Don't you hate it when hearing people being ignorant about deaf customers?

Very true. I have been took advantage of my so called hearing friends in the past which is why I stopped hang out with them since the incidents. I think it is not fair that many people are often focus on deaf people than hearing people for troubles. Deaf people aren't alone on this issue... There are another miniorities that have similiar problems too.

Quite true, but for me, I social in both worlds, but really deaf world is the most time I have been invovled, I also, have noticed that I don't talk much with the hearing people. But the main thing, is that the hearing and deaf people have similarity things, like problems and other things that they are concerned about. But the best thing, they should be aware about the deaf community and they are always welcome, if they are aware about it and interested in it. Despite, if they are not interested!

:lol: Amen too!

Quite true, but for me, I social in both worlds, but really deaf world is the most time I have been invovled, I also, have noticed that I don't talk much with the hearing people. But the main thing, is that the hearing and deaf people have similarity things, like problems and other things that they are concerned about. But the best thing, they should be aware about the deaf community and they are always welcome, if they are aware about it and interested in it. Despite, if they are not interested!

Oops I didn't realized that I forget to add "some" since what I said were about "all of them" which is really not... My mistake.

I agree completely that hearing and deaf people have similar things. Some people will never learn.

Oops I didn't realized that I forget to add "some" since what I said were about "all of them" which is really not... My mistake.

I agree completely that hearing and deaf people have similar things. Some people will never learn.

No problem, JJ and also, some hearing people don't realize that there have two worlds in the community. Deaf and Hearing. But there's more than that.

No problem, JJ and also, some hearing people don't realize that there have two worlds in the community. Deaf and Hearing. But there's more than that.

Right on! Sometime some hearing people tried to "degrade" me because they considered deaf people as disabled which I disagree... I got blunt with them and told them that I can do anything. They didn't believe me so a several weeks later... In my interior design class... I released my restaurant project and they were shocked that deaf people actually CAN DO ANYTHING TOO! Another time, I gave a presentation "Sell the product" for my professional practice II class, it convinced many hearing people that deaf people actually CAN SELL PRODUCTS TOO! One of my instructors assumed that deaf people don't know much about architectures or interior designs... I challenged him and asked him a couple of questions about these architecture and interior design that I know of such as why did John Hanock Tower in Boston glass fascades fell down... He was impressed that deaf people are actually SAME PEOPLE as hearing people do. Many things I did that shocked many hearing people... I gained more respect from them and their attitudes toward to deaf people changed dramatically. I don't think deaf people should just shallow it when hearing people degrade them and move on at all... They should challenge hearing people that they can do anything too!

Right on! Sometime some hearing people tried to "degrade" me because they considered deaf people as disabled which I disagree... I got blunt with them and told them that I can do anything. They didn't believe me so a several weeks later... In my interior design class... I released my restaurant project and they were shocked that deaf people actually CAN DO ANYTHING TOO!

Amen! It occured to these people, they might think deaf people can not do presentations, but deaf people can prove it, deaf people can talk, but they can use sign language at the same time and interpreter is present to relay the presentation smoothly and that is definitely no problem. Once last year, I was doing some multimedia course, and I was asked to make a genre presentation and I chosen 'Drama' genre and the research was hard but I ended up presentating the audience with excellent power points and comments from myself, expressed the interest and I was so confident and they were impressed that a dead person could do the multimedia as even that I am deaf. ANYTHING can do to the deaf people, EXCEPT that they can not hear... remember, deaf people have eyes to be alert with communication and other things they occur to do!

Another time, I gave a presentation "Sell the product" for my professional practice II class, it convinced many hearing people that deaf people actually CAN SELL PRODUCTS TOO! One of my instructors assumed that deaf people don't know much about architectures or interior designs... I challenged him and asked him a couple of questions about these architecture and interior design that I know of such as why did John Hanock Tower in Boston glass fascades fell down... He was impressed that deaf people are actually SAME PEOPLE as hearing people do. Many things I did that shocked many hearing people... I gained more respect from them and their attitudes toward to deaf people changed dramatically. I don't think deaf people should just shallow it when hearing people degrade them and move on at all... They should challenge hearing people that they can do anything too!

Excatly! Only thing is they can not hear. But that is not a problem.

Amen! It occured to these people, they might think deaf people can not do presentations, but deaf people can prove it, deaf people can talk, but they can use sign language at the same time and interpreter is present to relay the presentation smoothly and that is definitely no problem. Once last year, I was doing some multimedia course, and I was asked to make a genre presentation and I chosen 'Drama' genre and the research was hard but I ended up presentating the audience with excellent power points and comments from myself, expressed the interest and I was so confident and they were impressed that a dead person could do the multimedia as even that I am deaf. ANYTHING can do to the deaf people, EXCEPT that they can not hear... remember, deaf people have eyes to be alert with communication and other things they occur to do! .

Right on! I used my two interpreters to voice for me when I do my presentations too. Powerpoints are the best thing even invented period!

Excatly! Only thing is they can not hear. But that is not a problem.

Not every deaf individual can not hear. :)

Right on! I used my two interpreters to voice for me when I do my presentations too. Powerpoints are the best thing even invented, period!

Same here, if the presentation is very long, if it is short, one interpreter's enough ;) Powerpoint is the most powerful tool in the modern life, as it is today!

Not every deaf individual can not hear. :)

Yep, very true... even some use CI and HA's

Same here, if the presentation is very long, if it is short, one interpreter's enough ;) Powerpoint is the most powerful tool in the modern life, as it is today!

I agree. My two interpreters... One of them voice and another help other out if one of them got confused what I said or make sure he/she voiced correctly for me. Sometime they interrupt me during my presentation to make sure which words I used so they can voice correctly.

I agree. My two interpreters... One of them voice and another help other out if one of them got confused what I said or make sure he/she voiced correctly for me. Sometime they interrupt me during my presentation to make sure which words I used so they can voice correctly.

Yep, it occurs sometimes, but for me I provide the interpreter a copy of the paper which I use to present to the audience, but interruption causes sometimes, which doesn't annoy me, but making sure is the best thing rather get a bad grade... for my presentation last year, I got distincition! Which was excellent. :D

Yep, it occurs sometimes, but for me I provide the interpreter a copy of the paper which I use to present to the audience, but interruption causes sometimes, which doesn't annoy me, but making sure is the best thing rather get a bad grade... for my presentation last year, I got distincition! Which was excellent. :D

Awesome! :)

That's smart to give the copy to the interpreter. I sometime forget about that so I have to explain to the interpreters before my presentations. I don't mind interruptions, that helps me gain my trust for my interpreters since they cares if they voice correctly what I say. I hate it when some interpreters never interrupt me when I say something and acted like everything is perfect... One time I somehow found out that person voiced for me wrong what I said and I got pissed off and told that person to ask me before they voice just to make sure. That interpreter refused to admit that voiced for me wrong so I got that interpreter fired.

Awesome! :)

That's smart to give the copy to the interpreter. I sometime forget about that so I have to explain to the interpreters before my presentations. I don't mind interruptions, that helps me gain my trust for my interpreters since they cares if they voice correctly what I say. I hate it when some interpreters never interrupt me when I say something and acted like everything is perfect... One time I somehow found out that person voiced for me wrong what I said and I got pissed off and told that person to ask me before they voice just to make sure. That interpreter refused to admit that voiced for me wrong so I got that interpreter fired.

AS highlighted in bold above and I have to agree with you, JJ - trust is the most important and interruptions are a good thing, so the presentations goes very smoothly.

So in other matter, which I am curious about the deaf people boarding on aircrafts at the airports, did the on ground/ on board staff let you in first? What is the correct policy for the deaf people at the airport?

AS highlighted in bold above and I have to agree with you, JJ - trust is the most important and interruptions are a good thing, so the presentations goes very smoothly.

Yepper!

So in other matter, which I am curious about the deaf people boarding on aircrafts at the airports, did the on ground/ on board staff let you in first? What is the correct policy for the deaf people at the airport?

I usually let the attendents know that I am deaf and I will need to know when they start boarding. Sometime they lets me and people with physical challenges in first. Sometime I just go with the people that get in the plane at same time. About everytime I get on the plane, I inform the flight attendents that I am deaf and they might need to write it down if they wants to talk to me. After that, no problem!

One time, I forgot to inform the flight attendent that I am deaf... I was asleep while flying to Portland, Oregon from Minneapolis, Minnesota... The flight attendent tried to get my attention by yelled at me non-stoppable... The person who sat next to me and shook me to wake me up. I woke up and looked at the flight attendant. She gave me an attitude by said that she doesn't apperciate that I ignored her when she tried to talk to me... I informed her that I am deaf and I am sorry I forgot to inform you... She rolled her eyes and asked me DO YOU WANT A FRICKING DRINK!?!?!? I was like oh wow... Water please... She gave me the drink and moved on with an attitude. When I landed at Portland, Oregon, I was getting off the plane and that woman gave me the mean look and I told her to get over herself and grow up! She gasped and yelled at me GET OUT OF THE PLANE! I filed a complaint against her for violated the code of ethics. The airline apolopized to me of what happened but they didn't say what happened to that flight attendant.

I usually let the attendents know that I am deaf and I will need to know when they start boarding. Sometime they lets me and people with physical challenges in first. Sometime I just go with the people that get in the plane at same time. About everytime I get on the plane, I inform the flight attendents that I am deaf and they might need to write it down if they wants to talk to me. After that, no problem!

True, it happens to me, I informed them over the phone well ahead before the flight and they get plenty of time to be aware of the deaf passenger on board...which is pleasent.

One time, I forgot to inform the flight attendent that I am deaf... I was asleep while flying to Portland, Oregon from Minneapolis, Minnesota... The flight attendent tried to get my attention by yelled at me non-stoppable... The person who sat next to me and shook me to wake me up. I woke up and looked at the flight attendant. She gave me an attitude by said that she doesn't apperciate that I ignored her when she tried to talk to me... I informed her that I am deaf and I am sorry I forgot to inform you... She rolled her eyes and asked me DO YOU WANT A FRICKING DRINK!?!?!? I was like oh wow... Water please... She gave me the drink and moved on with an attitude. When I landed at Portland, Oregon, I was getting off the plane and that woman gave me the mean look and I told her to get over herself and grow up! She gasped and yelled at me GET OUT OF THE PLANE! I filed a complaint against her for violated the code of ethics. The airline apolopized to me of what happened but they didn't say what happened to that flight attendant.

Whoa, mate.. I hope that doesn't happen in the near future but for me mine was completely different and it has surprised me... a lady, last year when I was on my way home from Adeliade, knew a bit of sign language and that was the great opporunity so we can commnuicate a bit easier. It happened to me again when I was on my first flight too.. in 1997.

True, it happens to me, I informed them over the phone well ahead before the flight and they get plenty of time to be aware of the deaf passenger on board...which is pleasent.

That's wonderful! :)

Whoa, mate.. I hope that doesn't happen in the near future but for me mine was completely different and it has surprised me... a lady, last year when I was on my way home from Adeliade, knew a bit of sign language and that was the great opporunity so we can commnuicate a bit easier. It happened to me again when I was on my first flight too.. in 1997.

Yeah I hope it will not happen again in the near future. She knew a bit of sign language? That's wonderful! :) You got lucky at that time! :)

Yeah I hope it will not happen again in the near future. She knew a bit of sign language? That's wonderful! :) You got lucky at that time! :)

well, second time lucky! Perhaps, third next week? I am flying out for one week vacation.

well, second time lucky! Perhaps, third next week? I am flying out for one week vacation.

Wow! Nice! :) I plan to fly to Los Angeles, California in two weeks to visit my relatives that live just north of Los Angeles. I also will fly again to Las Vegas in a month from now. After that, few weeks to Los Angeles again for Thanksgiving. Too many flyings to do!

Wow! Nice! :) I plan to fly to Los Angeles, California in two weeks to visit my relatives that live just north of Los Angeles. I also will fly again to Las Vegas in a month from now. After that, few weeks to Los Angeles again for Thanksgiving. Too many flyings to do!

See, deaf people love to travel! And it occurs to me too!

Flights are better than driving in a car, but driving is more fun than you think, in a long trip >_<

I rather to fly than road trips. Flying save a lot of times and able to take care of business faster than road trips. I only enjoy road trips if it don't last more than six hours.

Back