Driver turns tables on deputy

I do understand what you and Taylor are saying. But we are speaking of being "On Duty"

Not off duty.

Again people are people. But when a job needs to be done. It depends on how well a person does the job right and not to abuse the position.

I have seen bad press on just about every respected position. It does not mean that whole field of work is a bad. Just mean certain bad apples can spoil the whole bunch.... by making others look bad.

My post was in reference to people's assumptions whenever a cop is on break or parked.

As for speeding and etc, that's wrong of them just like it would be wrong of a teacher to single a student out negatively.

:)

Taylor, u are correct and I agree with u. I think it is something that people aren't really fully aware when they hold officers to different standard. I feel the same sometimes as a teacher, like if I tell someone I went out to a bar and drank alcohol, I would get criticized for not upholding a moral standard as an educator. I even got criticized and have had my status as a teacher used against me here on AD just because I have said things in a certain way or whatnot a few times. I have to remind some that I am here as who iam not as a teacher.

I don't know why you were criticized for going to the bar on your own time, it's not like you went out to a bar in the middle of teaching.

I do understand what you and Taylor are saying. But we are speaking of being "On Duty"

Not off duty.

Again people are people. But when a job needs to be done. It depends on how well a person does the job right and not to abuse the position.

I have seen bad press on just about every respected position. It does not mean that whole field of work is a bad. Just mean certain bad apples can spoil the whole bunch.... by making others look bad.

Amen!! :thumb:

I don't know why you were criticized for going to the bar on your own time, it's not like you went out to a bar in the middle of teaching.

I know..that's why I told Taylor that people may not be aware that they r holding people to different standards just because they work in a certain profession. As for the bar thing, in the olden days teachers were spinisters who were held to a higher standard so I guess people subconsicously adopt those views without realizing it. I admit that I do see cops differently that I see in a mailman and a cable guy. Lol

As for going to a bar while working, there have been days when I was VERY tempted to do so! Hahahahaha....

My post was in reference to people's assumptions whenever a cop is on break or parked.

As for speeding and etc, that's wrong of them just like it would be wrong of a teacher to single a student out negatively.

:)

I understand. But one will not party and drink on a break. While on duty.

That is what I was referring to.

Taylor, u are correct and I agree with u. I think it is something that people aren't really fully aware when they hold officers to different standard. I feel the same sometimes as a teacher, like if I tell someone I went out to a bar and drank alcohol, I would get criticized for not upholding a moral standard as an educator. I even got criticized and have had my status as a teacher used against me here on AD just because I have said things in a certain way or whatnot a few times. I have to remind some that I am here as who iam not as a teacher.

I do understand staff speaking among themselves. I have no qualms with that. But one does have to be careful of others as with anyone that is spoken to that may criticize you.

I have partied with officers, Lawyers, Doctors, Nurses... Many others. I do not hold it against them. I do not hold any off the wall comments against them either. Because I know they do their job right.

I just became a Director of a center. It does not bother me what the staff do on their own time. As long as they come to work clean and ready to do so. And is able to do their job right.

So....you are asserting that the presence of officers patroling in a particular area does nothing to reduce the level of crime in that area?

No.... he's asserting that PATROLLING the area (as in officer being in motion) "has no impact on crime in selected circumstances. What they do suggest, however, is that routine preventive patrol in marked police cars has little value in preventing crime or making citizens feel safe.

The overall implication is that resources ordinarily allocated to preventive patrol could safely be devoted to other, perhaps more productive, crime control strategies. More specifically, the results indicate that police deployment strategies could be based on targeted crime prevention and service goals rather than on routine preventive patrol."
(excerpt from Taylor's link)

As taylor stated - it is in his experience that more crimes occurred while parked instead of driving.

The laws are not 100% enforceable but the laws exist to allow police officers to charge them with at their discretion. Like Taylor said - we're not in a "Hitler State". I view police officers as "community peace officers - the intervenors" where they intervene in the potentially-dangerous situation. It's up to them to issue warning, ticket, or... to arrest you.

Just be glad that we're not enforced by MP (military police) because if you speed even just 5 mph above the speed limit, you will get ticketed. I don't care if the officer is cruising around, parking or eating at Dunkin' Donut (sorry for stereotypical cop-donut thing :lol:)... as long as he's on the street, being visible to public in any matter instead of staying at police station - I feel safe in knowing that there is somebody out there on the street, ready to respond at moment's notice.

I know..that's why I told Taylor that people may not be aware that they r holding people to different standards just because they work in a certain profession. As for the bar thing, in the olden days teachers were spinisters who were held to a higher standard so I guess people subconsicously adopt those views without realizing it. I admit that I do see cops differently that I see in a mailman and a cable guy. Lol

As for going to a bar while working, there have been days when I was VERY tempted to do so! Hahahahaha....

Shel, I totally forgot that you were a teacher...and you are a perfect example of what I was saying....Teachers are also often held to a different standard...and the example you made about the bar is good. Teachers are human too, and can go out to a bar or club just like anyone else...but your students parents may find it strange, etc.

Something that came to mind is cops that smoke cigarettes...or teachers that smoke. I was off duty, plain clothes, outside of my house grabbing a smoke when a neighbor said to me how strange it was that I was smoking (this neighbor is a smoker btw). Its not like I am in uniform, on the street corner of Main Street puffing away giving Marlboro's to toddlers.

As for the comments about being on-duty, the cops you see parked ARE on duty. I work nights only...my shift starts at 10pm and runs until 8am (soon to be 8pm to 8am). I don't get breaks as other employers are required to give their employees, I don't get a lunch hour as other employers are required to give their employees. I don't have the luxury of stopping work to call and make a doctors appointment, etc like civilian employees do.

Thats why I wonder why people get upset if they see a cop parked somewhere or grabbing a bite to eat. I eat when I can...and as Cheri can probably attest to, when I do, it is often interupted by a call. Many, many, many times I have ordered food, just to take a single bite and get a call and have to leave. I dont have the time to wait for the waitress to throw it in a box for me to eat in the road. I leave my uneaten meal on the table, pay for it, and then roll out to answer the call. Sometimes I dont even get the bite in (this happened to me last night).

OP = opening post?

Of course, its equipped for this Jill, DONT patronise me
im an Not black and white about things there are some arbitrarial considerations in some situation.
Just read Babyblue most recent post she said it (actually beat me to it - aside I just woke up)

why Jill always have to use the word "fact" and pound it upon us, you're hearing not deaf there is some form of slippage of superority?? knock it off,(i know you have a son whos d/Deaf but that doesnt give you a licence to be a 'queen of AD membership" you are a member, Not a Patron.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed, Grum?:giggle:

No.... he's asserting that PATROLLING the area (as in officer being in motion) "has no impact on crime in selected circumstances. What they do suggest, however, is that routine preventive patrol in marked police cars has little value in preventing crime or making citizens feel safe.

The overall implication is that resources ordinarily allocated to preventive patrol could safely be devoted to other, perhaps more productive, crime control strategies. More specifically, the results indicate that police deployment strategies could be based on targeted crime prevention and service goals rather than on routine preventive patrol."
(excerpt from Taylor's link)

As taylor stated - it is in his experience that more crimes occurred while parked instead of driving.

Uhh....that's not what he said at all.

Uhh....that's not what he said at all.

Thank You Jillio LOL...Jiro, when did I say that? I said that I OBSERVE more crime from a stationary position while watching a neighborhood...not that there is more crime, I can just see it better than just driving down the street. When parked, I can see people going in to a neighborhood to buy drugs, I can see who is out on their bicycles at 4am looking for cars to break in to or who is wandering around etc. This stuff goes on whether I'm there or not, so crime doesn't change, its just a matter of how much I observed.

Thank You Jillio LOL...Jiro, when did I say that? I said that I OBSERVE more crime from a stationary position while watching a neighborhood...not that there is more crime, I can just see it better than just driving down the street. When parked, I can see people going in to a neighborhood to buy drugs, I can see who is out on their bicycles at 4am looking for cars to break in to or who is wandering around etc. This stuff goes on whether I'm there or not, so crime doesn't change, its just a matter of how much I observed.

You're welcome.:giggle: Couldn't let that distortion just slide by!

I have misspoke. I don't mean the number of crimes INCREASE - statstically-wise - due to cops being in stationary position. What I meant is that while in stationary position, you're able to witness and intervene in more crimes than while in motion (while the crime rate remains same)

does that make better sense?

Back