Dr. Phil Show Features DeafBlind Triplets who Received CIs

Damnit. I don't watch Dr. Phil so I missed this. :/ That sucks 'cause I have read about the Deafblind triplets girls before and have been curious as to their progress. I read an articile about them somewhere on the net. They explained How much all 3 girls sees & their language developement & etc. I think it said that one girl sees some light & colors as she is legally blind. The other one can only see where windows are. The 3rd one is completely blind. It also said that the legally blind girl is at about a 22 mos old level 'cause of her legally blind status, kinda helps her. The other two girls are at like 10 mos. I don't remember how old they are now though? I believe 3? It also explained how they were blind 1st then became Deaf due to meds. Their Mother was struggling with the girls because all 3 girls would just lay in a fetal postition and cry. Wouldn't trust anyone & just had a really rough time. Mom took them to the Dr. thinking they all had some type of stomach pain, but that is when she found out that they were losing that theier daughters are now deafblind. She commented on how bad she felt, wondering if her girls thought that their Mama just suddenly stopped talking to them. The one new thing I learned was the fact that it said that deafblind children doesn't sleep well at night. I never knew that. She said something about they get put to bed at like 9-9:30. One of the trips tends to stay up til midnight. One [or was it both?[ tends to get up at 3'ish am. So the parents aren't getting much sleep. :/ Interesting read. I wish I remember where I read it at so I could provide a link. :/

deafmama,

You may be surprised to learn that it's not unusual for totally blind children or adults to have difficulty sleeping. This is due to the lack of a circadian rhythm and an inability to see light. Since totally blind children/adults can't tell light from dark, their internal body clock doesn't work the same way as someone who can see.

Here's an article which discusses the use of Melatonin and how it restores sleep patterns in the blind:

Melatonin Used to Restore Sleep Patterns in Blind People - New York Times

I just checked the website and it does not have any transcripts.

I also noticed this quote from the website: "George helps share the burden, but now wonders what he got himself into." What kind of a statement is that?? :pissed:

Sure, it may take more commitment to raise a deafblind child (or in their case, triplets), but this responsibility shouldn't be thought of as a "burden."

they did have transcript on the website... you need to click on each box...

And to say... BLESS THEIR HEARTS!!!

wondering anyone here can do the lyrics of the song "behind those eyes" as I love music and I love reading lyrics.. any volunteers?? just msg me if you can.. thanks and with appreciation.

I found more information about Sophie, Emma and Zoe. Interestingly enough, I lost my vision and hearing the same way they did (retinopathy of prematurity and antibiotics given to me in the NICU):

About the Triplets : Through Your Eyes The Movie : Documentary

Emma, Sophie, and Zoe Dunn were born premature, at 25 weeks. All three became blind from complications related to Retinopathy of Prematurity. Sophie is legally blind, while Emma and Zoe are totally blind. The girls lost their hearing due to antibiotics that were administered in the NICU. They completely lost their hearing when they were about 20 months old. It was a very difficult time for the family. They didn't know what was wrong with their babies. But in spite of everything, the girls made significant progress their first year. They were about to start walking... they were saying "cup" and "mama"... then all of a sudden, they curled up on the floor in the fetal position. Every time they rode in the car they would throw up. These three happy babies became angry and began to bang their heads on the floor.

They also became distrustful during this time. They became clingy and wouldn't play anymore. They would become startled when you picked them up and they always seemed to be on edge. It has taken more than three years for them to recover and begin walking again. Most of the angry behavior is gone too. But the deafness was a huge setback. They lost at least two years of what they had learned.

The odds are stacked against them. There is no way for their parents to give them everything they need. The social services do not exist in this country to provide them with the necessary intervenors. The extreme financial burden rests solely on the shoulders of their parents.

The Dunn sisters do not have the help Helen Keller received, and they need three Annie Sullivans. But with notbysightfund.org, three Annie Sullivans' can come into their lives and teach them to engage this world. Helen Keller's story shows us these girls can do anything they want, if they are only taught to unlock their minds. Notbysightfund.org's mission is to raise the necessary means to do just that.

they did have transcript on the website... you need to click on each box...

What boxes? (I use a screen reader and Braille display which can't recognize graphics.)

Can you tell me what part of the page to look at (left, right, middle, bottom) to find these boxes?

What boxes? (I use a screen reader and Braille display which can't recognize graphics.)

Can you tell me what part of the page to look at (left, right, middle, bottom) to find these boxes?

middle of this page... let me know if you can see it...

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Silent Darkness

you click on the red link with underlined... like this

See a day in their life.

I read that link earlier, but didn't know it was a transcript of the show. Thanks! :)

Canuckian Chick,

I tried sending you a PM, but it wouldn't go through.

Here are the lyrics to "Behind Those Eyes"

You said "I have something to say"
then you got that look in your eyes.
"There is something you've got to know"
and you said it as you started to cry.

I've been down the wrong road tonight
and I swear I'll never go there again
I've seen this face once before
and I don't think I can do this again

There's something I can see
there's something different in the way you smile
behind those eyes you lie
and there's nothing I can say
'cause I'm never gonna change your mind
behind those eyes you hide

As you turned to walk away
I saw another look in your eyes
and even though it hurt like it did
I couldn't let this be a goodbye Oh no

You say that you're sorry
and you say now that it hurts you the same
Is there something here to believe
or is it just another part of the game?

and theres nothing I can say

ohh yeah
ohh woah

Behind those eyes you lie

There's nothing I can say

There's nothing I can say
that's ever gonna make you change your mind

Behind those eyes you lie

FYI...You can find song lyrics on the Internet by typing a song title into Google followed by the word lyrics. For example, "Behind Those Eyes lyrics."

Man, there's no way any of that can be easy for the mother. But part of me is thinking "jesus, those girls are -way- behind others their age" and that's sad. There's no way two parents can provide three deafblind children with the support they need, as much as I hate to say that. There's not enough hours in a day.

Do you realize the natural father divorced himself from this situation immediately? We can not say anything about the step-father as he is still there living in this household!

I watched the show. The girls are 6 yrs old now, and all are still in diapers. It really seemed like they had no services, or at least none were mentioned in the show. They had CIs, but no mention was made of them or how they do with them. The Mom said they have a lot of balance issues, and Dr Phil said they have the communication of 10 month olds. It didn't mention that they were in school either. At 6, the school should definitely be involved. It seems like for 3 children with that degree of disability (it seemed like they might have other developmental issues besides just deaf/blind, though they didn't say) should be eligible for all kinds of services.

The father is really the stepfather (the biological father skipped out when they were born). I can't imagine how difficult it would be with 3 children all with the same disabilities, all needing your attention 100% of the day, and you feeling like you can never do enough. And then there is an older child with no disabilities who needs attention too.

That's really sad and how is it they have the language skills of ten months old infants depsite CIs? It sounds like they never got the help they needed. Something stinks here. :pissed:

Last edited:
I watched yesterday... It broke my heart...it was very hard on the parents... i am glad they will get some help...

I watch the show when it first aired in January and did not know they even had a colchlear implants at the time. I was trying to verify that information on different boards and I found this:

Deafblind Triplet Daughters

This seems to have a great deal of information on the triplets communications needs and the help they are getting.

John

Wow, based on that article, they left an awful LOT of stuff out of the Dr Phil show! According to the article, the girls ARE in school and getting support, they do get benefit from the implants, and there are no other major disabilities. I certainly didn't get that from the show!

They are definitely in school. I did an appeal for a bilateral implant for a family whose child was in school with them. That mother mentioned that she thought the girls had been turned down for second implants, I told her to tell the mom to call me, but never heard back. I also e-mailed Dr. Phil last night in case they can pass the information on to the mom.

Sheri
Wow, based on that article, they left an awful LOT of stuff out of the Dr Phil show! According to the article, the girls ARE in school and getting support, they do get benefit from the implants, and there are no other major disabilities. I certainly didn't get that from the show!

That's because it doesn't make for sensationalistic, ratings-grabbing shows as opposed to "poor little deaf-blind kids." Good ol' Dr. Phil lives on misery and dysfunction like most of us breathe air.

I saw this on my TiVo but opted not to record it. I'm with Vampyrox, I dislike Dr. Phil immensely and would rather read about these kids or see them in a neutral context, so thanks to everyone who provided those links.

I did saw but not whole.. I am soo proud of Step father take over and care of Her kids!!!

What happen and where with Girl's paternal father?

Indeed. Although I'm not deaf blind, I do have a multiple handicap disorder (hoh with bunch of other things) I've got the "Oh it must be so horrible to be deaf", but then again I've gotten the "You're disabled?!?! response from people who I've grown up with. I remember I used to think that I wanted to be hearing, but now realize that I was just not accepting the fact that I was "different." My being hoh is just who I am....Just like my friend Nancia is Greek, I am hoh.
Ever get the "I'll pray for you." people?

I actually stood in a public place and had a woman tell my son (she saw us signing together) that if he "prayed hard enough, God would heal him." He was only 7 years old!" I interpreted for him just to see what his response would be, and he signed back, "Not sick."

Back