Don't You Hate it When People Assume That Since You Have H.A.'s You Hear Perfectly?

I Agree !!

You should say back "How old were you when you became so stupid or were you born that way!'

Your response is somewhat like mine, which is..

"Do you work hard at being stupid.. or does it just come naturally?"

Shi-Ku (I'd like to :slap: them in the mouth a few times!) Chishiki

ShiKu.Chishiki@Gmail.com

oh, guess my new thread under "General" name "Today at Work" shoulda gone here-

I bet people heard this one before! I will be on the phone and say to the other party " I can't heard you very well could you speak a little louder"
And the other party well say" I can hear you you just fine!" I answer back " How does that help me!" You want to scream at that point!
One in awhile people ask where me was I born , people think I have a
Spanish accent! A Mexican man said I had a lovely Spanish accent! I said thank you , I did not to made the guy feel stupid by telling him I have speech impediment! I was really shock the guy thought I had a Spanish accent!

I went to motor Vehicle bureau recently and I explained to the woman behind the counter that I wear hearing aids and that even with them in I need hear to look at me when she speaks and to try to speak up. So what does she do? Looks down and speaks softly. I repeat my request, and again she looks down and speaks softly. The woman next to her tells her she needs to "speak up honey, he can't hear you", she continues to speak softly. My wife tries to intervene and answer her questions, but the woman now speaks up and says" he has to answer the questions madam". There's a certain point where being nice just doesn't matter.

That's just blatant disrespect. What is wrong with people? I don't care if she was having a bad day; it has a negative effect on other people if she decides to bring her bad mood to work.

Yeppers, I get that "You speak so well so you must hear well too." Doesnt matter if I have a bilateral dB loss of 110 to 120 since birth. :roll:

Yup. I got that the other day. :roll: I speak well but that doesn't mean that I have much hearing.

Last edited:
I am laughing so hard, all these things posted have happened to me. Lynch the mumblers and rude hearies! Ha ha.

what's really frustrating is when your family thinks that! It's very discouraging - they know I have a 90db loss and still say smart @$$ things like "do you have your hearing aids in?" as if I could even hear enough of what they're saying without them in. GRRRRRRRRR

so rude people aren't necessarily 'outsiders', sometimes they're family. :(

Oh I've had that too Ridemiown, don't worry. I've had more than just family say it too. I just don't think anything of it as I've just gotten used to it.

what's really frustrating is when your family thinks that! It's very discouraging - they know I have a 90db loss and still say smart @$$ things like "do you have your hearing aids in?" as if I could even hear enough of what they're saying without them in. GRRRRRRRRR

so rude people aren't necessarily 'outsiders', sometimes they're family. :(

Ditto especially with my father....

I find that often if I ask people to repeat something they will get angry or tell me that I'm not paying attention or that I have "selective hearing". I then try to explain that with hearing aids, they only amplify the sound and do not clarify the sound but people don't seem to understand. It makes me very angry. This also happens when I ask to turn on the CC... I am told that they will just turn it up. Well, that's nice that you are going to turn it up for me but it's not going to clarify the words. :mad2:

Ignorance. :roll:

gosh my dad assumes that abt me all the freaking time. its always making me angry. Some days i would have a hard time hearing stuff because its either the weather is changing or i need to get another tune up for my CI or change my batteries for my HA and CI. and as for the volume for the television, if there are no CC for me avaliable in school they turn it up and just suddenly think its gonna help me. but it doesnt really. it just makes it worse for me. My dad always asks me if i'm hearing okay if i go: "huh? what" all the time on whatever day it is. or just assumes that i'm not paying attention to him and then i get into trouble if i tell him i am paying attention but i cant understand what hes saying because he talks pretty fast. and then if i try to tell him something he would interuppt me saying i'm not paying attention and assume me that i'm talking back and i just want to cry or yell at him because he doesn't understand this at all.

I can understand about strangers having that misconception but parents? What's wrong with them? If they are doing that, that means they didnt take the time to understand deafness fully. I think that's a shame.

I hear ok on the cell phone, but not perfectly like most would expect. I can hear my mom, sis, and gf pretty well on the phone and I like hearing their voices. Its more difficult with the guys in my family cause they have low voices. I think my dad's the only guy that I can understand well on the phone as he talks to me often.

Usually people repeat for me if I ask them. I haven't really met someone who was rude to me when it comes to conversations.

I rarely use my cell phone as a phone. i use it as texting. My pit director tried calling me one time in winter drumline and i could barely hear him and it was hard for me to understand him when most guys have low voices as MoonDrifter says. My sister is almost abt 13 years old and she talks very quietly on the phone and i'm always having a hard time hearing her when i need to be picked up from my school from after school activites from band rehersals and knowing what my mom called my sister of when shes going to be home and when i cant understand her i would go: "Keri, what did you say?" and she would repeat it again but talk quietly, and i would say: "whattt??" and then she just hang up on me on my phone.

I get really angry about that when she hang up on the phone on me. When i'm at home, i hear pretty good because my dad knows to speak up on the phone and talk loudly and clearly. My mom is kind of the same thing as my sister but i always tell her to speak up and talk clearly when it comes to the phone. Most of the times when its my friends calling me i'll use speakerphone because my cellphone speaker phone is really good for me to use (and recomennded for deaf or HOH people who has cellphones) because its loud enough for me to understand and its pretty good speakerphone. I have a samsung propel if anybody was wondering.

I can understand about strangers having that misconception but parents? What's wrong with them? If they are doing that, that means they didnt take the time to understand deafness fully. I think that's a shame.

My mom understands about my deafness fully because she took a ASL class for me to communicate with me and if i needed her to interprete for me if we're out to eat and i can't understand the waitress or the doctor or stuff like that. and she understands how hard it is for me to not really understand every word they're saying. and she understands that i need CC for me to be able to understand. Basiclly the point is to be able to understand when needed. But with my dad, well he understands my deafness, he doesn't want to idk argue with me or me telling him what i know because he sometimes consider me as a smarty-pants but i'm not. He thinks i know everything and act like i know everything but honestly i dont.

i get it all the time too, "you speak so well" i cringe, often times I wish to say "its my cruel upbringing did that - it costed my social life" but as we all know here in AD, its impossible to explain this, without "Deafness" being widely understood as Racism or feminism as it is now. BUT, even though more people 'understand' or so they believe they understand it - especially those working in service-based industry with an imperative to uphold 'anti-discriminate' procedures - they still dont fully understand it properly. They never will. All I am saying is, this gross lack of understanding about deafness is much worse, so its explains why we 'cant really explain ourselves (except when we 'get to know a few others' to that we have an oppurtunity to know them as they get to know us' - that would be an exception - Im sure most of you in Alldeaf know this) back to the 'stumble' we experiences - we groans in heavy sigh simply because we know that we WISH they'd know, but our own awareness of the time need to share this knowledge about our experience is overwhelming. So we tend to brush it off in quiet disgruntle.

gosh my dad assumes that abt me all the freaking time. its always making me angry. Some days i would have a hard time hearing stuff because its either the weather is changing or i need to get another tune up for my CI or change my batteries for my HA and CI. and as for the volume for the television, if there are no CC for me avaliable in school they turn it up and just suddenly think its gonna help me. but it doesnt really. it just makes it worse for me. My dad always asks me if i'm hearing okay if i go: "huh? what" all the time on whatever day it is. or just assumes that i'm not paying attention to him and then i get into trouble if i tell him i am paying attention but i cant understand what hes saying because he talks pretty fast. and then if i try to tell him something he would interuppt me saying i'm not paying attention and assume me that i'm talking back and i just want to cry or yell at him because he doesn't understand this at all.

My dad use to call for me when I was upstairs in my bedroom with my door close! He would get mad for not answering him! He thought I should be able to hear him as I had a HA! My family also like to eat out and there were times I would go downstairs and no would be home or my family was coming
in the house laughing and in a great mood ! They had a nice time eating out! I would ask why they did not get me and someone said " we called you from downstairs and you never answered " I would be so upset, I did not answer as I never heard them! My family never understood what is was like to be HOH!

My mom understands quite well... my dad knows a bit but he is really quite unknowledgeable about my hearing loss & accomodations.

My Mom understood about my deafness.

We had our moments... When I was a kid I would say. I did not hear you mom... She would say, Yes you did.

So I am being honest. Two can play that game.

By saying that. I would at times, pretend I did not hear her to get out of doing my chores, or what not. My mother was very good at catching me doing that.

She would come to me, and ask me over, and over. Did I understand and heard what she meant and expected. I would be like Yes, Ma'am. I knew then... I was busted.

That is when the "I'm not Deaf, I'm ignoring you" Does not work. :lol:

My mother figured that one out real quick. :giggle: And so did I.

So it was not always me, not hearing or understanding her.

Back