Driver turns tables on deputy

cops are paid to enforce the law, they dont make the laws. Policy makers, courthouses do that.

Right..

Wow, this topic had degenerated.

Wasn't the original question whether officers have to use lights and sirens everytime they are going to a higher priority call?

answer: No

or maybe I am thinking of another thread.

lol, my thoughts exactly, it is silly to assume every cops are this corrupt. There are such things as genuine emergencies that they DO have to snake their way through and Fast. Someone's life could be on the line if slow arrival is possibility, so by all means when cirucmstances are bad, they dont fuck about. We (public) dont (always) know what is going on. Has anyone actually got a freind who has a CB radio with police frequency? ask them, - they'd tell you, "shit alot more is going on in town, we read newspapers but they say fuck-all there, lots more going on", I know this because one of my freind leaves the car radio (yes ordinary one) on at that exact freq, you know why? so he knows where the cops are, and what streets to use for speeding as he is a care-giver to the severely disabled (on call in case the bag needs changing- fast, etc etc) no joke here.

I think you are overlooking the fact, Grummer, that if time is of the essence in responding to the call, that is exactly what lights and sirens are for. To warn motorists to get out of the approaching officer's way so that he/she can get to the emergency destination in a timely manner. If traffic is heavy, it is even more imperative for drivers to know that there is an approaching emergency vehicle that needs clearance to get through. That is why emergency vehicles are equipped with lights and sirens.

Additionally, no one is saying all cops take advantage of their position. However, to say that none do is absurd.

The OP was about the fact that this was a cop who was caught seriously exceeding the speed limit, and was not on an emergency call. Is that to say all cops do this? Of course not. Is it to say that some do? Yes, it is.

Agreed Jillio! :thumb:

Not all cops are good and not all cops are bad, but some are.

I have a family member who is a cop, and he was telling me about one day when he was giving a ticket to someone who was speeding. This lady started yelling spurting out expletives like "Don't you have anything f'in better to do? F'in cops sitting around on their f'in ass handin' out the f'in tickets instead of capturing criminals. F'in asses." I'm sure cops deal with those people every day.

I also know someone my age who recently became a cop. Sometimes he does things I don't like and probably illegal. He was telling a story about how they arrested a burglar and in the car, they would purposefully stop suddenly when no one was looking, so that the burglar (who was handcuffed) would fall forward and jam his head/face against the dividing wall.

I think most cops are good people, but sometimes they can let the power get to their heads.

I have a family member who is a cop, and he was telling me about one day when he was giving a ticket to someone who was speeding. This lady started yelling spurting out expletives like "Don't you have anything f'in better to do? F'in cops sitting around on their f'in ass handin' out the f'in tickets instead of capturing criminals. F'in asses." I'm sure cops deal with those people every day.

I also know someone my age who recently became a cop. Sometimes he does things I don't like and probably illegal. He was telling a story about how they arrested a burglar and in the car, they would purposefully stop suddenly when no one was looking, so that the burglar (who was handcuffed) would fall forward and jam his head/face against the dividing wall.

I think most cops are good people, but sometimes they can let the power get to their heads.

That lady obviously was trying to project her guilt on the cop.

As for stopping suddenly..too bad for the burglar! :lol:

But yea, u are right..cops are human and can become egostical about their power to enforce the law. However, I believe most cops are really passionate about their jobs protecting the public.

I'm sorry but that was hilarious. :laugh2: I supposed she wasn't in her best mood that day.

I do understand that cops do kill the sirens and lights on certain incidents.

I have seen them speed up to catch up to a car that was speeding before he flipped his lights on.

and seen that they do kill the siren before approaching a home in possible dangerous situation.

I have ALSO seen officers abuse their authority. Several were fired from a local station for doing so.

Cops are human. Some make stupid choices, like anyone else may do.

We have crooked cops and we have good cops.

We have honest law abiding ones and we have some that takes advantage of the authority.

This cop actually got caught abusing his authority! In the O.P.

To some of the ADers that may be in law enforcements. It does not mean all are bad. But we do have some that are. Just as with any job. Certain people do not respect their jobs enough. Those are the ones that makes others look bad. So instead of blaming other ADers. Blame the officers that does not abide by the law, that they are suppose to uphold.

OP = opening post?

Of course, its equipped for this Jill, DONT patronise me
im an Not black and white about things there are some arbitrarial considerations in some situation.
Just read Babyblue most recent post she said it (actually beat me to it - aside I just woke up)

why Jill always have to use the word "fact" and pound it upon us, you're hearing not deaf there is some form of slippage of superority?? knock it off,(i know you have a son whos d/Deaf but that doesnt give you a licence to be a 'queen of AD membership" you are a member, Not a Patron.

Last edited:
I guess I am part of the problem with this thread degenerating, and for that I apologize.

Are there officers that screw up? Yes...I was never denying that. Should those officers be punished? Absolutely!!!

The point of some of my posts is that because you see something, doesn't mean you know everything that is going on. You see a police officer speeding down the road...is he just speeding, or is he responding to something?

Contrary to popular belief, it is EXTREMELY dangerous for both police officers and the general public when an officer uses lights or sirens. I'll see if I can find the post here but a long time ago, I posted some videos from my dash cam just to show how dangerous it is. Its not an option to respond to every single call that way....and as much as driving fast can be fun, I would not want to respond to every call that way because of the danger factor.

Jillio, I am not asserting that the presence of a police officer in an area does not deter crime...my point being is it makes no difference if I am parked in that area, or drive around in my car. That was the point I was making about the mailman and Comcast guy...Its the end of the world if an officer parks somewhere but nobody has a problem with others doing it. Frankly, I'm not sure what the big deal is and why it bothers people if an officer parks for whatever reason...nor do I understand the double standard that exists and why officers are held to a different standard for the simple things, such as parking.

I'm assuming that you have exceeded the speed limit, or missed the yellow light and it turned red before you got to it...or do not come to a complete stop at every single stop sign you come to. For the general public "Oh, it was a mistake"...if an officer does it, it makes him hitlers right hand man who should be fired and spend the rest of his life in jail.

Compare it to other professions. I was recently promoted and there was a ceremony at the government building. I wanted my loved ones to be there, so I hired an interpreter for it. Gloria later told me that the terp had missed some words and stopped altogether at some points. Well, isn't it the terp's responsibility to make sure all is translated? Should I have called her employer and tried to get her fired? Should I follow her to all of her other jobs, videotape them, and post them on youtube?

No, I accepted that the people in the ceremony were talking to fast and there were parts that were missed through no intentional harm of her own...and I was glad the terp came, made herself available, and provided my family the ability to participate in something that was important to me.

My point being, I dont exect a double standard in other professions...and dont think a double standard should exist for police officers. If a police officer breaks the law, then the penalty should be similar to everyone else. If it warrants firing, then so be it...but should be the same as those in other fields.

Taylor, u are correct and I agree with u. I think it is something that people aren't really fully aware when they hold officers to different standard. I feel the same sometimes as a teacher, like if I tell someone I went out to a bar and drank alcohol, I would get criticized for not upholding a moral standard as an educator. I even got criticized and have had my status as a teacher used against me here on AD just because I have said things in a certain way or whatnot a few times. I have to remind some that I am here as who iam not as a teacher.

Taylor, u are correct and I agree with u. I think it is something that people aren't really fully aware when they hold officers to different standard. I feel the same sometimes as a teacher, like if I tell someone I went out to a bar and drank alcohol, I would get criticized for not upholding a moral standard as an educator. I even got criticized and have had my status as a teacher used against me here on AD just because I have said things in a certain way or whatnot a few times. I have to remind some that I am here as who iam not as a teacher.

I do understand what you and Taylor are saying. But we are speaking of being "On Duty"

Not off duty.

Again people are people. But when a job needs to be done. It depends on how well a person does the job right and not to abuse the position.

I have seen bad press on just about every respected position. It does not mean that whole field of work is a bad. Just mean certain bad apples can spoil the whole bunch.... by making others look bad.

just like this!!!

[yt]BVSbBV21O-o[/yt]

the transcript is not needed because the driver is basically saying exactly like what DD said. But at 1:20 minute, the driver angrily ripped the ticket and threw it outside. The police officer calmly told the driver to pick up the papers or he will ticket the driver for littering. At the end - the officer said "Bye" or "Have a good day" but the driver already left.

It WAS funny. He should have responded with "I AM THE LAW!!!!!" :)

like Judge Dredd? Fortunately... in America, those who think such thing is either reprimanded or fired.

2wr0nio.gif

I am not against cops. I have been pulled over for speeding before..Yup.. :shock:

Cop asked me, what was my hurry... I told him I was just trying to keep up with the traffic. :giggle:

He was nice enough to give me a warning.

Back