miller is making a business decision of his own.

Miller announced on his personal Facebook page Friday night that A&E would no longer be welcomed to film or produce any of its programs or series with the help of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office or its facilities.

"A&E has suspended Phil Robertson for talking about his conservative Christian beliefs," Miller wrote." None of us are without sin and I am not judging anyone. I am sure A&E made what they believe is a good business decision. Many people who disagree with A&E might choose to remain silent and there was a time when I might have done the same, but no longer. In my mind the punishment is unreasonable.

"I know it will not matter to A&E, but it will make me feel better. A&E has produced more than a half dozen programs with the assistance of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. They will not do any more with my assistance while I am sheriff. It is time for someone other than Hollywood and the news media to stand up for what is right!"

Miller pointed out that if you look closely at what Robertson said, he was saying that he would not judge anyone. In fact, Miller said, Robertson said that he would leave that up to God and only gave his understanding of scripture.

What Robertson said, could be taken a lot of different ways. This is the passage straight from the magazine. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there," Robertson said. "Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Roberston tried to clarify his statements as being his beliefs.

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior," Robertson was quoted as saying. "My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

A&E reacted quickly and suspended the "Duck Commander" patriarch "indefinitely," but said the shows they had already filmed with him would air. They issued this statement: “We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community.”

Miller said that was the network's prerogative, but he said he had to do what he thought was right to show how he feels.

"I guess I need to learn to keep my mouth shut too," Miller said in a phone interview Friday night. "But they are punishing a man for being honest and answering a question that he was asked. When he answered and gave his understanding, pulling from his Christian beliefs, this happens. It's not right and I had to say something about it.

"I don't hate anybody and you can ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you the same thing. But where we are in this country now, where you are punished for simply saying what your understanding of your Christian beliefs are is just too much for me."

Friday other Robertson family members released a statement saying they may not go on without Phil.

"We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right," the statement read. "We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family."

Over the years A&E has filmed several shows centered here including most recently "Beyond Scared Straight," which featured the M.A.C.E. program sponsored by the DCSO.

To say that Miller's statements have caused a stir would be an understatement. As of Saturday afternoon, almost 400,000 people had viewed the story on Douglas County Sentinel: Local.News.First. The story has broken the record for the most viewed story on the paper's Facebook page and is the most commented upon story ever posted to the Sentinel's website.

Miller said that getting attention wasn't his intent. He just saw something that he felt was wrong and did what he could to address it.

"Phil Robertson was talking about activities that he felt were sins in his understanding of the scripture," Miller said. "We all have sinned and so much of what is going on today is sinful. Eating too much – gluttony – is a sin. I know I am guilty of that. I know some people won't be happy with me for saying what I said, but it was the only way I knew to tell A&E that I didn't agree with them or what they did on this."

Steinhauer, your argument possibly answers the question I posed as to why did he say what he said. Redneck has zero to do with it. His form of religious belief is the reason?

Steinhauer, your argument possibly answers the question I posed as to why did he say what he said. Redneck has zero to do with it. His form of religious belief is the reason?

Yes. What everyone has been saying. It is his religious belief.

And it is Constitutionally protected. His family has already made that a public statement - which means they are lawyering up.

Here is the EEOC rules on that:

Religious Discrimination
Religious discrimination involves treating a person (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of his or her religious beliefs. The law protects not only people who belong to traditional, organized religions, such as Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism, but also others who have sincerely held religious, ethical or moral beliefs.

Religious discrimination can also involve treating someone differently because that person is married to (or associated with) an individual of a particular religion or because of his or her connection with a religious organization or group.

The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

And in case anyone is wondering - this Federal Law is also applicable to those under contract - as contractors is a form of employer/employee relationships in the work world. If A&E receives federal funding - they are in some serious doo doo with there being millions upon millions of witnesses.

I know quite a number people of the same faith who would not choose to say what he said. These people are all across the board as far as the political spectrum goes.
The extreme right does not speak for all of us and is not all of us. In fact of all the different religions and sects of those religions the only group here in the US that has combined politics and religion and tried to jam it down the throats of all of us are right wing Christians.

Last edited:
Basically, the very simple way I see it, is A&E is telling Phil that they wanted to do a show about Phil and his family. Except Phil can't be Phil, he has to indoctrinate the public with A&E's agenda. If he can't answer a question about his Christian faith, and be honest, why was he asked in the first place? It is becoming more transparent what the agenda is and apparently people are getting fed up with it.

That's the nature of show business. We all know that reality TV are somewhat scripted. People in show business play dirty. Just wondering why people are shocked as it seems to be the understatement of the year. Show business executives play dirty because there are millions, if not billions of dollars at stake.

Here is the way I see it, and feel free to disagree with me all you want to. First of all, Phil was asked, in an interview, to explain his religious beliefs. The information he conveyed was not volunteered. He was asked.

It is no secret how the left views religion. They "frown" on it. Especially if a particular religious belief is in direct opposition to a political - sociological ideology they share.

When GLAAD came out and claimed that Phil's beliefs were not truly how "real Christians" believed, it was a lie. What Phil conveyed is exactly what Christians believe. There can be no ...but ... but ... so and so is blessing it ...

Nope. The official stance of any organized religion, whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc. etc. (any recognized religion) is that homosexuality is a sin. So what GLAAD is attempting to do (and what the left has attempted to do) is to subvert people of faith ... period.

It is transparent. People aren't just fed up with this tactic, they are getting very angry. And just so you know, one of the fundamentals of free speech is that religious speech is protected speech and Phil can sue the ever loving $%%# out of A&E.

He chose to comment and took that risk. I am just surprised on how upset so many people are over it. He doesn't like gays..ok fine. A&E doesn't like his views...ok fine.

I just find it comical that the ducks got all caught in the middle of it. :laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator:
No real Christian is extemely wealthy.
End of story.

He wasn't fired for his religious beliefs, he was fired for his choice of words describing not just gays but also black people pre civic rights. Actually he wasn't "fired" at all, he was not an employee, but a more like a business associate. I wasn't ignoring the issue, I answered twice, this is the third time, that just because he was asked a question doesn't mean he HAS to answer it, and he certainly didn't have to word it the way that he did.

You guys are never going to understand the distinctions of freedom of speech and religion since you think it gives you special rights to try inject it into our laws and politics, making other people follow them, or alienating groups of people.

I do often wonder how it came to be that the old testament god is intolerant, yet the Jewish people aren't, and it's their book. Yet Jesus was more tolerant and factions Christians are not. It's just kinda of funny how that worked out huh?

He wasn't fired for his religious beliefs, he was fired for his choice of words describing not just gays but also black people pre civic rights. I was ignoing the issue, I answered twice that just because he was asked a question doesn't mean he HAS to answer it, and he certainly did have to word it the way that he did.

You guys are never going to understand the distinctions of freedom of speech and religion since you think it gives you special rights to try inject it into our laws and politics, making other people follow them, or alienating groups of people.

I do often wonder how it came to be that the old testament god is intolerant, yet the Jewish people aren't, and it's their book. Yet Jesus was more tolerant and factions Christians are not. It's just kinda of funny how that worked out huh?

He did, eh? Okayyyy... ;)

He did, eh? Okayyyy... ;)

gah, gotta go back and fix it, oh a few things. I just woke up, and haven't finished my coffee yet. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

gah, gotta go back and fix it, oh a few things. I just woke up, and haven't finished my coffee yet. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

That's okay. Your posts are more interesting than the morning paper. ;)

Yes. What everyone has been saying. It is his religious belief.

And it is Constitutionally protected. His family has already made that a public statement - which means they are lawyering up.

Here is the EEOC rules on that:

Religious Discrimination

And in case anyone is wondering - this Federal Law is also applicable to those under contract - as contractors is a form of employer/employee relationships in the work world. If A&E receives federal funding - they are in some serious doo doo with there being millions upon millions of witnesses.

First Amendment doesn't protect you from discrimination in private companies, but just protect you from the government, that all. EEOC created their rule, but not reflective to our constitution. That's not our opinion but it came from judges, lawyers and constitutionalists.

He was removed for offensive comment, especially comparative - compare to bestiality and use sexual term. That's less than religious belief and if he is suspended for praying or tell a bible verses so that will be religious discrimination.

Not all gay people committed sexual intercourse.

I don't think any cable companies receive federal funding, except for tax credits from IRS. I only know PBS receive federal funding, but not other channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back