Donate for Japan

I heard on CBS news earlier than 109 countries have offered their help for Japan, but Japan has accepted help from only 15 countries. :hmm:

I heard on CBS news earlier than 109 countries have offered their help for Japan, but Japan has accepted help from only 15 countries. :hmm:

i'm curious to know what countries are they

i'm curious to know what countries are they

They never said which countries but I'm willing to bet a google search might turn up some possibilities.

I already made my donation, with my attorney's help, whom I saw yesterday. It's not the Red Cross, different organization.

I found out last night that Japan won't accept water treatment systems, volunteers, or engineers from Water Missions International. That's the agency I donated to, so they requested permission to either refund my donation or redesignate my donation to another need. I gave them permission to redesignate the money to another area.

They tried and tried to get in, and they've been on standby with the equipment and the engineers but it looks like the Japanese officials won't change their minds. So, no go. :(

I found out last night that Japan won't accept water treatment systems, volunteers, or engineers from Water Missions International. That's the agency I donated to, so they requested permission to either refund my donation or redesignate my donation to another need. I gave them permission to redesignate the money to another area.

They tried and tried to get in, and they've been on standby with the equipment and the engineers but it looks like the Japanese officials won't change their minds. So, no go. :(

interesting. I'm going to look into this. will post if I find a reason.

ah... as I thought - some bureaucracy red tapes :roll:

Water Missions International is now on "Standby" for Japan Crisis | WCBD-TV 2
UPDATE: Water Missions International’s relief effort has been placed on standby due to Government officials in Sendai restricting water treatment from all aid organizations without previous permits.

The non-profit has halted their response, that included a Friday shipment of water treatment equipment and plans for travel of one of their Water and Sanitation Engineers to Japan with Samaritan's Purse.

Founders George and Molly Greene say "Often when disasters strike in developed countries, there are rules and regulations that restrict the ability to quickly provide treated drinking water to large populations. This is due to the country’s permitting process, which in many places takes a significant amount of time to work through.

Unfortunately, this is not new for Water Missions International; we experienced a similar situation with our Hurricane Katrina relief effort in 2005. Regarding Katrina, initially we were not allowed to utilize our water treatment systems but after a short time, the need became elevated, permitting restrictions were relaxed and we were allowed to come in and provide the much needed aid to thousands of people.The current situation in Japan is strikingly similar.

Water Missions International is indeed saddened by this response as the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reports that 2.5 million Japanese households are without access to safe water. Our staff and faithful volunteers have been working long hours since Sunday preparing equipment to be sent, and we are continuing to work with reliable partners who have strong connections and experience in both developed and underdeveloped countries.

We are grateful that many of you have donated to help support our relief efforts in Japan. Thank you for your patience and we will keep you updated as new information develops. Please don't hesitate to call with questions. Remember keep the people of Japan and the relief workers in your prayers."

PREVIOUS:

Even though Japan is one of the most developed countries in the world, right now about 1.5 million people do not have access to clean water.

A Charleston-based charity is at the frontline of helping solve the water crisis.

Water Missions International is sending purification systems with fellow relief organization Samaritan’s Purse to the disaster zone.

As of Wednesday there are 4 Living Water purification systems on the way or already in Japan, and Water Missions is preparing 8 more to go tomorrow.

“Our purpose here is to just be ready for whatever they ask for,” says WMI co-founder and CEO George Greene III.

WMI also has an engineer leaving Thursday morning for the first wave of response. More systems and more staff could soon follow.

The need for clean drinking water in Japan comes from a chain reaction of problems.

First the muddy tsunami contaminated municipal water supplies; now there wide spread power outages, and the threat of radiation is forcing people to evacuate their homes.

“At this point as we speak, our information is that the number one concern is the nuclear radiation that the people are being exposed to,” says Greene III.

WMI is sending specialized reverse osmosis filters that require trained staff on the ground in Japan, and protecting them from radiation exposure will be a constant consideration.

“It complicates things significantly,” says Greene III.

The same reverse osmosis systems were used in disaster zones like Hurricane Katrina and can take out contaminants like gasoline.

If radiation gets in the systems, it’s a $30,000 piece of equipment that has to be destroyed.

“You know you can't be too concerned about costs when you're trying to save lives,” says Greene III.

Greene III says he has no doubt Charleston and the rest of the country will replenish any money it costs to help in Japan.

“We're stepping out in faith that the money is going to be there for us to respond and our experience to date is that's what happens.”

Back