Driver turns tables on deputy

ever see one who just turns it on to startle you and no you know he isnt testing his equipment (which is legal) but I think only on the pd grounds and not the highway. and he or she will turn it on just to startle you because it makes them laugh

I have had a highway patrol cut off in front of me and almost hit me in traffic (moving about 45mph) when he was trying to catch up to someone else way ahead, of course he did not have a siren on. Perhaps he was trying to nab a HOV (High Occupancy Vehicles) violators during rush hour. Perhaps he was trying to startle some drivers or not but without a siren on, it definitely would make every drivers nervous. There is good and bad cops out there, and civilians has to be vigilant all the time and obey them. If any law enforcement officer doing any misconducts, civilians have a right to file complaints to the top boss or court later on.

I have a friend of mine who is an officer I will ask him about this as he works for a fairly large police department. He can probably tell me what the policy is for HIS department, but I can't speak for every department because all implement their own policies regarding disciplining officers who violate traffic laws while on duty and are not responding to calls.

I know that ambulances when running code 3 (lights and siren) they are allowed to go only 15 mph over the speed limit. This is for the safety of everyone onboard including the patient, plus ambulances don't handle the same as a police cruiser does.

Actually, under state law (here in MD anyway), police do not have to follow traffic laws...only required to drive what is reasonable and prudent. The officer is responsible for anything bad that could occur and is up the creek if found that his actions were not reasonable and prudent. Most states have similar laws.

Cheri, in reply to your comment about the officer cutting you off to catch another violator..it sucks that he did that but there are other factors at play.
Something I do when I pull someone over is get behind them to read the tag. I call on the radio the tag number and where I will be stopping them. This is all done before I turn on my lights and sirens. This is a safety thing. I do not know if the car I'm stopping is stolen or was just used in a robbery, etc. I give all that information to my dispatchers before I pull them over. Also, if an officer is doing RADAR and someone flies past them doing 80....the officer would obviously have to speed to catch up to that car.

This thread reminded me of something that happened in a nearby county a few years ago. The officers wanted a pay raise since they had not had one in several years. Unlike other professions, officers are not allowed to strike (again, held to a different standard). So, what did the officers do instead of strike? They all went out and did exactly the posted speed limit on the highways. Guess what happened? Traffic backed up and slowed down...and everyone got pissed off because they were late for work, etc. I found it comical because people complain if an officer is speeding, but get upset when we do the speed limit and nobody will pass them, causing cars to stack up.

I got a complaint one time because I was doing 10mph over the speed limit. So, doing what I was supposed to, I would drive exactly the posted speed limit. And me doing that would screw up peoples commutes and I watched all the people who were speeding behind me catch up and then stay behind me. Before long, I had no cars in front of me and a backup behind me. So, should I speed so you can go on your merry way...or should I do the speed limit and let you sit in the back-up? I'd love to take anyone on a ride-along and show them that this does happen.

Actually, under state law (here in MD anyway), police do not have to follow traffic laws...only required to drive what is reasonable and prudent. The officer is responsible for anything bad that could occur and is up the creek if found that his actions were not reasonable and prudent. Most states have similar laws.

Cheri, in reply to your comment about the officer cutting you off to catch another violator..it sucks that he did that but there are other factors at play.
Something I do when I pull someone over is get behind them to read the tag. I call on the radio the tag number and where I will be stopping them. This is all done before I turn on my lights and sirens. This is a safety thing. I do not know if the car I'm stopping is stolen or was just used in a robbery, etc. I give all that information to my dispatchers before I pull them over. Also, if an officer is doing RADAR and someone flies past them doing 80....the officer would obviously have to speed to catch up to that car.

This thread reminded me of something that happened in a nearby county a few years ago. The officers wanted a pay raise since they had not had one in several years. Unlike other professions, officers are not allowed to strike (again, held to a different standard). So, what did the officers do instead of strike? They all went out and did exactly the posted speed limit on the highways. Guess what happened? Traffic backed up and slowed down...and everyone got pissed off because they were late for work, etc. I found it comical because people complain if an officer is speeding, but get upset when we do the speed limit and nobody will pass them, causing cars to stack up.

I got a complaint one time because I was doing 10mph over the speed limit. So, doing what I was supposed to, I would drive exactly the posted speed limit. And me doing that would screw up peoples commutes and I watched all the people who were speeding behind me catch up and then stay behind me. Before long, I had no cars in front of me and a backup behind me. So, should I speed so you can go on your merry way...or should I do the speed limit and let you sit in the back-up? I'd love to take anyone on a ride-along and show them that this does happen.

Could you please point me toward the statute that states that MD police officers on duty do not have to obey traffic laws when they are not in an emergency situation? I would really be interested in reading that.

Could you please point me toward the statute that states that MD police officers on duty do not have to obey traffic laws when they are not in an emergency situation? I would really be interested in reading that.

I will look up the exact statute when I get the chance but to prove my point to you. Police officer is driving 50mph. A car is speeding at 65mph. Are you saying the officer cannot speed up to pace or to stop that violator? It does not constitute and emergency situation. Its minor traffic law that is being enforced, so the officer cannot break the law by speeding to catch the violator? Or, police officer is behind a vehicle at red light and there is a sign that says "No Turn On Red". Car in front makes the turn....can the officer also not make the illegal right on red to stop the violator?

Think about it.

In response to the officers held to a higher standard then anyone else, why exactly is that? Why not the SAME standard as anyone else...Do laws apply more to a specific profession, or someones status level, etc. The saying justice is blind should hold true. It means everyone is treated equal under the color of the law. Why should a cops punishment be any different than yours. You get a 90 dollar ticket but things stay normal with your job, while he loses $10,000 in annual pay for a promotion? Would your employer demote you or not promote you if you get a traffic ticket? Why not? If that happened to you, I'm sure you would consider it unfair, would you not?

I have read in this forum numerous times about Deaf people getting a warning from a police officer, even for serious infractions. I've had my co-workers tell me they were more likely to issue a warning to someone who is Deaf than a ticket...even if it were something that they would normally write a ticket for. This conversation came up in reference to my girlfriend and her friends who HAVE BEEN STOPPED by police here and given warnings. So, if you were to get pulled over and the officer tells you he is giving you a warning, will you be the first to insist you get a ticket? Why should the standard for you be any different than someone else.\

The reality of it is that some people do not like the police. Sometimes these are justified, other times it is not....and often for various reasons. Most times, people dislike the authority of the government or the feeling that big brother is picking on them...or somehow intruding on their rights. The reality also exists that it is a job....that someone is paid to do. Someone who does things others do not (when was the last time, you wrestled a naked guy on PCP covered in blood?). How often do you come home with cuts, bruises, black eyes, etc. Ask my girlfriend...she is a member here...she will tell you about the injuries I regularly come home with...the times that my co-workers are injured and end up in the hospital, etc. All for pay that isn't worth it?

I find it funny that people will complain about an officer speeding, but complain when they call the police and took "forever" for an officer to get there. The complaint that officers speed, but get pissed off when you are stuck behind a cop on a highway. I have seen people (some on this board too) complain that they see officers parked somewhere talking instead of out enforcing laws, yet dont take a moment to consider that officers to not get a 15 minute break every 2 hours like most employers give...or that officers do not get a lunch break...

Think about those things....and take a moment to appreciate sacrifices that are given daily for those that serve their community

Wrong. Police officers are bound by the law as is any citizen, and are simply sworn to uphold the law.

there still the law and they uphold it as well if a officer tell you to go ahead and go through a red light (since its broken) do you not do it? of course you do you wont be breaking the law because he is the law

there still the law and they uphold it as well if a officer tell you to go ahead and go through a red light (since its broken) do you not do it? of course you do you wont be breaking the law because he is the law

No,they are not the law. It is when they begin to think that they are the law that they decide they are above it and become dangerous.

I find it funny that people will complain about an officer speeding, but complain when they call the police and took "forever" for an officer to get there. The complaint that officers speed, but get pissed off when you are stuck behind a cop on a highway. I have seen people (some on this board too) complain that they see officers parked somewhere talking instead of out enforcing laws, yet dont take a moment to consider that officers to not get a 15 minute break every 2 hours like most employers give...or that officers do not get a lunch break...

Think about those things....and take a moment to appreciate sacrifices that are given daily for those that serve their community

lol that's true, I'm one of them who complains. I'm sorry but sometimes when I see cops sitting in the parking lot especially on the weekends, and you see a vehicle weaving in and out of lanes, You could tell that the driver is under the influence of alcohol or whatever, and the cop does nothing. It does pissed me off, because I don't want to get hit and I don't want to get hurt. It makes you think, why didn't the officer pull that driver over? or what is the officer doing, is the officer paying attention to the traffic?

Are you talking about when a power still hasn't been restored to the traffic lights? That's not breaking the law. It's not about weather cops are the law or not. It's about the safely of all drivers, cops have to be there to prevents others from getting into an accident. I failed to see where you're going with this. lol

I see where u are going with this...at first, I didnt understand it but after thinking, I think I get what you are saying. U are saying that nobody will run a red light unless a cop gives permission?

However, cops arent the law.

I see where u are going with this...at first, I didnt understand it but after thinking, I think I get what you are saying. U are saying that nobody will run a red light unless a cop gives permission?

However, cops arent the law.

But cops not always there when traffic lights are down, I've seen where people go ahead and pass with caution. Does that mean we broke the law? No, You can't just sit there forever until a cop decides to show up.

But cops not always there when traffic lights are down, I've seen where people go ahead and pass with caution. Does that mean we broke the law? No, You can't just sit there forever until a cop decides to show up.

Yep. If a traffic signal goes out, and a cop is not there to direct traffic, the law says that you treat it the same as a 4 way stop sign and keep traffic moving.

That is not what I am saying. I am asking him if I am understanding what point he was trying to make correctly. I didnt state an opinion in my last post about anything.

That is not what I am saying. I am asking him if I am understanding what point he was trying to make correctly. I didnt state an opinion in my last post about anything.

Yea I know, Shel. It's not you. :)

Right, Jillio. :)

Yea I know, Shel. It's not you. :)

Right, Jillio. :)

Ok no problem. If that is what he meant then I was going to ask the same question u posed to him. But I guess he is MIA for now. :lol:

Has anyone ever seen an officer turn on the siren and flashing lights to get thru a traffic jam and then turn them off after getting through?

yeah. than seeing them get out of the squad car and walk into a diner

It's funny though, I've seen road construction people direct traffic too...

Are they the law? :D

lol that's true, I'm one of them who complains. I'm sorry but sometimes when I see cops sitting in the parking lot especially on the weekends, and you see a vehicle weaving in and out of lanes, You could tell that the driver is under the influence of alcohol or whatever, and the cop does nothing. It does pissed me off, because I don't want to get hit and I don't want to get hurt. It makes you think, why didn't the officer pull that driver over? or what is the officer doing, is the officer paying attention to the traffic?

But how come people do not get pissed of when the mailman is sitting there doing something, or the Comcast Cable guy. Thats kind of the point I was trying to make...what makes police different or have to be to a different standard? Lets say I come to your house because of a burglary and I take the report...thats a lot of paperwork to do. After I leave your house, I have two options. I can park somewhere, in the post or area I'm assigned to handle, and I can type my report on my computer and still respond to calls. My only other option is to go back to the station, become out of service, and type my report there. That is one less officer on the street to answer calls. The district I work, there are typically 7 to 10 officers on the street at a time. On a busy night, there could be a time where all of us have reports to do. Should be all go back tot he station and call out of service so nobody is covering the street? Or can I park in my area, be available for calls, and type the report in my car.

Or, after running 10 calls in a row, why is it wrong for me to park somewhere and speak to another officer about something or anything? Is it any different than another workplace when you walk to the copier and you ask another employee how her date last night went or how his kids are doing? So why is it a crime if an officer parks somewhere and does the same? I work a 10 hour shift...the other night I ran 19 calls for service. When things quieted down, why is there an objection if I stop and take a breather?

Those are the kinds of things I'm referring to. People act as if cops are not human, and that a cop should live by different standards. I once stopped for a bite at a McDonalds and someone asked me why I was there instead of out fighting crime. Yet, this same person was in the same place ordering a meal. Why should I not be able to grab a lunch when you are doing the same thing? Am I God and not require food, or rest, or sleep? Why is it that people speed or miss a traffic light and its "a mistake" but an officer does it, he should be fired? We are driving a car with four wheels, just like you...why is the standard different?

Last edited:
Back