Don't forget 'Sweet Nothing in My Ear' starts in 30 minutes!

It was good to see Phyliss acting again as I've always liked her.

As for the story-- it was okay. Not the best, not the worst, just another movie added on Marlee's resume.

Yea, I showed it to my hearing family when I was in AZ...even they laughed so hard despite not knowing ASL. I had to interpret it for them. Yea, it is funny and it totally shows his personality. he has always been off the wall goofy. He hung and swung from the bars in a New york City subway one time to freak people out. I was laughing and laughing so hard. I will never forget that day.

Morning Shel90, Happy Monday to all. Can you post the vido again? I would like to see it, and there are a lot of other new people now that probably haven't seen it? :)

I watched BB then the movie. I thought it was great! The only thing that upset me was the camera caught off some of Marlee's signs. The camera guy didn't do very well on showing her whole sign, just partially. I hate that! I'm going to watch DH on abc.com!

I watched last part of the movie and I hate it. It does not describe who we are, hearing husbnad and deaf wife. They were too fake. No face expression and lousy signer if they were married for many years and his signer should be more smoother and easy to communicate. My husband does not care if I am deaf but this show speak about her husband does not accept her as his deaf wife and prayed to god that his child would not be deaf. At the end if I were her, I would not go back to him.

I thought the movie was eh... not horrible... I agree that it is just another movie on Marlee's resume...

Pros:
Deaf Culture-related topic on National TV... woot.
Most deaf actors actually performed well.
I was satisfied with the way how the movie ended because it put on an neutral perspective between CI/non-CI supporters.

Cons:
The filmmaker's shooting skills with the movie was unprofessional because there were many cropped shots that you couldn't even see the whole vision of Marlee's signing. How about having a movie with great shots of Deaf people signing and cutting off hearing people's voice next? Thank you very much.

Voice over... what the heck? The captions of the voice over did not even match with what was signed during dialogues. I agree that subtitles should be used-- translated by a true ASL communicator and with no sound.

Jeff Daniel's signing skills were lousy... he couldn't even interpret at all. After a 9 year relationship, a deaf person wouldn't marry with someone who can barely communicate ASL like that. Sad to know that the whole point was to use those two actors together as an main attraction for general viewers.

I don't know if its just me, after watching the movie, I felt that it provided more negative perspective of Deaf Pride than how it should be perceived. Marlee's character's parents had a role where they actually lied to their own daughter about her deafness... c'mon, that's gonna make us deaf look bad, dont ya think?

I felt that it provided more negative perspective of Deaf Pride than how it should be perceived. Marlee's character's parents had a role where they actually lied to their own daughter about her deafness... c'mon, that's gonna make us deaf look bad, dont ya think?

Well maybe its because not all part of the deaf pride is all good, there is ugly side of the deaf pride. Such as 2 girls (not related) I knew they're coda their parents and most of relatives were deaf but they born hearing and they raised them like they're deaf and they even send 1 of them in deaf school I have no idea how, but she did.

Hallmark movie last night

Movie was GREAT .

Jeff Daniels still the bad husband role but he was great and Marly also was as always wonderful.

This movie was a good one to be seen in my house.

How well did you think it was ?
I think that it explained alot about the Deaf Culture that we haven't been able to get across to new Hearing family member's .

Kim

:repost:

We have several threads about the moving on the forum. You can use the search feature to see what's posted.

I watched BB then the movie. I thought it was great! The only thing that upset me was the camera caught off some of Marlee's signs. The camera guy didn't do very well on showing her whole sign, just partially. I hate that! I'm going to watch DH on abc.com!

Here i s my:topic:
ABC.com doesnt have captions for the episodes online, do they? Unless if youre hearing or Hard of Hearing...?

I watched the movie and frankly, it sucked!
It was sad because there was so much hassle and bitterness
over whether to let the son have CI or not..i think
they should ASK the kid if he wants one or not! After
all, it is HIS life as to whether he wants to be deaf or if he
wants to be able to hear sounds.
I knew a girl who got CI when she was about 30 years old JUST
BECAUSE HER PARENTS BEGGED HER TO GET ONE!! Well, after
several months of wearing it, she nearly had a nervous breakdown!
She could not tolerate the sounds that the normal hearing people
take for granted in this world...every sound just terrified her, gave
her bad headaches. She was so deaf most of her life and then suddenly
she hears all these strange sounds was too much for her that she pulled
out her CI and said nooo more of this!! and now she is real happy just
to be deaf as she was born to be!
I think it would be best to put CI on very young children like around 1 or
2 years old, that way they can get used to the sounds of the world and
be able to learn to speak too.

imho, The movie was your standard-run-of-the-mill cheesy Hallmark Hall of Fame movie focusing on family values - hence the ending where the importance of family is emphasized. I agree with that. I also liked the nuetral ending. They appearently did their research and realized that if they ended it one way or the other a group of people would be sending them hate mail, lol.

I also noticed that alot of the signing was cut off and the signs and spoken dialogue wasnt all that accurate or didnt flow well. Maybe its because ASL and English have each their own grammar and syntax - you cannot overlap the two and expect a word for word perfect translation.

As always Marlee did an excellent job while Jeff Daniels is a hearing actor and learned just enough signs to cover the script likely. Think of cramming a 2 year ASL course into the span of just a month or two to prepare for filming. Its not going to be perfect, nor would I expect it to be. Also some googling brought up the official website of Jeff Daniels. Jeff Daniels Website He is also a musician living in New York.

I think it was really good...I thought the ending was clever so neither sides will feel that CBS favored one side over the other (remmy the AGBAD's letter to Pespi??).

I was upset at the Dr's comment about the boy's transferring to a mainstreamed school if he gets the implant. I think that is inaccurate because many Deaf schools have chidlren with implants and they all have varying degrees of benefits from their CIs.

I agree Shel. I assume that if one is postlingually deaf then they have greater success with the CI than children born deaf. If my assumption is incorrect then feel free to set me on the right path.

I agree Shel. I assume that if one is postlingually deaf then they have greater success with the CI than children born deaf. If my assumption is incorrect then feel free to set me on the right path.

Really, in my experience it still varies..I have a student who was born deaf who has a CI. She can easily switch from spoken English without sign support and ASL without voice without a problem.

Then we have an older boy who is in middle school who was born hearing but became deaf, I think around 5, who has absulotoly no oral skills.

However, the chances of recieving better benefits from implants are better with postlinguals than with prelinguals so you are right to some degree.

That's why I believe in exposing all deaf/hoh chidlren to ASL along with spoken language cuz we never know who will benefit from whatever hearing they have. Heck, I can speak and read lips better than some HOH people despite being born with a profound deafness in both ears.

True. You yourself are an example that being profoundly deaf doesnt have to mean that you will have zero oral skills. Then the example of the students who are postlingually deaf who have CIs have trouble with using their oral skills. Is it possible that when the boy became deaf he simply 'turned off' his voice since he could no longer hear himself?

I admit that being HOH (profoundly deaf in left ear - hoh in right ear) that I do have oral skills on par of that of a hearing person. But there are times I that when I talk I am uncomprehensible simply because I speak how I hear if that makes any sense. I do remember going to speech therapy which probably helped me learn to enunciate my words more clearly when speaking instead of just being 'yabba yabba yabba'.

True. You yourself are an example that being profoundly deaf doesnt have to mean that you will have zero oral skills. Then the example of the students who are postlingually deaf who have CIs have trouble with using their oral skills. Is it possible that when the boy became deaf he simply 'turned off' his voice since he could no longer hear himself?

I admit that being HOH (profoundly deaf in left ear - hoh in right ear) that I do have oral skills on par of that of a hearing person. But there are times I that when I talk I am uncomprehensible simply because I speak how I hear if that makes any sense. I do remember going to speech therapy which probably helped me learn to enunciate my words more clearly when speaking instead of just being 'yabba yabba yabba'.

I dont work with that boy so my knowledge of his background is very limited. This is all I know of him. It could be that he simply stopped using his voice because he was so used to hearing himself and all of sudden he couldnt while I, on the other hand, never really heard my voice so I was trained to use it without being able to hear it. :dunno:

I guess you learned how to 'feel' your voice? I was born with some hearing so I learned to use my voice by being able to hear myself somewhat.

Whats strange is I used to think I had a really nice speaking voice until I heard myself on video one day - my word I sound very nasal, :rofl:

I thought the movie was good throughout but I agree with Skullchick, the ending was like... um. So what happened? I want to know what happens to the boy and the couple (did they get divorced)? Blah. It could have been a lottta better.

Back