Driver turns tables on deputy

But how come people do not get pissed of when the mailman is sitting there doing something, or the Comcast Cable guy. Thats kind of the point I was trying to make...what makes police different or have to be to a different standard? Lets say I come to your house because of a burglary and I take the report...thats a lot of paperwork to do. After I leave your house, I have two options. I can park somewhere, the post or area I'm assigned to handle, and I can type my report on my computer. My only other option is to go back to the station, become out of service, and type my report there. That is one less officer on the street to answer calls. The district I work, there are typically 7 to 10 officers on the street at a time. On a busy night, there could be a time where all of us have reports to do. Should be all go back tot he station and call out of service so nobody is covering the street? Or can I park in my area, be available for calls, and type the report in my car.

Or, after running 10 calls in a row, why is it wrong for me to park somewhere and speak to another officer about something or anything? Is it any different than another workplace when you walk to the copier and you ask another employee how her date last night went or how his kids are doing? So why is it a crime if an officer parks somewhere and does the same? I work a 10 hour shift...the other night I ran 19 calls for service. When things quieted down, why is there an objection if I stop and take a breather?

Those are the kinds of things I'm referring to. People act as if cops are not human, and that a cop should live by different standards. I once stopped for a bite at a McDonalds and someone asked me why I was there instead of out fighting crime. Yet, this same person was in the same place ordering a meal. Why should I not be able to grab a lunch when you are doing the same thing? Am I God and not require food, or rest, or sleep? Why is it that people speed or miss a traffic light and its "a mistake" but an officer does it, he should be fired? We are driving a car with four wheels, just like you...why is the standard different?

Because I dont have a siren and flashing lights on my car so I can cheat traffic! :lol:

All kidding aside..u have a good point. Maybe cops are held to a different standard because they have the power to take criminals off of the streets while nobody else can?

Because I dont have a siren and flashing lights on my car so I can cheat traffic! :lol:

All kidding aside..u have a good point. Maybe cops are held to a different standard because they have the power to take criminals off of the streets while nobody else can?

Good point. The Comcast Guy or the Mailman aren't on the streets to protect people.

Taylor---

Cops are supposed to protect and serve while they're on duty. It's their job. Like it's my job as a chef to serve customers satisfaction, make sure the food preparation is at the right temperature, etc. Everyone has job responsibilities. I don't care if cops gets lunch, I have cops coming to my restaurant often, but when they got an emergency call, they gonna take the call, isn't that why they're police officers? to protect his or her fellow citizens, to catch criminals, to collect evidences, to testify in court, prevent crimes, gives out traffic tickets, files reports at the end of the day, or during the day etc. The most important thing is that police officers are our protectors, am I right? ;)

I know police officers are humans just like us, but they uphold the law. When I told you about the driver weaving in and out of lanes, You could tell that the driver is under the influence of alcohol or whatever, when a cop did nothing, it directly puts the public lives in danger, don't you think I have every right to be in fear of the possibility of losing my life over a drunk driver? Of course, I wanted that driver off the road.

He is probably lucky he didn't get shot.

Not too bright chasing a guy with a gun who might have cause to fear for his life as you would almost have to be crazy to do that.

Yes I agree with you that the guy is very lucky.

Sure, the police might be hypocrites but the guy also broke the traffic law, too for filming while driving.

Last edited:
An officer who willingly and knowingly uses their badge as an excuse not to obey the same laws they are sworn to uhold should receive a stiffer punishment than the average citizen. How can the public have any faith and confidence in an officer of the law that blatantly demonstrates that he believes he is above the very laws that he holds the rest of society to? To behave in this manner is to violate not just the law, but the trust of the public he is sworn to serve. An officer who is not capable of applying the same standards to himself as he applies to everyone else doesn't deserve a promotion. What prevented his promotion was not the act he was found guilty of, but the attitude that he was somehow exempt from the very same laws the rest of society are bound by.

Exactly!!!

Has anyone ever seen an officer turn on the siren and flashing lights to get thru a traffic jam and then turn them off after getting through?

No, I haven´t see anything except ambulance car few times. I was like :roll: and told my hubby that I hope police will see it but I never thought that the police officer did the same thing after read the whole thread here... :shock:

Are you talking about when a power still hasn't been restored to the traffic lights? That's not breaking the law. It's not about weather cops are the law or not. It's about the safely of all drivers, cops have to be there to prevents others from getting into an accident. I failed to see where you're going with this. lol

no I mean if the redlight is still on and stays on the red because its screwed up or whatever im saying the officer is the law by that hell tell you go through the red light, but you know thats illegal , he is the law, nuff said

Taylor---

Cops are supposed to protect and serve while they're on duty. It's their job. Like it's my job as a chef to serve customers satisfaction, make sure the food preparation is at the right temperature, etc. Everyone has job responsibilities. I don't care if cops gets lunch, I have cops coming to my restaurant often, but when they got an emergency call, they gonna take the call, isn't that why they're police officers? to protect his or her fellow citizens, to catch criminals, to collect evidences, to testify in court, prevent crimes, gives out traffic tickets, files reports at the end of the day, or during the day etc. The most important thing is that police officers are our protectors, am I right? ;)

I know police officers are humans just like us, but they uphold the law. When I told you about the driver weaving in and out of lanes, You could tell that the driver is under the influence of alcohol or whatever, when a cop did nothing, it directly puts the public lives in danger, don't you think I have every right to be in fear of the possibility of losing my life over a drunk driver? Of course, I wanted that driver off the road.

Cheri, you are absolutely right but kind of prove my point. Part of protecting the public is to be out and about in your assigned area, even if parked. For example, the District I work in is divided up in to 6 sectors (we call them posts here). If I am parked within my area or close by, I am still doing what I am supposed to do. If you dont want me parked there, and go back to the station to do my report there, that means my area is not covered. This means that when you call 911 for an emergency, I am either responding from the station at a greater distance, or an officer from another post will respond, again, being further away.

As for the drunk driver, how much did the officer see? In order for any kind of DUI case to hold up, the driver needs to be observed for some time by the officer. If the officer is parked, is he going to see the driver swerving in the few seconds as the car passes? Probably not. Your best option in that case is to stop and tell the officer what you saw. He can then follow the car and develop the probable cause needed to stop the car and investigate the driver. You followed the car for a distance and saw the guy swerving over a distance. Thats not something that is readily visible to a parked officer. And its difficult to make the argument that if the officer were moving instead of parked, then he would have caught the guy. Chances are if that officer were moving, he would not have been in the area at all to see the guy. In the case you mention, I would have been happy to found the officer parked so I could tell him what I saw.

The problem with DUI/DWI is we cannot stop a car based solely on another persons observation. If a citizen tells me "Hey, that guys drunk" and points to a car, all I can do is follow him and watch for a violation or swerving, etc. If the guy drives perfectly, then I don't even have the probable cause to make a traffic stop. Also, cops cannot be everywhere at the same time and often rely on the public to help us out. If you see a drunk driver or something suspicious, let an officer know so it can be investigated.

Good point. The Comcast Guy or the Mailman aren't on the streets to protect people.

I'm confused...are you saying that if an officer is parked somewhere and watching traffic, you are less safe than if he were driving? Does his police powers cease to exist when a police car gear shift is placed in park?

I'm missing your point...what is the difference between the Comcast guy who is parked when he could be going to his next appointment or the mailman not driving his route but there is a problem if a police officer parked?

BTW, in my own experience, I come across more crime while parked instead of driving. Just a quick example, I can sit in a shopping center parking lot and watch drug transactions across the street in public housing without anyone noticing Im there. Or, I can do it your way, and just drive down the street and not see a thing because the lookout called me out to the dealers who are now gone before I'm even on that street. Actually, my preferred method of stopping crime is to park my car and walk around...I can see more, hear more, soak up the surroundings...and walk up on crime without being noticed.

Just curious about what type of training in law enforcement you have that you know how to do the job better than I do? When you have your car fixed, do you also stand over the mechanics shoulder and tell him how tight the spark plugs need to be or the gap required in the piston rings? When you go to a restaurant, do you go in the kitchen and tell the cook at what temperature to cook your chicken at and what seasons to use? I doubt you do, but you will sit here and tell me how to be an effective police officer. I don't get it.

I'm trying to find links to several studies that were done nationwide that tracked the crime rate with officers driving around vs parked in a location. Part of the study consisted of all officers driving around looking for crime. The other part of the study had each officer park in a central location in his beat. Guess how much of a difference it made in the crime rate? None..zip.

I'm confused...are you saying that if an officer is parked somewhere and watching traffic, you are less safe than if he were driving? Does his police powers cease to exist when a police car gear shift is placed in park?

I'm missing your point...what is the difference between the Comcast guy who is parked when he could be going to his next appointment or the mailman not driving his route but there is a problem if a police officer parked?

BTW, in my own experience, I come across more crime while parked instead of driving. Just a quick example, I can sit in a shopping center parking lot and watch drug transactions across the street in public housing without anyone noticing Im there. Or, I can do it your way, and just drive down the street and not see a thing because the lookout called me out to the dealers who are now gone before I'm even on that street. Actually, my preferred method of stopping crime is to park my car and walk around...I can see more, hear more, soak up the surroundings...and walk up on crime without being noticed.

Just curious about what type of training in law enforcement you have that you know how to do the job better than I do? When you have your car fixed, do you also stand over the mechanics shoulder and tell him how tight the spark plugs need to be or the gap required in the piston rings? When you go to a restaurant, do you go in the kitchen and tell the cook at what temperature to cook your chicken at and what seasons to use? I doubt you do, but you will sit here and tell me how to be an effective police officer. I don't get it.

I'm trying to find links to several studies that were done nationwide that tracked the crime rate with officers driving around vs parked in a location. Part of the study consisted of all officers driving around looking for crime. The other part of the study had each officer park in a central location in his beat. Guess how much of a difference it made in the crime rate? None..zip.

So....you are asserting that the presence of officers patroling in a particular area does nothing to reduce the level of crime in that area?

Jillio was responding to my post that was in reference to why people hold cops to a different standard. I said it could be because you have the power to take criminals off the street and she replied saying that the mailman and the cable guy dont have that power. I dont see anything about people saying that it made a difference whether crime was reduced or not. :dunno:

no I mean if the redlight is still on and stays on the red because its screwed up or whatever im saying the officer is the law by that hell tell you go through the red light, but you know thats illegal , he is the law, nuff said

You are incorrect..if a signal light is not working and there are no cops around, the law is that we treat it as a 4 way stop street. Cheri brought up a good point..we cant sit at a broken signal light waiting for the cops to show up.

cops are paid to enforce the law, they dont make the laws. Policy makers, courthouses do that. Pigshits get cocky, they start breaking the laws, abusing it. IMO they should put real tough rules for police I have seen too much of double standards in court outcomes for 'punishment' they just get a slap on the wrist. They're the biggest 'gang'.

Back